Start by marking “Anne Morrow Lindbergh: First Lady of the Air” as Want to Read:
Anne Morrow Lindbergh: First Lady of the Air

Anne Morrow Lindbergh: First Lady of the Air

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  50 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Few people know that Anne Morrow Lindbergh was an accomplished and innovative pilot in her own right. In fact, she was one of the defining figures of American aviation, a bright and adventurous woman who helped to pioneer air routes, traveled around the world, and came to be adored by the American public. In this revealing biography, author and pilot Kathleen C. Winters vi ...more
Published May 13th 2008 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Anne Morrow Lindbergh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Elizabeth
Sep 02, 2009 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elizabeth by: a xmas present from tim
Shelves: flying
So, I enjoyed this in large part because I am such a fan of Anne Morrow Lindbergh. The book itself read a little like a term paper, which style I don't find very readable, despite the best efforts of the author to liven it up by using verbs like "effused" and "scampered" (which, to my mind, are downright embarrassing). Also, I was disappointed to discover (by the time I'd read the whole thing) that it's not so much a biography as a summary of AML's own autobiographical writing. In other words, I ...more
Shannie
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prosaic but engaging. Who needs fancy writing when your subject is this interesting? I felt like this style let Ann's own wit/style shine best anyway. The author is a pilot herself and offers a handful of insights, but mostly sticks to facts from a fantastic bibliography/source list (which has inspired several additions to my reading list). This was the first book I've read on Lindbergh though, to be fair I might not have liked it as much if I already had a knowledge base.

This book covers Ann's
Judy
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scanned
I got this book from the library at my husband's request. So after reading and enjoying "The Aviator's Wife," thought I'd skim through this book. I'm glad I didn't read it as its a very disappointing summary of Anne Lindbergh's life. It is more about her husband than about her. Too bad this is the way many people see her. And I just now read a review that is as critical of the book as I am saying it isn't factual when it comes to aeronautical things. So I decided to create a category for this ty ...more
Amy
Nov 13, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this while flying to CA this week. If you have an active imagination, don't read it on a plane. Amazing story of how the Lindberghs impacted aviation while living a Kennedy-like family experience. We thought the press was hard on Princess Di. I finished it thinking I found a new author--I plan on reading several of Anne's novels, including "Listen to the Wind".
Keira Hale
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anne Morrow Lindbergh was a wonderful, and I believe beautiful, person. She accomplished many aviation hurtles for women. She lived in a whirlwind life style and became greater than she thought she could be because of Charles leading her and letting her fly.
Marilyn Dalton
Really not worth the time.....If you're interested in Anne, read her own writings, which are numerous and lovely to read, not the dry prose of this book.
Newt Taylor
I'm not sure how you separate Ann's notoriety from her husband's, but this unpolished biography falls short.
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting. I knew Lindbergh was an author, but wasn't aware that she was also an accomplished pilot and navigator. Remarkable woman.
Cindy C
Somewhat dry prose but thoroughly researched and narrated tale of a fascinating female explorer.
Jf
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Gives Anne the recognition she deserves about her many contributions to aviation.
Susan Franchi
Teri
Mar 25, 2014
John Dorcey
Jan 29, 2012
Pilot and author Kathleen C. Winters recounts Anne Morrow Lindbergh's adventurous life and flying career in her new biography, "Anne Morrow Lindbergh: First Lady of the Air." The book received good national press, including a starred review from Kirkus Reviews. See Kathleen's web site, www.kathleenwinters.com, for more information. She lives near St. Paul, Minnesota. "
More about Kathleen C. Winters