Start by marking “Ghost Girl in the Corner (Shadowshaper, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Ghost Girl in the Corner (Shadowshaper, #1.5)

Ghost Girl in the Corner

(Shadowshaper #1.5)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  354 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
H E L P

Trying to shake off the strange malaise that separates her from even her girlfriend Izzy, Tee decides to take over the Bed-Stuy Searchlight for the summer. But then she finds an alluring violet dress in the newspaper office, and a cute ghost girl no one else can see. Who is she? What does she want? And why is she revealing herself to Tee?

H E R

Izzy can tell Tee's dr
Published November 29th 2016 by Arthur A. Levine Books

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Girl in the Corner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Girl in the Corner

Lindsay
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
DON'T MIND ME. I'M JUST GOING TO THROW MYSELF AROUND FOR THE NEXT 24 HOURS, UNABLE TO FUNCTION PROPERLY AFTER READING THING.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Fantastic pacing, best characters, bad baddies, 'shaping, Easter eggs for all us creepily obsessive dedicated DJO fans, perfect length, teaser-rific. I just. Gah. Yes.

Soooo...can you keep cranking out multiple stories a year, Older, please and thank you?

Novellas are the best, y'all.

This was totally worth stayi
Chessa
This was a SUPER satisfying return to the Shadowshaper world! I loved that this novella let us spend more time with Tee and Izzy and get to know them both a bit more. I really appreciated that Tee and Izzy's relationship was complicated and multidimensional and still hopeful. There is a mystery of a missing local girl to solve, a ghost girl to find out more about, and we get to check in at least a little bit with Sierra and the others from Shadowshaper. I loved the critique written in of the clu ...more
Chinook
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was fantastic - I’m loving this series so much. I like how easily you get dropped
Into this neighbourhood and amongst these friends and their lives. And the shadowshaping magic is fun. And though normally writing about music and songs doesn’t much work for me and there’s a lot of it in here, it’s done really well. I like the way the story mixes the fantasy with real issues, like the police not bothering to search for missing black girls and gentrification.
Janani
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was such a delightful treat for those of us having a serious craving for the world of Shadowshaper. Shadowhouse Fall can't come soon enough.
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Full review to come on Books and Ladders!
Clare Fitzgerald
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So not a lot of great stuff has been happening since the election, but a brief moment of relief arrived yesterday in the form of a brand-new shiny Shadowshaper novella from Daniel José Older, which only cost $0.99 on Kindle. I promptly cancelled my evening plans to bug out about stuff on Twitter and bought Ghost Girl in the Corner. I then had a lovely evening with Tee and Iz and three glasses of boxed wine and it was the best I’ve felt in three weeks.

Anyway, as for the novella itself: Most of
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Bought this on Sunday to read at jury duty yesterday. I love when an author writes a side story about characters from a novel. This is a spinoff of Shadowshaper, and there are a couple of parts that lean on the novel, but not heavily. It's full of Older's musical use of language, and I appreciate both the non end-of-the-world story and the fact that it's a YA novella with two queer protagonists in a positive relationship - neither tragic nor a coming out story. Good stuff.
Martha
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an easy review to write: Daniel José Older is a genius and will forever continue to be one. His books are full of real people with real lives and real problems (as well as some supernatural ones) and real voices, and they're black and brown and straight and not straight and butch and femme and everything in between, and it's fucking glorious.

Also: REZA.
Mckinlay
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this. It has been quite a while since i read Shadowshaper and this made me realize I clearly need to reread it before starting Shadowhouse Fall. But I really loved both girls, and their relationship in the novella. And there was definitely enough intrigue and action to keep me reading. Highly recommend this series.
Cat
Tee and Izzy were my favourite characters in Shadowshaper, so I was really happy when Older released this surprise novella all about them.

It contains:
* More of Tee and Izzy being the adorable badasses that made everyone love them in Shadowshaper
* Star Wars references. Soooo many Star Wars references
* Sierra being an awesome friend
* Beautiful character descriptions that truly conjure up images in the reader's mind
* Both subtle and not-so-subtle commentary on race, homophobia, etc
* An exciting m
ItsNasB
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perfect. Makes you want more from the characters in this novella. Shows that this world that Older's built is fully formed and so wonderful. It will give you feels so have your tissues or snacks or emotional care partner (what's the proper term?) ready.
Wench
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jesus fucking christ that was creepy amd scary.
Karin
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well this was fun! I do wish it was longer.... there are storylines I would have enjoyed more of. A fun addition to the Shadowshaper universe. I always enjoy reading Daniel José Older.
Carly O'Connell
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this all in one sitting. It's that good (and short). It had been a while since I had read Shadowshaper so probably should have refreshed myself on the characters and past events a bit, but it all still made sense with just my hazy memory for context.
This story centers two secondary characters from Shadowshaper: Izzy and Tee. The two girls struggle with with their romantic relationship and newfound ghost powers. Tee takes over the printing press that found itself missing an owner after th
Vanessa Ricci-Thode
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
HEEEEEEEEE! OMG Reza cameo for the win! Like everything Older writes, I loved this to pieces.
Ka’leneReads
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
GreatRead......such a great in-between
Brendon

See the original review on Reading and Gaming for Justice: https://gamingforjustice.com/2017/04/...

Ghost Girl in the Corner is a novella set between the first novel in the series and the next one to be released, Shadowhouse Fall. The main series has focused mainly on Sierra and her family, but in this novella, we get to follow Tee and Izzy through a mystery of a missing person from the neighborhood. As I was looking for something to tie me over until Shadowhouse Fall releases, this was the perfe
Micah
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So this is the best short story of 2016 as well as the best short story I've read in years. It manages to avoid all the short story stuff I don't like. The story seems highly appropriate right now. It's about the power of community and the failure of society to even attempt to protect its vulnerable members. But it's also a story with a hopeful ending. It manages to avoid the 'humans are the real terror' thing that feels so cheap by focusing on a story so many of us understand. There's a dead bl ...more
Natalie
YASSSSS this novella packed a punch! Was so glad to get into Tee and Izzy's heads. And seeing the rest of peeps from Sierra's crew.

