Start by marking “All the Pain Money Can Buy: The Life of Christina Onassis” as Want to Read:
All the Pain Money Can Buy: The Life of Christina Onassis

All the Pain Money Can Buy: The Life of Christina Onassis

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  70 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Published September 24th 2000 by Simon Schuster (first published March 5th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about All the Pain Money Can Buy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the Pain Money Can Buy

Don Incognito
May 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
I noticed this book at some point when I worked in a library; probably attracted by the title, I briefly looked through it and became aware of Christina Onassis' unhappy life, but was not interested in reading about the life of some heiress. Recently, I decided to read it, because I thought I might possibly find some inspiration for a certain character in a novel I'm writing.

Just because of the subject matter, I can't recommend this book. The story of Christina Onassis's extreme wealth and the s
Maliades
Jun 26, 2009 rated it liked it
I read this book on a whim - I was fixing to get rid of it (had acquired it in a purchase of a box of 'surprise books') and I couldn't, in good conscience, get rid of it without reading it... so I read it, and was so surprised with how much I enjoyed it. I never really knew about the Onassis family, never paid it much mind... but this book was more the story of a real-life 'poor little rich girl' than I've ever read... I couldn't help but feel for her, while still slightly jealous of her immense ...more
Kristine
Jul 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
I have no idea why this book is my favorite, but I enjoy reading it again and again. Poor little rich girl.
Madonna Analla
It was a very interesting book because her problems weren't solely caused by money. She had some deep seated personality issues steaming from the treatment she received from her parents. This involved neglect and manipulation due to her parent's short comings. All of this was exacerbated with the limitless wealth she inherited. I've heard it said that money, the excess of it, will cause you to be more of what you are. If you are generous, wealth will make you more generous. The opposite is true, ...more
Andd Becker
The life of Christina Onassis was fraught with despair. She had problems with parents, weight control, men, drugs, depression. Not until the birth of her daughter did she experience true happiness. She died at a young age, leaving a child whose "prospects for a happy life are precarious for the same reason her mother's were: she possesses in vast quantity something everyone who comes near her wants."
This biography is highly readable. It reads like fiction.
Kim
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Loved this book. The Trump's, Hilton's, Helmsley's are chump change compared to the original Greek shipping tycoons. This is RICH! Much history was revealed about the oil embargo as well as the very controversial marriage of the richest Greek in history to the widowed wife of President John F. Kennedy. Jackie Kennedy Onassis is shown in a different light here. This is nonfiction but reads like a fictional plot destined for disaster. A very real original Greek Tragedy so they say.
Erika Nerdypants
Read this book from the library because when I was a little girl my mother and grandmother were endlessly fascinated by Christina's many tragedies. I have to say this book is a fascinating read, fast-paced and informative. One can't help but see the train wreck coming.
Rubi
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Christina Onassis who was one of the richest young women in the world at the time of her death, aged 37

All the pain that money can buy : the life of Christina Onassis by. Living in the Trap of Luxury ,,All that money and power still couldn’t buy their health..
Nashtali ROBINSON
GREAT BOOK IN FACT I LOVE THE CHARACTERS IN IT,I FEEL LIKE READING THE BOOK OVER AND OVER AGAIN
Amy
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is amazing how you can have everything and still have nothing.
I still have my hardcover from 1992, and I don't keep very many books.
Lorraine
Jun 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Sad look at the tragic life of Christina Onassis. Well documented, reads like a novel.
Jacki
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and it's exotic locations. I inherited this book somehow and it's been on the book shelf for a few years. What a tortured soul she was... no matter what amount of $$.
Sara
Jan 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Painfully,sad and enlighting life story,
Patti Clark
Dec 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Being very wealthy is not always a good thing.Having what you need is all that's important . Friends, Family, love .

Patti
Oct 28, 2015
Teddie
Feb 10, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
More about William Wright...

Nonfiction Deals

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sous Chef: 24 Hours on the Line
    $13.99 $1.99
  • WEIRD: Because Normal Isn't Working
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Man Who Made Vermeers: Unvarnishing the Legend of Master Forger Han van Meegeren
    $14.99 $1.99