Start by marking “Moxie” as Want to Read:
Moxie

Moxie

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  25,031 ratings  ·  5,317 reviews
Moxie girls fight back!

Vivian Carter is fed up. Fed up with her small-town Texas high school that thinks the football team can do no wrong. Fed up with sexist dress codes and hallway harassment. But most of all, Viv Carter is fed up with always following the rules.

Viv’s mom was a punk rock Riot Grrrl in the ’90s, so now Viv takes a page from her mother’s past and creates a
Published September 19th 2017 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Moxie, please sign up.
M. Right, because who wants to read a book about a girl gaining in self esteem, befriending other girls, and learning not to stay silent when she and oth…moreRight, because who wants to read a book about a girl gaining in self esteem, befriending other girls, and learning not to stay silent when she and other girls are treated like second class citizens? :)(less)
Kelly While the protagonist is a junior, I think the target audience for the book is a bit younger. I think my grade 8 & 9 students are going to be more int…moreWhile the protagonist is a junior, I think the target audience for the book is a bit younger. I think my grade 8 & 9 students are going to be more interested in it than my grade 10-12 students, who tend to appreciate novels with a bit more moral and literary complexity.(less)

·  25,031 ratings  ·  5,317 reviews

Start your review of Moxie
Emma Giordano
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’m going to be very transparent in the fact that I am never going to stop obsessing over this book. So be prepared, especially in the coming months of Moxie’s release, I ain’t shutting up about it.

I absolutely LOVED this book, way more than I anticipated. I originally wasn’t sure when I’d get to it, it just wasn’t high on my TBR, but after a sexist review, I knew I had to make it a priority and boy, did I make the right decision.

I do want to place a content warning for sexual harassment and tal
Elle (ellexamines)
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a fun feminist contemporary
In light of Kirkus' gross review of this, an added paragraph. I do not at all agree that this book “drives away male allies.” Given the content of the book Kirkus was referring to, I am of the opinion that this is a really gross opinion. If you think “calling out a person who's victim-blaming a rape survivor” is the same as “driving away male allies”, please consider blocking me.

This isn't even an accurate concern. The dude we're referring too, the main character's boyfriend, is given a chance
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $2.99 on kindle US today 6/27/20

This book was totally amazing! I was in tears near the end with all of the girls standing up together. They were there for each other, girls from all walks of life to stand up against those that try to make them something they are not, for trying to push them into corners to go along with things that shouldn't be. This book is all powerful in its own way.

Viv is a girl that goes to high school like your normal teen. She lives with her mom, her dad died whe
Caz (littlebookowl)
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone! It is so empowering and heartwarming to see these high school girls banding together to fight back against the sexism they face on a daily basis.

MOXIE GIRLS FIGHT BACK!

Content warning: sexual assault, rape
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
"This is what it means to be a feminist. Not a humanist or an equalist or whatever. But a feminist. It's not a bad word. After today it might be my favorite word. Because really all it is is girls supporting each other and wanting to be treated like human beings in a world that's always finding ways to tell them they're not."

A book about a teen girl coming into her own as a feminist and learning how to fight back against the patriarchy and rape culture? ... do you think I could have clicked "re
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
4 Stars

“…a feminist. It’s not a bad word. After today it might be my favorite word. Because really all it is is girls supporting each other and wanting to be treated like human beings in a world that’s always finding ways to tell them they’re not.”

Okay, I’ll admit it. I was so nervous about reading this. I absolutely consider myself a feminist, but I also think writing a fiction book about a political/social movement is tricky. It’s very easy to lose focus on the characters and story—or e
may ➹
super important messages, made me angry but also smile, & reminds everyone about the power of one girl’s voice against the patriarchy!!!

(also, this is my third YA book ever that I’ve read in one day. hell yeah)

// buddy read with birthday girl!!! 🎉
Tatiana
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: actual young teens or middle schoolers
Shelves: book-club, ya, 2, starred-2017, 2018
A little quiz.

1) A guy who repeatedly yells to you "Make me a sandwich!" and wears a t-shirt with the words "Nice legs, when do they open"? is:

a) bad
b) good
c) I don't know

2) Who should be punished for breaking school dress code: a girl who wears a scoop-neck shirt or a guy who wears a t-shirt with a big arrow pointing to bellow his waist and words "Free Breathalyzer Test Blow Here"?

a) boy
b) girl
c) I don't know

3) What should a high school principal do when a girl reports being sexually assaulted
emma
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
first half of this book: boring boring boring contemporary boring high school boring everything boring meh

second half of this book: FEMINIST CITY INTERSECTIONAL GLORY GIRLS BEING GIRLS TOGETHER AND BRINGING EACH OTHER UP FOR LIFE I LOVE IT and also a fair bit more making out than is my ideal

Basically, if I could delete the first 150 pages of this and also the entire romance subplot from the whole thing, this would be a five star read. And also like 20 pages long. So as is, it's not perfect for m
Whitney Atkinson
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was so touching. I love the fire and passion of all the characters about justice, and I think it's such an important narrative. The fact that the love interest identified as a feminist was enough to bring tears to my eyes. And I also love how this touches on the fact that feminism isn't perfect and people who try to help still makes mistakes. I wish 16 year old me could have read this and been inspired, so it's my only hope that girls that age will really internalize this.

