Start by marking “Romeo And Juliet” as Want to Read:
Romeo And Juliet

Romeo And Juliet

Exclusively written for Audible, only available in audio

"I think Romeo and Juliet is the greatest, most tragic love story ever told. What David Hewson did with this script is so exciting to me. I really love the fact that he followed avenues that Shakespeare suggested but didn't necessarily detail in depth. If you want to immerse yourself in a warm bath of Garganega and th
Audible Audio, 296 pages
Published December 6th 2016 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about Romeo And Juliet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Romeo And Juliet

Start your review of Romeo And Juliet
Andrea
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Ok, let's make one thing very clear. I knew I was probably going to hate this going in, because I don't like Romeo and Juliet. There. I said it.

There is one reason I listened to this, and one reason only:

That is it. I could listen to that man read his grocery list and I would still gladly pay money for that. Anyone who can make a Dickens book come to life the way he did with David Copperfield has my undying respect. And, let's not forget, the man has such a beautiful voice...

But I digress.

So
Chrissie
I dumped the audiobook after listening to half.

I like neither the book’s content, i.e. how Shakespeare’s tragedy Romeo and Juliet is retold, nor the aidiobook performance. Both I have given one star.

Romeo And Juliet exists only as an audiobook. What is delivered is a verbal dramatization, a performance. You must like dramatizations to like this audiobook. Richard Armitage, the audiobook’s narrator, dramatizes in spades! What else can you expect from an actor?! I do not like dramatizations. Secon
Cathy
In Juliet & Romeo, the feud between the Montagues and Capulets is of longstanding and born out of a friendship betrayed (‘Time had dealt its blows, yet the enmity between them had never wavered’) and a trade war over pre-eminence in the wine trade.  The uneasy relations between the two families simmer in the heat of a Verona summer, threatening to boil over at any minute.  It even extends to each family’s servants, ‘sharing the same borrowed hatred and never asking why’.

The author brings the rea
Clara (The Bookworm of Notre-Dame)

As a huge fan of the play I did enjoy this book and loved some stuff that the author added to the story, though there were some stuff I didn't like either. Overall I had fun reading it!
booksofallkinds
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We all know the tale of Romeo and his fair Juliet, young lovers destined for tragedy and heartbreak - it's enough to bring a tear to your eye just thinking about it. So when I got the opportunity to review JULIET & ROMEO by David Hewson which is a retelling of the classic tale written in everyday English and with some surprises and changes along the way, I jumped at the chance!

Set in 1499 the beauty, harsh reality, and that special something of Verona comes alive on the page in front of you. Six
Netta
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017, audiobooks
The retelling of Shakespeare's famous story by the end looks more like reimagining with a rather unexpected plot twist. Unlike of pretty average author's performance, the narrator's performance is superb. ...more
Katherine
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
I enjoyed the changes DH made from the original Romeo and Juliet. Especially the character of Juliet, being much stronger. The ending was a fun twist and almost needs a sequel. As always Richard Armitage does an awesome job as narrator.
Wendy
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, audiobook
I enjoyed it, but it kind of dragged in some spots. The ending was a bit strange, but I think I liked it? I'm not sure. It's a little different from the play.

Still love Richard Armitage narrating. That got me through the draggy parts.
Kate Hawkins
Let me be clear, I really really dislike Romeo and Juliet. When I was in school I had to read the play three times for some reason and my dislike of it only grew each time. I don't dislike Shakespeare however, I think that Macbeth, Hamlet, Much Ado About Nothing, and Henry VIII are all fantastic pieces of literature. For some reason it isn't any of his vastly superior works that keep his name relevant to today, it's Romeo and Juliet, probably his worst play, that gets the spotlight.

