Start by marking “Moonlocket (The Cogheart Adventures, #2)” as Want to Read:
Moonlocket (The Cogheart Adventures, #2)

Moonlocket

(The Cogheart Adventures #2)

It's hard to escape the secrets from the past.

Storm clouds gather over Lily and Robert's summer when criminal mastermind the Jack of Diamonds appears. For Jack is searching for the mysterious Moonlocket - but that's not the only thing he wants.

Suddenly, dark secrets from Robert's past plunge him into danger. Jack is playing a cruel game that Robert is a part of. Now Lily a
Published May 1st 2017 by Usborne Publishing Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Moonlocket, please sign up.
Geoff Lynas Not really. The two stories are only connected by the characters. Knowing what the "Cogheart" is helps. It is not pivotal to the plot of Cogheart#2 th…moreNot really. The two stories are only connected by the characters. Knowing what the "Cogheart" is helps. It is not pivotal to the plot of Cogheart#2 though. (less)
Sonal It was an excellent book ! Definitely would rate it 5 stars . If you're a fan of the first book , then you'll definitely enjoy the second book . It's …moreIt was an excellent book ! Definitely would rate it 5 stars . If you're a fan of the first book , then you'll definitely enjoy the second book . It's just as interesting as Cogheart . It's got the perfect plot , and it's quite unpredictable at some points . But definitely worth reading ; impossible to put down ! (less)

Start your review of Moonlocket (The Cogheart Adventures, #2)
¸¸.•*¨*•♫ Mrs. Buttercup •*¨*•♫♪

This second book was just as adventurous and action-packed as the first; I love the steampunk elements and the covers of this series! The main character is so cute and sassy, and her friend is just as interesting as her! i love how the backstories of the main characters get revealed in this one, and how the mystery goes on. A quick fun read!
Puck
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children fan of science-fiction & steampunk
What an enchanting read! Moonlocket is the wonderful sequel to Cogheart, and again we follow Lily and Robert as they run through steampunk-Victorian London, this time to catch a truly treacherous villain.

This story takes place in the year 1897, eight months after the events of "Cogheart." While London prepares for Queen Victoria’s Jubilee, the city gets shaken up by the break-out of England’s most wanted criminal, the famous escapologist Jack Door.
Meanwhile, young Robert tries to find informat
Max
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
This book was so nice. A very cute story with relatable, fun characters. It's a children's novel but by no means childish, I loved reading it as an adult.

It takes place in a steampunk setting, the world building is very well done. It's easy to read and engages you really, I couldn't put it down. Sometimes it felt a little too fast in my opinion. When I was done reading I wanted more. I'll pick up the other installments in this series as well.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for an ARC to
Chloë
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an enchanting read. In this book, we follow Lily and Robert as they make their way through a steampunk London to catch the escapologist Jack Door while also learning about friendship and family. It is a middle-grade book, but definitely can be enjoyed by people of all ages. It is enchanting in its worldbuilding and teaches a few valuable lessons. I feel like it would have been a favourite if I would have read it when I was the target age.

I have to say I really enjoyed the characters. They a
Annemieke / A Dance with Books
Thank you to Netgalley and Jolly Fish Press for the review copy in exchange for an honest review. This does not change my opinion in anyway.

2,5 stars

Moonlocket is the sequel to Cogheart, a middle grade steampunk book I read earlier this year. I am conflicted on this book to be honest.

And I am just going to start with the problem I have. It is the ending. The end of Cogheart already had some violence that was on the border. But the ending of Moonlocket has more. And especially the combination o
Jocelyn
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review coming soon!
Ioana Tatu
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
•💕It is a wonderful book full of adventure and relatable characters.
•💕I do not regret a bit reading or buying it.
•✨I would recommend it to anyone who wants a little adventure and fantasy.✨
Milou
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a story that does its wonderful cover justice. We follow Lily, Malkin and Robert as they try to catch a famous criminal in Victorian, steampunk London. It is all you could want from a middle-grade novel. The main characters are brave, smart and get things done. But they are also flawed, they get scared, they do stupid things, they are real… It is a book filled with puzzles and adventure. But it doesn’t focus only on adventure. It also discusses what it means to be different, what family ...more
Queen Cronut
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun steampunk adventure as two best friends and a mechanical fox try to stop a criminal mastermind, Jack Diamond. Moonlocket is the second installment in the Coghearts series, but you don't need to have read the first book to enjoy this one.

