Start by marking “Tower of the Forgotten (The Tainted Cabal #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Tower of the Forgotten (The Tainted Cabal #0.5)

Tower of the Forgotten

(The Tainted Cabal #0.5)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  141 ratings  ·  17 reviews
This is a standalone novella of 17,700 words set before the events of Revenant Winds.

Niklaus, master swordsman, has not aged a day since being chosen by his mercurial goddess. A slave to her will, he moves from one cryptic mission to the next in the hope of ascending to become her equal.

But even a man who has lived for centuries can sometimes find himself out of his depth.
Published May 16th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Tower of the Forgotten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tower of the Forgotten

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Tower of the Forgotten (The Tainted Cabal #0.5)
Ctgt
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Intriguing little tale set in the world of Mitchell Hogan's upcoming book Revenant Winds. We join master swordsman Nicklaus as he ventures into another mission. On a whisper from his goddess, a sorcerer of the Tainted Cabal is marked for death. Upon his approach to the sorcerer's building he joins forces with a local thief, Sly Diamond who strikes a deal to help Nicklaus with information Sly has gleaned while casing the joint. Good action and an interesting setting whets the whistle for the upco ...more
Kitvaria Sarene
This novella kept me well entertained and just upped my desire to read revenant winds... (Luckily I have an arc of that! :D )
It was fast paced and interesting. It felt a bit like two short stories strung together, as the same character has two different "adventures" independent of each other. That is the only reason I don't give 5* as the transition from one to the other didn't make it ONE story for me.
Otherwise I really enjoyed the new world to explore, the character was one I could click with
The Grim Reader
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
It’s TBR Tuesday once again, where I pick a random book from my Kindle, read it and review it. Today, it’s the turn of Mitchell Hogan (no relation to Hulk) and his prequel novella, Tower of the Forgotten.

Now, I don’t read much in the way of fantasy, especially what I describe as high fantasy, which I think this is. In fact, Tower of the Forgotten is definitely that: magic, heroes, villains, demons, etc…and, you know, I really quite enjoyed myself. This prequel novella to a new series coming late
Wayne
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

Very short but a good read and really enjoyable.

This is a new series by this author and it's the introduction to this new world and it's characters.

The world building is good and even in such a short story you get a real sense of the world this is set in. It brings out the storyline well and adds to the weight of the story.

The characters are interesting and you get a real sense of their personality which is an interesting achievement in a novella this short. I am very keen to learn more a
FanFiAddict
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
*I received a proof copy from the author. All opinions are my own.*

Tower of the Forgotten is a quick, enchanting read, set just before the beginning of Hogan's Tainted Cabal series. This prequel follows Niklaus, master swordsman and cocky SOB, who is given a divine mission from his goddess, one that will test is wit and his metal (no pun intended).

Written with the skill and craft shown in his Sorcery Ascendant Sequence series, Hogan shows that he can write darn good short stories too. No world
Ian Kelly
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novella was a free giveaway designed to drum up interest in an upcoming book or series, The Tainted Cabal, and to that end, it was successful. During the few pages this encompasses, I learned enough about the world and the writer that I will certainly be checking out the main work once it is released.
Shaun  (Eclectic Cove)
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
4.5
Loved this novella!! If the prequel novella is this good I cannot wait to get into the actual series.
D
Short Fantasy

Metric system - Those are my personal opinions, you may discord, my final rating of the book is not necessarily linked to this system and may diverge from it.
Book Storyline
- Storyline planning: 2/5 stars OR /5 negative stars
- Ending: 3/
Jonathan  Royan
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was given the ARC by the author in exchange for an honest review. I have previously read other works by this author and consider myself a fan.

This novella is a prequel to The Reverent Winds trilogy, first book out later this year. It tells the story of two characters meeting and sharing a brief adventure.

