Start by marking “A Hundred Billion Trillion Stars” as Want to Read:
A Hundred Billion Trillion Stars

A Hundred Billion Trillion Stars

“This picture book is one in a gazillion.”—Jane O’Connor, the New York Times–bestselling author of the Fancy Nancy series

Did you know that the earth is covered in three trillion trees? And that seven billion people weigh about the same as ten quadrillion ants? Our world is full of constantly changing numbers, from a hundred billion trillion stars in space to thirty-seven
Published October 3rd 2017 by Greenwillow Books (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about A Hundred Billion Trillion Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hundred Billion Trillion Stars

Start your review of A Hundred Billion Trillion Stars
Marissa Elera
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: space, universe
I just love a picture book celebrating the wonder of this universe and our planet. Glowing illustrations.
Lauren Stoolfire
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This picture book is a perfect reminder that "“Space,” it says, “isbig. Reallybig. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mindbogglinglybigit is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts tospace.”" -The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy ...more
Allison
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is such a unique, interesting and fun book. I love all the numbers, the way he puts into perspective the massiveness of the universe and our planet. Each spread is filled with life and movement and wonder. The random facts are fun, and then he brings it back to the reader at the end. The author's note, where he explains how they arrive at estimates and the challenges that arise when trying to calculate such large numbers was also well done and interesting. And I love the anatomy of that ...more
Mary Ann
Seth Fishman makes number sense and estimating so much fun with this terrific picture book!! He begins with the sun, explaining that it's just one star among "(maybe) 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars." And he even helps readers know how to say this crazy number, putting the words "a hundred billion trillion" down in the corner. As he tours the universe and our world, looking at different huge numbers: 10 quadrillion ants may equal 7.5 billion humans in weight (OMG!!!) and, 420 million kids ...more
Jen
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
My favorite comparison made was that the humans in the world (about 7.5 billion) weigh about the same as the ants in the world (about 10 quadrillion). Whoa!
Jill
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Every December the Antietam National Battlefield holds a "Memorial Illumination" in honor of the soldiers who fell during the bloodiest single-day battle of the Civil War. Fought on September 17, 1862, the battle resulted in approximately 23,000 casualties (men listed as killed, wounded, captured or missing) in roughly 12 hours. (The total number killed on both sides is estimated to be 3,650.)

The Illumination features 23,000 candles - one for each casualty. Many volunteers light the candles at
storymamas
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of our new favorites, A Hundred Billion Trillion Stars! Not only does this book give you tons of great information about stars, space and Earth but it’s an amazing book to talk about those huge, challenging numbers! We originally picked this one up due to the topic of space but fell in love with counting the zeros in various numbers. My 4 year old loves reading this one and he has been talking about numbers since we read it the first time. Thankfully Seth put each of the numbers in words on ...more
Joshua
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
"The whole world is filled with big, enormous, gigantic, humongous, incredible numbers." What a ton of fun. The playful art does a pretty good job of illustrating what the text is getting at, considering it's impossible to actually illustrate all three trillion trees, for example. And a neat choice to print the numeral within the text ("2,500,000") and the name for it ("two million five hundred thousand") at the bottom of the page.
Beverly
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jnf-500
A funny and informative book about very large numbers.
Kris
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Manages to take big concepts and make them manageable. This is able to teach about astronomy, math, and the uniqueness of each human being, all at the same time. Really cool.
Gina
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting concept. It gives some idea of really large numbers without being too overwhelming.
Constance
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone and children with a passion for the universe
Shelves: childrens-books
The best thing about my husband having grandchildren is that with two visiting later this month
I can embibe in buying and reading children’s books to them!
Theresa Grissom
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating picture book.
Lynn
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read aloud for kids learning about space. A lot of fun and very enjoyable. It also teaches what it intends to teach, that space is really really big!
Moira
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So many numbers! I love how the giant numbers are written out so we know how to say them. Great art! Fun presentation of all the huge numbers. Really like this book!
Ms. Shoshana
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science, non-fiction
I really liked this! I think it'd great for a curious questioning kid. I liked the author's note's explanation of estimates, although I imagine it might not satisfy a kid who wants to know EVERYTHING. But some things are unknowable! Still, this seems like a great introduction to the natural world and some scientific concepts. I also liked the art.