Set in an alternative steampunk Victorian-era London, Jack Diamond, a world-renowned thief and notorious showman, has escaped from prison with plans to recover the missing Blood Diamond belonging to the Queen of England. Before long, Robert, Lily and Malki
shannon✨
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy through Netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion

This one was as enjoyable as the first book. The only difference that I experienced was the pacing, I had the feeling that this one was more fast-paced and I liked that a lot. Furthermore, it kind of discusses the same topics as the previous book, that is friendship and loyalty. However, this one also discussed family dynamics and I think this story did well in showing that not every family is happy and perfect.
Fee Roberts
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, netgalley, read-2019
Moonlocket by Peter Bunzl is the second book in The Cogheart Adventures trilogy. Lily and Robert are trying to figure out what the Moonlocket is, but they get a rude awakening when secrets from Robert's past come to light.

This is a story that can be read as a stand alone, though there are mentions of instances from the first book, it will in no way ruin this story for the reader.

I thought this was a fun, yet sad story at times. I love the characters and the world the author has created.
Bethany Sawford
An inspiring, fast-paced adventure following Robert and Lily (not forgetting Makin!) as they race around London trying to solve a mystery involving the criminal mastermind Jack of Diamonds and a family heirloom. The characters are brilliant and the writing style is wonderful - Peter Bunzl has created a world I don't ever want to leave! ...more
Tammie
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
1st Read- September 2018
- Original rating- 4 Stars

2nd Read- April 2020 for the O.W.Ls (Herbology- book beginning with an M)
- Rating- 3 Stars
I enjoyed this slightly less than the first time I read it but I still adore this series.
Melissa Mitchell
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When notorious Jack Door escapes prison in to reclaim the Blood Moon Diamond, Lily and Robert are the ones who must stop him.

“There’s no point living in fear of what might be when it prevents you enjoying the freedom of what is.” Lily has never quite felt normal, especially after discovering that she is a hybrid—a human with a cogheart implanted in her chest. While she strugles with these feelings, she learns how important family is. Robert faces a similar challenge. He’s been abandoned by his m
Jude (NovelReader13)
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, middle-grade
This was less of a mystery than the first book, which I didn't mind at all. The story felt much more adventurous and had a strong, emotional centre. Loved it! 4.5🌟 ...more
Kevin
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
The sequel to the hugely popular Cogheart, Bunzl reunites Lily, Robert and their mechanical fox, Malkin, for another action packed adventure. The notorious showman, trickster and thief extraordinaire, Jack Door, has escaped from his high security prison cell and is out to reclaim his greatest prize, a magnificent jewel belonging to the queen and which, even after his arrest, was never recovered. With the police baffled by Jack's tricks, it falls to Lily, Robert and Malkin, to thwart his criminal ...more
Beth Troon
May 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The series of cogheart is amazing. Give 5 star for all of them.
Ruzaika
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Received with many thanks from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Another version of this review can be found here.

Eight months after their hair-raising adventure in Cogheart, we find Robert at Brackenbridge Manor with Lily, her papa, Malkin and the rest. Things are peaceful until one day they stumble across the mysterious Moonlocket in the ashes of Robert's old home, and what's more, the notorious criminal mastermind, the escapologist Jack Door or Jack of Diamonds as he's known has
Miss Cleveland
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-books
Hurrah for Waterstones and early release copies! Thanks to them, I got to spend the last day of my Easter holidays snuggled up with this, the second Cogheart adventure. I say snuggled; a more accurate description would be perched on the edge of my seat from beginning to end…

It's been eight months since Lily and Robert’s last adventure. Robert has moved into Brackenbridge Manor, and life is peaceful. Well, until two seemingly unrelated events plunge the pair into another heart-stopping adventure…
Jessica (Read book. Repeat)
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
You can find this review and all of my others over at www.readbookrepeat.wordpress.com

I received a copy of this book from the publisher, Jolly Fish Press, and the author via netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Jack Door, the notorious escapologist has escaped an inescapable prison. He's in on a search for the Moonlocket which will help him get back the one thing in the world he desires most, the Blood Moon Diamond. He stole it fifteen years ago, after which, he was imprisoned, now he ha
Peter
Jul 04, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: middle-grade
- In the first book, Cogheart, you established your 'steampunk' world of humans and mechanicals. What was it like revisiting that world for Moonlocket?

- It was fantastic fun to revisit the world of Cogheart in Moonlocket. I loved having a chance to expand the characters of Lily, Robert and Malkin and take them off on a new adventure — one filled with catastrophe and courage, hidden lockets and escaped convicts.

- There is a mystery at the heart of the story, which Lily and Robert have to solve, c
Seema Rao
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enchanting ~ Fast-Paced ~ Captivating

tl;dr: Even young people can foil criminal masterminds

This book feels like a classic. A girl and boy must foil an evil mastermind who is seeking the Moonlocket. It's the second in the series. I haven't read the first book, but I didn't need it to love this book. The world=building is amazing. It is 19th century London but different. The characters are charming, and their interactions sweet. I loved that there is technology but also humanity. This book is a wo
Joey Susan
Thank you so much to North Star Editions/Jolly Fish Press who sent me an ebook through NetGalley to review of MoonLocket written by Peter Bunzel.

The story is a Victorian era steampunk story that follows two kids Lily and Robert and Malkin (a mechanical fox). A prisoner who goes by Jack of Diamonds is on the loose and hunting to find his rare diamond he lost and the moonlocket. This takes the kids on an adventure as they have to escape away from him as he believes Robert knows where it is. Lily g
Zoe Wood
The second story of Lily and Robert on a cogheart adventure. An action packed story with plenty of twist and turns to keep the reader guessing. This story raises some brilliant issues such as belonging and feeling like you don't fit in. It shows the importance of friendship, and how it is sometimes more important than family, and how a these relationships can get you through hard times. I can't wait to read the third book! ...more
Rebecca
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the Cogheart series and explores Robert’s story more than Lily’s.

On his quest to find his mother he finds more than he bargains for in the best & worst ways, discovering he has more family than he thought.

Lily & Robert are solving a mystery in Victorian London that could explain everything. They also wonder if family has to be the one you’re born from, or if it’s something created through love & trust.
Sabrina
Dec 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This time the focus is more on Robert, who finds a mysterious moonlocket and has to find out what the link is with his mother and the rest of his family. Meanwhile escaped criminal Jack of Diamonds seems to be after the locket too.
As usual, poor Malkin is trying in vain to keep the kids from getting into too much trouble but they don't listen and instead they are off on an adventure to London via airship.
Deborah
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this to my daughter and easily enjoyed it as much as her! An exhilarating adventure full of mystery and intrigue, written with ingenuity and an empathy that touched the heart. Wonderful characters and a perspective on Victorian London that I simply loved! Together with Cogheart they make fabulous reading for any child aged 8+
Anniken Haga
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mg, steampunk, 2018
This was a bit of a let-down after book one in the series.
There was still the whole steampunk-element, and I rather enjoy the British language and style, but the story didn't really captivate me.
Despite that, I enjoyed it, and flew through it - as much as I can these days - so will be interested in reading another book in this series, if there ever is one.
Ms. Yingling
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Public library copy

At some point, I will realize that Steampunk does not do well in my library and I'll quit reading the books. If I can't get Gratz's fantastic League of Seven or Ross' The Fog Diver to check out, there is no need for me to buy this or Cogheart. Sigh.
15kyriacouP
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Moonlocket is a fantastic sequel to the first book (cogheart.) It is a gripping tale written in Victorian London. And I would definitely recommend it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The House of One Hundred Clocks
  • The Smoking Hourglass (The Uncommoners #2)
  • The Battle for Perfect (Perfect, #3)
  • A Sprinkle of Sorcery (A Pinch of Magic, #2)
  • The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • The Castle of Tangled Magic
  • The Strangeworlds Travel Agency (Strangeworlds Travel Agency #1)
  • A Pinch of Magic (A Pinch of Magic, #1)
  • The House at the Edge of Magic
  • A Place Called Perfect (Perfect, #1)
  • The Frozen Telescope (The Uncommoners #3)
  • The Mystery of the Jewelled Moth (The Sinclair’s Mysteries #2)
  • The Trouble with Perfect (Perfect, #2)
  • Peril in Paris (Taylor & Rose Secret Agents, #1)
  • Gargantis (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #2)
  • Darkwhispers
  • Brightstorm
  • The Garden of Lost Secrets
See top shelves…
Peter Bunzl grew up in South London in a rambling Victorian house with three cats, two dogs, one little sister, an antique dealer dad, and an artist mum. As a child he found inspiration visiting TV and film sets, where his mum worked as a costume designer.

After art college and film school, Peter worked as an animator on commercials, pop videos, and two BAFTA-winning children’s TV shows, and wrote

The Cogheart Adventures (4 books)
  • Cogheart (The Cogheart Adventures, #1)
  • Skycircus (The Cogheart Adventures, #3)
  • Shadowsea (The Cogheart Adventures, #4)

News & Interviews

“There’s no point living in fear of what might be when it prevents you enjoying the freedom of what is.” 7 likes
“Jack stepped through the crack into the night. Outside the yard was quiet and thick dark clouds hid the moon from view.” 2 likes