Start by marking “Cucumber Quest: The Doughnut Kingdom (Cucumber Quest, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cucumber Quest: The Doughnut Kingdom (Cucumber Quest, #1)

Cucumber Quest: The Doughnut Kingdom

(Cucumber Quest #1)

What happens when an evil queen gets her hands on an ancient force of destruction?

World domination, obviously.

The seven kingdoms of Dreamside need a legendary hero. Instead, they'll have to settle for Cucumber, a nerdy magician who just wants to go to school. As destiny would have it, he and his way more heroic sister, Almond, must now seek the Dream Sword, the only weapon
Published October 10th 2017 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Cucumber Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cucumber Quest

Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-n-stuff
This was THE CUTEST. We love a middle grade series that challenges gender norms 👏🏼
Nat
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
cucumber quest 1-- bookspoils

I nearly jumped with joy at the sight of this book on my library shelves, which made quite the show for my little sister accompanying me that day. This is just the perfect read to share with your younger sibling.

World domination, obviously.

Lola
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a sweet story.

A true feast to the eyes. I could devour it any time of day. Alright, alright, I will stop, because I could go on like this forever.

But I did like it. So much. It doesn’t take itself seriously, so you know from the start that this is a graphic novel for you to enjoy and clear your mind with.

It tries hard to be funny, that I admit, however I personally found it pleasant, clever and very entertaining. I may have chuckled a few times too.

It’s EXTREMELY light, so don’t go on th
First Second Books
Oct 10, 2017 marked it as first-second-publications
Join nerdy magician Cucumber and his feisty knight-in-training little sister, Almond, as they set out to retrieve the Dream Sword, the only weapon powerful enough to defeat Evil Queen Cordelia’s Nightmare Knight. Cucumber Quest: The Doughnut Kingdom is the first of a series of delightfully pun-filled middle grade graphic novel that anyone would love!
Lauryn
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O.W.L.S MAGICAL READATHON 2019 | BOOK #6 | CARE FOR MAGICAL CREATURES (land animal on the cover)

I know I'm bending this challenge a bit but the characters are rabbits and it's on the cover. Anyways this pretty much describes how I feel about this book: 😍😍😍😍😍. This has been a moment with Lauryn.
Elinor Master of Gifs
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
NOW THAT WAS CUTE AND FUN
Ivy
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-stan-lee
Cucumber Quest is one of the best webcomics out there, and while the online version currently isn't really doing it for me, looking back at the first arc is very sweet, and reminds me why I feel in love with the comic in the first place.
Ash
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was stupidly cute, and I’m so happy!
Kristin
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
At first glance, Cucumber Quest seem like the kind of book that's going to be obnoxiously cutesy (Everyone is named after food! Wacky! There are BLT knights! Zany! Adults are oblivious ditzes! Ra-ra-random!) but it gradually turns into something that combines the best parts of a video game you'd love to play and an animated series you'd want to binge. It's funny and just self-aware enough to pepper its 'epic quest' story with interesting twists on the usual tropes.
Laura (ローラ)
I initially liked this sweet art style, cute characters and story premise. But, started to get bored about half way through. The writing in this felt flat, and the story lost focus. It might make a recovery in the second volume though. I would still safely recommend this to a new reader who was interested in princesses, knights and quests.
Artemis
OMG this is so cute and hilarious! Why isn't it more popular?

'Cucumber Quest' is a children's comic that parodies the hero's journey in the fantasy genre, and it is spectacularly fun to read.

In the world of Dreamside, Cucumber is a shy kid and aspiring wizard who wants to go to school, after studying hard for admission. But he is suddenly called on by his criminal dad, Lord Cabbage, to go on an epic quest to stop the evil "Queen" Cordelia from taking over Dreamside, using some runes/stones and
Giselle Bradley
While I really enjoyed reading this and seeing how it was flipping tropes unfortunately it also fell into a lot of other tropes that made it seem lazy. Like Sir Bacon who is a pig who is (slightly) overweight so of course ALL he thinks about is food and is constantly tripping and being overall very ditzy. Which as we all know, fat, short people are. And Dame Lettuce who is obsessed with a guy who is a jerk. She also keeps a diary and wears makeup so obviously she's stupid. The only 2 characters ...more
Siina
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cucumber Quest 1: The Doughnut Kingdom was extremely funny and cute up to a point of being annoying! A weird combination, really. In this dream-filled candyland called Dreamside, the seven kingdoms need a savior, since the evil queen of sorts has decided to revive the dark night and Cucumber "Cuco" needs to save the day. Except he's a young nerd boy, who needs constant saving and his bodyguard is his sister Almond. The adventure is like a magical road-trip filled with odd humor. The most I enjoy ...more
Sara
The art was DAMN ADORABLE and I loved that almost all the characters were named after food!! While overall I enjoyed its lightheartedness and its ability to make fun of itself/point out flaws, sometimes it pointed them out too obviously. Regardless, a super cute, quick read!!
Jeimy
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
This story was too cutesy for my taste: While bookworm Cucumber is expected to become a hero, it is his sister Almond who is ready to save the day. Its audience is supposed to be for middle schoolers, but I think it is better suited for elementary.

