Start by marking “The Old Guard, Book One: Opening Fire” as Want to Read:
The Old Guard, Book One: Opening Fire

The Old Guard, Book One: Opening Fire

(The Old Guard #1)

Collecting the critically acclaimed miniseries by GREG RUCKA and LEANDRO FERNANDEZ.

Old soldiers never die…and some of them don’t even fade away. Cursed with immortality, Andromache of Scythia and her comrades-in-arms ply their trade for those who can find—and afford—their services. But in the 21st century, being immortal is a difficult secret to keep, and when you live lo
Published August 30th 2017 by Image Comics

Start your review of The Old Guard, Book One: Opening Fire
Anne
Aug 08, 2020 rated it liked it
There's nothing groundbreaking here, but I liked it.

description

For some reason, unknown even to themselves, there are some soldiers who don't die. Eventually yes, they'll die like everyone else.
It just may take a few thousand deaths for it to stick.

description

And when a new immortal soldier is born (by dying) the rest of them all have dreams that lead them to this new comrade.
Why?
Nobody knows.

description

Ok, so for thousands of years these guys have been able to skate under the radar, but now with technology able to track peopl
Sam Quixote
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Get ready to be knocked out with this original concept: people who can’t die! Woooah… yeah and that’s our protagonists in The Old Guard, a buncha unkillable soldiers-turned-mercenaries. And get this for a gripping storyline: they’re gonna grudgingly go through the motions of doing mercenary stuff because fuck it. I know, I’m on the edge of my seat too… zzz…

You might’ve picked up that I’m not terribly impressed with Greg Rucka and Leandro Fernandez’s new Image series! But then I’m not sure who w
James DeSantis
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Greg Rucka is slowly rising to my top 10 writers of all time. I read a few duds but the more I read the more I'm enjoying his work. Especially his creator own stuff.

The Old Guard takes a idea you've seen before. What if you couldn't die? Immortal? No. No quite. What if you could die, over and over again, and just keep coming back? Interesting huh? Now take a group of individuals who give you very distinct different view points about their powers and their life up until this point and you have a
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
3.5 shinies :)

“War never takes the wicked man by chance, the good man always.”
- Sophocles, Philoctetes

This graphic novel takes you traveling! The Old Guard refers to a small group of people who are near immortal…they have lived lifetimes and just not died.
They are sort of like a secret society of mercenaries. Only a few people know of them and they try to keep it that way. As they get offered a job, they actually end up getting set up. Someone wants what they have!
Despite the futuristic shoot o
Chad
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
The story of a team of immortal mercenaries who are discovered and must cover their tracks.

I'm a Greg Rucka fanatic but this was a dud. There's no explanation why these guys are immortal. Or worse, why they have dreams when a new immortal shows up. And then one day after being shot and stabbed thousands of times and living for a thousand years, they just die.

For an action oriented story, this was boring. Leandro Fernandez is a wannabe Eduardo Rizzo. But where Rizzo's art is clean and concise,
Jokoloyo
Jul 17, 2020 rated it liked it
I like the emotional and relationship bonding of the old guards. I think it is the strong point of the story. The plot is hardly thrilling with classic super hero against unpowered villains. The plot seems standard, if not a bit better than average, as a first arch of a series.
Alexander Peterhans
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: as-single-issues
What are the chances that the few people in the whole of humanity who are (near-)immortal, all have so little imagination the only thing they can think of to use their (near-)immortality, is mercenary work. Incroyable!

And then those (near-)immortals keep droning on about how aaawful it is to live sooo long. Add a lot of hackneyed action movie dialogue, and don't forget some firearms that go budda! budda! budda! and you're on Netflix.

(Read as five single issues)
L. McCoy
SUPER FAST REVIEW:
I normally like Rucka’s writing... but I wasn’t into this.
The story itself is actually pretty cool. Rucka does write the protagonist characters pretty well. There’s a lot of action throughout so it’s not one I could understand someone calling boring.
Unfortunately the villain is pretty bad. He does fortunately have a clear goal but at the same time he’s very generic and stereotypical. The dialogue is pretty iffy throughout (as if I kinda wonder if Rucka actually read over the sc
Priscilla (Bookie Charm)
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Old Guard is a graphic novel series about 5 immortal warriors who band together in a found family. Its a story that is filled with action, violence, betrayal, complex characters, and heart. Immortality also has it's limits in this world and the exploration of this theme is one of the reasons I love the story.

