Start by marking “Cucumber Quest: The Doughnut Kingdom (Cucumber Quest, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cucumber Quest: The Doughnut Kingdom (Cucumber Quest, #1)

Cucumber Quest: The Doughnut Kingdom

(Cucumber Quest #1)

What happens when an evil queen gets her hands on an ancient force of destruction?

World domination, obviously.

The seven kingdoms of Dreamside need a legendary hero. Instead, they'll have to settle for Cucumber, a nerdy magician who just wants to go to school. As destiny would have it, he and his way more heroic sister, Almond, must now seek the Dream Sword, the only weapon
Published October 10th 2017 by First Second

Start your review of Cucumber Quest: The Doughnut Kingdom (Cucumber Quest, #1)
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was THE CUTEST. We love a middle grade series that challenges gender norms 👏🏼
Whitney Atkinson
This book had really cute art, but for a middle grade, it reads REALLY young to the point where this felt super cliche. It was cute and the cliffhanger leaves it so that the series would probably be addicting to binge, but I don't think I'll be continuing because I didn't think it was anything new or special.
Nat
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
cucumber quest 1-- bookspoils

I nearly jumped with joy at the sight of this book on my library shelves, which made quite the show for my little sister accompanying me that day. This is just the perfect read to share with your younger sibling.

World domination, obviously.

Cristina Monica
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a sweet story.

A true feast to the eyes. I could devour it any time of day. Alright, alright, I will stop, because I could go on like this forever.

But I did like it. So much. It doesn’t take itself seriously, so you know from the start that this is a graphic novel for you to enjoy and clear your mind with.

It tries hard to be funny, that I admit, however I personally found it pleasant, clever and very entertaining. I may have chuckled a few times too.

It’s EXTREMELY light, so don’t go on th
First Second Books
Oct 10, 2017 marked it as first-second-publications
Join nerdy magician Cucumber and his feisty knight-in-training little sister, Almond, as they set out to retrieve the Dream Sword, the only weapon powerful enough to defeat Evil Queen Cordelia’s Nightmare Knight. Cucumber Quest: The Doughnut Kingdom is the first of a series of delightfully pun-filled middle grade graphic novel that anyone would love!
Lauryn
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O.W.L.S MAGICAL READATHON 2019 | BOOK #6 | CARE FOR MAGICAL CREATURES (land animal on the cover)

I know I'm bending this challenge a bit but the characters are rabbits and it's on the cover. Anyways this pretty much describes how I feel about this book: 😍😍😍😍😍. This has been a moment with Lauryn.
Elinor Master of Gifs
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
NOW THAT WAS CUTE AND FUN
Lyvia
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it

This is such a sweet story with a sense of humor that is right up my alley.

All Cucumber wants to do is go to the magic school of his dreams. Against his will, his father sends him on a great adventure - to find the last legendary hero's sword and fight an ancient evil that threatens to destroy the Doughnut Kingdom.
Unlike Cucumber, his little sister Almond is more than ready to beat up some evil monsters. As is known to everyone though, little sisters aren't supposed to be legendary hero materi
Kristin
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
At first glance, Cucumber Quest seem like the kind of book that's going to be obnoxiously cutesy (Everyone is named after food! Wacky! There are BLT knights! Zany! Adults are oblivious ditzes! Ra-ra-random!) but it gradually turns into something that combines the best parts of a video game you'd love to play and an animated series you'd want to binge. It's funny and just self-aware enough to pepper its 'epic quest' story with interesting twists on the usual tropes.
Ivy Moore
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cucumber Quest is one of the best webcomics out there, and while the online version currently isn't really doing it for me, looking back at the first arc is very sweet, and reminds me why I feel in love with the comic in the first place.
Siina
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cucumber Quest 1: The Doughnut Kingdom was extremely funny and cute up to a point of being annoying! A weird combination, really. In this dream-filled candyland called Dreamside, the seven kingdoms need a savior, since the evil queen of sorts has decided to revive the dark night and Cucumber "Cuco" needs to save the day. Except he's a young nerd boy, who needs constant saving and his bodyguard is his sister Almond. The adventure is like a magical road-trip filled with odd humor. The most I enjoy ...more
Michelle
I'm not sure why this landed so well with me but OMG I absolutely loved loved loved this.

Cucumber is a rabbit boy who just wants to go to school to learn to be a magician. Too bad his dad is forcing him to go on a heroic quest to stop an evil queen from taking over! With the help of his younger sister Almond (who yearns to be a knight) and a disgraced knight, the trio embark on a quest for the legendary Dream Sword.

The biggest and most obvious draw to this book is the art. D.G. uses a stunning
Laura (ローラ)
I initially liked this sweet art style, cute characters and story premise. But, started to get bored about half way through. The writing in this felt flat, and the story lost focus. It might make a recovery in the second volume though. I would still safely recommend this to a new reader who was interested in princesses, knights and quests.
James
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This has to be one of the cutest graphic novels. The whole thing takes place on an island kingdom known as the Doughnut Kingdom. Literally everyone and everything is named after food. From what I’ve seen each book in the series is going to take place in a different kingdom of the world of Dreamside! So excited to see the Ripple Kingdom
next!