My favorite part came at the end when readers get a better view of the entire world created by D.G. I was inspired to go back to the story to look at each character's ears and determine where they hail from.
Misty
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75 Very cute and silly, sure to win over young readers. Would probably make a great read-along with an adult for younger kids, too.
Michelle
I'm not sure why this landed so well with me but OMG I absolutely loved loved loved this.

Cucumber is a rabbit boy who just wants to go to school to learn to be a magician. Too bad his dad is forcing him to go on a heroic quest to stop an evil queen from taking over! With the help of his younger sister Almond (who yearns to be a knight) and a disgraced knight, the trio embark on a quest for the legendary Dream Sword.

The biggest and most obvious draw to this book is the art. D.G. uses a stunning
Lyvia
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel

This is such a sweet story with a sense of humor that is right up my alley.

All Cucumber wants to do is go to the magic school of his dreams. Against his will, his father sends him on a great adventure - to find the last legendary hero's sword and fight an ancient evil that threatens to destroy the Doughnut Kingdom.
Unlike Cucumber, his little sister Almond is more than ready to beat up some evil monsters. As is known to everyone though, little sisters aren't supposed to be legendary hero materia
Sesana
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
The art is really great, very cute and bright. I do sort of like the themed kingdom concept, with everybody in the Donut Kingdom named after food. The dialog isn't the greatest in the world, though there's some really good lines skewering standard heroic narratives. The plotting seemed a bit loose to me, a bit meandering. But I'm having fun anyways, flaws and all. It's just cute enough and just pretty enough and just fun enough to make me want more.
Were Wolf
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Very cute comic series, with a unique water color artistic style, and a sophisticated sense of humor I was not expecting for a children's comic. Cucumber is all set to start school at Puffington's Academy for a Magically Gifted (and/or Incredibly Wealthy) when his father strong arms him into going on a quest to save the world. Cucumber does not think of himself as a legendary hero, nor does his sister Almond, but luckily she's ready to come along on the journey. This comedic action story is sure ...more
Natalia
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Este cómic se puede resumir con una palabra: adorable.
Es una historia divertida, sin muchas complicaciones, y que busca sacar una sonrisa en sus lectores. Para algunos, quizá, pueda resultar un tanto infantil, pero, para mí, es uno de esos comics que te alegran la tarde (y te transmiten muchísima ternura).

También debo decir que el dibujo/color de Gigi D.G. es precioso, además que le va como anillo al dedo a la historia.
C.E. G
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was fun - laughed out loud a number of times. A sense of humor that reminded me a bit of Brian Lee O'Malley.
Lauren
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This was more fun than I imagined! In an adorable way that is. But it’s only the first part of the story!
Margaret
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to me by an eight year old who added “#2 is the best “ Can’t wait!
Rhica
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Super fun story! The art reminds of a video game and the characters are compelling, funny, and not the standard clichés.
Elizabeth Mellen
😍😍😍 this was so perfect and adorable and funny, can’t wait to continue.
Summer
The art in Cucumber Quest was lovely and younger readers may find this a fun romp. For me it felt a little too over the top and silly.
Cara
Meh. I wasn't super into this one. There was a lot of build up, but no pay off. I know it's a cliffhanger but I'm not feeling the need to keep going.
The Carrion Librarian
Very cute. The fourth wall breaks and genre aware humour was a nice surprise.
Paige
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
The concept was so ridiculous that it sucked me right in. Picking up the second one now.

• The Cobalt Prince (5 Worlds #2)
  • Star Scouts
  • Dragons Beware! (Chronicles of Claudette, #2)
  • The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)
  • Princeless, Vol. 4: Be Yourself
  • Space Battle Lunchtime Vol. 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion
  • Adventure Time Vol. 7
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 2: The Show Must Go On
  • Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)
  • Unicorn of Many Hats (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #7)
  • Red's Planet (Red's Planet #1)
  • Sparks!
  • Fake Blood
  • Hippopotamister
  • Cici's Journal: The Adventures of a Writer-In-Training
  • Mr. Pants: It's Go Time!
  • The Thief and the Sword (Cleopatra in Space, #2)
  • The City on the Other Side

Cucumber Quest (4 books)
  • Cucumber Quest: The Ripple Kingdom (Cucumber Quest, #2)
  • The Melody Kingdom (Cucumber Quest, #3)
  • The Flower Kingdom (Cucumber Quest, #4)