It's a nice little teaser to get you into this new world and also to get to know some characters and their back stories. Nicklaus is a devotee to his god, and hopes that he will earn his plac
Pamela
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well I'm ready for the main course, this story was a wonderful appetizer for The Tainted Cabal series. I can see there will be my main ingredient for a good story, and that's interesting characters. Just enough here to spark an interest in Niklaus, (master swordsman and assassin for a mysterious goddess) and a side character to hopefully see again, Sly Diamond (yep, that's what he calls himself) the thief that added a touch of comic relief.
Assassins, thieves, demons, sorcerers, swordplay and go
Kristobelle
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cinnamon spirits, fishy bread, and the other other white meat..

Sounds like a fantastic cook book.. Mitchell Hogan has done the unthinkable, and released the prequel of a series in chronological order! What ever shall the fantasy god's say? "Him..."?!?

Seriously: fast paced action, beautifully worded, poke-the-evil-and-run scene.. With the wonderfully named Sly Diamond! I can only hope that he is the main protagonist for the series, so I can bask in the glory of that moniker for many instalments
Rudi Opperman
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It is the first time that I’ve read any of Mitchell Hogan’s books and I will definitely look out for his other books. Action filled short story which gives you a good taste of the potential that the full length novels might have.
Suki Rickey
Forgotten

This book was fun to read and had a few errors throughout. The plot was well done and interesting overall. The characters are developed well and overall were fun to read about. The main character is always talking about his goddess and it becomes repetitive.
Leigh Wright
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
An excellent introduction to a new world by Mitchell Hogan.
Barefoot Gypsy Jimerson
Great start for a series!!!

A great start for a series. Looking forward to more. Niklaus sounds like a great character in the making. Damn good read.
Toby Lloyd
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*I received a proof copy from the author. All opinions are my own.*

This was a very quick read and was a fantastic continuation of our learning about Niklaus. I was lucky enough to have read Revenant Winds as a beta reader, so had already met our main character.

There were no slow parts in this book, no background or world-building and instead we just got a nice quick dose of action, in a very entertaining story. It should really whet the appetite for the Revenant Winds release, the next big serie
Mary
This is a prequel novella to the novel Revenant Winds. Niklaus du Plessis, an assassin and master swordsman, serves the goddess Sylva Kalisia. The novel begins with a scene of a swordfight between Niklaus and Draglor, a barbarian swordsman, which ends with the barbarian clutching his bleeding leg.

I have never read anything by Mitchell Hogan before so this is my introduction to his writing. I wanted to like this novella but it was hard for me to get into the story and understand the characters. T
Janne Sinivirta
Sep 11, 2017
Kristjan Kaitsa
Sep 23, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Rise of the Ranger (The Echoes Saga, #1)
  • The Wolf of the North (Wolf of the North #1)
  • Blackwing (Raven's Mark, #1)
  • Quill (The Cartographer #1)
  • Empire of Dirt (The Echoes Saga, #2)
  • Malice (The Faithful and the Fallen, #1)
  • Words of Radiance, Part 1 (The Stormlight Archive #2, Part 1 of 2)
  • The First Law Trilogy
  • Words of Radiance, Part 2 (The Stormlight Archive #2, Part 2 of 2)
  • Ravencry (Raven's Mark #2)
  • Low Town (Low Town, #1)
  • Dragonvein Book One (Dragonvein, #1)
  • Forget Nothing (Galaxy's Edge Series)
  • From Hell's Heart (The Chronicles of Breed #4)
  • Age of Empyre (The Legends of the First Empire #6)
  • Of Sand and Snow (The Wings of War, #5)
  • Mistborn Trilogy Boxed Set (Mistborn, #1-3)
  • The Silence
*** Signup to Mitchell's New Release mailing list to be the first to hear about new releases, and for bonus chapters of A Crucible of Souls! ***

When he was eleven, Mitchell Hogan was given the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings to read, and a love of fantasy novels was born. He spent the next ten years reading, rolling dice, and playing computer games, with some school and univer

The Tainted Cabal (1 books)
  • Revenant Winds (The Tainted Cabal #1)

News & Interviews