Start by marking “The General's Legacy, Part One: Inheritance (The General of Valendo #1)” as Want to Read:
The General's Legacy, Part One: Inheritance (The General of Valendo #1)

Read Book

The General's Legacy, Part One: Inheritance (The General of Valendo #1)

A king obsessed with conquest, armies, magic, and monsters powered by the souls of the dead – the legendary General of Valendo defended his kingdom from them all and taught his grandson, Prince Cory, everything he could. But the worst is yet to come.

Cory’s life is changed forever after the general’s death when their enemy strikes at the heart of their Kingdom. Confronted b
Published November 30th 2016 by Camdaw

To ask other readers questions about The General's Legacy, Part One, please sign up.
Adrian G Hilder As a book, I rate it PG-13 and I wrote it with that age group in mind. There are love scenes, but they are not in any way explicit - they portray roma…moreAs a book, I rate it PG-13 and I wrote it with that age group in mind. There are love scenes, but they are not in any way explicit - they portray romance. Scenes of violence and horror in a fantasy story context are not out of place with what I was reading when I was 13-18. I would let my 11-year-old son read it now.
As a film, it could be a PG-13 or 17 depending on how much detail the production went into on the battle and horror elements. If it were ever made into a film I would hope they produced it so that it works for the PG-13 audience.
Above all this is a fantasy story that reads with the pace of a thriller.
Thank you for your interest!
Adrian(less)

Start your review of The General's Legacy, Part One: Inheritance (The General of Valendo #1)
James Tivendale
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
To begin, I would like to Adrian G. Hilder and Camdaw for sending me a copy of The General's Legacy, Part 1: Inheritance in exchange for an honest review. This is the excellent and highly polished first part of Hilder's debut outing. Part 2: Whiteland King will complete The General's Legacy when it is released shortly.

The tale begins in a highly intriguing manner with readers about to witness an epic battle revealing the intense hatred between the two opposing armies of Valendo and Nearhon. We
Dianne
Fantasy lovers are in for a treat with Adrian Hilder’s THE GENERAL’S LEGACY: PART ONE: INHERITANCE! He was a legend, a fierce warrior and leader who was determined to conquer all he deemed necessary by use of magic, force and even the souls of the dead. His legacy to his grandson was to teach him all he could, but young Prince Cory had no idea how different these lessons were to the reality of war and bloodshed and it was his duty to lead his soldiers into battle and possibly their death.

Frustra
Y.I. Washington
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this novel for free by signing up for Mr. Hilder's email newsletter. The below review is honest and spoiler free.

I truly feel that an author must take the time to study the various nuances of the beautiful craft of storytelling. And I am very pleased to say that Mr. Hilder has done so.

His gorgeous style of writing transported me directly into a world of magic, political shenanigans, war, love, mystery and waterfalls. This is a refreshing fantasy story that leaves the cursing, bloody d
Kathy
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding! I haven't enjoyed a book this much in a long time. Inheritance has the emotional depth of Naomi Novik's Uprooted plus plenty of action, complex characters and a vivid setting. Overall excellent fantasy that makes you feel like you are there and makes you care about the people. I'm looking forward to reading the second in the series.

Read my full review here: http://www.morebooksthantime.com/gene...
Mihir
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fbc-spfbo-3
OVERVIEW/ANALYSIS: Adrian G. Hilder’s debut The General’s Legacy: Inheritance was a fantasy story that stays true to several beloved fantasy tropes and this was a story that does several things in a solid manner.

The story opens up in midst of an epic battle with soldiers, magic and monsters, we get several viewpoints in to this fight and get to meet several prominent characters such as General Garon, Zeivite the mage and the indomitable warrior Quain. Soon after the events of the battle in the p
Linda Todd
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-fab
Amazing book loved reading this wonderful story. A swords and sorcery what more can you ask for a truly exceptional first part of a truly wonderful larger story. My heart felt thanks to the author Adrian G. Hilder for the gift of allowing me to read one of his amazing stories. This book I would be so delighted to recommend this beautiful story to all my friends so to all happy reading from wee me. ☺♥
Gayreth Walden
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first I have read from Mr. Hilder, and I am happy to say I loved it. The brother princes, the mages, and the warriors are all intertwined in a carefully constructed world of magic, battles and intrigue. The story is great and I highly recommend it to fantasy readers.
Deedee
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: james-rec, fantasy, magic
What a wonderful beginning to a new series by a new writer, Adrian G. Hilder. The General of Valendo – Mercenary General or King-Consort General Garon Allus Artifex-Dendra – is a man who has lived for and thrived on the defence of his kingdom, Valendo, whether as a mercenary or later as the King-Consort. His battles against Nearhon legendary. If you like a battle with magic and mages and men who place themselves on the line, then you’ll love the prologue.

The General dies and his son, {now} King
Kay Ling
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
The prologue plunges the reader straight into a historically significant battle. A number of short scenes using viewpoint changes convey a great deal of important information in relatively few pages. We meet the general, mages, and commanders. I had to pay attention to keep all these characters and their roles straight and was glad to settle into Cory's viewpoint in chapter one. There, we see what unfolds after the death of his grandfather, the General.

This book encompasses several character's
Adrian G Hilder
Oct 27, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I am the author of The General's Legacy, so I will not leave a star rating.

The General's Legacy is published in two parts, Part One: Inheritance was released November 30, 2016. The conclusion to the story is in Part Two: Whiteland Kind that was released on February 28, 2017.

You can get your own copy of Inheritance free from adrianhilder.com when you join my mailing list. Just look for the 'Get my Free Book' button.

