Start by marking “I Hate Hamlet” as Want to Read:
I Hate Hamlet

I Hate Hamlet

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  488 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
New book.
Published December 1st 1992 by Dramatists Play Service (first published January 1st 1991)

Natasha
this is a very funny play. the major theme is the greatness of theater, and the lack of recognition that greatness has in today's society, due mostly to the fact that we are raised on instant gratification. many people nowadays, myself included, have a lot of trouble sitting through Shakespeare's "Hamlet." we don't really know how to do it anymore. also i think that it wants us to know that truth is overrated, and that sometimes one must embrace absurdity. no one can be dignified all the time.
Bradley
Jul 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
My book club is reading a play for July 2013 so I'm in a bit of a theater reading frenzy.

I Hate Hamlet was amusing. It's about a TV actor who loses his job and, somehow, lands the lead of Hamlet in Central Park's summer Shakespeare series. The actor, Andrew Rally, knows that he's not a great actor. Thankfully, he's living in the old NYC apartment of John Barrymore, legendary for his portrayal of Hamlet. Even better, the apartment is haunted by Barrymore who is more than happy to give Andrew act
Scott
Mar 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
It was pretty interesting, but I am sure better to see.

I was lookign to read it to support the Hamlet unit I teach. I'll let kids know it exists, but it're really not a wonderful teaching tool. a 20 minute lesson, maybe, but not a full unit.
Matt
Feb 23, 2012 added it
Amusing play. The SCSP might be able to pull it off. Biggest challenge is teh set... if you do it as written, it is quite elaborate... some thought would need to be giving to reshaping the set.
Emma Kay Krebs
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: college, plays
Carol
Aug 28, 2012 rated it liked it
I did NOT read this play but I did see it on Broadway with Nicol Williamson and Evan Handler. Written by the clever Paul Rudnick, it was an amusing evening about the ghost of John Barrymore and an american actor but what made the show so memorable was Nicol Williamson's hatred of Evan Handler. You could feel it. Several evenings later I read that Williamson actually stabbed Handler with his sword. Handler then left the production. He was awful anyway.
Chambers Stevens
Jul 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
I saw I Hate Hamlet at a college in Mississippi.
The acting was terrible.
The set was terrible.
The direction was terrible
But the play was still a lot of fun.
Now THAT is good writing.
Kathleen
One Laugh after another
Jessica
Jul 24, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: plays, shakespeare
It's not as good of a take on Hamlet as Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, but it's still a nice little read. I'd like to see it performed.
Rhiannon
Jun 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
One word..."Meh"
Keith
Mar 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: script
A very very funny script about an actor being haunted by the ghost of John Barrymore.
James
Oct 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Very amusing. Good premise. But ... it's possibly a 2 episode sitcom.
Olivia Ward
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this play! Witty dialogue and lovable characters. Would love to see this performed live one day!
Laura K
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An actor finishes a successful run in a T.V. medical show and decides to go to NYC to try his luck at theater. The only stage role he is able to get is Hamlet in a Shakespeare in the Park production. He moves into an apartment formerly inhabited by the great actor John Barrymore. The ghost of Barrymore appears to him and teaches him a thing or two about acting (and about living).

In the meantime, a new Television comedy series is about to make an offer to him. He must decide between stage and sm
John
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really love this play and would like to play the part of Barrymore someday. Odds are that I'd have to direct to get it on stage where I'm at though.

The characters are funny but realistic and it strikes a cord with the actor in me. Obviously, this is a script, meant to be performed, not read. That being said, it was very well written. Nice tight plot with just the right amount of humor mixed with some of the realities of being an actor.

See the play or read the script. Either way, I hope you are
Jordan
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beyond a five-star. This one had be cracking up from beginning to end. It is chockfull of lunacy and merriment. The Barrymore created by Rudnick is charming, engaging and a total p*ssy-hound. Everything I imagine the true Barrymore to be. I would love love love to see this performed.
Suze
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: play-script
A funny and engaging comedy. Rudnick’s frequent allusions to Shakespearian quotes and his various plays add depth, in the same way that Shakespeare made references intended only for the educated. But it’s wholly grounded in present day vernacular and current humour.
A.
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't, though, of course. Hamlet and I have been the best companions for years now, but I can understand how he can be overwhelming. Hilarious play; I'd love to see it live!
Jess
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
A truly delightful play. It celebrates acting, theatre, and of course the Bard. If you are a fan of any or all, I would highly recommend this play.
Monica
Jul 02, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Just fun.
Lauren
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a fun play. the characters are great, one of them seems to disappear without a trace, but overall, I liked it.
Marc
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: drama, reread, 2016
Fun premise, enjoyed very much.
Briana Higgins
  • A Walk in the Woods.
  • Machinal
  • Les Liaisons Dangereuses
  • Wait Until Dark
Paul M. Rudnick is an American playwright, screenwriter and novelist. His plays include I Hate Hamlet, Jeffrey, The Most Fabulous Story Ever Told, Valhalla and The New Century. He also wrote for Premiere magazine under the pseudonym Libby Gelman-Waxner. He is openly gay.
More about Paul Rudnick