I've always f
Eva
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve never actually read Romeo and Juliet. I’ve tried but Shakespeare tends to go right over my head. I am of course familiar with their story, as I’m sure most of you are as well. Two rivalling families in the city of Verona, Italy. The son of the one family falls in love with the daughter of the other. Chaos ensues. Everybody dies. Something like that anyway. 😉

Admittedly, I was a little unsure about picking this one up. Proof of how shallow I am, lies in me confessing to you that I pretty much
Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎
This novel follows more or less the sequence of the original play, filling blanks here and there, for example invents a reason for the feud between the two houses, generates backstories for the minor characters (e.g. Friar Laurence) and introduces new characters and scenes (e.g. Romeo in Verona). The references to events and historical characters of the period (the novel is set in 1499) are accurate, the author obviously has done his research well. This gives the book an authentic flavour even t ...more
Cindy Rollins
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
So far I have read all of David Hewson's retellings of Shakespeare. The first two, Hamlet and Macbeth, he did with AJ Hartley and I gave them both 4 stars. This one is purely an audio book. You cannot buy a hardcopy. The narrator, Richard Armitage is, as always, superb; the story less so.

What is an anachronism? Perhaps there is a certain time-travel joy in thinking what if Jane Austen was a modern girl? Or what if a modern girl got plopped down in Verona in the 15th century. This story is exact
Selah
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I loved the setting, historical details, and *some* of the backstories. I hated what Hewson did to Count Paris, rolled my eyes at Juliet's anachronistic feminism (I mean, feminism is cool, but anachronisms are not), and groaned at the end! The ending was SO wrong! ...more
Ilaria Tomasini
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
So I just finished listening to this audiobook written by David Hewson and performed by Richard Armitage. I confess I am a fan of Richard Armitage and I didn’t know David Hewson as a writer before, but I’m deeply impressed by both his writing and Armitage performance.
I’m Italian and I live near Verona, so the story of Romeo and Juliet is set in places I know very well, but I never liked that tragedy so much.
At first, I was interested in the audiobook mainly because of Richard Armitage, but, aft
Kate
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first audiobook I have ever listened to that was written specifically for audio (there is no printed copy) and I have to admit, I was just a teensy bit skeptical. My skepticism quickly vanished when I started listening. Hewson breathes new life into this classic tale of tragic love with a beautifully written narrative that is perfectly suited to Armitage’s particular vocal talents. I especially like how Hewson reimagines Juliet as a forward-thinking woman pushing back against the pat ...more
Pamela
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the weakest of the series of novelizations of Shakespeare's plays. As with the others, there have been some changes to WS's version, but unlike the others, the changes in this are major. And by major, I mean MAJOR! Think of something major that could be changed...something REALLY major...yeah! That's it!

The author justifies this by saying he is going back to the source material upon which WS based his play. I call "FOUL!" The title of this work is "Romeo and Juliet." The series of which
Ce
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Narration was superb, as it's a trend with Richard Armitage. The style and character development is well done, though the ending left me thinking... wasn't this Juliet stronger, "independent"?. The ending different from what we are used to, was a bit disappointing. I thought sailing across the sea would be an option. Author has also too many preconceived ideas about Catholicism, but I guess that's typical among those who do not know much.
Mardi
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, eaudio
Spoiler Alert! Hewson's Juliet is not Shakespeare's Juliet. And that's a good thing. But, it's still R&J and I've never really loved this story. Shakespeare's lovers are whiny, overly dramatic kids. Hewson's are a bit more mature. But, still, ugh. I confess, I only listened to this because Richard Armitage was the reader. That man's gifted. Don't even get me started... ...more
Ashley Arthur
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
To be clear, the 2 star rating is nothing to do with Richard Armitage’s narration. I would listen to that man read an encyclopedia aloud with no complaints.

The two star rating is due to the story itself. Unnecessary changes to the plot and additions of backstories for characters that served no purpose ruined this adaptation for me.
Rachel Bridgeman
As a slight confession, my entire knowledge of the story of the Montagues versus the Capulets has been informed by social concepts-i.e the 'it is' against 'it is not' a love story. I have seen none of the films based on it, have not studied the play at school nor have I seen it performed. I was coming at this from a completely fresh angle and it was bloody terrifying. Not only is this one of the best known and loved of Shakespeare's tragedies, it is one I know the least about and David Hewson ha ...more
Linda Hill
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve always been wary of reading modern adaptations of Shakespeare and approached Juliet and Romeo with some trepidation.

