Start by marking “Shadows in the Water” as Want to Read:
Shadows in the Water

Shadows in the Water

(Shadows in the Water #1)

Louie Thorne has a dark and dangerous gift. But when her father is murdered, her power threatens to consume her. The only way to save herself is to funnel her rage into a single purpose: revenge. She will destroy the men who destroyed her family. Embracing her extraordinary and unpredictable gift is the only way to enact that revenge—no matter the personal cost.

Robert King
ebook
Published February 2nd 2017 by Kory M. Shrum

To ask other readers questions about Shadows in the Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows in the Water

Kory Shrum
Jan 17, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I don't rate the books I write, but I do give myself goodreads *credit* for them so I can succeed in my yearly reading challenge!
Angela
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so much fun! It's dark and gritty, but I think how the past is revealed helps soften the hard edges of the heroine, Louie Thorne, so readers will understand her better and root for her to succeed even though her mission is a vengeful one. I also really enjoy the secondary perspective from the retired agent Robert King. He gives a different dynamic to the story that rounds it out nicely and compliments Louie. They work well together, despite their many differences. The lighter, more ...more
Neera Sawhney
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shadows In The Water is an absolutely riveting read. I was hooked from the very beginning with little Louie's stark terror of the water, to her understanding and handling of her gift(s). Louie is a hard edged, focused woman, with one goal in mind. Kory has kept her true in character, with her values intact, but one can also see her maturing and evolving in the book.The other characters in the book have also been very interestingly delineated, they too have a life of their own. I'm looking forwar ...more
°~Amy~°
I received this book free from the author in exchange for a fair and honest review. First of all, let me please say that after reading all of Shrum's other work, this one took me by surprise. It wasn't what I expected at all. Having said that, it is my favorite piece of her work so far.

This book begins the tale of a young woman, Lou (mid 20's) who has the power to travel from place to place (view spoiler)
Joseph Thomas
When I found out that Kory M. Shrum was working on a new crime thriller book, I was super excited! Then when I was able to get an ARC (Advanced Reading Copy) of the book to proofread, I freaked out even more!

Shadows in the Water is about a woman named Louie Thorne who is seeking revenge for the death of her parents. But this is not your typical revenge story, as Louie has a special gift. A gift that allows her to dish out punishment to members of a Mafia family involved in her parent's deaths.
Rhonda Green
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review. I have read all of Kory Shrum's books and enjoy her strong, witty, sarcastic female characters. I was so excited when I learned that she would be writing a new series, very different from her Dying for a Living series. Shadows in the Water was not what I expected! It was even better. The book begins when Louie is a little girl..we aren't quite sure why she is so terrified of water or just what exactly happens when her gift is expressed. Can't w ...more
Lisa
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC for this book but I loved it so much and wanted to support the author that I purchased the kindle edition. This book reminds me of some of the Dean Koontz books that I have read. It is a nicely paced crime story with a dash paranormal, but I felt the otherworldliness doesn't weigh down the story. The main character, Louie, does have an unusual ability but it is not what defines her, she is so much more. I believe that this is the first book to a series, but it could be read as ...more
Charles Ray
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Louie Thorn was just a child, her parents, DEA agent Jack Thorne and his wife, were killed by the Martinelli family, a gang of drug lords. Only Louie’s ability to ‘slip’ through the shadows saved her from sharing their fate. Now, an adult, she has only one purpose in life; to avenge the murder of her parents. Using her ability, she eliminates the Martinelli gang one-by-one, along with all those who worked for them. Her aunt, Lucy, who shares her special ability, turns to ex-DEA agent Robert ...more
Carolyn McBride
A disturbing, brilliant, magnetic book! I had a very hard time putting this one down, and the only thing that made me put it down was the stupid clock. I don't normally read paranormals, let alone paranormal thrillers, but that blurb drew me in and wouldn't leave me alone. Magnetic, like I said. It disturbed me, the mental picture I got of Jabbers...I saw it behind my eyes when I closed them at 4 AM, I saw it when I blinked...I shivered, really truly shivered. I haven't done that in relation to ...more
DoodlePanda
I really enjoyed this book! Shrum is starting to become a favourite author of mine, she really knows how to write an interesting story!
And Hollie Jackson does a great job narrating the whole thing!

I really look forward to the second book in the series coming out, I will be checking it out for sure! :D
Punkin
Hehe jabbers

Umm a little confusing at times. Plenty of details and a bit of a slow burn that's on different levels. Interesting take on some minor paranormal. somewhat interested in the second. A little pissed at the ending but discovered its not a Stand alone though it could be.
Denise
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, fantasy, thriller
This story has so much going for it! Please read Angela and Neera-Sawhney's reviews if you are wondering whether to read it. (As of 8/18 they are the top reviews.) It is a good amount police procedural topped with fantasy/magic. For me, the way Kory Shrum combined the two genres make it entirely unique. So glad to see there is a follow-up and that she has many other books to enjoy.
R
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kory M. Shrum is a superb writer. This creative, imaginative story will engage you from the very beginning with many diverse and multidimensional characters. I am looking forward to the next book in this series.
Jen
Sep 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
33% DNF/Abandoned

I could not get into it \_(ツ)_/
Lisa
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a dark and gritty book but I really liked the characters and how fast-paced the book was. I wish there was a sequel!
Jillian
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Shadows in the Water review

4.5 stars for grammar/typo mistakes, but I'll be nice and round up for Goodreads.

