Start by marking “When's My Birthday?” as Want to Read:
When's My Birthday?

When's My Birthday?

In this enthusiastic celebration of all things BIRTHDAY, acclaimed author Julie Fogliano and award-winning illustrator Christian Robinson bring you the perfect birthday book! Join our excited narrator as she lists all the things that will make her birthday the BEST birthday.

when’s my birthday?
where’s my birthday?
how many days until my birthday?

i’d like a pony for my birthd
Published September 5th 2017 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about When's My Birthday?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When's My Birthday?

Start your review of When's My Birthday?
Kimberly
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the #kidlitexchange network for providing me with a copy of this book to read and review. All opinions are my own. This book will be released 9.5.17!!!

This is such a cute, short book that centers around the buzz and excitement a young child has anticipating their birthday. Parents can easily identify with the numerous one sentenced questions and ideas that are brought up throughout the story. I often turned to my daughter and commented that it reminded me of someone. Having just ce
Lauren Stoolfire
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
You can just feel the excitement coming out of this one! As a parent, though, I would expect it could get old quick after reading it aloud a dozen times.
Chance Lee
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-it
I feel like this book could quickly become as annoying as a child constantly wondering when his/her birthday is. I kind of wanted a character in the book to be like, YOUR BIRTHDAY IS FOREVER AWAY STOP TALKING ABOUT IT. Instead, the book ends with a little birthday party. Ask when your birthday is for long enough, and eventually it will be your birthday.

The illustrations are adorable, especially the animals, like the giraffe and the sloth who are invited to the birthday party.

The end has a cute
Ⓟⓔⓐⓒⓗⓨ Ⓚⓔⓔⓝ Ⓡⓔⓐⓓⓢ
A storybook on a little girl asking when's her birthday?

I love Julie Fogliano and Christian Robinson so when I found out they were collaborating, I was very happy.
The book is thin and narrow so it fits on a bookshelf like a glove.
Lovely.
Marissa Elera
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, birthdays
Could this book possibly be more perfect?!
Allie
I love this book so much. I recently read it for a virtual story time (the week after my birthday because of some unforeseen scheduling difficulties), and it was such a joy. The text is so ebullient and it is a true pleasure to read aloud. I read it for my birthday, but it would also be a good January story time book to kick off the year and talk about everyone's birthday. ...more
Bethany
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Infectiously bouncy and hopeful, perfectly capturing the uncertainty, joy, and wishful imagining of a small child.
DaNae
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Encapsulated the agony and ecstasy of waiting for that one special day.
Dee Dee G
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
If your child loves birthdays as much as my son loves them then they will like this
Margie
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's one day out of three hundred sixty-five days when you (and family and friends, if you are fortunate) celebrate your presence on our planet. Every year on the day you were born, depending on the customs of your country and traditions within your family or among your friends, it's a time usually filled with gifts, fabulous food and the merry-making of memories. On this day, for children, their essence seems to glow.

For many gals and guys, they start the countdown to their next birthday on the
Sandy Brehl
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
There is no denying that birthday excitement may be one of the most universal experiences. The pure and perfect text combines with equally universal characters and settings in ways that will make this a favorite.
Courtney
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Super cute.
Beth Parmer
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love the artwork, and how careful Robinson is to create images that may seem subtle, such as the child that wants a ball to bounce--illustrated as a young girl.
Colleen
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a fun story with fantastic illustrations.
Shamekia
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super cute and great for storytime!
Kimberly Sabatini
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
A little something in here for every reader.
Gaby
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book! The text is simple and playful, like a poem. The illustrations are beautiful, like everything Christian Robinson does.
Inge
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Silly and joyful and perfect.
Andy Plemmons
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book perfectly captures the childhood anticipation of a birthday.
Alia
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Vividly evokes memories of childhood and that happy anticipation of an upcoming birthday. Robinson’s illustrations and the palette of this book feel almost retro. Simple book but a winner. Cute :)
Jackie Ostrowicki
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eva-and-me
What a darling book! The storyline is simple (more like a nursery rhyme), as are the illustrations. It sounds like something you may hear your own child say as they are waiting for their special day.

The author, Julie Fogliano, has also written And Then It's Spring and If You Want to See a Whale as well as the poetry collection, When Green Becomes Tomatoes: Poems for All Seasons. She is the recipient of the 2013 Ezra Jack Keats award.

