Start by marking “The Killer On The Wall” as Want to Read:
The Killer On The Wall

The Killer On The Wall

The first body comes as a shock

The second brings horror

The third signals the beginning of a nightmare

When fifteen-year-old Isla Bell finds three bodies propped against Hadrian’s Wall, her whole world falls apart. In such a close-knit community, everyone knows the victims, and the man who did it.

Twenty years on and Isla has dedicated her life to forensic psychology; studyin
Published April 20th 2017 by Cornerstone Digital

To ask other readers questions about The Killer On The Wall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Killer On The Wall

Paromjit
This is a dark, bleak, atmospheric, and intense psychological thriller that makes for a disturbing read. In 1995, 15 year old Isla Bell is going for her early morning run when she comes across murder victims posed against Hadrian's Wall and her life and Briganton is never to be the same again. Her father, Sergeant Eric Bell, is lauded a hero and is famous as the man who arrested the killer, Heath McGowan. Twenty years later, Isla is Professor of Criminal Psychology and engaged in research which ...more
Emma
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I was hoping for more from this. The premise is a good hook, I love a bit of serial murder in a small town. Yet I guessed the ending within the first few chapters, it was obvious and very clearly signposted. After that it was just watching everyone in the multiple POVs bumble their way to the same conclusion. You only really need to read the first and last 10% if you read it at all.

ARC via Netgalley
Susan
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twenty years ago, fifteen year old Isla Bell discovered three bodies propped against Hadrian’s Wall. The case was solved by her father, Detective Sergeant Eric Bell, who became a hero to the local town of Briganton. Now Isla is married to the brother of one of the victims and is a forensic scientist, studying serial killers to try to find a neurological reason for their behaviour.

When the novel begins, Isla is about to carry out tests of Heath McGowan, the man who was the ‘Killer on the Wall,’ a
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
The Killer On The Wall is a chilling story about Isla Bell, a young girl that finds three bodies propped against Hadrian's wall. This will have a great impact on her life. She will, later on, dedicate her life studying the brains of serial killers, in hope that one day she will find what makes a person a killer. Then, 20 years later a body is found propped up against the wall, and then another.

I found The Killer On The Wall the be interesting to read. There are several POV's in this book, among
Liz Barnsley
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It started with the bodies….Well yes, indeed it did and the opening salvo from Emma Kavanagh in The Killer On The Wall made me actually shiver – the scene setting itself would have been enough but then there were BODIES. And I pretty much continued to shiver my way through the rest of the novel as well and not just because of all the death and desolation.

Basically The Killer on the Wall is an utterly riveting psychological thriller with Ms Kavanagh’s trademark divisive yet endlessly compelling c
Kate
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Intense and atmospheric.

Ingstje
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I loved The Missing Hours so much that I really jumped at the chance to read Emma Kavanagh’s new novel The Killer On The Wall. Maybe my expectations were too high after the previous one because in this novel I did find a few things that kept me from falling in love like the first time.

There are 2 investigating characters in The Killer On The Wall: Mina who’s a detetective and Isla, the woman who found the first victims of Heath McGowan at the Wall 20 years ago. Isla has dedicated her life and wo
Christine
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emma Kavanagh’s psychological novels are a thing of beauty. She does something a bit different and unique this time, with the horrors of small town murder. The Killer on the Wall is the latest to hit the shelves.

Isla Bell, a teenager on a morning run, discovers three bodies murdered and displayed at Hadrian’s Wall in Northumbria. This leads to her fascination with killers. She pursues a career investigating them, using technology to identify psychotic tendencies through biology. In the present d
Pat
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

Really good book. Created a spooky atmosphere.

In the quiet village of Briganton, Isla Bell is a fifteen year old teenager out for her morning run. She runs the perimeter of the moors and passes by a well-known landmark - Hadrian's wall. On this morning, Isla finds three bodies strangled and poised on the wall. She runs home to tell her father, the local constable, of the tragedy. The police spend some time on the investigation but soon capture the killer.

Twenty years later, Isla Bell is now a
Mandy
3.5 * This was my second Kavanagh and quite different, it was a bit slow to start and I guessed early on who the killer was, I suppose that comes from reading a lot of mystery/thrillers but it was still a good story with some interesting characters and a great setting though as someone else mentioned some history on Hadrian's Wall would have been interesting.

