Start by marking “My New Crush Gave to Me” as Want to Read:
My New Crush Gave to Me

My New Crush Gave to Me

Charlotte Charlie Donovan knows exactly what she wants for Christmas: Teo Ortiz. He's the school's star athlete, in the National Honor Society, invited to every party, contributes to the school paper (where Charlie is co-editor), and is about to be featured as One to Watch in a teen magazine basically, he's exactly the type of guy Charlie s meant to be with. The only probl ...more
Published October 31st 2017 by Swoon Reads

Start your review of My New Crush Gave to Me
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Well that was... okay. It wasn't terrible or anything but I definitely didn't love it. After reading Kasie West's absolutely adorable short story in Snow In Love this just could not compare. Womp :( ...more
Erin
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cute, sweet and delightful holiday romance. My New Crush Gave to Me is a Hallmark Christmas Movie in book form. How the book would end was never in doubt. You know Charlie our erstwhile heroine is going to get the guy and she does.

If you are a fan of cheesy Hallmark Christmas movie then this is your book.
Alyssa
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-releases
This book is so cute. Charlie is literally me (especially when I was in high school and crushing on a guy. Go her.). I loved J.D.! I need me one of him! (Though like, five or six years older...)

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

My New Crush Gave to Me by Shani Petroff
Publisher: Swoon Reads
Publication Date: October 31, 2017
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Charlotte Charlie Donovan knows exactly what she wants for Christmas: Teo Ortiz. He s the
Alice-Elizabeth (Prolific Reader Alice)
I read My New Crush Gave To Me on Halloween which did feel a little strange considering the novel is set during Christmas time but honestly, reading this story was simply a pure and festive delight. The main character Charlie aka Charlotte plots to get the one person she wants to fall in love with and have a happy Christmas while creating fun memories to cherish. A plan to use Secret Santa to accomplish that goal opens up more questions than answers as Charlie realises that maybe her crush’s cou ...more
Alaina
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute and predictable.

From the moment I met Charlie and J.D. in My New Crush Gave to Me, I was instantly hooked and shipping the crap out of them. Charlie kept thinking the perfect guy would be just like her.. but she didn't realize that her ex, who was exactly like her, didn't work out for a reason. Opposites attract people. So, of course, once I met Charlie and then J.D. - I shipped them. WHY? Because opposites attract people!

Now this book was completely cute and predictable. It has to deal wit
Peter Monn
Dec 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
So cute. Really really loved it.
Julia Sapphire
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cover-love, romance, own, 2017

Such a cute and fun Christmas read! I found the main character different from the "usual" female YA lead. I also LOVED J.D! This was a super predictable story but a lot of fun to read and perfect for the holidays.
Miranda
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
My New Crush Gave to Me was such a feel good and adorable novel. This book seriously made me feel all the warm and fuzzies! I love reading books that put me in the holiday spirit, and that book did just that! BRING ON THE HOLIDAYS!

The author did such a great job at creating a cozy and adorable winter atmosphere for this book. I would almost compare it to a Christmas Hallmark movie! There were so many fun Christmas activities that the characters participated in that made me crave the holiday seas
alice
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Super cute & perfect for the winter season!

It was kind of creepy how Charlie went to all those lengths rig the Secret Santa gift and to make the perfect gifts for Teo as her Secret Santa gift receiver, especially since they didn't really know each other???? But I did like the winter-y atmosphere and I liked how this ended. If you're looking for a fluffy, romantic, wintery contemporary, this one is for you.
Kat
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you so much to NetGalley and Macmillan for the chance to read and review this cute holiday romance by Shani Petroff. I really loved the realistic look at the trials and tribulations of high school crushes, and how sometimes you end up feeling a bit foolish on the path to finding that guy or girl who's truly a good fit for you.

Charlie is a fun MC to read about since she's a bit on the crazy-organized side and isn't afraid to let everyone around her know she expects no less from them. She's
Caroline
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Full Review on the Blog
www.carolineandrus.com/blog

I was in the mood for a light and fluffy YA romance and this one from NetGalley really did the trick. It was a quick, fun, and sweet read. To top it off, it's the end of August and I'm suddenly ready to set up my tree and string garlands and lights around my house!
Samantha (WLABB)
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For the second time this year, I experienced this feeling:

So, I had just set aside two books that weren't working for me, and I was worried that I was falling into the dreaded reading slump 😲, and then along comes this wonderful book. Seriously, when I was done with this book, I felt so buoyant, my heart so light, that I wanted to dance atop a mountain while making a joyful noise.

Reasons why I wanted to hug this book

•Charlie was my type of girl. She was all about schedules and planning and she a
Taylor
3.75 out of 5 Stars!

This was a super cute read that would get any Grinch into the holiday spirit. Full RTC.
Sabi
Dec 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
A cute Christmas read that can be finished in a day. 3.5 🌟🌟🌟

Things I liked:

🌟The short chapters.

🌟The whole Christmas vibe. Many a time, this feature get sidelined in christmas romcoms. But, not in this one.

🌟Morgan: The best friend sent from heaven.

Things I wanted more of:

🌟Charlie and J.D's more chemistry scenes.

🌟I wanted Charlie to be a little more observant. I know it's a YA but still.

"See, I knew I was moving up in your eyes.”
“I think you missed the operative word in my sentence.”
“Me? Yo
Patricia Crowther
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5* - you know those actual physical feels you can get sometimes when reading? Its been a while, I’d almost forgotten what that was like but I totally got all of that with this one 😍 I loved it! I don’t even care that it was a little cheesy and cliché. It was SO cute! Perfect holiday read!
Livia
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Cheesy holiday romances are the best to read in December! So cute.
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
3.5 Stars
“Forget an electric jolt, this was shooting stars, Christmas morning, first-place trophies, early Harvard acceptance, and fireworks all rolled into one. I never wanted the feeling to stop.
My wish had come true.”

