Start by marking “Into the Water” as Want to Read:
Into the Water

Into the Water

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  140,015 Ratings  ·  15,066 Reviews
In the last days before her death, Nel called her sister. Jules didn’t pick up the phone, ignoring her plea for help. Now Nel is dead. They say she jumped. And Jules has been dragged back to the one place she hoped she had escaped for good, to care for the teenage girl her sister left behind. But Jules is afraid. So afraid. Of her long-buried memories, of the old Mill Hous ...more
Published May 2nd 2017 by Riverhead Books

To ask other readers questions about Into the Water, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
K17a17s
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Emily May
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm going straight down the middle with a 3-star rating but, in truth, my thoughts are all over with this book. I think the only way I can make sense of it is to break it down into points.

1) This book is very different from The Girl on the Train.
That ad that keeps flashing up saying "If you liked The Girl on the Train, you'll love Into the Water" is bullshit. Into the Water doesn't focus in-depth on any character, but rather moves between the perspectives of many members of a British town. While
karen
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
congratulations, 2017 goodreads choice winner in best mystery & thriller!!

oooh, goodreads choice awards semifinalist for best mystery! what will happen?

review posted at los angeles review of books!! here:

reviewing this for L.A. review of books - and they sent me a finished book instead of an ARC! these britches! i have become too big for them!
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
*3.5 stars* (rounded down after more consideration)

It’s almost inevitable that this book will be compared to The Girl on the Train, which is a pretty flattering testament to the magnitude of a book’s success.

Into the Water, however, stands on its own and easily separates itself from its notable predecessor. This story is unique and its large cast of characters are bold and distinguishable. The only commonalities I found are ones I went into this book anticipating: phenomenal writing and a wide
Liz
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is not an easy book to get into. Lots of diverse characters and you are left trying to suss out who’s who and what is happening and why so many people don't seem to like Nel and are glad she's dead. But the book does grab you. You only see glimpses, back and forth, but they are fascinating, shimmering glimpses, like trying to determine what's underneath the water. Hawkins excels at keeping the reader off balance. There are twists throughout.

I liked the premise. Nel is the latest death in t
Linda
May 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: terrible-twos
When I first started reading this "much-awaited" second novel by Paula Hawkins, I was so impressed by her ability to create such an eerie, chilling description of what I had hoped was a taste of what was to come--reminiscent of old, black-and-white, British movies. I remember wondering at the time she was writing, if she might have been imagining this book becoming another movie. That's how it began to feel--too much attention was given to the details of the surroundings.

The author gives a quick
Maureen
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
* Thank you to www.shotsmag.co.uk for my ARC for which I have given an honest review*

Nel Abbot was found dead in the river, just a few short months after the death of her daughter's best friend Katie in similar circumstances. Nel had lived in Mill House by the river her entire life, and most of her memories pretty much revolved around this dark and forbidding body of water, particularly 'The Drowning Pool'. It's a place of secrets, mysteries and witchcraft. Nel was completely obsessed with stori
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Ummmmmm........

I wouldn't recommend listening to a book for the first time on audio with 6,695 POV's!

I may read the physical book and see if I like it. I just can't like this book at this time. It switched so many times between dates and people that I wanted to throw the book! Well, audio on the tablet across the room!

I would never have gotten the audio if the summary would have said there are 1500 people in the book! Sigh!

The group of narrators were good though.

Now that I think about it, I
Mohammed Arabey
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it

لصوت جريان مياة النهر سحر
مريح..أو مثير للقلق
قد يجذبك لأعماقه للراحة من ماض قاس، أو يدفعك أحدهم للتخلص من اضطرابه الخاص

ومؤلفة 'فتاة القطار' تعود بقصة اكثر نضجا، بعشر شخصيات مختلفة
في قصة عن النهر، الماضي، الذكريات..واضطهاد المرأة

A Small Town by the River, 10 Characters' Perspectives; of One recent 'Into The Water' Death; that rippled a River of other Past tragic Memories.

** The Story ** القصة **
"النهر يمكنه أن يرجع للماضي ويجلبه كله ويبصقه علي حوافه ليراه الجميع..ولكن البشر لا يمكنهم"
"The River ca
Elyse
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twisted, suspenseful, spooky & eerie--mysterious to the very end--( wasn't even expecting I like this book much- so nice surprise) I found the book free in "The Little Library"...box-give-a-way-exchange in front of a neighbors house.....

....gorgeous descriptions and visuals created of scenery --an enthralling textured large cast of characters, ( lots of thinking about these people), and an ending that stopped me cold.

