Start by marking “The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women: Get Off Your Butt and On with Your Training” as Want to Read:

Anyone can run a marathon. Dawn Dais makes it a little more bearable--and a lot more fun

Dawn Dais hated running. And it didn't like her much, either. Her fitness routine consisted of avoiding the stairs in her own house, because who really has the energy to climb stairs? It was with this exercise philosophy firmly in place that she set off to complete a marathon.

The Nonr
Published 2006 by Seal Press

To ask other readers questions about The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women

Start your review of The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women: Get Off Your Butt and On with Your Training
Rebecca
Jun 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I picked up The (Non)Runner's Marathon Guide for Women last month after finishing Claire Kowalchik's book about running for women (you can read the review here). I wanted a running book with which I could better relate. I'm a super slow runner and didn't even make it onto any of the charts in Kowalchik's book, which was a little defeating for me. So when I read about Dais' book, which tracks her struggle through training for a marathon, while also giving great tips for people who have never real ...more
Feb 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
This was a huge disappointment. The author spends most of the book complaining about her training while offering little actual advice. She constantly refers readers to professional trainers since she has no experience in this area. Her reliance on sarcasm and self-deprecation grew wearisome and could not compensate for a lack of actual substance.

Better reads include:

The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer by David Whitsett, Forrest Dolgener, and Tanjala Kole

Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Ru
Lauren
Sep 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
I want to burn this book. I want to light a match under it and watch each page of this book go up in flames. That is how much I hate this book. I don’t like marking in books because it strikes me as somehow sacrilegious, but I want to watch this book burn. Unfortunately, it’s a library book, and there’s no way I’m paying to replace this waste of dead trees.

On the one hand, Ms. Dais deserves congratulations for finding someone stupid enough to publish her inane ramblings. We should all be so luck
Paula
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud funny. I can relate to many things the author encounters when starting to train for a marathon.
Brandi MacDougall
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book again to help me stay motivated in my training. 03/23/09

UPDATE: finished this book over the weekend and it was quite possibly the funniest book I've EVER read! I lost count as to how many times I laughed out loud, and not just giggle... but throw your head back and laugh until your stomach hurts laughing. Wonderful insight although, with all the pain and anguish she described in training for her first marathon and actually completing it (barely!) I'm not sure I'm very motivated
Gina
Jun 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
I hated this book.

I notice the reviews for it swing wildly between 1 and 5 stars, so I know I am not the only one who hated it, but there are apparently people who like it too. So, if you like books by people who totally love how cute and funny they are, but kind of know they are not supposed to be like that so they use a lot of self-deprecating humor to try and disguise, making it take a long time to say anything and certainly not anything useful, this is the book for you!

It is interesting to m
Betsy Wolf
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
As a fellow very-slow runner, I appreciated the humor and give mad props to a walk-runner just encouraging us running-challenged that we can do things and hurt and not do great. But at least feel satisfaction that we are trying.
Abby
Jul 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Abby by: Rebecca
I enjoyed this book. You do not have to be training for a marathon to read it. If you have ever been a runner, trained for a race, want to do it someday, ran a marathon ten years ago, whatever... it's fun to read. It's part funny memoir of the author training for a marathon (as a total non runner), part training tips/advice (like what sort of running gear to get - NO SHORT SHORTS, for example). She's a funny woman. She'll make you laugh, but it's also all good advice.

I've always wanted to run a
susie
May 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who are learning to run and aren't picking it up easily, so they feel less freakish.
Shelves: health
This book tells it like it is, and is HILARIOUS. I started this book after I'd already been running for almost a year and pretty much hating it the whole time. It was SO refreshing, motivating and encouraging to read that someone else was feeling the same challenges in running that I'm experiencing, but was still successfully training and eventually starting to enjoy it & be really good at it!

In some ways, this book is a cautionary tale (knee problems!) but as a motivator, it was tops. And like
Holly
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Although I've called myself a "runner" for nearly 2 years now, I could totally relate to Dawn's descriptions of some of her bad runs. She was very funny yet still pretty motivating....until the end. I have played with the idea of running a marathon and I really, really want to do it but am really not sure if my body will be able to finish. And after reading this book, I have to ask myself if I'm ready to NOT finish or possibly finish but with massive amounts of pain?

A decent book and will searc
Pam
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have been trying to keep myself motivated to run and while I have no intentions of actually running a marathon, I do want to start running in some 5Ks. This book not only motivated me but I laughed out loud a lot!

