Start by marking “Open If You Dare” as Want to Read:
Open If You Dare

Open If You Dare

Like Birdie Adams didn't have enough problems this summer. But Birdie's Birdie. And if a long-buried box has "Open if you dare" written on its lid, then Birdie and her best friends, Ally and Rose, are going to open it.

And now, along with everything else that's going on--Ally's pitching slump, Rose's banishment to Britain, and Birdie's annoying younger sister be
Published October 17th 2017 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Open If You Dare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Open If You Dare

Danielle
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade-ya
Thoroughly enjoyed this story that explores friendship, identity, change, and the kind of mystery any kids would be over the moon to try and solve over a summer. And I especially enjoyed the ending that combines the feelings of being in the moment while preserving a memory at the same time.

"Somebody cares...Somebody always cares."

"I also realize something else. That there are people like me out there in the world."
Casey Lyall
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that instantly felt like I was reading a classic. It had super fun characters, an intriguing mystery, and (one of my favourite parts of an excellent middle grade read) a great friendship. I can't wait to check out what Dana Middleton writes next!
Michele Knott
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Spot on middle grade voice. Kids are going to relate to everything that happens to these characters. Enjoyed the mystery too!
Abby Cooper
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun friendship story with a cool mystery. I think fans of LIKE MAGIC by Elaine Vickers would love this book!
Ms. Yingling
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
E ARC from Netgalley

Birdie and her friends Ally and Rose have always hung out together, running through their neighborhood and setting up camp on a small island near their homes. When school is out, they spend their summer doing what they have always done, but with a sense of dread hanging over them. When 7th grade starts in the fall, Rose will be back at England and the other two will be at separate middle schools. Rose is irritated with her parents; she considers herself more Ameri
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Review cross-posted from reviewer’s personal Goodreads account

Middleton, Dana Open If You Dare, 283 pages. Feiwel and Friends (MacMillan), 2017. $17. Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: PG; Violence: PG (peril).

Tom Rogers
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book took me right back to the "Three Investigator" mysteries I loved as a kid, and I devoured this one just as greedily. The story revolves around three middle-school girl friends who discover a mysterious box buried on their secret island; the discovery sends them on a kind of scavenger hunt to solve a decades-old case about a missing girl and a second girl who knows the dangerous secret that lies at the heart of the matter. Will the girls find the clues and solve the case before summer r ...more
Theresa Grissom
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade, 4th, 5th, mystery
After reading and loving another Dana Middleton book, I was very excited to read this one. I loved this middle grade mystery! The friendship between the three girls in the book was wonderful. I loved how they worked through good and tough times together. This is a beautiful story of friendship. I will recommend this to 4th and 5th grade students in my school. I can see the girls in particular loving this book.
Diane
"We three, best friends for life, on our last and best summer together. We dare."

Since first grade, it's always been Birdie, Rose and Ally. Three very different girls with a strong friendship. Rose, originally from England, is in a battle with her mother over the violin. Rose has to practice every day and she's really starting to hate it. Then there's Ally, the best pitcher in little league. She's even a better ball player than her older brother. But now all that is about to change.
Kester Nucum
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received a free hardcover copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This will not affect my review in any way.

Sometimes a book deserves a 5-star when it is written very exceptionally. Other times it deserves one when it resonated so deeply inside me, to the point where I laughed and cried. Dana Middleton and her protagonist Birdie wrenched and warmed my heart so much in Open If You Dare that I just wanted to give my copy a big hug. Although I read
Cynthia
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Middleton expertly weaves a friendship subplot, a sisters subplot, and a mystery main plot from a fascinating premise to a satisfying end. Her characters are well-developed, the setting is inviting, and the internal character pressures are just suspenseful enough to engage us and make us flip the pages -- wanting to find out if the mystery will be solved. There are some scary moments, surprising reversals, and nice revelations. A fun read.
Jill Diamond
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved Middleton's first book, THE INFINITY YEAR OF AVALON JAMES, so I was so excited to read OPEN IF YOU DARE. And it sure didn't disappoint! Once again, Middleton captures a voice that feels so authentically MG and overlays it onto a wonderful story. Birdie and her two best friends, Rose and Ally, immediately won my heart and I loved their sweet and respectful relationships. I also loved that each girl was such a distinct personality and character, but the trio's friendship seemed so natural ...more
Reynianne Martinez
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Birdie finds a long-buried box that has "Open if you dare" written on its lid. Birdie and her best friends want to open it. Is their bad luck coming from the box they opened?

I loved that each girl had a different personality. This story was filled with mystery, friendship, and family. I couldn't stop reading this book because I wanted to see what was going to happen. I recommend this book for grades 4-6.

With this book I would create a lesson on friendship. I would also create a lesson on famil
Lisa Tyre
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed Dana Middleton’s debut book, THE INFINITY YEAR OF AVALON JAMES, so I was very interested when I heard she had another book publishing soon. The second I read the blurb on the back of OPEN IF YOU DARE, I was hooked!