A sample of genuine comments people have made about the whole story:
"I loved th
Nerva Maximus
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: To anyone who wants a classic fantasy.
Shelves: fantasy
This is a good first novel from Adrian G. Hilder. While not perfect this book has a great pace and enough intrigue to keep your eyes on the page. The book starts with a great action scene that gets you hooked as well as sets up the divisive issue of the plot.

But if you are worried that this is another slow mover like GoT or any of those politics heavy series, never fear! This novel is well paced throughout even in the more slower, political moments. There are also a few twists here and there th
Andy Phillips
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was really impressed by this first book by Adrian Hilder. I found that the writing style pacy and richly described, more akin Brandon Sanderson than JRR Tolkein. Believable characters abound, and the story unfolds through a series of events that, whilst based in fantasy, do not require you to leap through mental "why on earth" hoops that I have seen with other books.

I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys the modern genre of fantasy, where the imagery is described as if you are watching a
anita Ewing
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A well written fantasy.

This is a good fantasy involving all things that a book should have. Kings, Mages, betrayal and necromancer. I can't wait for the next one. I received this book for free, but voluntarily reviewed it.
Cameron Kobes
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
The next book I’m reviewing is The General’s Legacy: Inheritance by Adrian G. Hilder, the first of the ‘General of Valendo’ series. The series (which so far includes just two books) is high/epic fantasy, set in a medieval-style world of kings and knights and wizards.
As explained in the prologue, the land of Valendo is the neighbor and sometimes enemy of the land of Nearhon. The heroic general Garon once fought against the invading people of Nearhon with the aid of the warrior Quain and the mage
Galya Varna
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The General’s Legacy, Part I – Inheritance

Author Adrian G. Hilder lures readers in a fantasy world of courage, love, magic and more.

“The General’s Legacy, Part I – Inheritance” is the debut novel of Mr. Hilder. The book starts with an epic battle in which the long-lasting animosity between the two armies transpires – the ones of Valendo and Nearhon kingdoms.

The ruler of Nearhon, an evil king, obsessed with conquering the kingdom of Valendo, uses magic and monsters to achieve his dark goals. O
Tina
Mar 30, 2017 rated it liked it
It took me a minute to figure out what this story was about. It starts with the famous General Garon and his battle with an enemy king and their battle mages. Then it turns into years later and Garon's grandsons are in charge. I'm not a big war story kind of girl but I did like the paranormal aspects of the story. It was a good read. There are mages and magical beasts but there is also a lot of remembering the past and trying to figure out the problems of today. I think I got lost when the story ...more
Karsa Orlong
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice read

Good story about a young man coming into his own. The story does not come to any kind of conclusions here. Book 2 must be read. Likeable characters but we mainly follow the main. Give it a try but prepare to buy 2 books. I liked it.
Bram Slaats
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
book was good it is a shame that it had to be cut in 2 though.
Valerie Jondahl
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A stellar debut!
This tale begins with an intense prologue as readers are about to witness an epic battle between the two opposing armies of Valendo and Nearhon.  This is a great introduction and is full of action sequences demonstrating the catastrophic magic and grotesque monsters controlled by the enemy wizards.  The main story starts fifteen years later in current day Valendo. The pace slows a bit as the main characters are introduced and some necessary foundations of politics and history are
Paul Morley
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read from start to finish.The chapters flow seamlessly and you find yourself finishing one chapter and going straight to the next regardless of time or plans.I thoroughly recommend this to anyone who loves fantasy
Tamer Makram
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read, highly recommended, I put down two other books to finish the generals legacy.
Mat
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The first installment in The General of Valendo is also Mr. Hilder's first novel. I found it to be a very well written debut novel. I found myself really enjoying the story once I got out of the prologue. That isn't to say I would skip the prologue altogether, it just isn't as fast paced as the rest of the book. The prologue does serve a purpose as it gives you an idea of where you're at once you hit chapter 1. I love the little historical facts at the beginning of each chapter as well!

I found t
Dorothy
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The General’s Legacy: Inheritance is a very good fantasy war story. It tells the story of battle mages, undead skeletons that rise from underground and enemy kings. It starts off a little slow, but picks up and keep you wanting to know what will happen next; then it ends!
I give this book 4 stars because some parts I felt could have been left out which drag the story on longer that it should, but overall I its a good read and I enjoyed the book. I am looking forward to part II to see how it all e
Mark
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, we'll written, we'll thought out story, Action and Suspence filled!
Complements to the Author!
Tracey Hoover
Feb 06, 2018
Guillermo Rodriguez
May 24, 2017

• Flight of the 500
  • Kinetic Strike (Drop Trooper #2)
  • Devoted
  • The Vermillion Isles: (Harmion, Book 2)
  • A Dangerous Witch (Wildes Witch Academy Book Two)
  • Twig of Thorn (The Blackthorn Cycle, #1)
  • Twins (The Dragon's Dove Chronicles)
  • Contact Front (Drop Trooper #1)
  • Kissed by a Dark Prince (Eternal Mates, #1)
  • The Wicca Circle (Dark Winter, #1)
  • Breeder (Arrow's Flight, #1)
  • The Lucid Dreamer (Dystopian Child Prodigy SciFi) (The Unmaker Series Book 1)
  • Dirty Blood (Dirty Blood, #1)
  • I Hate That You Bloody Left Me
  • Watched (Watched, #1)
  • Rebirth (Praegressus Project #1)
  • Dream Stalker (Talented, #1)
I was born in 1970 in Lincolnshire, UK to an English father and a Scottish mother and grew up as a child of the Royal Air Force. Moving house every few years with my parents (and later on brother) was the norm and began when I was four months old.
I lived on several RAF bases in the UK and Germany, and there was a time when I had spent more of my life in Germany than I had the UK.
My early years in