Start by marking “Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)” as Want to Read:
Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)

Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack #2)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  976 Ratings  ·  239 Reviews
Like a bolt from the blue, Jack's little sister Maddy is gone — carried into another realm by an ogre.

When Jack and Lilly follow Maddy’s captor through the portal, they are ready for anything... except what they find waiting for them in the floating crossroads between worlds. Even the power of their magic plants may not be enough to get them back to earth alive.

Alone and i
Published September 5th 2017 by First Second

Lola
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this sequel to Ben Hatke’s MIGHTY JACK, Jack (the mighty hero) is trying to save his sister Maddy from her kidnappers.

But he and Lilly have no idea what they’ll be up against. Unfortunately, they get separated early on and have to face dangers without each other’s combined strength.

Ben Hatke mystified us with a peculiar dragon in the first book! But here… we have goblins! And a gigantic goblin king who eats little girls. So yeah, Jack better save his sister before it’s too late.

While I do bel
First Second Books
Sep 05, 2017 marked it as first-second-publications
Mighty Jack and the Goblin King continues the vivid, warm, and sensitive epic fairytale adventure its prequel started. In this volume, the garden behind Jack’s house has gone wild with creatures set loose by the magic beans Jack and Maddy planted. One particularly mean creature has kidnapped Maddy, and now Jack and his neighbor Lilly must rescue her from the dangerous world beyond the vines and stalks.
Misty
It's no secret around here that I love Ben Hatke's work. All of it. Every last drop of ink, right down to the tiniest, silliest character. Everything is very vivid and lively, with bright, bold colors* and big, big emotions, and I always, always, always finish his stories with a giant smile on my face.

Mighty Jack and the Goblin King was no exception. It's got that perfect blend of whimsical fantasy, sweet and fearless characters, and lush, vibrant coloring that I've come to associate with Hatke'
Intisar Khanani
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
The more I read, the more I feel like Maddy is a plot device more than a character. What an absolute waste, and how frustrating when I was hoping to find positive disability rep here. I love the rest of this story (The Goblin King story arc was awesome!), I would read on, but I really wish Maddy's character & disability were handled a little differently. Here's hoping Maddy's character gains more depth, substance, and strength in future books.
Ellie
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I really like how this series is for kids just on the cusp of becoming teens. It's a tricky time to accurately portray, but these books feel authentic, despite all of the fantasy. This one was a bit more formulaic or less fantastical in some way, so it felt a little less exciting than the first volume. The epilogue has me so excited to see what's next, though, and I will definitely recommend this volume along with the first to tweens on up!
This review is based on NetGalley ARC provided in exchan
Jillian Heise
Good follow-up to the cliffhanger ending of the first book.
Jenna
A great conclusion to the series but it felt almost too rushed. I’d have been happy if this had been a trilogy and we could’ve had a bit more time to enjoy this new world as well as their adventures running solo. Lily in particular should’ve had more time with her goblin journey. I’m very excited at the crossover shown in the epilogue, sort of like the Avengers hints in the early Marvel movies...
Kendra
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I love it.
Suzanne Dix
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favorite Hatke book to date! I’m even more excited now about our school visit with Ben!
Erin
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thanks for the advance copy NetGalley! My son Ronan and I loved this one. We are fans of his other books as well and this one was right up there with his other works. Believable and likable characters, exciting action and heartfelt sentiment. Hatke always has strong female characters and this one follows suit. I recommend these books to boys and girls all the time and I'll be adding this one to the mix. There's a lovely surprise ending as well.
Maggie Gordon
I wasn't in love with the first Mighty Jack volume, but this second one managed to win me over! Jack and Lilly have chased the ogre who stole Maddy into an alternative dimension. They quickly end up separated and Lilly actually has a plot that's worth reading this time becoming the Goblin King! Maddy is saved, the weird transdimensional universe is saved, and everyone makes it home safe... But not really the same... My one complaint is that the action is a bit too fast-paced, but it's a fun, exc ...more
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Quick review for now:

The li'l bit is sick. Some sort of tummy/allergies, whatever. Point is, she felt like crap tonight, and kept getting out of bed because she was afraid she was going to hork. So, I pulled out this book, which I'd honestly forgotten I checked out from the library over the weekend, and decided to give it a read with her.

We both loved it.

Mighty Jack and the Goblin King is the perfect type of book to read for a bedtime story. It's action-packed, it has characters that beg for dra
Nicola Mansfield
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved the first "Mighty Jack" book and this second in the series doesn't disappoint. This story of a boy, his autistic sister and homeschooled neighbour starts off where the last book ended at a high point that has the characters off and running from the beginning. Non stop action from beginning to end with fantastic creatures such as goblins, giants and rat creatures. Hatke's illustration is always wonderful and brings this fantasy world to life. The book ends on a note that makes us think th ...more
Raina
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autism, graphicnovel, j
Fun, solid adventure by one of the masters. Many of Hatke's books include unending surprises - new creatures, new worlds, and this had less of that then I wanted.
But it was breezy, fun, loved the suspended world.
Jasmine
Well the first book was fantastic, and this was better. I love it, I want so many more books in this series. Lilly's arc was one of my fave things in books.

