Start by marking “The Last Detective” as Want to Read:
The Last Detective

The Last Detective

It's been two years since the invasion.

Two years since the slicks came to our planet and herded humanity together like cattle, placing us under constant watch in the few cities that remain. The lucky ones are left to their own devices. The unlucky few are rounded up and carted off to labor camps to face an unknown fate.

Former homicide detective Adrian Grace was cut off
Published December 1st 2016 by Pandamoon Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Last Detective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Detective

Start your review of The Last Detective
Richard Bunning
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mixed genre- well put together; no, very well put together. Those that love murder mystery will find themselves comfortably stationed within a science fiction world and vice versa. I love writing that can shatter walls between genres, between readers fixed ideas of like, and this book does that well.
We are in a recently invaded world by a civilisation of ‘slicks’ that mankind is still far short of understanding. Human society is in a state of decay, if not quite chaotic dissolution, as the alien
Susan Hampson
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-reads
Well this little gem just jumps right out at you. I really enjoy a book wherethe author thinks out of the box, or in this case the world, bringing together the aftermath of an Alien invasion withan unthinkable murderthat rocks the fragile existence of mankind. When the body of an murderedAlien is discovered there is only one option to take and that is to send forthe last detective. All of the other detectives were killed in the invasion 2 years before.
Adrian Grace hates his self because he
Olga Miret
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A symbiosis of the genres of the noir detective novel and science-fiction with a hero with a dark-sense of humour and a heart Thanks to Rosie Amber for organising Rosie’s Book Review Team and for providing this great opportunity for reviewers and authors to meet. If you’re an author, check here how to submit your books to the team.
I don’t read many purely science-fiction books (I’m not a big fan of lengthy descriptions, and world-building can take a fair amount of space while I generally care
Matt Coleman
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Remember the first time you put chips on a sandwich? And you were like, "Holy crap ... I knew I liked chips ... and I knew I liked sandwiches ... but ..." Well, I knew I liked alien stuff. And I knew I liked hard boiled detective fiction. But ... this is SO much fun. If you have ever watched District 9 and thought, I wish this had a murder mystery at its core, this book was written specifically for you. Fantastic debut.
Terry Tyler
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a free review copy for this book, which is reviewed by me for Rosie Amber's Review Team.

Before the alien invasion, Adrian Grace was a cop. Then the 'slicks' arrived, and their word is law. Two years later, Adrian is ekeing out a dreary existence in a motel, with his family far away in Boston. A group of the city dwellers work for the Authority, and police the population according to the rules of the slicks. Food is short, there is little fuel, and life is one of darkness and danger,
Francis
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brian Cohn blends the classic detective story with an alien invasion into a thoughtful and incredibly entertaining read. The Last Detective, Detective Grace is tasked with finding the killer of one of the new alien overlords called "slicks". The novel is full of rich detail on the day to day lives of the survivors who struggle to make it on their weekly rations and the constant threat of being sent to work camps from which no one has returned. Cohn brings the goods on this twist on a classic ...more
Peter Bradley
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction

Please give my Amazon review a helpful vote - https://www.amazon.com/review/RAIA5O0...

Alien Invasion/Mystery Mash-up

Adrian Grace was working as a police detective in an unnamed city when the aliens arrived with their massive spaceships. Humanity fought back and lost big. Confined to their cities, which serve as ghettoes, and periodically drafted into labor battalions by human collaborators, things are not looking bright for mankind. In the midst of a radically changed world, Grace is called back
Elgon Williams
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A search for humanity in an inhuman world.

As a rule, I’m not a fan of novels written in first person present tense, but I cannot think of this story being told as effectively in any other way. The immediacy lent to the telling, putting the reader not only inside Adrian Grace’s head but also his person drives a compelling story. You feel everything he feels while experiencing the detective’s logical processes in solving a complicated case. As the thin evidence is examined and the sparse leads
Jessica Bronder
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Two years ago the aliens landed on Earth. Those that fought back were destroyed. Those that were left were sent to work camps. Adrian Grace was a homicide detective that has been asked to look into the death of an alien, also called Slicks because of their coloring. Grace doesn’t want to be one of those humans that works with the Slicks but they dangle his wife and daughter in front of him, who could refuse that offer. It seems someone has killed a Slick and they want Grace to find out who did ...more
Lynne Hinkey
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Whether you’re a fan of sci-fi fan, hard-boiled detective stories, or mysteries, this book will appeal to you. Yes, it crosses genre lines, but in such a seamless manner and with such elegant prose, even purists of any one of those genres will be satisfied. But, don’t grab this if you’re looking for a cozy mystery. The violence isn’t gratuitous but some of it is graphic. The superb writing and editing (the few errors stand out because of their paucity), and complex plotting of The Last Detective ...more
Caro Soles
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful fusion of sf and detective novels and it works beautifully. An alien invasion two years ago has left the huge city hopeless, hungry and despairing. In his old life, our hero was a detective, but he has not joined the alien-controlled "authority" force. Life is hard but he has standards.

