Start by marking “The Other Woman” as Want to Read:
The Other Woman

The Other Woman

Shortly after Christmas, a message arrives at Sophie's house, scrawled across her own round robin newsletter: He's Going To Leave You. Let's See How Smug You Are Then, You Stupid Bitch. Perhaps she should ignore it, but she ignored the last one. And the one before that. Now it's time to take action.

But when a simple plan to identify and confront the other woman goes drasti
Published October 5th 2017 by Quercus

Start your review of The Other Woman
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Sullivan hates this part of the job: the split second before you say the words while they guess from your face why you're there, and how you'd give anything not to have to say it, and they'd give anything not to have to hear it; then the bewildered denial, the growing comprehension, the wait for the anguished spasm of the face, the tears...

When Sullivan's delivered death messages before, its been in slab-grey housing estates where mothers with scraped back hair and bad complexions swear
Hans
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sophie is acting on an accusation received by post. She is trying to control things. But it all turns awry. The telling of is story is very well done. A very entertaining thriller which had me hooked from the very start.
Judith
Jul 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
In the depths of rural Norfolk live Sophie and Leo Hamilton and two of their three children. Poppy and Zac are typical opinionated teenagers, given to surliness, selfishness and tiresome arguments, whilst Archie is away at university. Life is perfect. Or is it? No indeedy, it is not. Bad Things are about to happen....

Sophie has the nauseating habit of sending all her friends and acquaintances – well over one hundred and fifty of them – a round-Robin letter at Christmas. One of them is sickened b
Rachael
May 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
The good:
It’s set in Norfolk, yay.

The bad:
Everything else.

This was bloody awful. A tragicomic farce, just laughable really, sorry.
Liz Barnsley
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really excellent addition to the ranks of "Domestic Noir" here from Laura Wilson, a writer whose previous novels I have also loved - she just does characters so well, layering in little gems of motivation and influence, the kind that affects us all.

In this a husband is suspected of an affair after some rather nasty poison pen letters - unfortunately things go rather awry, what follows is a twisted yet authentic tale, a true family drama with added oomph that keeps you involved all the way to i
Joanne Robertson
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What I love about Laura Wilson is that she’s never afraid to mix it up a little within her preferred genre. I’ve been a huge fan ever since I read and adored Hello Bunny Alice a few years ago now. She then wrote a series of historical crime novels, one of which I loved was A Capital Crime which was based on the real life case of serial killer John Christie. A couple of years ago I noticed that she had gone back to writing modern day psychological thrillers with The Wrong Girl, a tale of dysfunct ...more
Clare
With thanks to Netgalley and Quercus for this ARC in exchange for an open and honest review.

Sophie Hamilton lives in Norfolk with her husband Leo, teenage kids Poppy, Zak and Dexter the labrador. Sophie lives a comfortable middle class life with a Romanian au-pair and a cleaner. As a hobby she owns a high class gift store called Hamilton Dr Witt with best friend Melissa.

Every year she sends a round robin letter in her christmas cards to over 150 friends and acquaintances. For the last two years
The Book Whisperer (aka Boof)
Have you ever seen the comedy series “Worst Week of My Life”? Or even “Meet the Parents” where Ben Stiller’s character just keeps getting deeper and deeper into trouble and it’s excruciating but hilarious? That’s exactly how I found this book: one minute reading through my fingers and cringing, the next wiping away a tear of laughter.

I loved it! Sophie, the central character is so believable with her keeping-up-appearances lifestyle and careful planning of the yearly Hamilton family Christmas ca
Vaseem Khan
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This latest entry into the domestic noir/psychological suspense stable by Laura Wilson gets us straight into the action with a mysterious note threatening to shatter the idyllic home life of diligent 'suburbicon' housewife and mother Sophie. Wilson lulls us into a false sense of security before delivering a sucker punch about a third of the way through, propelling Sophie into a gut-wrenching predicament. But that is nothing compared to the second major twist nearer the end of the book, one that ...more
Bookread2day
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Sophie lives in a bubble, she thinks that everyone wants to know how well she's doing, and doesn't seem to ask anyone about their life. When Sophie received a letter saying Leo and I have been having an affair for over two years and now he's going to leave you. Let's see how smug you are then, you stupid bitch. If her husband Leo was having an affair who could it possibly be. Sophie goes through the list of possibilities. I didn't see the twist coming and that's why I recommen ...more
Lisa-Marie Forge
I didn’t like this book. At all. But. I can’t give it one star because it wasn’t badly written. The plot wasn’t bad. I just didn’t like it.

I think it was supposed to be funny? I’m not sure. Not the book for me!

But the author can write!!!!
Kath
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
And the prize for marmite book of the year goes to...!
Well, that's what I think anyway. I finished it a fair few days ago and I am still not sure whether I enjoyed it or not. The basic premise is a wee bit on the daft side and what follows just plain old degenerates into farce going hand in hand with some delicious black comedy. I am going out on a limb here but some of it was rather Ortonesque in nature but not quite as close to the knuckle as what dear old Joe would have written.
If I judge a
Fluff Smut & Murder
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Please please please tell me someone out there found this more of a comedy of errors instead of a suspense book (just like me!) I felt like Sophie was basically living out a bad "B" movie and I was along for the ride and loving everything that was happening to her. ...more
Shelby (shelbyymay)
Here we have one of the most unlikable main characters, so full of herself and selfish, that she writes 'updates' about her and her family's luxurious life in the form of a christmas card to 150 odd people. And on occassion, Sophie's (MC) little christmas cards, or newsletter, get returned with dissatisfied comments. But on this occasion, a card is returned stating that someone is having an affair with her husband and he is going to leave her. Original? Probably not.