I really really like that each page has the numbers spelled out in words - if I was reading this aloud, I know i'd get tripped up on some of them, so
Jesse
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a fun way to incorporate numbers into a captivating story. I loved all the factual information and the illustrations supported it brilliantly.
b.andherbooks
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
A fantastic book introducing the concept of ginormous numbers to kiddos that thankfully includes HOW to say each of these huge numbers at the bottom of the page for parents reading aloud. The illustrations are also as gorgeous and diverse as the concepts presented, especially that despite these huge numbers there is only ONE you.

Would make a wonderful holiday gift to a young person in your life.
Susie
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When the Boston Globe-Horn Book Awards were announced, I had already read 4 of the 9 titles, so decided to try to read the rest. The way the illustrations "jump out" set this book apart from many of the others that like to include various numbers about everything from the miniscule to the interplanetary. It would be fun to have students write their own book in a similar style with the stats of their choice. I think my favorite fact included was that the weight of the ants on earth is about equal ...more
Michelle Gray
This book does a great job of taking a large concept and making it accessible for kids. Looking forward to using this in my solar system storytime coming up.
Kelly
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book a billion trillion much!
Erin
A very readable exploration of very, very large numbers.
Kara
How do you convey the immensity of numbers like three hundred seventy billion billion? Writing a 3 and a 7 followed by 19 zeros likely won’t do the job. Instead, this book uses awe-inducing facts from the cosmos (a hundred billion trillion stars in the universe) and the ground beneath our feet (10 quadrillion ants on Earth) to explore scale and estimation. Intimate second-person narration also draws in readers. For example, the book opens with the line "Let me tell you a secret" and later ...more
Ris
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This is, as you may be able to guess from the title, a book about numbers. Big numbers. It's a great way to start introducing kids to perspective and the relationship between things. It's also great for those kids who ask a thousand strange questions--just because they can.

Full disclosure: I forgot how to even read some of these numbers out loud. I knew what they meant, but reading them to a kid? W-e-l -l.

I'd probably have another book of random questions and answers on hand (My mom still has
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the use and explanations of these extremely large numbers, and I definitely plan to read this aloud with students. Don't miss the author's note at the end.
Sam
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.75 Stars
Sandy
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazon marked this novel as one of their best children’s books of 2017 so I had to check it out. I liked many of the other books that they had listed in this category and this cover was screaming at me with its bright colors and its fun illustration that I thought I would fall for it too.

The illustrations inside this novel are fantastic. They pop off the page and scream for your attention. They begin with contrasting colors that illustrate the energetic scenes. The bright, bold text then grabs
Maren Prestegaard
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Man this math book got me. I have no idea how to say numbers that large. Fantastic!
Lynn
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A terrific way to think about huge numbers! Playful examples and illustrations make big ideas approachable.
Alice
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.25 This book, well first off, was really hard to say the numbers. Second, it just blew my mind.

"The subtitle of the book is Can you imagine so many...of anything?" The answer is NO!
Very interesting! Nice pictures! This would be a great math lesson. Just saying 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 correctly is fun (billion trillion .. or sextillion)
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Red and Lulu
  • The Panda Problem
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • I Want That Nut!
  • Mary Wears What She Wants
  • The Brilliant Deep: Rebuilding the World's Coral Reefs: The Story of Ken Nedimyer and the Coral Restoration Foundation (Environmental Science for Kids, The Environment and You for Kids, Conservation for Kids)
  • Truman
  • Hair Love
  • Hattie & Hudson
  • I Will Be Fierce
  • I Walk with Vanessa: A Story about a Simple Act of Kindness
  • Rot, the Cutest in the World!
  • Harold & Hog Pretend For Real! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #6)
  • The Little Guys
Seth Fishman is a native of Midland, Texas (think Friday Night Lights), and a graduate of Princeton University and the University of East Anglia in Norwich, England. He spends his days as a literary agent at The Gernert Company and his nights (and mornings) writing. He lives in LA with his wife and son.

His first picture book (with Isabel Greenberg Illustrating), A HUNDRED BILLION TRILLION STARS,