Start by marking “Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy” as Want to Read:
Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy

Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy

(Ladybug Girl)

At the playground, Lulu asks her friend Sam if he wants to play with her. Sam likes Diggers, while Lulu thinks Monkeys is the best game. Sam suggests playing under the castle, but Lulu knows that the top is the most fun. They just can't agree! And then Lulu asks, "Have you ever played Ladybug Girl?"

As Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy, Lulu and Sam save the playground from h
Published March 5th 2009 by Dial Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy

Ramsey Hootman
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book, and so does my son! This is an all-around great book. But in addition to that...

I make a conscious decision to choose books that feature female protagonists without promoting sexist female stereotypes. (I dunno if that sounds weird, but I don't want my son growing up thinking women or "girl" things are lesser or bad or dumb. I also don't want him thinking that girls can only be princesses and dress up.) This book perfectly fits the bill. Ladybug Girl is obviously a GIRL, but sh
Mary Ann
Mar 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
fun follow-up to Ladybug Girl. great celebration of kids fantasy and imagination. I loved how this showed Ladybug Girl making a friend in the playground, and negotiating with another kid so their fantasy/adventure play could work together. Reminded me of watching my kids play in the playground - how 4 and 5 year olds really are learning to play together, but still have to negotiate making their self-centered fantasy worlds really mesh. Also nice to feature a girl and a boy playing together in fa ...more
Marni
Apr 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
We hadn't even heard of the first book when we read this, but as soon as we were done I wanted to get my hands on the first.

Lulu goes to the park dressed as Ladybug Girl, looks around for a friend to play with, and notices a boy from her class. They want to play together, but can't decide just what to do. A great story about friendship and compromise. The authors do a beautiful job of portraying the children's wonderful imaginative personalities, saving the playground from the scary monster, the
Heather
Nov 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Otto loved this sweet story of a girl and her friend at the playground. They get into an argument about what to play, and almost give up to play alone -- until Ladybug Girl saves the day.

Otto was really into this story. When Ladybug Girl decides she should walk away instead of try to play with her friend, Otto said "yeah!" And then he was thrilled when they figured out something they could play together.

Obviously resonates with imaginative preschoolers. Good for any child learning to play togeth
Kiah Ballard
Children can have such vivid imaginations. I think this book depicts that's very well. If my class had am interest in super hero's I would read this book to them. An extension activity to this book would be having a discussion with the children on what kinds of powers they would like to have then draw pictures of themselves and their friends as superheroes.
Boni
Feb 16, 2009 rated it liked it
I thought this had better writing and a better storyline than the first Ladybug Girl book. Up until the end anyway, with the unnecessary introduction of the last two characters- at that point it seemed to lose direction a bit.
Sydney Jackson
David Soman and Jacky Davis
Dial Books for Young Readers 2009

This book follows young girl, Lulu on her adventure to the park, where all she wants to do is find a friend and play. She finds her friend Sam, and they try to decide what to play, but they cannot seem to agree. Eventually, they decide to play Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy- a game where they are both super heroes and save the park from danger.

I don't believe there are any potential problems with this book. The children do pretend to ha
Violeta Tistova
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: t-l-307
Genre: Picture book

Copyright Date: March 5th, 2009

Thoughts: This is such a sweet book. It really portrays a child's imagination so well. I love how they showed that ordinary humans can be hero's, too. I feel like it would be very relatable to many kids who get bored of doing just regular things at the playground. It shows an example of how to put your imagination to use. Overall great book!

Classroom Use: If you have kids who say recess is boring, you can point them to this book. This will show t
Adalyn McCarty
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-230
This book would be a great read aloud for elementary students grades k-3. Although third grade may seem a little old for this book, some days it may be a good reminder of how to treat people even if you disagree with them. This book shows two friends at the park that are upset because they cannot find something they both want to play. The lesson in this book is shown when the kids work together to find a game they both would enjoy playing and once they do they have fun together. They also includ ...more
John
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
They don't have powers, but even in some books they do, but we don't have some of them, so we're leaving "Ladybug Girl and the Beach" for summer. Don't you think summer is good?

P. S. P. S. P. S. P. S. Do you know what's at the end? Ladybug Girl and the Bug Squad. Kiki and Lion. I'm mixing it up with Oz because Oz has powers too.
Anthony
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Two friends meet at the playground, and after indecision of what to play, decide on being superheros, and save the playground from danger, robots, and a giant snake as their imaginations adds to their fun.
Berna S (6.5) L (4)
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sara
6.5 year old: “I liked that the ladybug found a friend from school at the playground and they pretended to be superheroes together and had a lot of fun”
Kris
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great story that teaches a lesson without being heavy-handed. It is full of imagination and compromise, and the two friends learn to work together. The illustrations are cute, too.
Lkowalczyk
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
A delightful story about inclusion. The 2 year-old I read it to loved it too. The illustrations help add to the story. Will look for others at the library.
Melissa Namba
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dnamba
what a fun book about imagination and compromise. the kids figure out a way to do what everyone wants to do.
Dee
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another grandkids book
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
My almost four-year old enjoyed this story and I enjoyed reading it to her. Loved the focus on imaginative play and playing as a team.
kim
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
super solid
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, children-s

This was very similar to Ladybug Girl and the Bug Squad.
Rayjan Koehler
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Suzie Bookgirl
This is a lovely story about a little girl with a big imagination and a really big heart. When she goes to the park she wants to play with Sam but they do not want to do the same things. Just at the point of giving up and going away to play by herself Lulu, aka Ladybug Girl, takes a deep breath and tries one more time. She is rewarded with an awesome adventure and new friends as well. Love.
Shel
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Soman, D., & Davis, J. (2009). Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy. New York: Dial Books for Young Readers.