The illustrator, Christian Robinson, is also an animator. He i
Madelyn
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to the #kidlitexchange network for the review copy of this book - all opinions are my own. @kidlitexchange
--------
Birthdays. As children and even young adults, these are days we look forward to. They bring us closer to goals and momentous life events. As a child they make you feel accomplished and “grown up.” For those single digit kiddos, it represents not only becoming a “big kid," it’s also all about the FUN! The excitement builds as their birthday month draws near, perhaps plans for
Tracy
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Thanks to the @kidlitexchange network for the review copy of WHEN’S MY BIRTHDAY? As always, all opinions are my own.

I just loved this picture book and only wish I had it years ago when my kids were smaller. It begins:

“When’s my birthday?
Where’s my birthday?
How many days until my birthday?”

Each page turn features a different child, each asking the same question in a different way. No matter the month, the season, or how distant the date in question, these kids are making plans. They know what kin
Amanda Sass-Henke
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
🎂 Thank you to @kidlitexchange for a review copy of When's My Birthday? by Julie Fogliano and Christian Robinson. All opinions are my own.
🎈 Birthday talk is a popular conversation in my house. As a parent, I have answered every question posed by the narrator in this book. And between my two children, they have asked every question asked by the narrator who is eager for a birthday celebration. When's My Birthday? asks the questions all over again, but provides avenues and avenues of discussion ab
Chris
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Second only to “When we gonna get there?” is “How many days till my birthday?” Take the guesswork out of the latter question by giving kids “When’s My Birthday,” a picture book by Julie Fogliano that celebrates candles on the cake.
The unnamed narrator, approaching age 6, poses a series of questions concerning his/her special day –
“…will my birthday be tomorrow? Will my birthday be in winter?”
On and on the questions go, “…will my birthday have singing?…will we sing so happy happy? will we dance
Sandy
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
When? Where? Will we? You can feel the anticipation and the excitement with each turn of the page in this children's book, as the child in the book waits for her birthday to arrive. How many more days? She is so excited that she's planning what will happen on her big day. What day will it fall on?
How many more days? She wants this, no she wants that. She will be six and the cake she wants is so huge she needs a ladder to climb up on to light the candles. Who does she invite to her party? Well,
Jennifer Druffel
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*I received an advanced reader's edition from the @kidlitexchange for review purposes. All opinions are my own.

We've all been there. Either as a little kid or even an adult. Anxiously awaiting our birthday celebration. When's My Birthday, by Julie Fogliano and Christian Robinson, is told from a kid's perspective wondering, waiting, for the big day.

The pictures are simplistic, yet beautiful. I love the imagination in the book. The feeling all kids get about having a day all about them. I wish I h
Christine Turner
When's My Birthday? is a School Library Journal Best Book of 2017 , a Horn Book Fanfare Best Book of 2017, a Kirkus Reviews Best Picture Book of 2017 , an NPR Best Book of 2017 , a Chicago Public Library Best Book of 2017 , and a 2018 ALSC Notable Children's Book.

Notes

Christian Robinson 's award-winning books for young readers include "Josephine: The Dazzling Life of Josephine Baker," which was a Coretta Scott King Honor Book as well as a Sibert Honor Book, and "Harlem's Little Blackbird," which
Mrs. Mounce
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the @kidlitexchange network for providing this free review copy! All opinions are my own. 🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂/5 When's My Birthday? by Julie Fogliano is a super sweet story that will remind you of every young child you know and the excitement they have for their birthday! They ask all the same questions: When is it? Where will it be? How many more days? What will I get? What kind of cake?
They will make never ending lists of everything they want: bikes, scooters, skates, books, necklaces, balls,
Linda
This book could be a gift for everyone, young and old. Although the illustrations fill the page with excited, happy children, adults can always join in the celebration, too. In sing-song verse, the children shout, “when’s my birthday?/where’s my birthday?/how many days until/my birthday?” I remember a grandchild asking and asking, and her mom usually answered, “Your birthday’s coming up!” Then my grandchild would run to the door or window to look UP! It certainly is hard to wait, as Julie Fogli ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• You Matter
  • Another
  • Carmela Full of Wishes
  • Snowballs
  • Gaston
  • The Smallest Girl in the Smallest Grade
  • Rain!
  • Alfie: (The Turtle That Disappeared)
  • A Perfect Day
  • Antoinette
  • Little Penguins
  • Thank You, Omu!
  • Breathe Like a Bear: 30 Mindful Moments for Kids to Feel Calm and Focused Anytime, Anywhere
  • Saturday
  • Go! Go! Go! Stop!
  • What If...
  • Bear Stays Up for Christmas
  • A Ninja's Path (LEGO Ninjago Reader, #5)
Julie Fogliano has spent her entire life reading children's books. She lives in the Hudson Valley with her husband and three children. ...more

News & Interviews