The 2020 Netflix adaption brought me here so my review will rely heavily on the comparison of the two. The graphic novel is closely adapted to film with exact lines and scenes included
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
It has a really good premise and plays quite well on the idea of immortality and the relativity of time but the world-building is weak and suffers enormously from not exploring the history behind these characters more profoundly.

The artwork has a unique style that doesn't shock or awe. It works for what it is but it's often rough around the edges and makes it difficult to enjoy the action sequences. Especially the gore-filled ones.

Yours truly,

Lashaan | Blogger and Book Reviewer
Official blog: htt
Artemy
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Greg Rucka lifts the concept of a person who cannot die from his other book, Lazarus, and applies it to several far more interesting characters, and then gives them a much more compelling story, and that's The Old Guard. Yep, it's good!

So, I hate Lazarus. I think it may be Rucka's worst comic. It's just so lifeless, characterless and bland, I can't see what's so great about it. So when I heard about The Old Guard, his new book with a similar premise, I felt skeptical. Surprisingly enough, it was
Sana
'I think everything is broken.'
'Everything is.'

So I only came to know about this comic series when Netflix tweeted about its adaptation coming later this year. I mean, Charlize Theron as a leader of an immortal badass mercenary group (directed by a female director) and I knew this was gonna be my first comic of 2020.

Now that I've read, I really hope the adaptation rocks. It has to what with Andy being the oldest living immortal (they should have a proper word since they do keep dying but just
Sud666
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
The Old Guard was a nice read. It's the story of two women and three men who can not die. They are centuries old and have fought in almost every major conflict in history. They have led secretive lives and are always on the move from mission to mission.

But now someone knows their secret and wants the gift of everlasting life. That's the gist of the story. It is a pretty good story and violent too boot. The artwork may be the weakest part of this volume. It isn't awful, but still, is not to my pr
Sahitya
Even though I watched the movie first, reading the graphic novel was still enjoyable and it was so much fun trying to figure out the differences between the two, and think which was done better. I was definitely reading all of Andy’s dialogue in Charlize Theron’s voice because I can’t get her out of my head. And my favorite scene of the movie - Joe’s romantic confession about Nicky - was even more heartwarming and spectacular in the book and I don’t think I can forget it anytime soon.

To conclud
Rod Brown
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
A simple concept executed well. A modern-day band of mercenaries has a big old secret: they're immortal. And they have just discovered a new member of their rare breed. But one of the mortals they work with has sussed out the secret and sells it to a rich and powerful man who wants to figure out how to bottle immortality.

Death and destruction. Death and friendship. Death and betrayal. Death and love. But mostly death.

Fast-paced, funny, and violent with quickly endearing characters.

I'm eager to s
Skye Kilaen
High-action, high-violence graphic novel about immortal warriors that has already been optioned for film, and yes please, especially if they keep the diversity. It stars a small team of mercenaries in current times, all hundreds of years old, who come back to life when killed - until they don't, and they won't get any warning that this end is the last one. Andy, one of the two female leads, is bi or pan. Nile, the other, is African-American. Two of the male team members, Nicky and Joe (formerly ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

This isn't original in the slightest. In fact, it feels like a blend of two other Rucka specials, Stumptown and Lazarus. But damned if I didn't enjoy the hell out of it. Yes, the characters are cliched (especially Nile and Andy), the story goes along the route you would expect for something like this - but again, I can't help it, I really enjoyed reading about this.

Totally wouldn't mind seeing where this story goes, especially how this one ended (most interesting way to deal with t
Lata
Aug 02, 2020 rated it liked it
A story that reminded me slightly of Highlander. Pretty violent plot with lots of action; also fairly predictable. But I did like the dynamic between Nile and Andy, and Andy’s utter weariness, and I was happy that Nicky and Joe survived.
just finished the movie and had to immediately read the graphic novel, a good choice I would say
Robert
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those Who Are All Streamed-Out
Shelves: hoopla, image
PROS v CONS of reading this as a Graphic Novel instead of just watching the Netflix Movie.