My only two c
Joce (squibblesreads)
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars (maybe 3.5 if I decide to weigh the issue I speak about more heavily)
I enjoyed this, and I wish there'd been more books like this when I was a teen!
My favorite parts were the shoutout to Roxane Gay (woohoo!), the depiction of the small town, and the portrayal of the different ways the adult men at the school were particularly shitty and how the power dynamic played into it. I also loved how Viv's relationship with her mom wasn't necessarily perfect, and that some things were out of he
Warda
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I pretty much inhaled this book. What an amazing story on what it means to be a feminist. I loved that it surrounded young girls fighting for their rights. For equality. For calling bullshit on the status quo. For empowering themselves and others to speak up and beautifully supporting each other.

What's even better is that more and more YA books are coming out that speak on issues that matter. It teaches the reader a lot and they're such great stories to find inspiration from. Heck, I'm 26 and I
Éimhear (A Little Haze)
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Teens learning about feminism for the first time
Recommended to Éimhear (A Little Haze) by: Aimee
I wasn't going to read Moxie. I got the vibe from it that it was sort of a book for the younger end of the YA spectrum and well... I'm a couple of decades past that *gulps*

But in my book group (currently recruiting new, interested members so hit me up for an invite 👍🏻)... Anyway we have this reading challenge this summer and basically we are all recommending different books to each other to read and discuss together. It's good fun!

So one of my friends in the group, Aimee *waves at Aimee* recomm
Maddie
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my new favourite book. Full of feminism, girls supporting girls and taking action against injustice. Everything about this is just so powerful! It makes me want to stand up and cheer and fight back just like the Riot Grrrls would.

I loved how Viv didn't feel any ownership over the Moxie movement because in the end it belonged to all girls. I'd get so excited when a new girl was added to the team and the way the book spreads such a positive message about intersectional feminism. Viv, Luc
Tan Markovic
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reviews can be found at: www.booknerdtan.wordpress.com

Gutted I can only rate this 5/5 stars.
Wow. That book made me so happy.
The entire book was amazing, however, the last few chapters were SO powerful.
Did anyone else want to be a part of Moxie from start to finish and still do?

The book focuses on how powerful girls can be when they unite against the daily BULLSHIT girls have to go through rather than turn against each other and how you don't have to be loud to be heard. I'm glad the author didn'
Beth
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Moxie Girls Fight Back! ALL OF THE STARS FOR YOU!

Really all it is, is girls supporting each other and wanting to be treated like human beings in a world that's finding ways to tell them they're not.

Trigger Warning: Sexual Assault

If I could just stand up and applaud this book. IT IS AMAZING. In the last 30 pages I could of cried at just how proud I am of all the girls (and some boys) at the awful awful school! I can safely say that I identify as a Feminist, and sometimes this word can be seen as
Yusra  ✨
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
so i basically felt nothing but annoyed :)
rtc
—-
pre-reading:
ready to feel empowered, angry, and everything in between
Kate (GirlReading)
Moxie is a powerful story of feminism, girls supporting girls and standing up for yourself, your friends and those whose voices are hushed. It was a story full of badass, empowering, strong women and equally strong friendships pulling together to fight the good fight. The writing was easy to read, the characters were instantly likeable and the relationships, whether in a romantic, platonic or family sense, were wonderful to follow. My only criticism is that, although it is discussed in places an ...more
Booktastically Amazing
Ahahahaha, no.

(Please bear in mind that Booksy was very irate, annoyed, vexed, infuriated, galled... um... add other synonyms of 'angry' here, porfavor. So we attribute all crazy-sounding spiels to that self. Thank you, and we hope you enjoy this very poor, and very not professional production. Aka, ranting)

Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟⭐ 4.1

Feminism: the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes.

You can still be a feminist and think that guys are decent.
You can still be a feminist and
Jill
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I feel so honored that I have the ability to review this book early! I received this from my local bookstore and I could not be more grateful (:

YAY YAY YAY THIS BOOK PREACH IT! I haven't felt this empowered since I saw Wonder Woman xD

Ok let's start at the beginning of my journey with this book shall we? I was first exposed to Moxie when a firestorm of hype surrounded it because of a review calling this book anti male and all that. To be perfectly honest with you all, that made me slightly hesit
~Jo~
Apr 12, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feminism, i-m-in-love
I'm going to be absolutely clear here: This book was a riot! I only wish I'd read it sooner. So, thanks awfully Netflix for reminding me to sort myself out and finally get to it.

I went in blindly here. I knew it was a book based on feminism, and girls standing up to sexist pigs, but I enjoyed this more than I'd hoped.

