Start by marking “From Prejudice to Pride: A History of the LGBTQ+ Movement” as Want to Read:
From Prejudice to Pride: A History of the LGBTQ+ Movement

From Prejudice to Pride: A History of the LGBTQ+ Movement

The history of the LGBT movement is told through personal stories and firsthand accounts of the movement's key events, like the 1950s 'Lavender Scare', the Stonewall Inn uprising, and the AIDS crisis. Readers will learn how many famous historical members of the LGBT community kept their sexual orientation a secret in order to avoid persecution and be inspired by the many p ...more
Published June 8th 2017 by Wayland

To ask other readers questions about From Prejudice to Pride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Prejudice to Pride

Jane Hill
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-and-teens
This is exactly the book I have been looking for to add to my school library - the kids are going to be thrilled with it! For such a slender book, there's a huge amount of ground covered here, with a decent global view of queer history around the world, and good representation of the trans community's role in the history of LGBTQ rights.

I have my quibbles with various things in the book, but they're all minor details. I'm just really happy I can finally give my students a book on LGBTQ history t
Caro
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is an incredible look at the history of the LGBT+ movement aimed at 11-14 years old.

This is a book that should be in every school and library. The erasure of LGBT+ history has been constant up until relatively recently and this book goes a way to address this.

Of course it isn't a definite history of the movement and while it is inclusive of many parts of the movement and the community, there are some omissions (intersex people and their history most notably, and not quite enough on a sexua
Kasandra Mavrigiannaki
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great, easy to read and comprehensive guide to the history of the LBGTQ+ rights movement. It literally includes everything someone needs to know, it's very colourful and easy to understand, and very informative! I don't want to say that this is necessarily a children's book because anyone can have a copy of it, including adults. This is the first of its kind as far as I know and is amazing.

I taught an LGBTQ lesson to a class of 11-13 year olds and passed this book around the classroom
I Read, Therefore I Blog
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
LGBTQ+ campaigner Amy Lame's summary of the history of the LGBTQ+ movement for readers aged 12+ is a brief but wide-ranging and informative read with a particular focus on the US and UK and which serves as a good introduction to some of the people who have fought for LGBTQ+ rights and the issues that the community continues to endure today.
Angelique
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This would be an excellent book for a young teenager, not so much an adult. There wasn't a whole lot for me to learn here and while colourful, it's layout is not for me.
HowardHomeEd
Apr 06, 2018
Bethany
Jul 04, 2017
Will Man
rated it did not like it
Mar 19, 2017