Start by marking “Gotham Academy: Second Semester, Vol. 1: Welcome Back” as Want to Read:
Gotham Academy: Second Semester, Vol. 1: Welcome Back

Gotham Academy: Second Semester, Vol. 1: Welcome Back

(Gotham Academy: Second Semester)

GOTHAM ACADEMY is back for its second semester!

When you're Gotham Academy student Olive Silverlock, winter holidays can be a drag. Luckily, when a new student shows up at Gotham Academy to keep her company while the other students are away, Olive finds what could be a brand new friend...or a whole lot of trouble. And when Maps, Kyle, Colton, Pomeline and the rest of the st
Published July 25th 2017 by DC Comics

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
Gotham Academy is a fabulous series that can be read both by kids and grown-ups. This is the second volume I've read in this series and I totally loved it. Honestly, I could sit down and re-read it, both for the stories and for the wonderful art.

For those of you that don't know anything about Gotham Academy will I tell you this: It's a school with strange teachers, secret passengers, kids with abilities (not all of them, but some) and now and then a guy called Bruce Wayne shows up.

My favorite ch
Skye Kilaen
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I feel like this is finally dragging Gotham Academy back from the chaotic mess of Vol 3: Yearbook and the very disappointing Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy crossover (which could have been fab if at least 40% of the text in the second half had been cut. Did no one in the process understand the difference between a comic script and a prose novel?) I was so taken with the first volume of GA, even on re-read, so please please please let it stay on this better road!
Chad
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Good: Wow, I can't believe how much better this was than previous volumes. The story was much more focused and interesting. The background paintings by Michele Assarasakron were gorgeous. After seeing this, I'm not sure why DC hasn't given her her own book to illustrate. With Adam Archer's pencils in the foreground it gave the book an animation feel to it.

The Bad: Did not like Amy's deal at all. I saw where the story was headed the second she appeared and dreaded every panel she appeared in.
Erica
There's not a lot to say about this.
The story is fairly weak and not well-written, jumping all over the place and not really following a logical flow.
The illustrations are still fun and adorable.
I'm still here, still reading so I guess that says something, right?
Brittany
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5

Welcome back to Gotham Academy, home to all things creepy and mysterious. The gang is all back together in this issue to combat more mysteries involved around Gotham Academy, but it doesn't quite seem right. New friends and selfish intents could pull the group apart at the hinges, will they be able to overcome and save Gotham Academy once again?

This follows the same group of quirky characters in the Detective Club at Gotham Academy as they combat the disappearance of a teacher and some other
Alison
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Probably my favorite of the Gotham Academy series. though the plot was kind of all over the place at times
Jessica (HighFantasyFanatic)
I really loved learning more about the history of the silverlocks and arkhams.
Jamie (TheRebelliousReader)
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, 2017
4 stars. This series is finally getting back on track! This was definitely my favorite volume since the first one. The artwork was back to being consistent and vibrant which I was so happy to see after the mess of the last volume. The story was a whole lot of fun and took a turn that I was not expecting with Olive’s character and I’m so excited to see where it goes next. The action and adventure was exciting and just served as a reminder of why I love this series so much. I’m definitely looking ...more
Emily
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
As always, I love the artwork, and the stories this time were pretty good. Looking forward to the next.
Megan
I'm going to need my parents to adopt Maps and Jesus Christ, Pomeline is the Slytherin schoolgirl of my dreams. Another excellent volume in the series! This one really starts to bring a lot of the past threads together and I can't help but think we're heading for some kind of conclusion. Still, hoping this runs for a long while from now, I love it so much!!!
Chris Lemmerman
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
[Read as single issues]
I love Gotham Academy. It's one of those Bat-Books that carves out a little niche that no other book manages to find and really goes for it, roping in continuity and characters from all over the place (like the 60s Batman show and the 90s Animated Series) so that fans of Batman in general will get something fun out of everything involved. But it's also got a huge amount of heart and fun characters - which is why it's so sad to see them going through the wringer in this vol
Jill Jemmett
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Olive Silverlock stayed at Gotham Academy for the winter break. Before school started, a girl showed up in her room, claiming to be her new roommate. Amy convinces Olive to do bad things. They throw a rock through a window. They break into a house on the school property and then torment Eric. Then, a new club starts up, competing with Maps’s detective club. The new club is filled with witches who plan on burning the library books. Maps’s friends have to rescue her after she is brainwashed to joi ...more
Shali
Oct 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Gotham Academy: Second Semester picks up on Olive's story, which they had decided to ditch in Vol. 3, Gotham Academy: Yearbook.
Unfortunately, I didn't really care for it. I'm still interested in Olive and Amity, etc, but I wasn't in love with this volume.

(view spoiler) But Batman makes an appearance, so that's cool.
So, anyw
Shannon Appelcline
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, comics-dc
A really nicely organized volume. We begin with a short investigation of the Witches Club. It reminds of us who the characters are and why we love them and their fun detectiving.

