Start by marking “Thorn (Bears of Burden, #1)” as Want to Read:
Thorn (Bears of Burden, #1)

Thorn

(Bears of Burden #1)

Fortunately, fate doesn’t care one iota what they want, she’ll give ‘em what they need.

Allie McMichael is running scared. Not from monsters in the closet, or creepy things under the bed, she’s scared of commitment. She has every reason to be scared after experiencing the pain of infidelity and after watching her parents’ failure of a marriage. On the run from a would-be
Published November 26th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Thorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thorn

Start your review of Thorn (Bears of Burden, #1)
Kiki
3.5 stars, marked down because potential manwhorish ways!
They also both had TSTL tendencies.
They kinda deserved and were made for each other I'd say!
Bear's a good bear though!
Happy bear, loves his whiskey!
Stephanie
May 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Nope

Absolutely appalling. This book is about a manwhore, and he sleeps with someone else in the book before getting together with Allie. OW/OM stuff doesn't at all belong in a ROMANCE. How is outside the relationship romantic? It isn't. It's gross. I do not recommend this book at all. Besides that, it was just odd and not put together well. It felt rushed and weird. I really really didn't like it.
Coco.V
Nov 05, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (11/5/2019)! ...more
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Have you ever read a book and thought, wow this is actually better than I was expecting and then not even moments after that statement leaves your mouth that you read a line and you regret ever picking the book up?? Well that is how this book was for me. I was loving it, it was cute and fun and overall a cute short read...a solid 3.5 stars.....It was checking all my boxes until.... that one damn line made me want to throw my tablet out the window. So, shifter book as you may already know but the ...more
Jenn
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Not much too it

This moves rather quickly. One thing I will give it is love isn't mentioned. It talks about forever and being all in but I appreciated that no one was babbling on about I love you when they barely knew anything about each other. There's really not much to it. It's a decent story.
Wild_irish_rose
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by this author. I enjoyed the story, although I was a bit disturbed by Thorn's Player status. That aside the story was entertaining and I really liked Allie and how she came to value herself
Julie Jackson
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful read

Thorn and Allie’s story is amazing. Thorn is rough and rugged. He and his friends are all players. Allie is stranded and needs a job. Fate put these two together and even they can’t argue or fight this attraction. Awesome writing.
Tracy DeNeal
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thorn and Allie

Cute 1st person POV. I love my shifter stories and this one was no exception. Girl walks into a bar and shifter mate call ensues.
Stephanne88
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Good storyline

Felt like the storyline was good but didn't like how it was written. Changes from first person to third person.
Cassandra
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
My Thoughts - 4 out of 5 Unicorns - I really liked it!!!
***I choose what I read and review based on what intrigues me!!

The cover is great! I always love having both beasts on the cover!

This is the first book in the series, and it is for adults only due to the steamy content.

Candace Ayers is a new author for me. I bought the book to check out her work. I definitely liked it! I do love shifter books. When I bought it, there are several other stories after the book itself. When I finished reading
Marcia
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first book that I have read from this author. It is a very enjoyable volume, containing not only the title story, but includes a number of other shifter stories. The common theme, is most men, even those who are shifters and "know" their mate when they meet her, are still fairly clueless about relationships. Thorn is a bear shifter, who lives in the town of Burden, inhabited by many other bear shifters. He owns a bar and is a confirmed bachelor, mostly because of the poor example set ...more
Donna Feibusch
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome Read!!!

I loved reading THORN (Bears of Burden Book 1). All about Allie McMichael a young women in her twenties running from commitment and taking a very long road trip, till she runs out of gas & Hawthorn Canton a guy in his late twenties who owns a tavern and is a bear-shifter. The author wrote a story about a group of brother bears who are living their best bachelor days just waiting for their mate to come along. Allie walks into Cave Tavern and speaks to the bartender named Abram.
Samantha Pollitt
This is a firm three star.

This book is exactly what it says I the tin! The synopsis says it all, literally, not a great deal happens beyond what the synopsis details and I'm not saying that as a negative. If you want intricate plots, complex world building and in-depth characters this book is not for you.

It is a fun to ready steamy romance, if it was a chick flick film you'd love it as it has all the classic romance features. It has the quick-witted new girl, a handsome hunk of a man, the
Minga Dotson
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty decent shifter romance, plus a healing helping of shifter short romances.

A quick read, about how a girl gets a guy to see her as a woman, not just his kid sisters friend. The writer has a way with descriptions that draws you in. Therese some twists and turns in the story's plot to keep you entertained. A quick , fun read that left me wanting more, and that more was the whole bunch of extra stories after the end of the book that kept me busy for hours. Lots of hot action for adult readers
Donna
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Allie ran away from her old life and the would be fiancé who cheated on her. When her car runs out of gas she stumbles into Burden looking for a job. Timing is everything and Allie is hired on the spot to waitress and tend bar. Thorn is the handsome owner of the bar. Burden and the bar feel like home but she’s not sure why. The attraction between Thorn and Allie is immediately combustible but each has reasons to try to ignore it and that’s when things ramp up. Great start to a new series. Read ...more
Rasa Ievkalne
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was stupid.In the insta-love,insta-lust,sucked out of finger problems kind of way.Very short,very sex centered and annoyingly childish. Zero worldbuilding, zero character wise,only constant was smell of arousal, boner and both MCs in self turmoil about if they want to have a relationship or not.There is no feelings apart from jealousy and lust.

Recommend to :no one who is looking for a good shifter novel.
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Thorn is a bear shifter who is happy in his bachelor lifestyle...until he meets Allie. He believes she is his mate but he can't forget that his parents' mating did not have a happy ending. Allie knows she wants Thorn and that he wants her so she can't understand why he's being such a jerk about it.