Merged review:

I laughed out loud while reading this book. The great thing was it entertained and educated. While I'm not planning on running a marathon it motivated me to get my butt off the couch and start running again. I loved this book and read it one Sunday afternoon.
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
So easy to follow if you want to run your first marathon! But you need to follow it as is, I started to early for my training, and when it came to the marathon, unfortunately I wasn't ready to run, and was also out with the national guard. But I do plan on running a marathon in the future!
Maythe
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved i. It really shows what running a marathon for a normal average girl, feels like. I can relate to some of the statements and made me rethink some others. But most important, it shows that one can do things when one's mind and heart work together.
Courtney
Jun 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dream-running
This was a funny book. As for training/encouraging me to push through with my personal running goals... ehhh. But I laughed a lot at Dawn's expense.
Samyra
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was pretty funny. It cracked me up along the way.
Angie
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is laugh out loud funny and very motivating!
Makini
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
I think this book was ok. I read it in a couple of days, which I always enjoy. The author is obviously clever and funny and it is perfect for someone who is in training and needs something fun and non-academic to motivate them to continue. That was the reason I picked it up. However, it is non-academic, and while her stories are entertaining, most people who have been around the block, won't learn any tangible skills to improve their running, or work through injury etc.

The other reason I didn't
Zoe MacKenzie
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fully disclosure: I am not a runner. I don’t even care about running.
I’m thinking about starting running. Maybe.
I really don’t know.

What I do know, is that I loved this book.
It was laugh out loud funny. Literally, I would be sitting on the streetcar on the way home from work and I’d be laughing as I was reading this book.
If you like Jenny Lawson I think you will like Dawn Dais.

I would not recommend reading this book if you’re looking for serious running advice. I would recommend this book
Kris
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I started reading this book before running a 10 mile race, and finished it before beginning training for my first half-marathon (13 miles).

For anyone just starting running, or getting back into it, or undertaking their first long run, this is the book to read. Not only does it give you the information and tips you need, but also the sarcastic camaraderie you need on the rough days. I was laughing through each section even as I was wracking up the miles and facing each hurdle. This book will ma
Catherine Cole
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I almost gave this book fewer stars, but since I read most of it in a day, I must have enjoyed it a little. I purchased this book at a used book store because it was cheap and looked funny. It was funny, or I could see how it would be funny for someone who hates running. Really, as someone who loves running, this was not the book for me. I find it difficult to comprehend how someone who doesn't at least kind of like running would register for a marathon.
Rachel
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
At first, I thought the author's comments, about how much she didn't like training and how insane the idea was to run a marathon, were going to be exactly the opposite of inspiring and helpful. But as I read thru the book, I realized it really just made the story more real, more human, more relatable. I found myself laughing out loud in some places, and nearly crying with her at the end. Lots of good advice for non-elitist runners who are very new to the sport of marathon running....like me!
Cynthia Krysak
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Some funny content but it got annoying after awhile. It was like she was trying to make a joke about something in every sentence. It seemed that the writer was relying on creating humor rather than focusing on advice for people wanting to train for a marathon. Felt like she was giving us reasons to NOT train in a marathon.
becky
May 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running
quick and easy read but not something I'd read again and again
Gretchen Schroeder
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very funny and relatable!
Sophie Shaw
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great introduction to marathon running!
Kimberly
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book, especially if you are also a non-runner attempting a half or full marathon.
Elisabeth Gross
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A hilarious and inspiring account of Dawn's experience training and running her first marathon.
Lexi
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health, non-fiction
Dawn has such a quick wit and makes for a fun, motivational read. Still curious if she actually lost her kneecaps though?
Annie
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ellen
Dec 25, 2019 rated it liked it
A good first read for considering a marathon, but certainly not as informative as a book written by someone who runs marathons every year would be.

• Run Like a Mother: How to Get Moving--and Not Lose Your Family, Job, or Sanity
  • The Christmas Pact
  • Running Is My Therapy: Relieve Stress and Anxiety, Fight Depression, Ditch Bad Habits, and Live Happier
  • Reborn on the Run: My Journey from Addiction to Ultramarathons
  • Run the World: My 3,500-Mile Journey Through Running Cultures Around the Globe
  • Let Your Mind Run: A Memoir of Thinking My Way to Victory
  • Sin Eater (Naughty Nooners)
  • Take Me (Naughty Nooners)
  • Mistress of the Art of Death (Mistress of the Art of Death, #1)
  • We're Just Like You, Only Prettier: Confessions of a Tarnished Southern Belle
  • The Lost Choice: A Legend of Personal Discovery
  • Rushing Woman's Syndrome
  • Reaping Angels
  • Witch Is When Everything Went Crazy (A Witch P.I. Mystery, #3)
  • Running That Doesn't Suck: How to Love Running (Even If You Think You Hate It)
  • Finding Chika: A Little Girl, an Earthquake, and the Making of a Family
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • Witch Is When Things Fell Apart (A Witch P.I. Mystery, #4)
Dawn Dais is a freelance writer, designer, and filmmaker from Sacramento, CA. Her two previous books, The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women and The Noncyclist's Guide to the Century and Other Road Races, were published by Seal Press, have topped Amazon.com best-seller lists, and have been featured by countless TV and print media sources. Her uniquely sarcastic yet inspiring tone has entertained ...more