But in the latter half of the volume, things really rev up, and we're suddenly faced with a mystery much more crucial to the school and to our main characters. There are some beautiful reveals in this storyline that really pay off much of the book so far (and make me want to reread it). It brings things up to the next le
Joanne Myers
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Joanne by: Netgalley
I have had the Gotham Academy series saved in my wishlist for a long while but wasn't 100% sure whether it was for me or not.
When I got the chance on Netgalley (Thanks for the ARC copy) to read this one, I jumped at it.

Yes, I jumped into a series that has already been established without reading anything prior so I knew nothing about it but I loved it. I had no issues with the characters or figuring out the basics.

The illustrations are fantastic in this book.

An excellent read, thanks again Netg
Ivy
5 stars

Nice to see Olive, Maps, and the rest of the Detective Club again. Olive's roommate being her great.....grandmother was quite interesting. Also, Olive is an Arkham. Hope the Detective Club will be able to stop Olive. Glad to see a cameo from Batman/Bruce Wayne.

Can't wait to read Gotham Academy Second Semester volume 2!!!!
Ashley
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Once again I couldn't really remember the backstory or the characters, but that didn't stop me from enjoying this somewhat. There were times that I was kind of confused (and still am a little lost at that ending) but it was still enjoyable enough. I like the art, and the characters and their friendship. I don't really know what's going on, but I'll keep reading.
Kendall
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I started this one not expecting to like it too much...but I did! The story arc was fun and the art and layout is stellar. The mysteries, characters, flashbacks, etc. made this a really great read and I'm all in for the next one.
Kitkat
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I loved it!
Molly
Maps is still the best. I'm not as thrilled with Second Semester as I was with the initial run of the series, but it's still pretty fun.
victoria.p
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I enjoyed this new volume of the adventures of Detective Club.
Lujane
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, dc-comics
*3.5
Samantha
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
YAAAAAAS!

This one was much better!
Sara
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was awesome! One of my favorite volumes for sure! The plot was fascinating, the character development was interesting, the pacing was perfect, and I just had to keep flipping the pages to find out what was going to happen. There was a lot going on in this volume, but it never felt like too much and all of the elements were interesting, especially the hunt for the book and what it lead to! I can't wait to see what happens next with Olive!
Rummanah (Books in the Spotlight)
I am not sure if Gotham Academy Second Semester is a spin off series for Gotham Academy or a continuation of the overarching story. All of our main characters return to a new semester. I was a bit hesitant to read this one since I was really disappointed with Gotham Academy Vol. 3, but ended up really enjoying this one. The plot and tension of this volume is a slow burn. Olive has a new roommate that starts to have a negative effect on her. We also have a small mystery where students have been b ...more
Bookishrealm
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Okay so this series is starting to make a lot of sense and we definitely get more insight into what's going on to Olive as a character. I thought the artwork was amazing and I must says that the plot left me wanting more. It was extremely intriguing and I really enjoyed it. I'm excited to see where the rest of the story is going to go.
Meghannf
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gotham Academy was a great comic and I don’t even know where to begin… I was happy to read the new adventures of these lovely Gotham pupils!

The volume begins with the introduction of a new character. She is not the kind of girl you want to cross path with when you are entering your room. Not an engaging character. Olive’s new roommate represents everything I hate in a character, the fake rebel and insufferable persona of « I don’t care of everything and anything ». It pisses me off. Well, at le
Ben Truong
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gotham Academy and the Pizza Club returns for a second semester in Gotham Academy: Second Semester: Welcome Back. This series would continue focusing on these five members of the Pizza Club as they go through more mysteries and shenanigans that Gotham Academy holds. This trade paperback collects seven issues (Gotham Academy: Second Semester #1–3, 5–8) of the 2016 on-going series.

Gotham Academy: Second Semester: Welcome Back reveals all the secrets about Olive Silverlock's past. Apparently, she w
Rick Hunter
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: netgalley
***** I got a digital ARC of this from DC through Netgalley.com in exchange for an honest review.

I'd never read any of the previous Gotham Academy books that started near the end of the New 52. The kids that are the main characters made cameo appearances in Poison Ivy: Cycle of Life and Death and something else that I read, but that was my only experience with these characters prior to starting this book. The very first thing I noticed when I started reading this book was the art. The book is as
Alex Lazarev
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Young adult cерия о Готэмской Академии продолжилась в перезапуске DC Rebirth под названием Gotham Academy: Second Semester и, надо сказать, что "второй сезон" получился на голову лучше первого. Чтобы сделать историю поинтереснее и добавить драмы после довольно пресного третьего тома Gotham Academy , авторы ввели нового персонажа. В одни прекрасный день оставшаяся в Академии на зимние каникулы Олив Сильверлок обнаруживает, что в ее комнату въезжает новая соседка - Эми. Девушка-бунтарка, за плечам ...more
Brenden Fletcher is a writer who's worked on DC Comics titles including the bestselling Batgirl of Burnside, Gotham Academy, and Black Canary.

He contributed the acclaimed Flash story to the Eisner and Harvey Award winning Wednesday Comics and has recently launched a Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Pink series for Boom! Studios.

Gotham Academy: Second Semester (2 books)
  • Gotham Academy: Second Semester, Vol. 2