Start by marking “Little Comfort (Hester Thursby Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Little Comfort (Hester Thursby Mystery, #1)

Little Comfort

(Hester Thursby Mystery #1)

In a brilliantly twisted debut set among Boston’s elite, Edwin Hill introduces unforgettable sleuth Hester Thursby—and a missing persons case that uncovers a trail of vicious murder...

Harvard librarian Hester Thursby knows that even in the digital age, people still need help finding things. Using her research skills, Hester runs a side business tracking down the lost.
Published August 28th 2018 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Little Comfort, please sign up.
Jill Unfortunately the main character, a petite woman, sounds like Don Corleone.

Start your review of Little Comfort (Hester Thursby Mystery, #1)
Jenny
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Little Comfort by Edwin Hill reminds of a box of Cracker Jacks. It has a little something for everyone along with a surprise waiting for you at the end.
4' 9-3/4", Hester Thursby, may be small in stature but she is a feisty force of nature. She is on leave from her full-time job as a Harvard Librarian. to take care of three year old Kate, the daughter of her wayward best friend, Daphne, and also the niece of her live-in boyfriend, Morgan.
Hester, not one to sit still and become June Cleaver, is
Gail C.
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes a book with well written characters.
A huge thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Books for providing me with an advanced digital copy of Little Comfort by Edwin Hill, one of the best books I’ve read all year. As the book opens, you settle in, thinking the mystery and its solution is going to take place through the actions of a heroine who is an expert at using internet and other searches to resolve problems for her clients. The first characters you meet are drawn with just enough detail for you to get a glimpse of who they are, ...more
Jenny
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it

Hester, not one to sit still and become June Cleaver, is
Katie
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Sue Grafton
The independent and spirited missing person's detective Hester Thursby has helped fill the hole in my heart left by the absence of new Sue Grafton books featuring Kinsey Milhone. While Kinsey is a California gal and Hester has a background as a reference librarian at Harvard University in Massachusetts on the East Coast (my alma mater), they share a similar mindset and fierce loyalty and independence for a non-traditional family. Hester still keeps her own apartment on the top story of a three ...more
Kristy
Hester Thursby is a Harvard research librarian with a knack for finding things. She's good at research, so when Lila Blaine comes to her, asking for help finding her long-lost brother, Sam, Hester figures it will be another easy job in what has become a side-business for her. Hester has some extra time, as she's on leave from her job as she and her partner, Morgan, try to navigate life with his niece, Kate, whom they are caring for since her own mom has disappeared. But finding Sam--who may have ...more
Libby
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Edwin Hill creates some great characters in 'Little Comfort.' Hester Thursby is on leave from her job at the Harvard Library. Sometimes she helps find people...like the biological parents of adopted children, etc., but Lila Blaine wants her to find her kid brother Sam, who disappeared twelve years ago when he was fourteen. Sam ran away with his best friend Gabe DiPursio, same age as him. Now they're twenty-six. Lila wants to sell their lake property 'Little Comfort' and settle up with Sam. They ...more
Elaine
Sep 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I should have been suspicious of Little Comfort when I saw all the positive reviews.

I wanted to like this one; any series with a strong female lead gets my attention. But I disliked this way more than I expected.

** Minor spoilers ahead **

Hester Thursby is a librarian in Boston who finds missing people on the side.

She is shacked up with her boyfriend, Morgan, and caring for Kate, the daughter of her best friend and Morgan's twin sister.

When a client named Lila seeks Hester's help in locating
Carlissa
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery/thriller fans
Debut novels are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you'll get. With this book you'll get interesting characters and an enjoyable summer read. I definitely recommend this book and look forward to more from this author.

My thanks to Netgalley, the publisher, and the author for giving me the chance to read and review.
Linda Zagon
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Linda's Book Obsession Reviews "Little Comfort" by Edwin Hill, Kensington Publishing, July 30, 2019

Edwin Hill, Author of "Little Comfort" has written a captivating, intriguing, intense, riveting, edgy, thrilling, and suspenseful novel. The Genres for this novel are Mystery and Suspense, Thriller and Fiction. The timeline for this story is in the presents and goes to the past when it pertains to the characters and events. The author describes his dramatic cast of characters as complex, and
Maine Colonial
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, thriller
Thanks to the publisher, Kensington Books, for lending me a digital ARC via Netgalley.