And man DJO can spin a tale cuz from the minute Tee spotted ghost girl I wanted/needed to know what her story was. And bit by bit it unfolds. All the while intertwined with seeing what's going on with Tee and Izzy's relationship.

Not only that we get the story of two missing girls. One for whom it's too late, but for the other there's still hope (maybe?, no spoilers
Sunny
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this novella from Daniel José Older. It picks up after the events of Shadowshaper and focuses on Tee and Izzy - two of the cutest queer girls of color you'll meet in a book - as they unravel the mystery of the ghost girl in the Searchlight office. The dialogue and plotting are excellent. I appreciated how Older took a real life dynamic, media obsessions over disappearances of white girls but neither media nor police lift a finger for missing girls of color, and spun out a suspen ...more
Andrew
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you're not reading Daniel's writing, you're missing out in so many ways. I am always overjoyed to dive (back) into the worlds he creates. I can't recommend his writing enough and this novella is no exception (but read Shadowshaper first).
Chris
An interesting diversion into this world with a lot of interesting things to say. I hadn't checked out the Shadowshapers series yet but definitely want to after this volume.
Elyzabeth Gorman
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such an awesome book I stayed up all night reading it!
Jessie Quinn (cupofbooks)
Ugh, this novella is so good.

Ghost Girl in the Corner is about two missing girls. One who was found dead years ago and whose ghost now haunts the basement of a local church; the other who went missing only days ago and who may still be alive. It's up to Tee and Izzy, along with some help from Uncle Neville, to discover who is kidnapping these girls.

It's emotionally-raw story, exploring how the cases of black and brown girls who go missing often get dismissed by society. In his interview with hi
Eric
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent effort from DJO. Like Shadowshaper before it, this novella is richly multilayered. It would be easy for a story with so many layers of conflict represented to become shallow, or muddied. Older juggles them with aplomb.

Tee has been feeling disconnected and uncertain of her place in the world since the end of Shadowshaper. It hasn't gone unnoticed, and the first obvious story is about the damage it's causing to her relationships, particularly with her girlfriend Izzy.

The blatant
Ellis
I had no idea about the direction this novella would take, but I shouldn’t be surprised, because at its core this series has always been about addressing real-life injustices through magic-filled worlds, in this case missing black and brown girls and how no one except for their families, friends, and communities really cares about their disappearance. I’m really glad this was in dual POV, so you could see both Tee’s and Izzy’s thoughts, and I love that their story came full circle from a situati ...more
Shelley M.
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a quick little Shadowshaper story, and I liked it pretty well. I was glad to get to know some of the other characters better. I didn’t realize while reading Shadowshaper how freaking many characters there were, maybe because there was more story for them to hang out in. This one just seemed like so many people crammed into a short little story. And Benny and Robbie weren’t even there for most of it! I liked all the Izzy and Neville buddy scenes, and learning more about Tee and Izzy and ...more
Steph
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
More is left unanswered rather than answered. Father Thomas kidnaps Lani, but for what purposes? Skinheads show up to challenge Uncle Neville and the girls for Lani's body, but what was their purpose? Is Bed-Stuy a hunting ground for skinheads? Why is Father Thomas working with or for skinheads?

Tee supposedly wants to run a local newspaper, but she spends more time futzing around than writing.

Tee supposedly wants to learn to better channel spirits, but doesn't practice.

Novella doesn't seem to
Mo
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea this was coming out, but if a Shadowshaper novella starring Izzy and Tee is the universe's consolation prize for the shitstorm that's about to be released on the world, I'll take it. Also, can we just take a moment to appreciate a young dyke rapping these words:

"I treat this / Like Imma beat this.
You just hors d’oeuvres / I’m the main meat, sis.
I’m seamless / you teamless / you change shapes when you excited / like a penis.
Imma complete this / you can’t delete this,
I got a whole
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #37 Ghost Girl in the Corner by Daniel José Older 1 1 Jul 23, 2017 12:59PM
Daniel José Older is the New York Times bestselling author of the Young Adult series the Shadowshaper Cypher (Scholastic), the Bone Street Rumba urban fantasy series (Penguin), and the upcoming Middle Grade sci-fi adventure Flood City (Scholastic). He won the International Latino Book Award and has been nominated for the Kirkus Prize, the Mythopoeic Award, the Locus Award, the Andre Norton Award, ...more

Shadowshaper (3 books)
  • Shadowshaper (Shadowshaper, #1)
  • Shadowhouse Fall (Shadowshaper, #2)
  • Untitled (Shadowshaper, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
“Alright, beats,” Tee said. “Mina — you want crime?” “Actually …” She squirmed in her chair and tugged at the scarf she had wrapped around her slender neck. “I was thinking — a lotta Staten Island folks, including my batshit grandma, were Brooklyn folks once upon a time. Then Great White Flight happened and they dipped, ended up on one of the islands — Staten or Long — and took their money and resources with ’em. Now they sitting there feelin’ bitter about the fact that Brooklyn ain’t theirs anymore and whining about how the bad black and brown folks took it over. Meanwhile, their young, hip counterparts are mounting an actual takeover and pricing out black and brown folks, ya know?” “Our girl just summarized thirty years of urban history in a half a ’graph,” Coruscant marveled.” 0 likes
“Tee shook her head. “You know how like … but then sometimes … and you’re just … ya know? Without any kinda … whatsoever.” Sierra nodded sagely. “Precisely.” The” 0 likes