Taunting exquisite prose. I might have liked this more than "The Girl On T
Abby (Crime by the Book)
Find my full review here: http://crimebythebook.com/blog/2017/4...

This book was, unfortunately, a disappointment to me. Convoluted plotting, WAY too many characters to keep track of, and an overall lack of suspense made for a less than engaging read. I'm sure many readers will enjoy this one, but if you're looking for a psychological thriller with the addictive pacing & shocking plot twists of THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN, I wouldn't recommend this one.
Wendy Darling

The good news: THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN was not a fluke.

The not-so-great news: this book's plot and characters are less compelling, and its flaws much more obvious.

Review to come of the audio edition.
Book of Secrets
May 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
I lost patience with INTO THE WATER early on. By page 32, I counted seven different POVs. Confusing! A few more POVs were added after that. Basically the story was about a place called "The Drowning Pool" where several women died, beginning in the 1600s. The latest death is a woman who was writing a book about this seemingly cursed place. Sounded promising, but turned out to be dull. Needed more suspense! I was looking forward to this book, but in the end it was just meh.
Julie
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Into the Water by Paula Hawkins is a 2017 Riverhead Books publication.

‘No one wanted to think about the fact that the water in that river was infected with the blood and bile of persecuted women, unhappy women; they drank in every day.’

The river has a history of claiming women, but no one would have thought they'd fish Nel Abbott out of its depths. When Nel's body is recovered, her estranged sister, Jules, returns home to identify her sister's remains, and to take care of her niece, Lena.

As Ju
James
Into the Water by Paula Hawkins was the book selected by my blog followers as my Book Bucket read for January 2018. Each month, I hold a poll where you can pick from 12 books I want to read, rotating a new one in and out each month. I was excited to read this one, but hadn’t read Girl on the Train before, so Hawkins is a new author for me. I enjoyed the book a great deal, despite a few areas that didn’t quite work for me, but I’d still recommend it to others as a strong thriller and suspense nov ...more
Rachel Reads Ravenously
Jul 05, 2017 rated it did not like it

First things first, I want to point out how very rare it is for me to rate a book 1 star. In fact, in the last 5 years, I have read a total of 1,257 books, and only rated 20 of them with a 1 star. That's 0.015%. So before all of you jump on me, or the trolls come running, know that I just hated this book that much.

I will give this book 1 thing, and 1 thing only: Paula Hawkins is an amazing writer. Her words flow across the page, and it's why I continued to read this book. The writing basically d
Maxwell
Apr 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own-it, 2017
I enjoyed this one more than The Girl on the Train, but I still think it had its faults. The writing was definitely above that in TGotT, and I appreciated the variety of characters and voices in this one. Even 80% of the way through the novel I wasn't totally sure where it was going—part of me liked that and part of me didn't. I didn't mind not having clear answers up until the end, but I also didn't feel like there was much drive or mystery to propel the story along. It's definitely not as thr ...more
Linda
Clickety clack.....

The conductor is taking tickets on an already crowded train with an over-abundance of character passenger cars. This train is headed into a very dark tunnel.

The Drowning Pool is known to its surrounding inhabitants as a draw for women who seem to end their lives quite badly. It has a tainted history that reaches far back into the 17th century with the drowning deaths of young females accused of being witches. Even as of late, there have been three questionable deaths involving
Annabel Dunstone Gray
May 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really liked Girl on the Train, so maybe I was expecting too much.

SO MANY characters (and way too many POVs) and kind of a tangled plot. By the end I didn't care much about who had done what.
Kendall
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This novel was one of my highly anticipated reads for 2017. I had it preordered since January on my kindle (hence how ecstatic I was).

Going into this I knew I loved her first best selling debut and tried my absolute hardest not to compare to her first. But, we tend to all do that a little bit unfortunately.

This one was a little difficult for me to get into and I was pretty confused at the start of the novel. So many characters and my head was spinning trying to connect with the storyline. It fi
Megan Johnson
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really just wasn't into this book. I was lost most of the time and not able to keep up! There were too many characters in the book to keep track of. Just not a book for me :(
Margitte
Paula Hawkins, a freelance journalist from London, firmly proved herself as a versatile writer by publishing romantic comedies under her pen name Amy Silver, as well as huge successful thrillers under her own name. Girl On The Train was a phenomenal bestseller, which she followed up with this second thriller Into The Water.

