Start by marking “The Beasts Who Fought for Fairyland Until the Very End and Further Still” as Want to Read:
The Beasts Who Fought for Fairyland Until the Very End and Further Still

The Beasts Who Fought for Fairyland Until the Very End and Further Still

(Fairyland 0.6)

From Catherynne M. Valente's blog:
"Ever since the election, people have been telling me to shut up and go back to Fairyland. Be silent. Be good. Accept. Submit. Stop talking about politics. Stick to fairy tales. (As if fairy tales have ever not been about politics.) Go back to Fairyland. Go back to Fairyland.

So I did. Please enjoy this story set before the events of The Gi
Published November 28th 2016 (first published 2016)

Be the first to ask a question about The Beasts Who Fought for Fairyland Until the Very End and Further Still

Bradley
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2018-shelf
I've been a long-time fan of Valente's Fairyland series and picking up the pre-short-short to the first book was a no-brainer.

The fact that Valente has been quite vocal about what happened with the US Presidential elections *might* have had something to do with the writing of this short, too. *Maybe*

But either way, she's killing two birds with one stone, writing a rallying cry against a bad ruler of fairyland, saying "No" enough times for some real magic to happen, while picking carefully the r
Trish
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bloody hell. Literally.

You know what has happened to 99.9% of people ever since a certain orange man was elected to the most powerful office on this planet. Well, I'm not usually one to discuss this as a rational discussion often isn't happening anymore since both sides prefer to just hurl insults at one another and be unreasonable. However, there is no denying that the orange man is a bad person. If he turns out to be a bad ruler, remains to be seen. Thus, it is only natural that certain people
Athena
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Valente fans, Americans disheartened by byzantine election law
Strongly written, emotionally powerful short story from a brilliant author, written in reaction to the 2016 presidential election in the US. Inspiring, quick read.

Read for free on Valente's website at The Beasts Who Fought For Fairyland
Moonlight Reader
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
And now I'm crying. Again.

This was lovely, though.
Kirsty
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's okay. Trump's (I will never call him 'President') term will finish in a few years. Hold tight. For now, just read this fantastic - and very anti-Trump - Valente story, which will give you hope that order will be restored. It contains gems like the following:

'But haven't we had tyrants and fools and hobgoblins on the throne before? Haven't we had rather a lot of hobgoblins?... And haven't we always patched up their mischief and gotten back to more or less living how we want to live and lovin
Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~)
“The first magic anyone learns is saying No,” purred the Leopard of Little Breezes. “It’s how you know a baby is starting to turn into a person. They run around saying no all day, throwing their magic at everything to see what it’ll stick to. And if they say No loud enough, and often enough, and to the right person, strange things will happen. The nasty supper is taken away. The light is left on at night instead of turned out. The toy comes out of the shop window. It is such old magic, such basi ...more
Hannah (fullybookedreviews)
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
We must say Yes to the needful, to the suffering, to the lonely, to those the Marquess punishes for saying No to her. We must band together, back to back, and say Yes to everyone who lost today, for we are all family now, and our loss is our new last name. If we must hide, we will hide. If we must flee, we will flee. If we must fight all of this all over again, we will do it and complain the whole time...But most of all, we must say Yes to the truth and the speaking of it. We must say No to sile ...more
Kimberly
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Ever since the election, people have been telling me to shut up and go back to Fairyland. Be silent. Be good. Accept. Submit. Stop talking about politics. Stick to fairy tales. (As if fairy tales have ever not been about politics.) Go back to Fairyland. Go back to Fairyland.
So I did."

Catherynne Valente, never stop talking about politics. This short story will become my battlecry in the days to come.

To read for free: http://www.catherynnemvalente.com/the...
to'c
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone who ever has or ever will shed a tear for events beyond their control
The presidential election of 2016 affected us all in deep ways. Ms Valente's pain produced a wonderful story that is suitable for healing from that tragedy (gosh, are my politics showing?) and addressing those to come for her younger readers. This is NOT a mere polemic but, like all good fairy stories, a darn good story in its own right. Suitable for all ages and containing a lesson that may be new for some but that we all should be reminded of from time to time.
Elyse

I enjoyed this little political snippet. Real world melding into this fairyland story. Got me chuckling.
Rain Misoa
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Fairyland and people looking for hope in dark times.
Recommended to Rain by: Saw when Valente linked to it on her Twitter.
An incredible little addition to the Fairyland series. And considering how our current political climate is, people need to read stories like this now more than ever. Please read this very important short story.
Alex Sarll
A prequel, and a parable for the reversals of 2016. Its correspondences to our world are somewhat more direct than the rest of the series, its poetry less free, but its note of melancholy insistence on hoping that the story hasn't ended remains valuable.
Carol
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fairyland has a terrible new ruler. But it's not the end of the story.