Then an silent, a 'slick' as they call them, is shot and the aliens are at a loss. They call on him to solve the crime.

I enjoyed the atmosphere and characters in this book and how familiar
Marni Port
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Solid first entry in a series. Diamond, the "Last Detective," is an unsympathetic lead though. At least until the end, when he bizarrely figures out who did what to whom. The story works best when told through the other characters' perspectives. Not sure if Diamond is compelling enough to give 2nd in series a try. The last chapters-switching from investigation to trial--seemed unnecessary.
Lawrence Lewis
I purchased this book last month, and found it a quick and most enjoyable read. The underlying story was imaginative, with a noir fiction feel. The characters are real and memorable, and the plot has enough twists and turns to make this a real page turner. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes a good sci-fi detective story. I look forward to Cohn's next book.
Stephan Morse
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book mashes together classic detective style attitude from the sixties with an occupation by aliens. Both topics on their own can be interesting, but together I found it outright riveting. The aliens focus purely on betterment of their races, everything for the greater good, individuals mean nothing. This made an interesting dynamic but also left a lot of questions regarding the larger picture unanswered.

Generalizing the plot is difficult without giving spoilers. The blurb shown for this
Laura Ellen
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I know this might not be healthy, but I love dystopian crime stories. With THE LAST DETECTIVE, Brian Cohn grabs a barstool between Ben Winters and China Miéville, and more than holds his own with this story of a human detective forced by alien authorities ("slicks") to investigate the shooting death of one of their own. This is a chilling tale of oppression, subversion, and best of all--mystery. I bought this book even though I could have gotten a review copy for free.
Sarah Stephens
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cohn perfectly captures the tone and nuance of the classic hard-boiled detective novel, but with a sci-fi twist that keeps the story fresh and captivating. The dystopian world Cohn creates immerses the reader into the bleak future of Det. Adrian Grace and the sense of strain and menace of the newly occupied society inhabited by both Slicks and Humans is complexly rendered. Full of twists and turns, The Last Detective will keep you turning the pages until the surprising and satisfying ending!
Jeff Messick
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a finely crafted mystery, that could have easily taken place outside of the backdrop of alien invasion, yet that backdrop was the very thing that makes this story stand out. The author crafts a tale of mystery and intrigue, giving the reader a very good look into the minds of those on the brink of desperation. When hope is gone, what is left for humanity?

Alien noir. Loved it.
Amy Shannon
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting Detective Twist

I like this story and it was interesting, as the crime has to do with Aliens. Yes, that's right, aliens. It's an easy flowing read and its filled with thrilling twists. A real page turner. The story has great detail and the reader can picture being side by side with the survivors. Detective Grace has an interesting case, and it's a grand mystery.
Penni Jones
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brian Cohn's debut novel THE LAST DETECTIVE flawlessly blends detective noir with science fiction dystopian. Cohn suspends your disbelief on page one, then pulls you along for a suspenseful ride. It's a thoughtful read that will keep your mind going long after you put it down.

Cohn's debut is a smart, page-turning thriller. I can't wait to see what's next from this author.
Cheri Champagne
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Last Detective drew me in from the first sentence. The story is suspenseful, and kept me eagerly flipping the pages to find out what happens. I absolutely loved it! Well done, Brian Cohn!
Kalle
Craig Thompson
Sep 18, 2018
Thomas Sims
Jan 13, 2017

• Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
  • The Invisible Wife (Lee Callaway #4)
  • The Barefoot Summer
  • Hostage
  • Fried Windows... In a Light White Sauce
  • Her Mother's Grave (Detective Josie Quinn, #3)
  • A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole, #18; Joe Pike, #7)
  • Her Final Confession (Detective Josie Quinn #4)
  • The Bones She Buried (Detective Josie Quinn #5)
  • Her Cowboy Billionaire Best Friend (Christmas in Coral Canyon, #1)
  • Twilight Christmas: A Carolina Coast Novella (Carolina Coast Stories Book 3)
  • Evening in the Yellow Wood
  • Dirty English (English, #1)
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Stay Hidden (Mike Bowditch, #9)
  • Bad Little Falls (Mike Bowditch, #3)
  • Homer Underby