Shadows in the Water is the second Kory M. Shrum book I've read after Dying for a Living, and despite the many similarities between the two books, I hope to keep my opinions of them as separate as I can when I review.

That said, there were a lot of similarities.

Not in a bad way, though! Both books had hardened, badass female protagonists with special gifts and dark pasts, which was aweso
Tony Parsons
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
St. Louis, MO. Courtney Thorne (wife/mother) was frantic.
Louie “Lou” Abigail Thorne Thorne (10, Courtney’s daughter) had disappeared from their home.
Courtney called Jack Thorne (husband/stepfather, DEA agent) to let him know.

The Perry County Sheriff’s Department interviewed both Jacob Foxton & Billie Hodges.
Jacob had found her by his pool naked, cut/scared up.
What news did Detective Chaz Brasso have for Lucy?
What did Konstantine Martinelli (Greek, Ravengers) have Julio Vasquez (Ravenger
Mary Brannian
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lou/Louie Thorne: a young woman who discovers at an early age that she is capable of more....

Konstantine Martinelli: the bastard son of a Mafia boss, all powerful but lusting for more... the last of the Martinelli line, he covets Lou's powers....

At the age of 10, Lou first experiences her power to "slip"... glide from one location to another via water. Unlike her aunt Lucy, who also can "slip", Lou is able to do it in water or deep shadows... if Lou "slips" via water, it takes her to La Loo... a
Misty Neal
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a completely new series from Kory Shrum, and once again she creates a world we have never seen before. While it was difficult for me to find any trace of humanity in the grown up Louie at the start, those traces did begin to appear. Louie is guarded, and for good reason. And she is angry, also for good reason. Louie gets some serious (and well deserved) revenge in amazing ways! Sometimes I wish i could rid the world of some scum the way she has. By the end of the book you are seeing the ...more
Thomas S.  Iversen
This book had me hooked right from the first chapter. As always Kory M. Shrum introduces you to characters with a twist as well as an edge to them. The composition of characters was refreshing and some of the more humorous parts of the book are due to gender, age and belief differences between the characters.

I am a fan of the Jesse Sullivan series, but this could turn out even better!

It turned out to be a pageturner for me and I eagerly await the next book in the serie! Highly recommended.
Maya
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won't give any content away....
I didn't think Kory could beat Jesse but I love love love Lou...Shadows in the Water just gets you hooked...could not put it down.
It is such a fab idea...i love everything about it. The suspense the supernatural...the characters...they were so well thought out...nothing flat...Can't wait to see where this series is going.
Kim
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREAT READ!!!!

This was a PHENOMENAL read!! Fast paced, and yet completely submerging you within the world of Shadows in the Water!!
If you like a little reality mixed in with your fantasy, or always dreamed of a place wher you found take your enemies to NEVER be seen again!?!?!?! This IS the book for you!!!! I hope you ENJOY it as much as I did!!!!
Heather Henkel
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous story

I really liked the characters in this story. You gave the gritty former law enforcement, troubled young girl turned vigilante, and wacky vegan aunt. Throw in the supernatural and the mafia and you have a wild and crazy ride.
Wanda
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal!

I rated this book five star because that's what it is. It's very fast paced and thrilling. Please, if you get a chance read this book Shadows in the Water by Kory M. Strum. You will not be disappointed.
Danielle Atencio
Amazing new series!

This is one of the few really good books I've had the pleasure of reading! So Many Books Are simply copies of a formula, but this one is definitely not that. I liked all the characters and the story was complex. I'm so thankful that I took a chance on this.
A.B. Shepherd
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A dark urban fantasy. Well written and engaging. Loved it.
Frances Cecilio
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh wow. I love it. Read it..
Faith Sarfaty
What a great idea for a story. Couldn't put it down read it until I finished! Can't wait for more.
Reba
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping

Within the first chapter, you'll be asking yourself "How in the world is this going to end?" This was my first book by this author but it won't be my last.
Fred
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Good characters. One little nit-picking thing... normally, when it's sub-freezing outdoors and snowing, you wouldn't be listening to the song of thousands of crickets.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Around the Year i...: Shadows in the Water, by Kory Shrum 1 11 Mar 06, 2017 12:06PM

• Dead Men Can't Complain and Other Stories
  • Dane Curse (Black Cape Case Files, #1)
  • The Prince Commands
  • The Phase Transition (Rise of the Gray Order Book 1)
  • Blood for Wolves (A Figments Fable)
  • Sucked In (The Series That Just Plain Sucked, #1)
  • Lance of Earth and Sky (The Chaos Knight, #2)
  • Lethal Sin (Dangerous Games #1)
  • Gift of the Destroyer (The Hunter in the Dark, #1)
  • Memoirs of an Antihero
  • Het Chalet
  • Tyrant Trouble (Mudflat #1)
  • Dance By Midnight (Grimoire Chronicles, #1)
  • Tales from Rugosa Coven
  • Syphon's Song (Mayflower Mages, #1)
  • Cade Crowley, Demon Hunter (Cade Crowley, Demon Hunter #1)
  • Yearnings: A Paranormal Romance Box Set
  • Deadly Slipper
Visit Kory's website to receive three books from her free starter library: www.korymshrum.com/free-starter-library

Kory M. Shrum is an award-winning and USA TODAY bestselling author of fantasy and thrillers--and something else that's a bit of each. She's an active member of Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, Horror Writers of America, and the Four Horsemen of the Bookocalypse, where sh

Shadows in the Water (3 books)
  • Under the Bones (Shadows in the Water, #2)
  • Danse Macabre (Shadows in the Water, #3)