Start by marking “The Promise” as Want to Read:
The Promise

The Promise

Family ties can be deadly...

THE PROMISE

Two sisters. One murder. And an unbreakable bond.

Growing up in squalor with their drug-addicted prostitute mother, sisters Georgie and Marnie Parker have had to endure the very darkest side of life.

Published February 17th 2017 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about The Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Promise

Elaine
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 Heartstopping Stars

Javine Turner is a young girl that knows what she wants. Desperate to escape her past she teams up with her roommate Ashleen Jacobs in search for her Mr Right, someone who will change her life for her.

photo selena-gomez-i-want-you-to-know-want_zpsdnbr6ugn.gif

When she meets Delray Anderton he's exactly what she is looking for, successful, good looking and wealthy.

photo c0b38f2776c2a753cae7673404b99498_zpsvfbh3zvs.gif

But Javine is about to learn a costly lesson......

Georgie Parker and her sister Marnie haven't had the best start in life. Georgie must protect herself and her sister no
Amy
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
All of my reviews can be found on www.novelgossip.com

4.5/5

Kelleher has managed to write yet another electrifying, dark and twisted book. I’m beginning to appreciate a good thriller more and more lately, not just a thriller with a huge mystery. Though this earns a firm spot in the thriller category, there were some surprising elements that I wasn’t expecting, making for a riveting read.

This one was heartbreaking on so many levels. Georgie and Marnie have had such a sad and tough life. Their moth
Louise Wilson
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sisters Georgie & Marnie Parker have grown up in squalor. Their Mother is a drug-addicted prostitute. When their Mother gets sent down for murder, Georgie & Marnie are sent to a children's home. But the girls soon discover they are in real danger. So the girls make a run for it. Desperate to find a safe place.

This book is full of suspense. With two stories getting interwoven together. This is gritty, fast paced and well written. With characters you will love and other characters you will
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I am a huge fan of this authors novels as they are dark, edgy and hard hitting. The Promise is no different.

Due to the story line in The Promise I have to admit at times I found it to be a very uncomfortable read. There is one bit which I have to say I think is slightly risky by the author due to what was happening to the character, I didn’t know whether I could carry on. It affected me that deeply. I did though as I had to know how things were going to end and I am so glad I did.

Georgie and Mar
Sarah Joint
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book I've read by Casey Kelleher, and I enjoyed it just as much as the first! Really interesting stories and complicated characters. She deals with some heavy subject matter in this one, and some of it is hard to read. I was never tempted to put it down though, hopeful that the characters would get the ending that they deserve.

Josie has a lot of problems. She relies heavily on drugs and alcohol to make it through her life. She prostitutes herself to satiate her vices and put f
Dash fan
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, Wow, Wow what a book!!

The Promise is by far one of my favourite books.
I absolutely loved it. If I could give a 10 star rating I would!!

Casey does not fail to deliver.
This book is exciting, Thrilling, heart racing, horrific at times, deals with sensitive issues like drug abuse, sexual abuse, prostitution.
I literally was on the edge of my seat reading every single page.
I did not want it to end!

There is exciting twists and turns in nearly every other Chapter.

The characters are well thought
Joanne Robertson
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t discover Casey Kelleher until her last book The Taken  and then I got hold of all her other books to play catch up! I found her writing to be fresh and exciting and reminiscent of the early Martina Cole books and I couldn’t get enough of them even recommending them to my daughter’s who are now also big fans. I have loved them all but The Promise is now my new favourite! Hours passed but I had no concept of time as I was fully engrossed as this utterly unputdownable drama unfolded.

Josie
Sue McQuaide Kitt
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-tbr
Having read and loved The Taken and now The Promise, Casey Kelleher is an exciting author that I will now be on the look for.

I simply devoured this book and could not put it down.

Heartbreaking, suspenseful and a gritty crime novel that had me in tears at times.

Fantastic and realistic characters, especially the gusty and brave 12 year old Georgie and her younger sister Marnie.

Just fantastic and a massive 5* ..... A MUST READ!!!

Many thanks to Bookouture and NetGalley for providing a copy of this b
Book Addict Shaun
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adore Casey Kelleher and I am so glad she is now getting recognition as a published author (I know she was successful self-publishing but it’s just great to see her now at Bookouture). The Promise wasn’t my favourite book of hers, my favourite so far probably being Bad Blood, however it is a story that I don’t think I’ll be forgetting in a hurry and it’s a story that will leave an impact on everybody that reads it.