PROS:

Murky stylized art let's your imagination fill in the blanks.

CONS:

No Charlize Theron.

I've made worse decisions, but not recently.
RG
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
The story was a bit confusing to begin with. The immortality was never explained, it was just kind of thrown at us. Once the story developed it became a full blown espionage action plot. Some cool action sequences but I found the art at times pretty simple and confusing. The twist I actually didnt see coming, which I commend the team for. It has potential to be a pretty cool series, just in the infancy stage atm.
Juho Pohjalainen
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
There's some good bits here - art is good, action is solid, more than a decent premise - but on the whole it's just a huge missed opportunity. There was a lot it promised and could have given, but those things it just teases and then steps aside for more action. Why are these guys immortal? No one knows, no one gets to know.

I believe I'll keep at it anyway. Maybe they'll answer these questions later, build it into a story arc where this one's only the beginning. But on its own it doesn't really
Ashley Marie
The story more than made up for my quibbles with the art. Wonderfully realized, and brilliantly adapted in the Netflix film. The film may have an edge if only for one scene missing from the volume, however I am told I ought continue with volume 2, so perhaps what I'm missing will be there.
Frédéric
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The Old Guard is a bunch of immortal mercenaries. Well, not exactly immortal but I won't spoil  it for you.

From this Rucka gets a great action-packed thriller. Most of the situations our characters are involved in aren't new. Moreover their resilience to death should obviously kill any suspense. Then the question isn't "who'll die?" but more "how will they get out of it?" (Same question as always actually)
Easy.
With a Bang!

Through good characters and excellent lines (off monologues as well as dia
Michelle Curie
Jul 13, 2020 rated it liked it
"This is a fairy tale of blood and bullets. It is the story of one woman and three men who cannot die. Mostly."

I watched the Netflix adaptation a few days ago, and while the film had many flaws, the story itself interested me, which is what made me pick up the graphic novel that it was based on.

This graphic novel tells the story of Andy, Nicky, Joe and Booker – four immortal soldiers. What sounds like a dream has its downsides – and there are a lot of them. It doesn't particularly help that
Shannon Appelcline
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-indy
Immortals who have lived through the historical eras of the world is an intriguing concept ... and it feels like Rucka does about the least interesting thing possible with the concept: his immortals are mercenaries who run around and kill people and can't be killed.

The actual plot is a bit stronger than that premise, as it's about people finding out about the immortals, which could be a major turning point for their story. Maybe it still will be here. But here it just turns into a kill-fest wit
Devann
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

I know the whole 'immortal mercenary' plot line is nothing new [in fact, from reading other reviews on this title I think it's something even this particular author has done before], but it's still one of my favorite tropes and I just really liked this book. I think it helps that I loved all of the characters and that they weren't just your standard posse of "straight white dudes that all have the same personality
Trin
This is fine. It made me appreciate a lot of the adaptation choices made by the Netflix film, for which I can now clearly see Rucka (who also wrote the screenplay) refined many of his initial ideas; unfortunately, if you come to this graphic novel after the movie, the comic feels like a rough draft.

Also I really dislike the art, which is stylized to the point of being ugly: everyone looks kind of simian? Leandro Fernández's heterosexuality certainly seems to be on full display. (If this is an in
nadia | notabookshelf
3.5/5

i don't wanna say i liked this less than the movie simply because i personally prefer action and thriller on screen, and any book/comic content is more for like, contemplation. but that's abstractions.

to the point: i love the changes they made for the movie, it really worked so well. still though i can't not love the characters, here they're more fleshed out for sure, more backstory and substance, i guess.

am very much looking forward to vol.2 & movie 2, lol

• Outcast, Vol. 5: The New Path
  • Kick-Ass, The New Girl: Book One
  • Curse Words, Vol. 2: Explosiontown
  • Doctor Strange, Vol. 5: Secret Empire
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series. ...more

The Old Guard (2 books)