Start by marking “Saving Maverick” as Want to Read:
Saving Maverick

Debra Elise

Saving Maverick

Strike one

Days before the biggest game of playboy pitcher Maverick Jansen's career, his brother is killed in a horrific car accident. Determined not to let his teammates down, Mav pushes through his grief only to lose control of his signature pitch - and the series.

Strike two

Still dealing with the backlash of his once adoring fans, Maverick learns the team'/>Strike
Audio CD
Published January 31st 2017 by Audible Studios on Brilliance Audio (first published April 4th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Saving Maverick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saving Maverick

1-Click Addict Support Group
When the strikes happen on and off the field…

“You can’t pick and choose who you love or who melts your panties.”

…and sometimes that means a relationship that is very, very complicated. That is exactly what Maverick Jansen, pitcher extraordinaire, and Kelsey Sullivan, PR guru, find themselves in.

These two cannot catch a break... at all. Besides both coming with a trunk-full of baggage, their current situation couldn’t be less likely to encourage a romance between them.
They try to be professional—try being thprofessional—/>“You
Anne OK
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
I've been hitting the heavy heartbreakers that tear your heart out lately. I needed a little break and a fun-to-read sports romance most always satisfies me and puts me at ease. This little number popped up for 99-cents and I was one-clicking before giving it another thought.

I didn't love nor hate it. It was an average easy read with a Maverick as the standard sports bad boy hero pitcher. One who definitely needed some help in getting his act together in the press and on the mound. E
Cathryn Cade
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having been privileged to read the ARC of this sports romance, I am thrilled to say it's a fabulous debut for author Debra Elise. Full of sexual tension, angst, heart-felt romance and laugh-out-loud funny moments. With action like this, no wonder baseball is America's sport!
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Kitty's review posted at Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

It’s baseball season and what a way to start off Spring Training. A bad boy, hot baseball player and the woman that could either bench him or have him pitch a perfect game. Yep, here we go with the baseball euphemisms.

Maverick was one hot mess. Since his brother’s death, the loss of the big game and moving the team to some podunk town, whiskey has been his friend, lover and coach. Add that to lying to the ne
Alina
Dec 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, sports
Review in progress.
Amanda Mann *Rabid Readers Book Blog*
Wow, what can I say about this book that doesn't make me sound corny?

I'll admit that at first, I was a little hesitant. The story line sounded very interesting to me, however, I am not a huge fan of sports or baseball. But let me just say, I'm pretty sure this book has peaked my interest a bit.

From the first chapter you are reeled in by these characters. They are so well written and so complex, not to mention the fact that they have some issues in their pasts that makes
Sam
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m not entirely sure how I feel after Saving Maverick. I enjoyed it, but there were some parts that confused me. The story kept my focus and I liked reading it, but I just felt like something was missing as I was reading. I don’t know exactly what… but there was something missing.
The plot was a little predictive, but after reading so many romance novels, you start to understand how the plot goes. I do love a happily ever after though. I was confused about some of the writing though. Throughout
Virna
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got to say the idea for this book was good..but something was lacking for me. The plot is cliched at best. I couldn't bring myself to like Kelsey at all. The worst part is the she make assumptions about him that they are most often totally wrong. Maverick seems like a great guy and goes through a lot to finally convinces Kelsey to let him in.
Joy Boutwell
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a good mellow sports book- it is very similar to other books I've read but still a good book. I liked the characters and how their story unfolded but, I did feel parts were missing from their past that needed to be added to understand them better and the ending needed to have an epilogue maybe 3 years later, to close the story out better.
Princ3ss
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh
P.e. lolo
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-sports
Maverick Jensen is his own worst enemy and one night when he is drunk and is complaining about his baseball team being moved to a “Hicksville” town in Idaho, his rant is captured on video and has made all of the media outlets. Now he must deal with this and with the loss of his brother in a car accident. Once in Idaho he is surprised to find Kelsey Sullivan has taken on this client for a friend but now has also broken her one main rule falling for a professional athlete. When things begin to get ...more
Irisheyz77
This review was originally posted on Ticket to Anywhere

Place(s) Traveled To: Pineville, Idaho

First Line(s): Maverick Jansen woke to the sound of a jackhammer tearing down his hotel room door.

If you know me then you know a couple things, namely that I like New Adult and that while I may not be a big sportsing fan in real life I do adore a good sportsing book. With that in mind one would think that SAVING MAVERICK would be a book that is right up my alley. Especially when you toss in a bad boy in need of redemption and the girl hired to savdoor.
IfIdaho
FirstAnywhere
Place(s)

If you know me then you know a couple things, namely that I like New Adult and that while I may not be a big sportsing fan in real life I do adore a good sportsing book. With that in mind one would think that SAVING MAVERICK would be a book that is right up my alley. Especially when you toss in a bad boy in need of redemption and the girl hired to save his image. I had hopes for SAVING MAVERICK but sadly this book failed to live up to them. First, SAVING MAVERICK is billed as a New Adult read but for me it came across as a very adult story. If you go just based on age I think it might just squeak in, though to be honest I can't remember how old these characters were. But they were all pretty settled and established in their careers and that to me just makes this story lean more towards Adult. For me, New Adult is more college and early career, with characters trying to figure out their place in the world.