I started reading The Promise and told myself I’d just read a few ch
The Book Review Café
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
All my reviews can be found at http://the bookreviewcafe.com

My oh my I'm really not sure where to begin with this review, Casey Kelleher writes what I call grit lit. The Promise by Casey Kelleher certainly falls into this category, I wasn't expecting a "heartes and flowers" kind of read, and I wasn't wrong, in fact due to the subject matter it sometimes made for a very uncomfortable read, but my god I have to say it was also a gripping one. Josie Parker is a repeat drug offender, a heroin addic
Best Crime Books & More
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love Casey's books and her last one The Taken was an absolute belter of a book. Unfortunately as much as I enjoyed this latest release I couldn't help thinking it wasn't as good as the last book. Josie Parker is the mother of two young girls Georgie and Marnie Parker. Josie has spent her years selling her body and has ended up at the lower end of the market having abused drink and drugs. In all honesty the woman is a mess. Her two young children are forced to look after themselves and as such ...more
Renita D'Silva
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! This author is so amazing, taking us on a thrilling, mind boggling, edge of the seat ride. i enjoyed every minute of it. I am so glad to have discovered this author. She never fails to deliver! This is a fabulous, unputdownable story! Cannot recommend it enough!
Susan Angela Wallace
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The promise by casey Kelleher is a mystery and thriller and general fiction (adult) read.
Two sisters. One murder. And an unbreakable bond.
When their mother is sentenced for brutally murdering a client, Georgie and Marnie’s already precarious lives are blown apart and they now share a terrible secret. Sent to a children’s home, the sisters hope thi
Lucy Allen
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Being able to read this before it's published is a privilege until you realise you can't discuss it with anyone lol.
As with all of Casey's books I was hooked right from the start, it was easy to get involved emotionally with this storyline.
I spent most of the time reading this book on the edge of my seat thinking I knew what was coming & then BAM a plot twist.
I say this in every review but I mean it every single time..... Casey Kelleher you did not disappoint!!
Love
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A gritty thriller that has you shouting at the book. Your immediately drawn into this horridly dysfunctional family. Casey Kelleher puts you right smack bang in the room. You can smell your surroundings and you desperately want to help. Your only power is to take a deep breath and turn the page!

If your looking for a thriller that keeps you guessing till the end then this is your pick!

I eagerly want to read more and more of Casey Kelleher

Jackie
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing

OMG what a read that was, I have read every one of Casey's books and this one is on par with her earlier books, Bloody amazing. The plot was well thought out, the characters are all real, they pull at your heart strings and make you feel like your there with them, they make you hate them with pure evilness, that Delray is one nasty piece of work. Had me on the edge of my seat the whole way through.

Poor Jessie is just trying to look after her daughters but Daryl has Alteria motives. The girls ar
Denise
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have read most of Casey Kelleher's books and once again this one did not disappoint.
The Promise is gritty and true to life, well written, full of suspense and a real page turner. The characters get under your skin, they are so well described.
I found this book so hard to put down that I read it in less than a day. The story gripped me from the outset and played havoc with my emotions. Superb!
Another winning story from Casey and very highly recommended.
Jen
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017challenge
Oh. My. Word.

You know, if you like a warm, cosy crime drama, or something that leaves you feeling all special and fluffy inside… stay away from this book. If on the other hand you like your books with a lot of grit and attitude then this will absolutely be the book for you.

After reading The Taken, I kind of knew what to expect when opening up the first page of this book. Casey Kelleher has established herself as an author very willing to tackle the dark side of human life with a brutal honesty,
Cathy Geha
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow…just W O W…

I love finding a new-to-me author that I will add to my list of favorites. Casey Kelleher wrote a book that kept me enthralled until the wee hours of the morning. When I read the last word I was unable to stop thinking about what I had just read. I was unable to fall instantly asleep though it was after 2am because my mind would not let go of this story. I am one who reads the end of a book before I reach it and even so I was surprised. In fact, I had to reread the prologue again
Shell Baker
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am a massive fan of Casey and have been for years and couldn't wait to get my teeth into this latest novel.

The first half of the story is a slow burner where we meet Josie mother of Georgie and Marnie. Josie lives the life of a drug user and prostitute. And finds herself in a situation where she brutally murders a client. Then Georgie and Marnie are sent to a children’s home hoping that they will be safe after years of neglect. But they soon discover they’re in real danger.

Making a run for th
BookwormCatLady
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-arc
This book is just epic. Truly epic. There's no other word for it.