Like Birdie Adams didn’t have enough problems this summer. But Birdie’s Birdie. And if a long-buried box has “Open if you dare” written on its lid, then Birdie and her best friends, Ally and Rose, are going to open it. And now, along with everything else that’s goi/>
Linda V
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 7-16-12-17
Birdie and her best friends Ally and Rose are determined to make the most of their last summer together. Things are changing a little too fast for Birdie as she anticipates entering middle school all alone. Rose's family is moving back to England and Ally is going to a different school. When they discover a mysterious box Birdie becomes wrapped up in the mystery of it's contents. The summer begins to unravel as Ally looses her mojo on the pitchers mound, Rose tries to sabotage the sale of her ho ...more
Amber Webb
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Open If You Dare my Dana Middleton was an excellent story filled with mystery, friendship, family and the challenges of being a tween girl. This was a book I couldn't put down. I wanted to know how the mystery of Girl Detective would end. The deep bonds of friendship between Rose, Ally and Birdie were wonderful to follow. The strength of the individual girls as well as how they communicated as friends was beautiful. The struggles of figuring out who you are as an individual, a daughter, a sister ...more
Maureen
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
The was a sweet mg novel about how things change as children grow up. I liked the diversity within the characters, both the children and adults. In addition, the mystery was interesting. I did not like the times Birdie let Zora get hurt because she was too busy worrying about herself and her friends. Thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the chance to be an early reader in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Ava D
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favorite character was Birdie because she was brave and always had good intention. Something that surprised me was that Zora had a fractured skull, and blood was coming out of her head. I would not change the ending because it was sweet how Rose finally told Birdie what she had said to Romeo.
I just wanted to say that I think this is a good book that I would read over, and over, and over again. So good job Dana Middleton!
Wendy MacKnight
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads
I loved this book so much. A mystery, a coming of age story, a friendship story - this book has it all. I stayed up late turning pages, desperate to see how it was going to end. This book is wonderful.
T.J. Burns
I received a copy of this book from Macmillan Children's Publishing Group via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Karyn Blaylock
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A story of growing up and dealing with change. Perfect for early middle grade readers. A great mystery!
WKPL Children's/YA Books
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Miss Lori really enjoyed this book about friendship and being true to yourself. A bit of mystery is thrown in for good effect!!! Perfect for Middle School readers.
K.L. Hallam
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Open If You Dare begins with a mysterious box found by three best friends who live in Georgia.

From the start, we are thrust into a complicated emotional dilemma between eleven-year-old Birdie Adams and one of her best friends. It’s a one-sided dilemma because Birdie wrestles with a decision that could hurt her best friend, which is the last thing she wants to do.

It’s easy to enter into Bird’s world, a supportive family, and best friend’s who are thick as thieves: the pragmatic Rose, and Ally,
Kacey
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
If I were to rate this book based on the interactions between the girls and the day-to-day events of their summer, I'd give this a four. Ranking based on the mystery bumps it down to two. So I met somewhere in the middle.

The mystery was by far the weakest part of this book, and even as short as the book was, I ended up forgetting all about it until it was brought up again. And they were the parts that made me more aggravated with the characters. Look, I remember being that age and no
Lisa
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s the last summer for three best friends who have been together since first grade, but now Rose is moving back to England in August, and Ally and Birdie will be going to different middle schools. But making this the best last summer ever is proving difficult. Rose is distracted because of the move, Ally who is an amazing pitcher can’t seem to throw anything but balls, and Birdie is obsessed with a mysterious box they uncovered on the island that seems to be about two murdered girls from 1973. ...more
Bethany
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Birdie, Ally, and Rose have always been friends. Best friends. But big changes are coming as Rose's family is moving back to England, and Ally will go to a different middle school next year. Birdie dreads the changes as their final summer together begins.

When she finds a mysterious box buried on an off-limits island where the trio spends their time, Birdie dives into the clues for a long-ago murder. Ally and Rose are less agreeable, but they, too, are willing to go along ... for a wh
Armand Baltazar
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dana Middleton crafts a story that brings you back to one of the most wonderful and formative times of a person's young life! And she does so with such real characters who wring true and will even remind you of the kind of friends you had as a kid with all the hopes, the fun, the ups and downs, and growing pains of that age. But best of all we join get to join Birdie, Allie, and Rose on an adventure to solve a mystery that holds surprise, humor and will keep you turning pages quickly until the e ...more
Ronda
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The summer before middle school, when everything changes.... Ally, Rose and Birdie have been friends since 1st grade, but this summer is different. Rose is moving back to England and Ally and Birdie will be attending different middle schools. When they find a mysterious box that is labeled Open If You Dare, the three find themselves trying to solve a 40 year old mystery while navigating the changes that come along with turning 12.

Review based on ARC provided via NetGalley.
Anna Karwowska
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
The author retcons a lot of the established details of the mystery in the book, which was frustrating. Some parts of the book were a little unrealistic in terms of how a 12-year-old might think, too.
Andie
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was hard to put down! It had the perfect combination of mystery as well as classic elements of a twelve year old's summer. Great for middle grades and adults who still love a summer mystery.

• The Underdogs
  • Unidentified Suburban Object
  • Framed! (Framed #1)
  • The Incredible Magic of Being
  • The Real McCoys
  • Charlie & Frog (A Castle-on-the-Hudson Mystery)
  • Death and Douglas
  • The Care and Feeding of a Pet Black Hole
  • Me, Frida, and the Secret of the Peacock Ring
  • Whobert Whover, Owl Detective
  • The Midnight Tunnel (Suzanna Snow, #1)
  • Lou Lou and Pea and the Mural Mystery
  • We Are Party People
  • Nerd Camp (Nerd Camp  #1)
  • The Unlikely Story of a Pig in the City
  • How to Stage a Catastrophe
  • Smashie McPerter and the Mystery of Room 11
  • Under Locker and Key
Dana Middleton grew up in Georgia before moving to Los Angeles to work in film, television and theatre. She was a producer of an Academy Award-nominated short film, and is a recipient of a Los Angeles Theatre Ovation Award. Her middle grade novels include The Infinity Year of Avalon James and Open If You Dare. She's also the author of the Harry Potter reference book, The Young American's Unofficia ...more