This was fun, I liked Allie for the most part, Thorn and his friends were the jerks with hearts of gold, and everything turned out well in the end.
Brandi
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, LOVED this book! This was my first time reading this author and I'm upset that I hadn't found her sooner!!! Everything is great in this book: hot alpha male, strong sarcastic female, great supporting characters, and wonderful dialogue! In so many shifter books I've read lately, the dialogue was what I would think of naive teenagers having. This had everything. My only complaint... I wish it were longer! Going to read the next book right away!
Stacy Jordet
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked he character of Allie. She was a woman who was trying to figure out who she was and what she wanted in life. Having her car breakdown outside this small town was the best thing that ever happened to her. She was a natural working the bar and friendly to everyone.

Thorn was a playboy until a certain woman showed up but then he couldn't get her out of his head. My only issue with Thorn was how long it took him to realize/accept that Allie was his mate.
Tony Maddox
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Too predictable and immature

Couldn’t finish reading it. Characters were hot but situations were so predictable and like a cheesy re make of other stories . You could literally guess what was going to happen next and then just role your eyes. The main character was broke and worked s total of a day in a half and had enough money to get her hair done and buy make up to go out. The ex just shows up and on and on .....
Busybeth76
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Terrific, funny, sexy read

Thorn is a brute of a bear shifter. He owns a bar in Burden, TX and life is good with one night stands, Boehm buddies and freedom. Until iAllie wanders into town and he realizes she's his mate. He doesn't want a mate, and she's a human so she doesn't even know about mates. As these two fight the chemistry between them, there is witty dialogue, clever internal thinking, spurious exes and, finally, love. Great read.
Caroline Abreu
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Series Starter

I am an enormous shifter fan. Who wouldn't be? The idea of being swept away by what amounts to magic, even if the mundane world tries to get in the way. This is Thorn's book; he owns a bar in a small Texas town that Allie is drawn to by accident, and broke, ends up working for him. They both have issues, but they are nicely resolved for a HEA. Looking forward to the next bachelor bear already.
Judith
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shifter: Thorn

Excellent read. Thorn owns a bar in Burden Texas. Allie is running from her ex-borfriend/almost fiancé. Allie runs out of gas at the edge of town and wanders into the bar. She is offered a job as waitress/bartender. They live her. Thorn and Allie are drawn to each other. There are also many other novellas attached from shifter to sci-fi to vampires. Each is well written.
Jo-ann
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How can a town never visited feel like home?

Allie leaves a cheating relationship in North Carolina and runs out of gas in Burden, Texas - which for some reason feels like home as well as a weird deja' vu she feels toward Thorn. How will she feel toward him when she finds out that he is a bear shifter?

Come enjoy this interesting, sometimes funny story as well as other stories of strong women and Alpha men.

Jo-Ann Doyle
Lisa
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a short quick read that kept my interest. I loved how free spirited the female seemed. While Thorn was all tight and held everything together. But that chemistry they have....Phew! Its that intense and hot! To feel yourself “pulled” to another and the connection...wonderful.
This is an easy read that I loved for my first time of reading this author.
beth m
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it

Not bad, not super great. Just a mediocre shifter book that had little to no grammatical errors so, I can get down with that. This is a short story with very little plot line or conflict. Just a quick shifter read with a tiny little bit of steam. Not bad, but not overly exceptional.
lin
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thorn ( Bears of Burden Book 1 )

Thorn and Allie are so hot together. Each trying to escape heartbreak from their past. Not really trusting each, they make each other wonder where they are going and how can they be mates
Andrea Eleby
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One great series

I am absolutely in love with this author.I am slowly reading my way through this series. Well not slowly sense she pulls you in.great buy. You will not regret it
Cathy Pardue
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Solid 4, short paranormal romance

I really enjoyed this short story. I liked Thorne and his crew and I liked Allie. The author will have you cheering them on and hoping they figure it out.
Laura A Crouch
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great First Book in the Series

I really enjoyed the characters in this book. I will read more books in this series. The ending was a little rushed and the book could have been longer. But all round I enjoyed the book!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Defender Cave Bear (Protection, Inc: Defenders, #1)
  • Brock's Pleasure (Kodiak Dating Agency, #3)
  • Jake (Three Silverback Bears and a Baby Book 3)
  • Bearly Together (Green Valley Shifters, #4)
  • Quicksilver Dragon
  • The Golden Griffin's Baby (Shifter Dads #3)
  • Wildfire Sea Dragon (Fire & Rescue Shifters: Wildfire Crew, #3)
  • Dragon Meets Girl (Forgotten Dragons, #2)
  • Hector (Outback Shifters #1)
  • Protector Mate (MateMatch Outcasts, #2)
  • Max (Three Silverback Bears And A Baby, #1)
  • Dragon Assassin Single Daddy (F.I.R.E. Special Ops Dragons, #2)
  • The Pack's Mate (Woodland Packs #1)
  • Shifter Nanny Agency : (A Shifter Romance Box Set)
  • Her Secret Baby Bear (Burning Falls Shifters, #3)
  • A Dragon for Christmas (Shifters for Christmas Book 2)
  • Bitten By The Wolf (Hell's Wolves MC Book 5)
  • Tad (Three Silverback Bears and a Baby Book 2)

Bears of Burden (6 books)
  • Wyatt (Bears of Burden, #2)
  • Hutch (Bears of Burden, #3)
  • Sterling (Bears of Burden, #4)
  • Sam (Bears of Burden, #5)
  • Matt (Bears of Burden, #6)