So here is problem number on
Sue Wallace
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The other woman by laura wilson.
But when a simple plan to identify and confront the other woman goes drastically and violently wrong, Sophie must go to extreme lengths to keep her life and her family
Jacob Collins
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
All of my reviews can be found at: https://hookedfrompageoneblog.wordpre...

The Other Woman is the first book by Laura Wilson which I have read and I can certainly say that I’ll be looking out for more from Laura. The Other Woman makes for a compulsive read and it will keep you reading well into the night. It is taut and full of suspense. I highly recommend it to fans of psychological thrillers.

Sophie lives a comfortable, middle class lifestyle. Her husband, Leo has a successful career in the cit
Helen Eddon
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sophie had the perfect life - a successful husband, three high achieving children, a beautiful house, an apartment in London and trips to glamorous holiday destinations. Every Christmas, she details her family's achievements, New purchases and exciting holidays in a round robin letter. When one of her letters is returned, calling her a smug birch and implying that her husband is having an affair, Sophie does not react rationally. Instead of ignoring the letter or confronting her husband, she dec ...more
Nicky Mottram
Apr 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Audio version of this book 📚 DNF terrible storyline, boring not gripping at all
Hazel Roberts
Dec 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
did not finish book. Turgid
Sue K
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sophie Hamilton has it all. Lovely house in Norfolk, 3 children (one backpacking in Borneo); husband, Leo, who works in the City and lives in his London pad during the week; a shop she runs with her friend Melissa, au-pair, cleaner and of course the obligatory black Labrador. Every year she sends out a round robin letter enclosed in Christmas cards to 150 odd people telling them how wonderful their life is, how the children are doing at their exorbitantly expensive schools, what wonderful holida ...more
sharon featherston
Must read for 2018 !
A Davis
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
The Other Woman is an odd book.

It started slow, for me, and i thought it was going to be a tale of a privileged house wife whining and moaning about her husbands potential affair. It quickly took a dramatic turn and hooked me in, so I was really excited to keep reading.

But it soon became disjointed again. It was funny in parts, where I'm not sure it was supposed to be, and downright disgusting in others, though perhaps that's testament to good descriptions. I certainly could picture it all.

Didn
Julie Lacey
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book will take you through a real rollercoaster of emotions which will keep you gripped throughout.
Sophie is certain her husband Leo is having an affair and starts to check up on him and his week-day life in London.
What then transpires is breathtaking and moves at a really fast pace right up until the end.
I can't say too much more about the story without spoiling it but I will say this is a fantastic read and I highly recommend it.
Thanks to NetGalley and Quercus for sending me an advanc
Sue
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Sold as a psychological thriller but the ‘comedy’ writing was farcical. I thought I had the wrong book inside a cover which promised a good read. If you want to laugh, for all the wrong reasons, read it, otherwise don’t bother. No twists, no characters you could empathise with. Nothing. Glad I didn’t spend £20 on the hardback. Sorry.
Ali Bookworm
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant read this was! Started off a little slow and I was beginning to wonder where it was going..and then BAM!! I simply could not put it down wondering how Sophie was going to deal with her dilemma. It flowed well and was so fast paced with so much happening and all the twists and turns I felt rather exhausted...and as for the ending...perfect! A thoroughly recommended read.
owlsandstags
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sophie has nothing to worry about; her life is as perfect as the little girl she once was imagined it to be all those years ago. Her husband Leo has a wonderful job with a large income, her children are doing well in school (or at least one of them is), her shop is slowly yet surely taking off and yet those mystery letters are about to destroy it all. When the plot first opened with Sophie writing her tradition Christmas letters, boasting about her family, I actually didn’t like her – I thought ...more
Karen Whittard
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm going to be honest in my review as after all that is what I review the book for. To give my honest review. I always hate to give less then sparkling reviews. Buts sadly you can't get along with every book you read.

The other woman for me was just one of those books which I didn't click with. For me I felt that it was a little slow and I didn't really feel any emotional connection with the characters.

There are lots of great description in this book and the tension was there when needed. All
Kerry
Mar 03, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Talie Delemere
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
The Other Woman is one of those books you find yourself racing through to finish and enjoy the process of reading but argue whether it's just so you can discover the conclusion?

This is a good book. It's not great and it's certainly not terrible. If you're a fan of domestic noir it's one to check out but if you really need a relationship with the character then maybe give it a miss.

Positives:
Pacing, despite being set against a quiet rural background with fairly domesticated not too exciting chara
Sue G
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
The question is how to review the book without giving too much away. So the title tells you that there is another woman involved, the two-page first chapter takes place six months after the main story opens and tells the reader that at some point in the book someone will die. And there we have it because much more and I will spoil the book.

The main character is Sophie and she is the epitome of the smug, wealthy woman often found in these thrillers, she has it all but doesn't seem to realise it.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Second Wife
  • The House Share: Seven housemates. Seven lies. Would you dare to join?
  • Mother Loves Me
  • In Plain Sight (Detective Clare Mackay, #2)
  • The Bad Mother
  • Just Before I Died
  • Someone Else's Baby
  • The Heatwave
  • The Coffinmaker’s Garden (Ash Henderson, #3)
  • The House of New Beginnings
  • The Stranger's Wife (Detective Dan Riley, #3)
  • The Party
  • The Baby Group
  • The House
  • The Babysitter
  • The Escape
  • Little Bones
  • Just My Luck
There is more than one author with this name

Laura Wilson is an English crime-writer based in London, where she was born and raised. She has degrees in English Literature form Somerville College, Oxford, and University College London, and has worked as a teacher and editor of non-fiction.

Many of her novels have either a historical setting or a distinct historical connection, and often have split or