I think that school's should have discussions on this book in classrooms, as well as Vagina: A Re-education, I think that would make for an interesting, but yet an important lesson
Rae
Mar 31, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feministastic
**might change to 5 stars
Y'know that feeling when you go to class for the very first time and you don't know anyone there and you're overthinking you're never going to fit in when this super seemingly amazing girl who sits next to you suddenly talks to you and you get along and she invites you to sit with her at lunch and then and there you know that you'll be the best of friends? A strangely accurate description but this is my feelings for this book in a nutshell.

PS.
This book and I did become
TJL
I knew exactly what I was getting into.

I knew that.

I knew this book was going to be "Why Feminism is DA BEST THING EVAR and Boys Are Icky Yucky Sexist Dudebro Pigs". I knew that.

So why did I decide to read it?

Fuck if I know. I guess I just like watching train-wrecks.

So let me just outline some highlights- in no particular order- with a reminder that I am a woman, and therefore are especially fucking bothered by some of this shit:

(view spoiler)
Bee
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: standalones
Well that was just all around fantastic, wasn't it.

Moxie is powerful and fun, with some seriously strong female friendships. I loved the coming together of the community, and how Viv was applying her feminism to her own relationship. I just wish more had happened between Viv and her mum, there were probably a couple of important conversations waiting to happen. But this book make me proud to be a girl, and I definitely need more Moxie girls in my life!
MissBecka Gee
Original Review July 2018:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!!!!!!
Having been a teenager in the 90's, I found so many wonderful references to the Riot Grrrl bands I love screaming off the pages.
I found myself throwing on Bikini Kill, L7, Babes in Toyland, and Jack off Jill to create my soundtrack for this read.
The nostalgia of it all, of course, tugged at my heart strings and had me saying YASSSSS so much.
I did feel a bit old while reading this since I had more in common with Vivian's mom than with Vivian l
tappkalina
Jan 23, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star
I LOVED the message and the Moxie parts, but boy, the romance was so weak and unnecessary. It actually took away from the whole experience.

If you're looking for a similar book, try The Nowhere Girls. I enjoyed that one much more.
ambsreads
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
TRIGGER WARNINGS: sexual assault, misogyny
REVIEW WARNING: it's a hell lot of babble

THIS REVIEW IS ALSO ON MY BLOG

R A M B L E

If you ever get one book recommendation from my blog make it Moxie. Honestly, this is one of the most amazing books I have ever read. Honestly. I wish I could make everyone I know read this book. It is valuable and it is powerful.

These days, the word feminist is seen as a dirty word by some. It means man-hater, it means unwashed, it means venomous. Many shy away from usin
Eli
4.5* I LOVED THIS SO MUCH!
There are just some books out there that all people with (and without) a pulse should read, that would clear some massive problems! If I had a son I would shove it in his face and make him read it (but basically I did it with my boyfriend and he really loved this so yeah.. you don't always have to apply force I guess...)
As and english teacher I would put this on all the reading lists because even though I'm a few years older than those characters I loved the message and
Helena Paris
Feb 05, 2021 rated it liked it
I actually really enjoyed this! Feminism in face of the patriarchy in high school! Woo!
Fafa's Book Corner
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner!

Beware spoilers ahead!

Trigger warning: Rape, blackmailing, harassment, bullying, slut shaming, mention of accident, sexism, misogyny, and mention of death.

Vivian is used to everything. She's used to behaviour of the boys. Used to all the sexist jokes, and the boy being able to get away with everything. Until Lucy transfers. Lucy is the new girl and the latest victim of Mitchell's harassment. Viv puts her foot down. Why should she and the rest of the girls ha
Books for Change: July 2021 BOTM: Moxie 1 8 Jul 01, 2021 11:35PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Moxie By Jennifer Mathieu - Restarting June 18th 2021 27 101 Jun 27, 2021 06:27PM
Books for Change: Moxie 1 3 Jun 08, 2021 10:13PM
Orland Park Publi...: July 2021 Teen Book Club: Moxie by Jennifer Mathieu 1 3 May 27, 2021 08:41AM
Reading By Moonli...: August 2019 Book Announcement 1 4 Jul 27, 2019 04:50PM

• Todas Nuestras Noches
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper #2)
  • Girl Made of Stars
  • Brillarás
  • Heartstopper, Volume Four (Heartstopper, #4)
  • Unpregnant
  • Matilde debe morir
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Pumpkin (Dumplin', #3)
  • The Nowhere Girls
  • Rules for Being a Girl
  • Serás
  • Kate in Waiting
  • Matilde decide vivir
  • Good Girl, Bad Blood (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #2)
  • Boulevard
  • Instructions for Dancing
See top shelves…
I'm a high school English teacher, writer, wife, and mom who writes books for and about young adults. My novels are MOXIE, THE TRUTH ABOUT ALICE, DEVOTED, AFTERWARD, and THE LIARS OF MARIPOSA ISLAND.

My fourth novel MOXIE is a film on Netflix, directed by Amy Poehler!

My sixth novel, BAD GIRLS NEVER SAY DIE, will be out in October 2021. It's a gender-flipped, feminist reimagining of one of my favor