Start by marking “Pashmina” as Want to Read:
Pashmina

Pashmina

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  4,312 Ratings  ·  906 Reviews
Priyanka Das has so many unanswered questions: Why did her mother abandon her home in India years ago? What was it like there? And most importantly, who is her father, and why did her mom leave him behind? But Pri's mom avoids these questions--the topic of India is permanently closed.

For Pri, her mother's homeland can only exist in her imagination. That is, until she find
Published October 3rd 2017 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Pashmina, please sign up.
Kirti No. The main character is a teen and has teen problems. The answers to the character’s problems are also not meant for an 8-year old.

Elyse
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Author Nidhi Chanani, was born in India, and raised in Southern California. This
gorgeously Illustrated graphic novel had to be - must have been - somewhat inspired by her own memories ( at least at one point in her developmental growing years), a search for her own cultural identity.

Her artwork is so stunning ( first black and white - then moves into incredible colorful colors) - that I actually just flipped through this lovely 5 by 7 size silky paper book looking at the drawings - before settl
Lola
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
A graphic novel with an Indian American teenager who wants to know more about her country, family and culture? The day I say no to diverse stories will never, ever come.

Priyanka lives in the US with her mom who left India when she was her age. Priyanka knows little about India, and when her mom does tell her about the life girls live there and how they have less choices than in the US, Priyanka thinks she’s exaggerating.

Ms. Chanani created a realistic teenage heroine other teenagers will under
David Schaafsma
Pashmina is a strong girl character comics volume featuring an Indian-American family that reminds (because of the strong ethnic girl aspect) of the Pakistani-Muslim Kamala Khan, aka Ms. Marvel. I wish the artwork of this debut graphic novel weren’t quite so cartoony and the story had more to offer than culture clashes, (and a young aspiring to be a comics star as main character), but I am glad to see more diversity in comics for girls. Glad to see Indian-American culture represented in comics.
Eve
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
fullsizeoutput_84f

This was a beautifully illustrated middle grade graphic novel! I loved learning about Indian culture, new words in Hindi, and the magical realism. That being said, I felt like the actual story was a bit weak and disjointed. Wasn't a waste of time, but felt like the plot could have been better executed, as well as the characters.
First Second Books
Oct 03, 2017 marked it as first-second-publications
Pashmina is heartfelt young adult graphic novel about an Indian-American teen's attempt to reconnect with her mother’s homeland through a magical pashmina shawl. Follow Pri as she realizes that the India of her imagination is not like the real india, and as she learns the truth to he magical pashmina's origin.
rachel • typed truths
Trigger warnings for bullying, sexism and illness/hospitals.

This was a sweet contemporary graphic novel about an Indian-American teen wanting to learn more about her heritage. I thought the cartoonish art style worked really well to convey the coming-of-age themes and make it appeal to both middle grade and older readers. There was some great commentary on identity and self-discovery but, ultimately, it failed to really delve into these topics.

My biggest problem was the weak plotline. Chanani’
Erica
Priyanka is learning to drive, likes to create comics, has a cool best friend, has a mean blonde enemy, and lives with her mother in California. Her life is fairly standard until two things happen: 1) her beloved uncle and aunt are going to have a baby and she won't see them as often so she 2) asks Shakti to please get rid of the baby because they don't need it, they have her, and then she finds a magical pashmina that transports her to romantic India, making her want to find out about her herit ...more
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
Loved the art, loved the storyline, loved the honest depictions of India, loved Priyanka. A short and sweet graphic novel that more people should read.
Sepideh Salarvand
هم نمره دادن بهش سخته و هم ازش نوشتن. کتاب کمیک استریپه و در مورد دختر نوجوان هندیالاصلی که در آمریکا به دنیا اومده و بزرگ شده و حالا انگار دچار بحران هویته. از هند فقط سمبوسه و خوراکیها رو میشناسه و حتا از پدرش چیزی نمیدونه.
تا یک جایی از داستان من حتا داشتم فکر میکردم کاش ترجمهش کنیم اما از یه جایی به بعد احساس کردم زیادی در ستایش رویای آمریکاییه. فازِ آمریکا سرزمین آزادیه و هند سرزمین بدبختی توش پررنگ بود هر چند سعی میکرد یه جاهایی با جملاتی جلوی این فاز رو بگیره.