Ok so this story follows a young citizen of dreamside called Cucumber. He’s just about to set out to magic school when he gets an urgent letter from his dad t
Giselle Bradley
While I really enjoyed reading this and seeing how it was flipping tropes unfortunately it also fell into a lot of other tropes that made it seem lazy. Like Sir Bacon who is a pig who is (slightly) overweight so of course ALL he thinks about is food and is constantly tripping and being overall very ditzy. Which as we all know, fat, short people are. And Dame Lettuce who is obsessed with a guy who is a jerk. She also keeps a diary and wears makeup so obviously she's stupid. The only 2 characters ...more
Jeimy
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
This story was too cutesy for my taste: While bookworm Cucumber is expected to become a hero, it is his sister Almond who is ready to save the day. Its audience is supposed to be for middle schoolers, but I think it is better suited for elementary.

My favorite part came at the end when readers get a better view of the entire world created by D.G. I was inspired to go back to the story to look at each character's ears and determine where they hail from.
Sara
The art was DAMN ADORABLE and I loved that almost all the characters were named after food!! While overall I enjoyed its lightheartedness and its ability to make fun of itself/point out flaws, sometimes it pointed them out too obviously. Regardless, a super cute, quick read!!
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm down with this trend of meta-stories. I'm down with the gender commentary. I'm down with taking tropes and norms of older stories and twisting and changing them. This was fun to look at and enjoyable to get lost in and felt too short! I'm looking forward to the next volume.
Sesana
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
The art is really great, very cute and bright. I do sort of like the themed kingdom concept, with everybody in the Donut Kingdom named after food. The dialog isn't the greatest in the world, though there's some really good lines skewering standard heroic narratives. The plotting seemed a bit loose to me, a bit meandering. But I'm having fun anyways, flaws and all. It's just cute enough and just pretty enough and just fun enough to make me want more.
Maggie Librarian
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Very cute comic series, with a unique water color artistic style, and a sophisticated sense of humor I was not expecting for a children's comic. Cucumber is all set to start school at Puffington's Academy for a Magically Gifted (and/or Incredibly Wealthy) when his father strong arms him into going on a quest to save the world. Cucumber does not think of himself as a legendary hero, nor does his sister Almond, but luckily she's ready to come along on the journey. This comedic action story is sure ...more
Michelle
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This seems to be one of those middle-grade graphic novels that will probably only be fully appreciated by the intended audience.

The story itself relied heavily on humor but the downfall was that each character had an identical immature sense of humor. I was honestly rolling my eyes more than anything while reading this book. The food puns were enjoyable but that was the most this story had going for it.

While the illustrations were nice, it was a bit on the bright side, quite busy, and had too ha
Leslie
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is utterly delightful in every way. I love the very on-the-nose comments after the duffy father and the ridiculousness of all the adults' gender expectations. All the characters are fun, both in design and voice, and it's very clear that this entire world is intricately planned out. I must track down the second volume immediately.
Hannah McManus
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely, ridiculously, freakishly ADORABLE. Like I kind of feel like if the child of Animal Crossing and Gravity Falls had an affair with a stereotypical quest story, this would be the result. A-fricking-dorably bonkers. I love it.
Cara
Meh. I wasn't super into this one. There was a lot of build up, but no pay off. I know it's a cliffhanger but I'm not feeling the need to keep going.
Rhica
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Super fun story! The art reminds of a video game and the characters are compelling, funny, and not the standard clichés.
C.E. G
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was fun - laughed out loud a number of times. A sense of humor that reminded me a bit of Brian Lee O'Malley.
Lauren
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This was more fun than I imagined! In an adorable way that is. But it’s only the first part of the story!
Summer
The art in Cucumber Quest was lovely and younger readers may find this a fun romp. For me it felt a little too over the top and silly.
Margaret
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to me by an eight year old who added “#2 is the best “ Can’t wait!
Elizabeth Mellen
😍😍😍 this was so perfect and adorable and funny, can’t wait to continue.

• Chasma Knights
  • The Cobalt Prince
  • The Sand Warrior
  • Pilu of the Woods
  • Aquicorn Cove
  • The Red Maze
  • Witches in Training (Hex Vet, #1)
  • The City on the Other Side
  • The Singing Rock & Other Brand-New Fairy Tales
  • Snapdragon
  • Aster and the Accidental Magic
  • The Okay Witch
  • Glitch
  • Star Scouts
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • Making Friends (Making Friends, #1)
  • My Beijing: Four Stories of Everyday Wonder
  • The Witch Boy (The Witch Boy, #1)

Cucumber Quest (4 books)
  • Cucumber Quest: The Ripple Kingdom (Cucumber Quest, #2)
  • The Melody Kingdom (Cucumber Quest, #3)
  • The Flower Kingdom (Cucumber Quest, #4)

News & Interviews