Appetizer: Dressed as a ladybug, Lulu heads to the park with her dog, Bingo and her mom. She looks for a friend and finds Sam, but the two have trouble deciding on a game they both want to play.

I absolutely love the sense of imagination of this picturebook. Normal kids imaging that they are superheroes and that the playground is full of villains they must conquer is very realist
James Son
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book starts off with focusing on a girl named Lulu, who is wearing a ladybug costume. She clams that she is Ladybug Girl and that she is ready to play at the playground. As she heads over to the playground with her mom and Bingo, who is her dog, she goes through great adventures; such as jumping through sidewalk cracks as big as canyons, and counting down mailboxes to infinity. After finally reaching the playground, she meets her friend Sam. As they decide what to play, they both realize th ...more
Courtney Dyer
Husband and wife team, David Soman and Jacky Davis, pair up again to bring us the companion book to Ladybug Girl. Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy is an empowering story packed with superhero action, cooperation, and compromise that is sure to captivate the imaginations of even its youngest intended audience members. Realistic dialogue coupled with colorfully painted illustrations brings to life the innocence and often difficulties of forming new friendships.

Lulu, dressed as Ladybug Girl, can’t wa
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I like the story of girls and boys learning to play together, and the way that they learn to compromise, and also their imagination is awesome! Also the great illustrations really add to the story of the book. I would recommend this book to preschool-second graders because they would really be able to relate to this story line, but also younger kids would love it too.

From School Library Journal
PreSchool-Grade 2—Lulu is back in this companion to Ladybug Girl (Dial, 2008)
Zaidee
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
love a good ladybug girl book and navigating playground conflicts!
Amy
May 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
I won a copy of this book through the First Reads program on GoodReads.

This is a fun book designed for a preschool or kindergarten audience. Lulu, aka Ladybug Girl, feels invincible on the walk to the playground. But when she gets to the playground, she and Sam cannot agree on what to play. They both want to do things exactly their way. But then, Lulu decides to show Sam how to be Bumblebee Boy. The two superhero bugs have so much fun, they end up with two new members wanting to join the Bug Sq
Holly Letson
The Decatur Public Library had its' Grand Re-Opening and Open House tonight, and they had a Ladybug Girl cosplayer there to entertain the children. I was very intrigued, since the face looked very *anime* to me. And, we all know how anime things instantly get all my attention.
The ladies around the cosplayer told me it's not an anime actually, but a children's book about a girl that loves ladybugs so much that she always dresses like one. That made me really want to read the book. Apparently, t
Ramanda Flannery
This book is about a little girl who is dressed like a ladybug and goes to the park. On her way to the park she acts like she has super powers. Once at the park she sees a little boy from her music class and asks him if he wants to play and he says yes. There is one problem, they do not like to play the same games. They get mad at each other and do not say anything for a few minutes and then Lulu (ladybug girl)remembers how much fun she had being ladybug girl on the way to the park and says why ...more
Katy
May 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Hooray for First Reads wins!

Ladybug Girl (also known as Lulu) is excited to finally go to her favorite playground. When she arrives, she sees her friend Sam and asks him to play. Unfortunately, Lulu and Sam can't seem to find anything they want to play together. Eventually Lulu invites Sam to play
Ladybug Girl with her. Because Sam is wearing a yellow and black striped shirt, they decide Sam can be Bumblebee Boy. Together Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy fight a scary monster, a mean robot, and a g
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Luke Goes to Bat
  • The Mine-O-Saur
  • Madeline and the Cats of Rome
  • Possum Come a-Knockin'

David Soman and Jacky Davis are a husband-and-wife creative team. They write the New York Times bestselling Ladybug Girl books together and Mr. Soman illustrates. The books are inspired by their own children and family experiences. Jacky Davis has worked in publishing as well as in television. David Soman teaches at the School of Visual Arts in New York City. They live with their children in upsta

Ladybug Girl (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Ladybug Girl
  • Ladybug Girl at the Beach
  • Ladybug Girl and the Bug Squad
  • Ladybug Girl Visits the Farm
  • Ladybug Girl and Bingo
  • Ladybug Girl and the Best Ever Playdate
  • Ladybug Girl and the Big Snow
  • Play All Day with Ladybug Girl
  • Ladybug Girl Dresses Up!
  • Ladybug Girl and the Dress-up Dilemma