شاید دو و نیم نمرهی مناسبتری ب
Jeimy
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Priyanka discovers a magical Pashmina that allows her to see things others can't. When a letter from her aunt arrives from India, she is convinced that is where her destiny lies. This book takes us along as Priyanka is forced both to mature and to come to terms with her culture and heritage. A must for middle-school students who enjoy graphic novels.
Julie
This was beautiful drawn and the coloring was brilliant. I also loved how it didn't shy away from using Indian terms and short hand, not taking the time to explain or simplify it for white audiences. As well as being a fascinating, feminist story about women's choice, I learned a lot and I cannot wait to shove this at everyone.
Danielle
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade-ya
This graphic novel completely drew me in, and I read it in one go. The very first page sets up the mother-daughter relationship beautifully, establishing tension, humor, and the desire these two characters have to connect.

At its heart, it's a story about choices. The choices the main character, Priyanka makes, some of which she regrets, but all of which are fuel for self-discovery. The choices the women in her family, and other women in India, have made, or felt compelled to make. The choices,
Christy
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had the chance to see Nidhi speak at SDCC and have been anxiously awaiting Pashmina's release since! I absolutely loved this sweet story and recommend it to anyone looking to learn a little more about Indian culture.

Pashmina is the story of Priyanka, an Indian-American girl who is like most teens - troubling to communicate with her mother and trying to figure out who she is. She's curious about India and her father. Whenever she asks about them, her mom changes the subject. Nidhi uses facial e
Stefanie
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An enchanting graphic novel with so many important life lessons for middle schoolers! Loved the scenes in color where Priyanka is magically transported to India when she wraps the pashmina around herself. A beautiful story of empowerment and choosing your own destiny.
Dov Zeller
There are so many things to love about this book. It's sweet, whimsical, beautiful, instructive. There are courageous, mutually supportive, spiritually connected, defiant women in here. And the protagonist, Priyanka, goes on a journey of self-discovery. Her mother is from India, and Priyanka grows up in the U.S. and Priyanka decides she wants to go visit her aunt in India.

Actually, Priyanka goes on a few different journeys of self-discovery. She tries to sort through the question of father figur
Rashika (is tired)
I've been waiting for Pashmina since I first heard it existed so when my friend got a copy, I dove into hers while I was visiting and also ended up coming home to a precious copy of my own (#SHOUTOUT.) I've already read it twice and there is a very huge possibility I'll have read it a third time before the end of the year (and even the end of the month, tbh.) SO. I THINK it's safe to say that I love Pashmina.

It's already being marketed as such but I also just think Pashmina is perfect for fans o
La Coccinelle
This is a weird little book. I don't mind elements of magic in contemporary stories, but this book has a few problems that prevented me from enjoying it more.

The main issue I had was that I'm not sure who the audience is. The main character is probably around 16 (she's learning to drive, and it's mentioned that her mother was her age when she got pregnant), and there are some definite heavier issues dealt with in the story (family drama, a sick baby, abandonment, poverty). However, the pashmina
Christina Taylor
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sequential-art, ya
I highly recommend this graphic novel. Its heartwarming navigation of the quotidien terrain of maturation, the hardship of self-discovery, and the adolescent tendency to rail against the confines of familial authority are couched in an exotic context and, thereby, acknowledge the additional layer of complexity born from juggling two cultures and two worlds while emphasizing the universal plight of growing up. Readers would like this book if they like Realistic Ficiton, Low Fantasy, or Magical Re ...more
Maryam
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
The illustrations were really beautiful so I added a star just for that. It was a cute story, think it could've benefitted from being a lot longer though. Too juvenile for my taste.
Raina
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feminist, graphicnovel, ya
Pro-voiced Review:
Priyanka feels out of place. She lives with her mother in the United States, and has never been to India, where her mother lived before Priya’s birth. Her uncle has been an important figure in her life, but when he announces that he and his wife are about to have a baby, Priya is forced to confront her heritage and insecurities in a new way. Then, she discovers a pashmina which seems to have magical properties. Chanani’s debut graphic novel is accessibly illustrated in muted to
Zombieslayer/Alienhunter {quester in a cashier's body}
"Life isn't simple anywhere, Priyanka."