Another thing that bugged me about SAVING MAVERICK was that it was filled with errors and random head jumping. Some of the errors I could chalk up to reading an ARC but there were just so many that they became hard to ignore. And the head jumping oh my stars it was just bad. One paragraph we'd be in Kelsey's head in the next Maverick and then a few pages later a whole new POV just for fun. I don't mind books with alternate POVs but I do like there to be a little structure to them. The constant changing of POV makes it really hard to keep up with the story and it just gives my brain whiplash as I struggle to keep up!  It also didn't help to endear me to Kelsey and Maverick who are just two very blah, cliched characters that are pretty forgettable. Sorry folks, no heart achy moments here....or at least none that I can remember.

Normally I have a really good memory when it comes to books and plots but when I think back on SAVING MAVERICK I mostly get a blank page in my brain and so am very glad for my Goodreads notes because my kindle has totally failed me. (Why oh why is it deleting my highlights and notes?!? *cries*) But memorability aside, Kelsey and Maverick where your pretty standard fare when it comes to romance characters and their story may have been a good one if the plot wasn't so muddled with those errors mentioned above and the crazy side plot. The subplot was just too much and was more of a distraction than anything else. It was also very predictable. This whole story was pretty predicable. Not to mention repetitive. So very very very very repetitive. And we all know just how much I "love" repetitive dialogue and storylines. *eye roll*

In the end SAVING MAVERICK wasn't a bad book but it wasn't good either. It falls somewhere in the middle and was just mediocre for me. SAVING MAVERICK is the start of a series and I'm not sure if I'll read the other books when they come out. Or at the very least I don't think I'll be rushing out to read it.

irishdarkblue
IR - Saving Maverick

Add Act Like It by Lucy Parker to Goodreads. (Click here for my review.)

Add Love Me Tenor by Annabeth Albert to Goodreads. (Click here for my review)

This review was originally posted on Ticket to Anywhere

Michelle
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**Saving Maverick is the first book in the new adult Outlaws of baseball series by Debra Elise. I love the bloomsbury spark line, but for some reason I was under the impression that it was for more young adult line of books, but this was most certainly a new adult romance. I am really excited that the spark line is branching out into (or maybe has always done) new adult romances as well. Saving Maverick is a really yummy first book in the Outlaws o ...more
Wit & Wonder Books
** ARC PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR FOR AN HONEST REVIEW **

Who doesn't love a book with sports, hot sexy men, romance and crazy drama.
Debra did an amazing job in combining all my favorites in one book. It was a good read.

Maverick Jansen has been struggling with his career as a Pitcher for the Outlaws. After an accident left him on the Disabled List he has been unable to work his was back to where he used to be. Now the media see him as a man with a drinking problem and a man whore.
Ashli
I am such a sucker for sport romances! I really enjoyed this book by Debra Elise. I enjoyed the chemistry between Maverick and Kelsey. The book flows well and it is entertaining through the eyes of the sports world. I thought the wrinkle of Kelsey and Maverick "having to date" was great. My only slight issue with this book is that Kelsey is forcefully like "no, I don't want to date you" but completely turns the switch. That could just be me, but overall I thought this book was really enjoyable!
Heather andrews
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maverick had quite the panty melting lines, “would you be wearing lingerie? If yes, you can call me anything you want.” That damn grin appeared again and her lower half went liquid." Maverick is always willing to accommodate with what his woman wants, “you don’t sound too sure about that, baby. I mean, I aim to please. We could go back to my place and finish what we started.” I really liked this book, Maverick was a good guy.
Ginny Wallace
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved Kelsey & Maverick and the sparks between them! Since I am a huge baseball fan this was an enjoyable story about a player, his love of the game and then his love for a beautiful, intelligent woman. The characters come alive with their personalities, passions and vulnerability. I felt as if they were/are people I have known in my own life. Set in the beautiful area of northern Idaho you not only care about the characters, but the scenery itself comes alive. I highly recommend it!
Lexy Baker
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you like sexy baseball players? Then Debra Elise's debut romance Saving Maverick will not disappoint. After an accident leaves him on the disabled list, Maverick turns to drinking and women and earns himself a reputation as a womanizer. Enter Kelly Sullivan, PR pro who is determined not to let her feelings for him get in the way of her job. Their attraction is instantaneous, undeniable and forbidden. If you like sexy sports romances, check out Saving Maverick!
Kristin
DNF'd at 32%

I think I was thrown by finding this title in the Bloomsbury Spark imprint but the story did NOT read NA at all. It was more of a contemporary adult romance story with a lot of heated moments between the two protagonists. And with moments like 'nipples brushing shoulders', I couldn't go further in their "dance"... sorry :(
Julie
Cute, fun read. A little nonsensical at times and too slut shame-y/I'm-not-like-the-other-girls for my taste, but fun for what it was.
Heather
rated it it was ok
Jun 13, 2019
Rena
May 25, 2019
Hattie Z
rated it did not like it
Jan 07, 2017
May 29, 2016
Sherley Vazquez
Apr 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Debra Elise lives with her husband and their two sons in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. She is an Autism advocate, stay at home mom, full time writer, and is always on the lookout for inspiration--in all its forms. She will release the final book in her Outlaws of Baseball series, CHASING NOEL, in Fall 2019.

Sharing what motivates her is a life passion (a close second to writing romance of cours