The last two books by Casey Kelleher I have bought or requested I've gone in completely blind, not even having read the blurb. Mainly because I know for a fact that anything she writes I will instantly love for so many reasons...

The way she develops characters and the depth of her plot is just incredible. You can tell that a lot of research went into it and the story of the two children is told brutally yet sensitively.

Gritty. Hear
Andrea
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book by Casey Kelleher that I have read and I am sure it won't be the last. This is one of those books that you just cant put down, it is a bit of a rollercoaster ride with lots of twists and turns. The story is set in a dark and violent world of prostitution and drugs but is a story of family loyalty. A very enjoyable read
Noelle
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for an ARC of this book.

Eeeeeek! I have been a massive fan of Casey Kelleher from the very start and have read each of her books with eager anticipation as I knew they would deliver. The Promise, for me, has to be the best book by far! Although Casey is unique in her own style of writing, the influence of such great authors as Martina Cole, Mandasue Heller, Kimberley Chambers and Mel Sherratt is evident in the gritty, gangland feel that oozes from the pages!
Kate
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
“The Promise” is a book that I might not have ordinarily picked up to read, Casey Kelleher isn’t an author I’ve read much from but she came highly recommended by some wonderful and trustworthy bloggers so I figured it was worth taking a chance.

This is a very gritty read, with topics that make for uncomfortable reading but they are handled with sensitivity and the writing is superb. The pace of this was matched well to the plot, catching the attention of the reader quickly and remaining enthralli
Sharon
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I actually think I read this book without breathing! Seriously I started it and could not put it down, so fast paced and gripping was the plot! Josie Parker is having a major struggle bringing up her two girls, Georgie and Marnie. She's trying to stay clear of the drugs but life has dragged her down to the very bottom and the draw of the escapism of just that one hit drags her back... Her descent back into addiction leaves her on her own, as her pimp, and all round Mr SuperBad man, Delray Andert ...more
Stephen Clynes
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This novel is set in south London and deals with drugs and prostitution. Follow a good range of characters as they get on with their daily lives trying to do their level best to improve the quality of life.

I found The Promise to be a brilliant read. It puts the reader into a different world of how some people live. I loved the way Casey told her story, in particular how she detailed the private thoughts of her characters. Most novels have dialogue between characters and you have to take their wo
Claire
When I was asked to take part in the blog tour, I was a little worried I wouldn’t like The Promise. From what I knew of Casey Kelleher’s writing, it wasn’t my normal read but I knew some if not all the #blogsquad love her writing so that was good enough for me.

I loved the prologue, what a fantastic way to start. It definitely got my attention if nothing else! So far so good!!

There was an interesting array of characters in this gritty novel. There were those that I felt for the young girls, Marni
Nerdish Mum
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, read-2017
I'll start off by saying that I absolutely loved this book. I read The Promise in two sittings and I would have done it in one if I didn't have to be sensible and get some sleep in the middle. I did not want to put it down and I thought about it when I wasn't reading it, I was that drawn into the story.

The characters in The Promise are extremely complex and you learn more about each of them the more you read. I found none of the characters are particularly likeable except Marnie and Davey, but
Diana
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Promise by Casey Kelleher tells the story of the three Parker girls. Josie is a single mother with two daughters, Georgie (12) and Marnie (5). The three live in extreme poverty. Worse still, their house is pretty messed up. It is filthy with the girls’ bedroom being described as permanently being occupied by a strong smell of piss. Their living situation is made worse by the fact that Josie is a prostitute who entertains clients while her daughters are locked in the next bedroom. The girls a ...more
Louise
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A rollercoaster of a read

I couldn't say this was an easy read, as with most of the authors books The Promise has such a difficult and emotional plot that at times I wondered if I could continue.

The characters are wonderfully written, from the disgusting pimp to the scared and traumatised child Casey perfectly creates readable believable characters.

Although reading about Marnie and Georgie life was difficult it made me think about all the lost children in the world being used and abused, forgotto
  • The Charmer
  • Blood Sister (Flesh and Blood Trilogy #1)
  • Dishonour
  • To Tell The Truth (Rosie Gilmour #2)
  • The Traitor (Mitchell's & O'Hara's #2)
  • Runaway Girl
  • Damaged Goods (Lilly Valentine #1)
  • Sadie
  • Breaking Away
  • Lawless (Ruby Darke #2)
  • East End Trouble
Casey Kelleher was born in Cuckfield, West Sussex. Growing up she became an avid reader, loving in particular gritty crime thrillers and gangland books.

for information and updates on Casey Kelleher, visit her at: