Start by marking “How Smoke Got Out of the Chimneys” as Want to Read:
How Smoke Got Out of the Chimneys

How Smoke Got Out of the Chimneys

4.5  ·  Rating details ·  6 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
London, England. 1840.

Gangs of four- and five-year-old orphans are being used as "apprentice" chimney sweeps--they're the only ones who can fit down the narrow chimneys, taking brushes and baskets down with them into upper-class Victorian homes to scrape out the creosote.

It's good for 'em, don'tcher know?

Caroline, a.k.a. the infamous Smoke, is one of the older orphans,
Published November 22nd 2016 by Wonderland Press

To ask other readers questions about How Smoke Got Out of the Chimneys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Smoke Got Out of the Chimneys

Annelise Lestrange
Review originally posted on The Book Adventures of Annelise Lestrange :)

*~.Book Analysis.~*
Just remembering that those were my impressions and opinion as a reader :)

PROS
The settings – DeAnna researched a lot and I felt like I was walking beside Caroline through London’s streets and chimneys, haha! Also, the adventure and fast pace are amazing. DeAnna balanced wonderfully heavy and serious themes with the fleeting pleasure of a childish adventure <3

CONS
This story was SO GOOD! I need to read mo
Silver Screen Videos
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
NOTE: The author graciously gave me a copy of this book and asked me to write a review.

Thanks to Charles Dickens, I grew up with the idea that lower class children in Victorian England invariably made their living as pickpockets working for unscrupulous adults only a half step up on the societal rung from themselves. While not strictly true, this notion provided me with some colorful imagery of the era I retain today. Now, Deanna Knippling shows readers a slight, but in its own way memorable, va
Kaye Booth
The short story How Smoke Got Out of the Chimneys by Deanna Knippling captures the tone of old England to perfection. Knippling has created a likeable main character in Smoke, a sharp young girl on the street who eeks out her living as a chimney sweep, and as one follows her brief tale, one can’t help but long to see her succeed. Short, but well crafted and quite entertaining, this tale is everything a short story should be.

Read my full review on my blog: https://kayelynnebooth.wordpress.com/...
David Caldwell
Smoke is one of the child chimney sweeps of London. But she has a problem. She is growing up and will soon no longer be able to be a chimney sweep. She needs to find a way out before she is forced out.

This is a fun little story. It has a good premise, flows well, and is a nice mix of intrigue, adventure and even a little humor.
Richard
Jesse Swartzwelder
Sep 17, 2017
Jennifer Goins
Nov 30, 2017
DeAnna Knippling is a freelance writer, editor, and designer living in Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA. She has published short stories in numerous publications, including Black Static, Big Pulp, Crossed Genres, Penumbra, and more. She runs her own micropress at http://www.WonderlandPress.com.
More about DeAnna Knippling