I picked this book on impulse, because I liked the idea of a librarian private detective, but it turns out that I’ve now found a brand-new favorite main character. Hester Thursby is 4’9”—whoops, make that 9-3/4” because it’s important to her—and it irritates her no end that people sometimes treat her like she’s a doll. She’s not angry about it, but she doesn’t let people demean her or treat her differently
Tiffany PSquared
"...and as much as Hester fought for independence, nothing frightened her more than the thought of being abandoned."

Hester Thursby may be small in stature, but she's big on moxie! When she's not working at Harvard's Widener library, she's a people-finder and she's working a case for Lila who is searching for her long-lost brother. But how easy can it be to find a missing person (or a person in hiding) with not only a long-eared basset hound in tow, but also her new charge - three-year-old Kate,
Judy Lesley
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Books for a digital galley of this novel.

This novel kept me guessing for quite a long time regarding which type of thriller I was going to find. As the story began to unfold I was intrigued by what purpose some of the characters had in the plot and that information was given to me by the author in such a good way that I continued to want to read the story. I will usually chose not to read a book that features too much family and especially kid time because I
Also Alice
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ahhhhhh! This was so, so good. I’d go so far as to say it is one of the best books I’ve read this year (and I read a lot of books). Partway through I realised I was reading something special that I had to force myself to slow down and savour it. I knew I would be forlorn when it ended.

One of the reasons why I like this story so much is that it is my favourite style of mystery/thriller. Rather than a “whodunit”, it’s a “WHYdunnit”. You find out pretty early who is up to no good but Hill slowly
Lesa
I'm not into creepy characters and thrillers. Occasionally, I read one, sometimes by accident. And, I don't like women and children in jeopardy books. If you like books with menacing atmospheres and intense scenes, you might want to try Edwin Hill's debut mystery, Little Comfort.

Hester Thursby is a librarian at Harvard, but she's on leave right now. Her best friend, Daphne, took off one night while Hester and her partner, Morgan, Daphne's brother, were out with friends. And, Daphne left her
Diane Hernandez
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
It is amazing such an accomplished thriller with multiple plot lines was written by a debut author. Kudos to Edwin Hill for the marvelous PI/thriller/family drama, Little Comfort!

Hester lives in a separate apartment in the same building as her boyfriend Morgan. Morgan’s twin sister, Daphne, and her three-year-old Kate live in the third apartment. Daphne leaves Kate alone in Morgan’s apartment with a note stating she would return in an hour. Three months later, Daphne is still missing. Hester has
Katie
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMY
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
just finished reading it. i read the entire book in one day -- it was THAT GRIPPING.
Judy Hall
Hester Thursby's life is a little complicated right now. On leave from her day job in Harvard's library, she is taking care of her long-time partner's niece, 3 year old Kate. She accepts an assignment from her secondary job of finding people. Lila travels down from New Hampshire to ask Hester to find her little brother Sam.

Hester finds Sam quickly, but that's just the beginning of the story as Hester becomes curious about the true reason why Lila is finally searching for Sam after all these
Chase Hackett
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had a great time with this. I loved all the characters, even (or especially) the bad ones, and they are baaaad. It’s a terrific, suspenseful, scary book.
One warning: Calling it a “Hester Thursby Mystery” makes it sound like a cozy one—and whatever this book is, cozy it isn’t. It’s violent and pretty seriously creepy. Be prepared.
c.t.h.
Linda Quinn
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This fast-paced thriller pits a kickass reference librarian against a pair of serial killers. What’s different about this book is the nuanced characterizations of the killers that will keep your emotions unbalanced for the entirety of the book.
AD
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First in what I hope is a long series. Hester Thursby is a Boston librarian with a basset hound named Waffles. Despite these trappings, this is far from a cozy mystery, alternating between multiple perspectives. I think it's one of the best I've read this year.
Joann Garrido
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At about the halfway point of this book I realized that I didn’t want to put it down. A thoroughly entertaining read. Can’t wait for more in this series!!
Gail C.
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Linda Baker
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first thing I want to say about the debut novel, Little Comfort, is that it was not what I expected. The description ticked specific boxes: librarian, amateur sleuth, missing person, New England setting. All those boxes indicated a straightforward, undemanding, somewhat escapist mystery, at least to me. How much trouble can a librarian get into? A tremendous amount evidently.