You gots HURTS and INJURATIONS.
Mary Catelli
This and Mighty Jack are really a single story in two volumes. So spoilers ahead.

Starting with the way it starts with Lily and Jack in hot pursuit of the ogre that kidnapped Maddie -- up a beanstalk.

Featuring not only goblins, but giants, rats, and more. Like the reappearance of the dragon, a car in a sewer, Lily's sack of plant stuff, pipes, broken ribs, and the effects of goblin blood.

It has an epilogue to hint at future story -- and, oh, yes, confirm a link to Zita the Spacegirl.
Jessica
Mar 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
An exciting conclusion to this modern day version of Jack and the Bean Stalk. In this volume we find Jack and Lily in the land of Giants trying to rescue Jack's little sister. Jack and Lily are separated for most of the story. Jack's story is heavy on action and sword fighting. Lily's story also has plenty of action, as well as her introduction to Goblin society and a battle against their King. There's also a setup for a future Zeta The Spacegirl crossover. Lighthearted, swashbuckling, graphic n ...more
Faith Hough
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The best part about having a 10-year-old daughter who reviews books for our local bookstore is the chance to read some of my favorite books before they're released. No, I mean, um, the best part is that she learns to analyze and appreciate books and write about them succinctly while gaining confidence in her skill... but also, you know, the getting to read them early part. :)
A fun follow-up to the first Mighty Jack book, definitely a sequel in that it will only be understood and appreciated with
Rose
Sometimes Hatke is almost too brilliant. It's a tough call, but this might be even better than the first one. He plays off of classic fairy tales and makes them totally his own in a wonderful new way.
Jen Petro-Roy
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Those last few pages!!!
Karissa
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is the second book in the Mighty Jack series and was an absolutely amazing read! I am a huge Hatke fan and really enjoy both the Zita the Spacegirl series and the Mighty Jack series. My 10 year old son also reads these graphic novels and they are his absolute favorite right now. This is a very fun and feel good story that’s an absolutely pleasure to read.

In this book Jack and Lilly chase the ogre who kidnapped Maddy into another dimension; a sort of floating crossworlds between the worlds.
Christopher
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
More a straight-forward adventure for Jack and Lilly than the first volume. I'm more than a bit annoyed by the "captured girl to be bride to monstrous king/chief" trope. Yes Lilly is having none of it but it does leave me shaking my head asking "why is it always rape". Bad enough for Lilly to be injected with goblin blood against her will - even if it does make her more of a kick-butt fighter.

Lilly is also the voice of reason in the start of the book, arguing to go back and bring in adults (mayb
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Brian
Cover Story: You and What Army?
Drinking Buddy: All Hail Her Majesty, The King!
Testosterone/Estrogen Level: She Drives a Mustang
Talky Talk: And They Lived Happily Ever After Until the Sequel
Bonus Factors: Girls Kick Butt, Epilogue
Bromance Status: Just Friends

Read the full book report here.
bjneary
Thank you to NetGalley and First Second Books for the ARC, Mighty Jack and the Goblin King by Ben Hatke. What a spellbinding read! Ben Hatke has done it again with a super charged graphic novel middle school and teen readers will totally enjoy. Mighty Jack and the Goblin King continues expanding the fairy tale begun in the first comic, Mighty Jack, with bright, electric illustrations crafting an action filled horror adventure story with Jack and Lilly with their swords and daring racing to save ...more
Daniel Cooksey
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juliet, comic
The thrilling and delightful conclusion to the story started in Mighty Jack #1. This fulfilled all of the first book's promise, with more excitement and exotic situations. The little connections to Hatke's other stories made me tingle and the very end made me shout "Yes!" out loud.
Darcy Roar
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphics, teen
Cute stuff. A good continuation from the last book, but it feels a little rushed. I'd have liked to see them do a bit more once they went through the gate, maybe explore a little rather than running full blast through the plot. Still very fun and cute (lots of adorable goblins!) with a good core story. Hopefully we'll get more in this world!
Gaby
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just really enjoyed everything about this series from start to finish.
JoAnne
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As always, we thoroughly enjoyed this Ben Hatke book! Without giving anything away, we also enjoyed seeing other beloved characters from his other books! A fun read!
Sean
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this series! What an ending!
Madison Mega-Mara...: #51 Mighty Jack and the Goblin King by Ben Hatke 1 1 Sep 18, 2017 08:42PM
Goodreads Librari...: page count 2 15 Sep 10, 2017 09:28AM
Goodreads Librari...: book and title issues 2 21 Dec 28, 2016 04:06AM
Ben Hatke is an author and illustrator of graphic novels and picture books. Most notably he is the creator of the Zita the Spacegirl graphic novel series.

He posts art and stories online at:

www.benhatke.com
More about Ben Hatke

Mighty Jack (2 books)
  • Mighty Jack (Mighty Jack, #1)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)