Priyanka Das is a budding comic book artist, determined to make something great from her experience as a first-generation American from an Indian family.
She struggles with the changes in her life, like her uncle Jatin and his wife having their first baby, making less space for Pri in their lives, and the bullying she faces at school.

When her relationship with her mother boils over, and her aunt and uncle disappear from her life altogether, Pri has a terribl
Saniya
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really really enjoyed this. It was sweet and innocent and really encapsulated the immigrant experience. For the most part I related to Priyanka's mother because I see the value in having a life here and the opportunities it provides me over what I would have been stuck with in India. And I also see the value in what Priyanka's aunt said about opportunity existing in India if only one looked past the curtain of "grime." And I also saw myself in Priyanka's desire to connect with her heritage.

Thi
Mandy
The art was gorgeous- ESPECIALLY in the full color parts. Chanani is definitely one talented artist, and I super need to investigate more of her art. Just the richness and life she brings to her work is wonderful. However, the storyline was a bit dull for me, and I felt there wasn't quite a linear storyline. I mean, I in no way saw the ending coming at all, and I didn't feel like there was too much of a resolution. I also didn't find the main character that likeable. I wasn't drawn into her stor ...more
Alison
A great graphic novel about finding your cultural identity and what it’s like to have roots in another country while growing up in America. I would have liked a bit of a deeper dive on a lot of the topics, but a good surface level introduction to this type of memoir.
Jae
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think this could have been about twice as long and that would have made it even better. There was room for a lot more detail, but the nuance throughout was incredible.
Nikki S
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just beautiful.
Tracy (Cornerfolds)
Read more of my reviews at Cornerfolds.com!

Not too long ago I received mystery package in the mail and inside that package was Pashmina, a beautiful graphic novel about an Indian-American girl who desperately wants to know more about the country her mother is from. I wasn't sure what to expect when I opened it and I will totally admit this is not a book I would usually pick up, but I am so glad Pashmina found its way to my doorstep!

Priyanka is an incredibly relatable main character. She wants t
Magical_Bookworm
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookclub
I really liked this book but I didn't lobe it. I loved Priyanka's relationship with her mother. I loved how we got to learn about India and Indian culture. I loved the magic in this. I just think some things needed to be more fleshed out and explained more.
Rachel Mans Mckenny
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This graphic novel is incredibly lovely. Chanani illustrates one teen girl's search for identity and family, with a touch of magic. The main character is a second-generation Indian-American daughter of a single mother. Her mother has been quiet about her own past, and so when a blessed Pashmina gives the girl visions of India, she strives to discover more about her heritage and where her mother came from.
The illustrations are stunning. When in "real life", Chanani uses black and white panels, wh
Rachael  Fryman
Read Harder 2018 Challenge #18: A comic that isn't published by Marvel, Dc, or Image

This one was kinda all over the place...

I LOVED:
-the gorgeous color illustrations
-the general plot and "moral"

I DIDN'T LOVE:
-the jumpy story line
-all the aspects that weren't resolved - just mentioned and glossed over

Overall: D+
Nidhi Chanani is an artist and author and the owner of Everyday Love Art. Her debut graphic novel, Pashmina, releases in October 2017. She recently illustrated Misty – The Proud Cloud, a children’s book by Hugh Howey.

Nidhi was born in Calcutta and raised in suburban southern California. She creates because it makes her happy – with the hope that it can make others happy, too. In April of 2012 she
More about Nidhi Chanani

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)