Start by marking “Śpiąca Alicja” as Want to Read:
Śpiąca Alicja

Śpiąca Alicja

"Szykujcie oręż przeciw memu zaraniu, które lada chwila strąci Ciebie i Harry’ego w mroki zapomnienia", napisała Alicja do swojego brata Williama w 1891 roku. Nie zdążyła, zmarła kilka miesięcy później w wieku czterdziestu trzech lat.

Kim była? Młodszą siostrą Henry’ego, sławnego pisarza, autora „Bostończyków”, „Portretu damy” i „Domu na placu Waszyngtona” oraz Williama, w
Published January 12th 2017 by Wydawnictwo Prószyński i S-ka (first published October 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Śpiąca Alicja, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Śpiąca Alicja

Diane S ☔
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 For her first foray into fiction, non fiction writer Hooper has tackled the insular and well known James family. Narrated by Alice as she attempts to recover from her latest malady at a spa in England, she takes us back and forth into her life as the youngest and only daughter. Plagued most of her life by various ills, an intelligent woman with few outlets, her life is a matter of intellect, always yearning for the freedoms allowed her bothers. In the days before any effective medical treatm ...more
B J
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book delightful. An historical fiction of Alice James. I was totally unaware of this woman until reading this book and hope that I can find a copy of her diary that was published many years after her death.
This book showed to me the plight of women in the late 19th century, the life of privileged and a glimpse at so much more. The descriptive writing I found beautiful.
The James's family is displayed with all its worts and beauty. Inherited wealth allows them to live an extraord
Sharon
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-tours
Based on the diary of Alice James and correspondence between Alice and the rest of the James's family I found Judith Hooper's Alice In Bed to be an utterly fascinating and compelling novel.

We meet Alice, daughter of the famous author Henry James, in her late 30's during the latest bout of illness which has rendered her bedridden. Similar episodes of illness have plagued Alice since she was young and no one has been able to diagnose what is wrong with her. During this episode of incapacitation Al
Martha Miller
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: To anyone
This is a novel treatment about Alice James and her eccentric family which included her brother the author Henry James. It is well written. Didn't have many complaints.
Ethan
Feb 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although her brothers Henry and William are better known, Alice James was a fascinating person in her own right. In Alice in Bed author Judith Hooper makes her first foray into fiction by drawing extensively on her experience writing non-fiction. The result is a hybrid work that uses historical fact to inform the fictional accounts of the less covered sister of the James family. Hooper mixes actual correspondence between the family members and snippets of Alice's diary with her own speculations ...more
Brianna the Bibliophile
“We don’t know what’s wrong with Alice – no one does, though her brothers have inventive theories; even the best of medical science offer no help. Her legs no longer support her. She cannot travel home and so is separated from her beloved Katherine. She also suffers fits each day at noon, sending her into swooning dreams in which she not so much remembers her life as relives it.”

In this book you travel from London to Paris and back to Boston, following the correspondence between all the James ch
Ann
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alice James dotes on her brothers William and Henry and not just because of their literary talents. The James family headed by Henry James Senior who, since his Vastation, has imagined his own religion "so exclusive it has only one member." Alice's friend Sara (of the Emerald Nights) early on says, "Ye gods! The way your Father talks!" The head of the household writes books and letters Alice can't comprehend, but in Cambridge his lectures are popular.
Letters between family members are worth read
Micebyliz
This book was a delightful read. I do confess that my head fell over a couple of times, but i think it was more that it was bedtime than boretime. It's very dry which is one of my favorite kinds of reading and listening, so you have to pay attention. If we tend to forget how women were not respected and how they had to wear corsets so they couldn't breathe (thus fainting) and how health care was non-existent--then this book is your next read.
i liked the short letters in between chapters. It's a
Penney
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this historical novel about Alice James, the Dickinsonian younger sister of Henry and William. There are some wonderful, well-written passages, vivid characterization, well-researched historical detail. But the book reads like a novel by a nonfiction writer, which (it turns out) it is. Way too long (especially for a book about an invalid), bogs down in repetitive incidents, lacks plot structure and narrative arc. I finally gave up and skipped to the end, which was touching, but ...more
Marvin
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This feminist novel about Alice James, younger sister to William & Henry James (& two other brothers), draws from and quotes regularly from the James’ correspondence and other private writings. Clearly, Alice was brilliant intellectually and was respected by her brothers; her wit & humor (the novel is written in her first-person voice) is what kept me reading even though the whole family’s obsessions with their physical, mental, & emotional health wore thin for me, as did all the ...more
Jenine
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 I found this hard to put down. I particularly loved the end piece where the author speculates on Alice's physical and psychological states in modern terms.