Please read this.
Lara Thompson
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
simple and powerful and rings of truth
Daisy Madder
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A particularly angry prequel to Fairyland, but a beautiful reminder that even when things are at their worst, the magic of No and Yes can still change the world
Amanda
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This piece is gorgeous. This was Valente's reaction to people telling her "stop talking about politics and go back to writing about you Fairyland." This is gorgeous, chilling, heart-breaking and heart-mending. It's about hope and strength, about being defeated and not-defeated-at-all. It's about holding on and fighting back, how fighting changes depending on what board, and how to never let go while waiting and acting.

No spoilers. This is a free internet Valente read and one of those exact reas
Cassie-la
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
ORIGINALLY POSTED: https://bibliomantics.com/2017/02/03/...

Written after finding herself in the darkest timeline (AKA after Trump was inexplicably elected president), Catherynne M. Valente returned to her fantastical Fairyland series to make sense of the nightmarish hellscape now known as America. While a tad heavy-handed at times, Valente’s short story is ultimately an uplifting tale about saying “Yes to the truth” and “No to silence.”
Ken Richards
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cat Valente helps us move on and plan to defy and resist ignorance and hatred in all its forms. It will be a hard battle, but the redcaps and the Marquess of Trump will only be resisted by those who do not give in to despair. A welcome dose of defiance, and a tip to the magic of 'NO'!
Gail
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I recently found this quote from Valente "when something pisses me off badly enough, I throw art in its face." It fits.
Raj
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics, fantasy
Written following the US election in 2016, this short piece sees Valente return to Fairyland as she turns her darker thoughts after the worst came to pass into art. It's Dark and bitter, but does offer some hope in the form of Defiance, of saying No and saying Yes and continuing to be kind in the face of despair.
Becca
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This tiny short story is a cute little parable about how to respond to 2016 devastating election result. It's written in Valente's distinctive Fairyland voice, but the metaphor is pretty thinly veiled. Say "no" to tyranny and "yes" to community, she concludes.
Peter
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Poignant, but a bit too much on the nose.

Not a necessary add-on to the Fairyland canon, but I understand the urge Valente felt to write this, and address the current political situation in this age where too many people want to normalize dangerous developments.
ben holum
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
It's a clever story with a great message, but it wasn't really what I was looking for when I sat down to read. Maybe I'll share this with someone who might be more impacted or enlightened by what the author is trying to say.
Robyn
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Free | "Perhaps, if you take a long enough view, we are all stronger than our goblins.” | A good allegory for this painful time since November 2016, likely most comforting to those of us who know the rest of the series.
Cassandra
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Fairyland story for those of us looking for hope after being sorely disappointed in November 2016.
christine.
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful, as always, and Defiant.
Gabrielle Carolina
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bir17
Proving that words have power, and their own very strong magic.
Nighteye
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
good written story with a good message now and than but a little too much politics in it for me, still I would like to read this series as I've heard good things about it.
Tiffany Lynn Kramer
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"You mean defiance. I know all about Defiance. It begins with D."
This little work make me smile for more reasons than I have time to list. Thank you Miss Valente, I really needed this in my life.

• The Case of the Deepdean Vampire (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #4.5)
  • Positively Pooh: Timeless Wisdom from Pooh
  • Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 100 (Clarkesworld Magazine, #100)
  • The Wild Ones (The Wild Ones #1)
  • The Girl with the Dragon Heart (Tales from the Chocolate Heart, #2)
  • Apex Magazine Issue 80
  • Jackalope Wives and Other Stories
  • Apex Magazine Issue 56 (January 2014)
  • Fiona's Luck
  • The Library of Lost Things
  • The Frog in the Tree
  • Beautiful
  • Erika-San
  • My Heart Is Laughing
  • Triquetra
  • Two Hearts (The Last Unicorn, #1.5)
  • Bone Swans
  • Book of Iron
Catherynne M. Valente was born on Cinco de Mayo, 1979 in Seattle, WA, but grew up in in the wheatgrass paradise of Northern California. She graduated from high school at age 15, going on to UC San Diego and Edinburgh University, receiving her B.A. in Classics with an emphasis in Ancient Greek Linguistics. She then drifted away from her M.A. program and into a long residence in the concrete and cam ...more

Fairyland (5 books)
  • The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Fairyland, #1)
  • The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (Fairyland, #2)
  • The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two (Fairyland, #3)
  • The Boy Who Lost Fairyland (Fairyland, #4)
  • The Girl Who Raced Fairyland All the Way Home (Fairyland, #5)
“They were all very young, really, too young for all they had seen, but too old not to have seen it.” 0 likes
“Perhaps, if you take a long enough view, we are all stronger than our goblins.” 0 likes