My New Crush Gave to Me is the perfect holiday read for all your contemporary needs. We follow Charlie Donovan as she searches for her dream date to Noelle Hawkins’ annual birthday party. Charlie is convinced she’s found her guy in Teo, star athlete, stellar GPA, and
Stacee
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was ok

I loved the synopsis of this and was quite eager to settle into a sweet Christmas story.

I couldn’t get behind Charlie. I wanted to root for her, yet most of the time I was irritated with her and she just felt flat to me. I loved Morgan and JD was fun, so they were the reasons I kept reading.

Plot wise, things moved along and it felt like nothing actually happened at the same time. I would have liked a little bit more at the ending, but it was sweet.

Overall, it was cute, but still a li
Morris
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reviews
“My New Crush Gave to Me” would have been much better as a short story. As a book, it’s cute and a quick read, but there is a lot of filler in there. Once it finally picked up around the middle I enjoyed it, though I could never spend much time in real life around the main character, Charlie!

This unbiased review is based upon a complimentary copy provided by the publisher.
Senator
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
a delightfully fluffy read with a hint of tension that's perfect for the warm fuzzies in all of us. ...more
Eileen (BookCatPin)
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
There's nothing like a quick and warm read to get you into a festive mood! My New Crush Gave to Me was fun in all the ways I expected since I had the pleasure of reading the author's debut novel.

Not only does the cover scream winter holidays but the Christmas activities in the book gave all the festive feels. Furthermore the caroling and Secret Santa games paved the way to a cutesy love story. It was slow burn and super adorable to watch the characters realize their feelings.

I love the story but
Trisha
Nov 10, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1.5 stars rounded down. I clearly am not feeling the holiday season yet. I felt very bah humbug through this whole story. Too cute? too sweet? Maybe? Although I found Charlie to be kind of off putting at first. She was gruff and a bit controlling. I didn't find her obsession with being better than other girls and getting this guy she was so set on amusing or interesting. I slogged through pages of her being pretty awful to other people as she pushed her way to get what she wanted. Ultimately, qu ...more
Alison
Dec 25, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 STARS
This was way cuter than I thought it was going to be. I honestly didn't have the highest expectations going into this (Christmas romances have ruined my thinking here). But it surprised me and was really entertaining. Even though you basically know what will happen, I was still sucked into the love triangle and the hate-to-love romance (my fav trope!) that was happening.
The story was really entertaining and I would LOVE to see this as a movie some day.
The characters were pretty realis
Jasmine
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had some second hand embarrassment reading this book and that was mainly because high school me was a lot like Charlie. Love has always come down to a logical choice for me, even when I fail to see that. So parts were hard for me to read.

But it was amazing at the same time. It captured a lot of my thoughts and wishes about Christmas, it had my favorite male in a YA novel in about ten years, and nothing felt out of place. As someone who has read and watched my share of cute Christmas stories I
Laurence R.
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
What a sweet story! I’m reaaaally excited for Christmas now (don’t judge).
Felicia
Dec 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
This was cute. But totally boring at the same time. The MC, Charlie, was annoying at times. And a lot of the time it was hard to like her. It was predictable in the way that she likes one guy and ends up liking someone else by the end of the story. Typical YA book in my opinion. But the side characters were pretty interesting. Meh. Two stars. -.-
Stay Fetters
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
"The two of us had to have made the most absurd sight. Santa and Christmas spirit getting excited by the snow, but the thought just made me smile. It felt right, I couldn't picture it any other way."

This right here is the right way to get into the Christmas spirit. It's light, fluffy, and absolutely adorable.

We all know that when it comes to the holidays that I'm a total scrooge. I turn my nose up in disgust whenever anyone mentions caroling or Santa or even gift giving. It just gives me that w
Jill
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, chick-lit
Charlie is making it her mission to get Teo Ortiz to go to Noelle Hawkin's big Holiday Party as her date. She is willing to do anything to get it, including recruiting Teo's annoying cousin, J.D., to help her. J.D. irritates Charlie, but his help is working. Will his help be enough to win over Teo? Or has she changed her mind on what she really wants for Christmas?

This book was a light, fluffy holiday read that I enjoyed. It has all the Christmas themes that make it a cozy read. The romance is c
Gina
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was too adorable! Such a fun Christmas tale! ^.^
Lynda Dickson
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Charlie needs a date for the biggest party of the year, and she has her eyes set on Teo Ortiz. She uses her position as editor of the school newspaper to get to know him better, but Teo's annoying cousin J. D., the newspaper's photo editor, is always getting in the way. With her mother constantly busy with work, things aren't feeling very Christmasy. So Charlie tries to create a little holiday cheer of her own by rigging the paper's Secret Santa draw with a plan to win over Teo. The thing is, sh ...more

• Kiss Me in New York (Kiss Me, #1)
  • All I Want for Christmas
  • Snow in Love
  • The Romantics
  • Meet Me at Midnight
  • The Last True Love Story
  • Romeo and Juliet (No Fear Shakespeare Graphic Novels)
  • New Year's Kiss
  • Things I Should Have Known
  • My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories
  • Missing (Fear Street, #4)
  • The Surprise Party (Fear Street, #2)
  • The Overnight (Fear Street, #3)
  • Shuffle, Repeat
Shani Petroff is the author of the YA novels Romeo and What's Her Name (Macmillan/Feb. 2017) and My New Crush Gave to Me (Macmillan/Oct. 2017) and the tween series, Bedeviled (Penguin). She is also the co-author of Ash.