However, I found David Hewson’s version of this classic tale totally interesting and engaging. I felt considerable research had gone into creating an historically and geographically convincing story whilst adding in greater depth and detail of the times so that there is a pleasing and entertaining story that didn’t need any knowledge of Shakespeare and yet managed to retain a
David Hudson
I loved reading this book, couldn't, in fact, put it down despite knowing Shakespeare's play through and through.
It's partially due to the backstories of the characters in question - it gave them depth and it gave reasons as to why they act the way they do, something that is not tangible in Shakespeare.

Despite this, I have many problems with this rendition. It was clear from the start that there was going to be some anachronistic feminism, some difference in Juliet.

Which would explain the endi
Hayley
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little curious as to how the modern feel of the book would translate from such a classic, but actually the language felt incredibly natural and as such was really easy to get into.

Hewson sets the scene by depicting the long standing feud between the Capulet's and Montague's as the heads of each house ove
Sammy
Jul 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
When I discovered Shakespeare as a teenager (oddly, we never studied him in school, nor Dickens. I came to them both of my own accord, and as a result I love them both. Don't get me started on my intense dislike of The Inheritors however...), I naturally gravitated towards Romeo and Juliet. Not only is it one of the more accessible of Shakespeare's plays in terms of language, but the story is perfection for an angsty hormone-ridden teenage girl... My copy of the play eventually fell apart becaus ...more
Kristina Sanchez
I can't stand it when people say Romeo and Juliet is the best romance ever. Uh, no. They were both idiotic teenagers. Romeo only married her because he wanted the goods. What a horndog. And then they got all dramatic about it.

Well, Hewson managed to get me invested in Romeo and Juliet. For one thing, his Juliet is stellar. The author points out in the author's notes at the end that Juliet was always the more rational one, telling Romeo not to swear by the moon because the moon is so inconstant.
Emily
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-shelf
Janice
I have never read the original tale of Romeo and Juliet. When I saw a retelling of the tale on audiobook, it seemed like a good way to familiarize myself with the story. From what I can understand, the retelling was fairly consistent with the original except for the ending.

Overall, I thought the story was a bit silly.
Ronja
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like the way Hewsson elaborates on the age-old story of Romeo and Juliet, making it more accessible to people who might be worried about tackling Shakespeare himself. Well worth reading and the audible version with Richard Armitage performing it is very good.
Mel
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great Shakespeare novelization. I think Hamlet remains my favorite, but I really appreciated Juliet's more intelligent and deeper characterization, and I LOVED the alternate ending. Richard Armitage as ever is excellent. ...more
Becky
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, romance
Some of this retelling worked for me, bringing the classic characters to life in a whole new way. Then that ending happened and I was done.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Hamlet, Prince of Denmark
  • Macbeth: A Novel
  • Telling Her To Take It (11 Hardcore Books MF, MMF, MMMF)
  • Nathan Coulter
  • Wife Ganged Erotica
  • The Anthologist (The Paul Chowder Chronicles #1)
  • An Eye for an Eye
  • Youth
  • A Sicilian Romance
  • The Touchstone
  • Seneca: de Clementia
  • On Leisure
  • On Anger
  • The Encyclopaedia Logic: The Encyclopaedia of Philosophical Sciences 1 with the Zusätze
  • Scenes of Clerical Life
  • Brother Jacob
  • A Few Words on Non-Intervention (Illustrated)
  • How I Went Out to Service
See top shelves…
DAVID HEWSON was born in Yorkshire in 1953. His books range from the Nic Costa series set in Italy to adaptations of The Killing in Copenhagen and the Pieter Vos series in Amsterdam.
He's adapted Shakespeare for Audible and in 2018 won the Audie for best original work for Romeo and Juliet: A Novel, narrated by Richard Armitage.
2019 sees the release of a new, full-cast Audible drama set in New York