I will be picking up more books by this author in future.
Joanne Robertson
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have looked forward to reading The Killer on The Wall for a while now and I wasn’t disappointed. Emma Kavanagh has played to her strengths again and based her serial killer thriller in a close knit community where everyone seems to be linked to the crimes committed 20 years ago. Can everyone be trusted especially now it looks like the murders have started up again? And how and why are they happening if the Killer on the Wall is now locked away from society for his crimes.

This is the sort of bo
Tracy Shephard
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a novel with the WOW factor.

Isla has lived with the murders of Briganton, since she was a girl and she found the bodies propped against the wall. The Wall being the famous Hadrians wall, but the history of the Northern sleepy town in which she lived was lost when a serial killer took over.

Now twenty years later, Isla's job as a Forensic psychologist has brought her in touch with the man who killed three people and left for dead the man who is now her husband.

Heath McGowan, having been
Helen
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable crime thriller with a few twisty-turny bits, not all of which I saw coming. Isla and Mina were great characters, but it was the setting of Hadrian's Wall that really distinguished this novel for me.
Cleo Bannister
Isla was just fifteen when she came across three dead bodies sat up against Hadrian’s Wall. Alongside them was the brother of one of the victims, injured but still alive. Isla ran to get help from her father Sergeant Eric Bell and he made it his mission to find out who committed this atrocity in the small town community of Briganton. Life was never the same again, the scars of the events of 1995 never quite healing.

In the present day Isla is Professor of Criminal Psychology, her way of trying to
Roman Clodia
Definitely a book that needs a large suspension of disbelief: there's a kind of muddy feel to the writing, a lack of clarity and direction. At the same time, there are so few suspects that anyone familiar with the genre is likely to see where this is going from pretty early on - the denouement doesn't really make psychological sense despite a last minute half-hearted revelation of childhood abuse as a kind of explanation for psychopathy.

The close atmosphere is both a plus and a minus: on one han
Bookread2day
I bought my own copy. Sorry couldn't get into this fictional story. However I have read the works of psychologist Kent Kiehl and gave that a five star rating. The idea for The Killer On The Wall book has been loosely based on psychologist Kent Kiehl looking into criminal minds. The Killer On The Wall. It began with the bodies. They had been seated backs propped against the tumbledown stones of Hadrian's Wall. Thirteen serial killers, thirteen times they had removed monsters from their cages and ...more
Clair
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It began with the bodies…

What an opening line! The bodies are all lined up against Hadrian’s Wall, almost like they have just fallen asleep – except they haven’t, they have been brutally murdered. Isla Bell is 15 and out for her morning run when she comes across these 3 bodies back in July 1996.

The narrative then moves to October 2016 and it is revealed that Heath McGowan is the killer on the wall. Isla is now a professor of criminal psychology and is undertaking a study on brain functionality a
Jill's Book Cafe
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, netgalley
Well first of all, the blurb tells you everything you need to know about the basic plot, so no more from me on that score. However what the blurb can't tell you is how well written and engaging this book is. From a dramatic start with the discovery of 3 bodies and a badly injured 4th victim, to the jaw-dropping end via fear, doubt and mistrust in the middle.

The book is set in Northumberland, in the fictional village of Briganton, somewhere close to Hadrian's wall. Using the setting of a small c
Mary Lou
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The setting is Briganton, infamous as the town where, twenty years previous, Heath McGowan went on a killing spree, with a signature of leaving his victims propped up against Hadrian’s Wall.
McGowan is now in prison but the killings have started again. Are they connected to the original murders and how can they be stopped?
Professor Isla Blair is a psychologist with a special interest in psychopathy. Her father is the police superintendent who solved the original case, and she is now married to th
Nicki Southwell
This is a gritty psychological thriller set in the beautiful landscape of Hadrian's Wall country. Briganton is situated between Carlisle and Newcastle and has some of the most stunning scenery in the country.

Isla Bell finds three bodies, propped against a wall. Such a shocking thing to come across and it has stayed with her for many years. Eventually, the killer, Heath McGowan, was caught and sent to prison.