This book reminds me a lot about The Casual Vacancy by J.K.Rowling(a magnificent read in itself). Both books have the community of a small town in common, who address the impa
Miriam Smith
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: twitter
"Into The Water" is the second book written by global bestselling author Paula Hawkins. Considering I didn't connect with "The Girl On a Train" at all, I therefore didn't know what to expect from "Into The Water". However, I was very pleasantly surprised at just how much I truly enjoyed this entertaining book - its completely different in every aspect and although slow burning it still races along and keeps you constantly entertained.
Blurb - 'In the last days before her death, Nel Abbott called
Liz Barnsley
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was one of the fans of Girl on a Train but this is something else. Beautiful writing, totally immersive narrative, multiple viewpoints and clever little twists, its like Paula Hawkins had a bit of a practice with that girl on that train and then went YEP I can do this better so gives us Into The Water.

Full review nearer publication.
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
3 stars. This novel was averagely enjoyable for me – not especially good, but not bad either.

I should start by saying that I was one of the readers who liked “The Girl On The Train” but didn’t think it was overly impressive. Perhaps I am simply not the target audience for Paula Hawkins writing.

The first half of this novel had me intrigued but then my interest slowly fizzled out. I stopped caring for any of the characters or where the storyline was headed. The suspense that Hawkins was building s
Brenda
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a tangled mess. The story is told by numerous characters from their own perspectives. It bounces back and forth in time. It also includes some pages written by one of the deceased. Sometimes this writing method overly confuses things, and this time is one of them. I had lots of trouble keeping the characters straight. I had to stop at one point, go back to the beginning and make notes of character names and relationships. There were also a few times I had to go back to review certain de ...more
Carmen
Jul 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No One
DNF.

I won't say much, but I have a few thoughts. Paula Hawkins isn't a bad writer. Look at this part:

I lay on my bed in silence. I can't even listen to music because I feel everything has this other meaning that I didn't see before and it hurts too fucking much to face it now. I don't want to cry all the time, it makes my chest hurt and my throat hurt, and the worst thing is that no one comes to help me. There's no one left to help me.

She flares towards the wildly dramatic, I mean that her writi
May 20, 2017 marked it as dnf-lost-interest
DNF @ 35%
The writing style and mass amount of POV's is annoying me to no end.
Stacey
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
My first GR giveaway win! And a winner it was. I was highly anticipating this novel, as were a lot of us, I suspect, after Girl on the Train . I went into this with no expectations and was warned about the lengthy cast of characters. I was careful at the beginning to keep them in order and that helped with my enjoyment of this novel.

I won't recap because there are fantastic reviews out there from one to five stars. The folklore about the river at the beginning set the stage to its power and myst

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Paula Hawkins's work falls rather easily into a category that I - yes, patronizingly - call a "best-seller book." These types of books are too "high brow" to be considered a pulpy potboiler (which I love) but too "low brow" to be considered true literary fiction (which I also love). Book clubs love them, which is pretty much the only reason I ever end up reading these types of books. As far as I can tell, "best-seller books" are basically t
Simon
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When Jules sister is found dead in their home town in the place known locally as The Drowning Pool, she is both horrified and yet unsurprised as Nel was always obsessed with it and the tales of witches and suicides around it. However when things start to look like Nel was pushed not only are their families secrets and fractured relationships but those of the whole town. Brilliant. If it looks like it took ages to read I had an operation in the middle. Ha.
Crime, Mysteries ...: * ➽Into the Water by Paula Hawkins (no spoilers) 7 26 Jul 12, 2018 12:49PM
Crime, Mysteries ...: * ➽Into The Water by Paula Hawkins (spoilers) 2 17 Jun 27, 2018 09:36AM
Drunk on Books: June 2018 1 4 Jun 25, 2018 04:53AM
Knjigom u glavu: Knjiga mjeseca- U vodu 3 50 Jun 17, 2018 03:20AM
The ending... help me cope! 1 37 Jun 10, 2018 03:17PM
Three Pretty Bean...: June Book Selection 1 3 Jun 07, 2018 12:29PM
Paula Hawkins is the author of the #1 New York Times bestseller The Girl on the Train, which was made into a major motion picture. Her new novel of psychological suspense, Into The Water, is coming May 2.
More about Paula Hawkins

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Mr. Paradise
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
  • Mystic River
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Hard Goodbye (Frank Miller's Sin City, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not a Serial Killer (John Cleaver, #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • The Dinner
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike, #3)
  • The Secret in Their Eyes
  • Snow Falling on Cedars
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Absolute Power
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Instinct (previously published as Murder Games)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #17)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • American by Day
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
“Beware a calm surface—you never know what lies beneath.” 64 likes
“Yes, it is. It’s, like, when someone has an affair, why does the wife always hate the other woman? Why doesn’t she hate her husband? He’s the one who’s betrayed her, he’s the one who swore to love her and keep her and whatever forever and ever. Why isn’t he the one who gets shoved off a fucking cliff?” 21 likes