Start by marking “Finnish: An Essential Grammar” as Want to Read:
Finnish: An Essential Grammar

Finnish: An Essential Grammar

This thoroughly revised third edition of Finnish: An Essential Grammar is grounded in fundamental insights of modern linguistics and incorporates some of the latest achievements in the description of written and spoken Finnish. It gives a systematic account of the structures of the written language and offers increased attention to the key characteristics of present-day co ...more
Published October 5th 1999 by Routledge (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Finnish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finnish

Ali Cia
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A must! I used to carry with me a dictionary and this book. Finnish grammar made simple as possible, of course you will need other books as you progress but this one is clear enough for those who are just starting and feeling overwhelmed by the beautiful complexity of this language.
C
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, nonfic
It's not really a book to read from cover to cover, of course, but as a reference book it's both concise (in each article) and exhaustive (as a whole) -- at least as far as I can tell from having used it as a study aid for a couple of weeks now. It's already been invaluable in driving home just how difficult a language Finnish is to learn. (... challenge accepted.)
Christopher
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fred Karlsson originally wrote this Finnish grammar for Swedish speakers, but after it was translated into English and published by Routledge in 1999, it has become one of the most popular companions for beginners in Finnish.

Karlsson's book has all the grammar that students need to know for the first 18 months or so of Finnish studies (assuming you're going at the pace of University of Helsinki's Finnish for foreigners classes). It's not a textbook -- you'll need something like Tertt
Ursula Kallio
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is exhaustive and written in plain language (minus the inescapable grammar terminology). I have referred to this book for 20+ years. It is a joy to go back to every single time.

Pay whatever it costs because the value far outweighs the price.
Willner9
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Quintessential Finnish reference. Though guide to grammar including useful chapters on compound word formation and the spoken language, which is significantly different from the written language. A must-have reference.
George Law
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent comprehensive coverage of all aspects of Finnish grammar.
Evander v
I wavered a lot over buying this book as it was fairly expensive, but I'm very glad I did, as it's a fantastic resource, in a lot of detail but easy to follow. I use various references for studying Finnish, but this is usually my first port of call (or second after Uusikielemme!) for grammar questions. Well worth the money!
Volsung
Out of a handful of texts, this is easily the most useful aid to the Finnish language that I've found.
Terence
Jun 06, 2012
Jelle
Apr 07, 2016
Kailey Curless
A useful grammar reference book written in English for those learning the Finnish Language.
Georgiane