20 years later and more bodies are found. Did they convict the right man?

Isla's job is a
Kirsty 📚📖❤️
This for me didn’t live up to the expectations of the initial description. I really wanted to enjoy it but it just seemed to obvious. I’d got it down to two people quite quickly and both became part of the big reveal. Just a bit too much foreshadowing and not enough suspense for me.

The premise was a good one – small village murders being recreated twenty years on. Is it a copy cat? Was the original killer working with someone else who’s gone undetected all this time? These ideas are great and I
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

It began with the bodies. Indeed it did. The opening of the this new detective story from Emma Kavanagh starts thrilling with the discovery of multiple bodies neatly positioned against Hadrian’s Wall. It’s meant to shock the reader right into the story, but I’ve to admit, that I actually had a hard time getting into it, because after its great opening it slowed down quite a lot.

This story is set twenty years after the events described i
Bruce Hatton
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-crime
This is a highly atmospheric thriller set in the beautifully bleak north English countryside near Hadrian's Wall. After a twenty year hiatus, it looks like a serial killer is active again. However, the man convicted of the original killings, Heath McGowan, is still in prison. Isla Bell, who as a 15-year-old, discovered the original victims, is now a forensic psychologist studying serial killers. It was her father, Eric, now a Police Superintendant, who discovered the damning evidence that origin ...more
Emma
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twenty years ago, a small village on the edge of Hadrian’s Wall was left shocked and scarred by a series of murders. Eventually, the killer was caught, but people were never the same again. Each did what they could to cope, some better than others, and to forget – though it seems that wasn’t really possible.

For Isla – who found three of the victims – coping has meant looking the evil she came across that day in the eye. She is a forensic psychologist, studying the brains of serial killers to try
Tracy Shephard
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a novel with the WOW factor.

Now twenty years later, Isla’s job as a Forensic psychologist has brought her in touch with the man who killed three people and left for dead the man who is now her husband.

Heath McGowan, having been ar
Amanda McGill
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I'm disappointed that I didn't enjoy Emma Kavanagh's novel more. I really loved her previous novels.

I think my problem with the book is that I didn't like one of the main characters, Isla. Isla studies forensic psychology and examines the brains of serial killers, digging into what makes them kill. I found that I was skimming over a lot of her sections, getting bored with her analysis. After reading the author's note at the end, she had quite an interest in the topic. Sadly, I didn't share that
Julie
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this novel in exchange for an honest appraisal. I can't say I really enjoyed this sadly, but you can't win them all. I found that the red herrings felt very blunt and obvious and the writing whilst good, did not reach the level I have seen previously from the author.
I am disappointed as I really wanted to love this. If you are an avid reader of this type of psychological thriller then it may not give you enough substance either. If yo
Sid
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was a bit predictable for my liking and even though it was quite well written I was honestly not hooked on to it. The setting of the book was really nice and the characters were well created. Honestly, in my opinion, if the book hadn't been predictable then it would have been a really wonderful page turner and a brilliant book. Three stars from me.
Laura Rash
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was impressed with this. A few times I was sure I had it figured out, found out I was wrong, then in the end I was initially right! I like one I can’t figure out so easily!
4cats
Mar 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stand alone crime novel which is set close to Hadrian's Wall in Northumberland. The village of Briganton has a history of violence ( 20 years previously a serial killer upset the calm of the isolated village)..... and now 20 years later the violence returns.
  • In Too Deep
  • The Wish Child
  • Netið
  • The Daughter's Secret
  • They All Fall Down
  • Dark Chapter
  • Neon Pilgrim
  • First Steps In Counselling: A Student's Companion for Basic Introductory Courses
  • Fault Lines
  • Stench
  • How to Speak Chicken: Why Your Chickens Do What They Do & Say What They Say
  • The Crying Place
  • The Fortress
Emma Kavanagh was born and raised in South Wales. After graduating with a PhD in Psychology from Cardiff University, she spent many years working as a police and military psychologist, training firearms officers, command staff and military personnel throughout the UK and Europe. Now she is lucky enough to be able to write for a living. She lives in South Wales with her husband, young sons, and a d ...more