Hester Thursby is 36 years old, 4 foot.9 (and 3/4) inch librarian at Harvard University. She has a rather odd living
Missi Martin (Stockwell)
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you go online and read the brief summary of Little Comfort by Edwin Hill, it starts by saying “In a brilliantly twisted debut” (see above) and those two words describe this story remarkedly well. This is a brilliant story and a twisted tale. I can’t even begin to explain the story….not because it is difficult to describe but trying to tell you, a potential reader, what to expect and trying to do that in a few paragraphs will not give this story and the author it’s worth.

I can tell you that
Kari
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, audiobook
I'm always on the hunt for good mysteries that have strong female detectives. I had high hopes for Little Comfort and was pleasantly surprised with the book. It's the first book in a series featuring Hester Thursby who is a Harvard librarian who uses old fashioned research to find lost people. As the story opens, she is on leave to help take care of her boyfriend's niece. She decides to take a missing person case that seems pretty straight forward.

I enjoyed this one. I really liked Hester's
Lisa Eirene
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting little mystery thriller. Hester is a librarian at the Harvard Library. As a side job, she's also a kind of private investigator who finds people. Her new client, Lila, asks her to find her long lost brother, Sam, who ran away with his childhood friend, Gabe, after a mystery incident in their teens.

It doesn't take Hester more than a few days to find Sam, who over the years has changed his name half a dozen times, moved around the country and infiltrated rich communities
Helen Lamont-dempsey
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing debut novel!!! Instantly loved Hester and can’t wait to follow the character development in the novels to follow.Met the author Edwin Hill at a book club and was extremely impressed by his thought process as an author. I can’t wait to read his 2nd book next month. I would highly recommend Little Comfort and look forward to the Hester Thursby series continuing as long as the Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penny!
Susan Peterson
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Set aside your preconceived notions that librarians are meek and mild bookworms, because Hester Thursby might be a librarian, but she is small and mighty! Hester uses her research skills for her side business of locating missing persons, putting herself in some dangerous situations. This book is intriguing, twisty, and compelling that will set your heart racing!
Linda Atkinson
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Looking forward to book 2
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: LITTLE COMFORT by Edwin Hill (New book) 2 218 Oct 09, 2018 10:06AM

• Scarred: Trey and Autumn (Cliffside Bay Book 8)
  • The Magic of the Season (Christmas in Silver Falls #2)
  • An Unsettled Grave (A Santero and Rein Thriller #2)
  • Mrs. Morris and the Ghost (Salem B&B Mystery #1)
  • Paper Son (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #12)
  • Wildflower Christmas (The Wildflower House #3)
  • The Murder List
  • A Dream of Death (Kate Hamilton Mysteries #1)
  • Christmas Wedding (Cliffside Bay Series)
  • A Borrowing of Bones (Mercy & Elvis Mysteries #1)
  • A Better Man (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #15)
  • Odd Partners: An Anthology
  • Some Choose Darkness
  • One Night Gone
  • Knit 2 Purl 2 Kill 2
  • Lady in the Lake
  • Deception Cove (Neah Bay, #1)
  • The Stranger Inside
Edwin Hill is the author of the critically-acclaimed Hester Thursby mystery series. His first novel, Little Comfort, was nominated for an Agatha Award for best debut. The second in the series, The Missing Ones, published in September of 2019.

Visit his website for more information.

(A note from the author on rating other writers: I used to be more critical of writers' work but these days only

Hester Thursby Mystery (2 books)
  • The Missing Ones (Hester Thursby Mystery #2)