I was never required to read any Henry James fiction in school. I did try Turn of the Screw recently (not finished) and I think I've picked up some of the novels. But I have the strong sense that this author is holding information over my head, taunting me with the sense that I will never get the joke.
Rhodopa
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific - made me read The Diary of Alice James. Judith Hooper makes her come to life!
Linda Willimer
Jan 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't finish it
Mary
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Depressing. Did not finish.
Deb
Alice in Bed is a beautifully written, somewhat meandering novel that puts the reader into the head of Alice James, through her diary entries, letters, and relationships with her family, friends and lovers. I confess that I knew virtually nothing about Alice James before reading this book, having some familiarity with her two famous brothers, author Henry James and psychologist and philosopher William James (and most of that sketchy knowledge of the James brothers came from various lit and psych ...more
Kelly
Dec 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting bit of historical fiction, attempting to illuminate Alice James, the sister of psychologist William James and novelist Henry James. Alice, despite being the youngest child, female, and chronically ill, was witty in her own right, and was made posthumously famous through the publishing of her diary.

Through the snippets of letters sent between her brothers, her parents, and herself, in addition to some excerpts from her diary, we are given the non-fiction parts of this stor
Cindy Roesel
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ALICE in BED (Counterpoint) by Judith Hooper takes readers to Boston and England in the mid-late 1800s – a challenging time, for intelligent women. Unfortunately they find themselves, as in the case of Alice James, repeatedly coming up against walls and closed doors in a society with no opportunity for women to further their education.

One of Alice’s brothers is William James, one of the greatest English novelists of the time; another is Henry James, who is inventing American psychology. The Jame
Meg - A Bookish Affair
"Alice in Bed" is the story of Alice James, the sister of Henry and William James. Both of the brothers are well known for their contributions to literature and psychology. This book seeks to give a voice to Alice, whose own legacy has been largely overshadowed by her brothers. She is absolutely fascinating as well. I love historical fiction that gives voice to those who may be almost lost to history as Alice is. This is a fascinating portrait of a person that I was not at all familiar with befo ...more
Julie
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, own, tlc
I thought this would be a stimulating glimpse into the intellectual James family, and to a degree it was. Brothers William and Henry, the renowned psychiatrist and author, respectively, and their sister Alice are all extremely philosophic, but I didn’t get a sense for what drove them to pursue their ambitions. The first half of the novel seemed to be a combination of name-dropping Bostonian socialites and Alice’s foray into lesbian sensuality. The second half is her laid up with her various un-d ...more
Mary Carpenter
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With Alice in Bed, Hooper takes on a topic I was somewhat familiar with, the life of Henry James's sister Alice, from books like the Master, by Colm Toibin. Because The Master's subject, Henry James, was stolid and repressed, that is when he wasn't turning out literary masterpieces, I was thrilled to find Alice full of rebellious verve and sensuous delight. In fact I especially commend Hooper on her titillating and engrossing sex scenes. The reader likes Alice and roots for her when the odds of ...more
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the experience of reading this book. And I'm not even sure why - it was a very slow read, and it had no plot. It was just a book that jumped around to share the life of a woman in the later 1800s. But the writing was excellent, so full of brilliant ideas and perfect metaphors and emotions and tenderness. And reading the life, the growing up, the evolution of a person is definitely as rewarding as a plot when Hooper is the author. The historical tie-ins were just icing for me (although th ...more
Heather Fineisen
This is an imaginative and witty account of Alice James not just as the invalid sister of her famous brothers. Hooper depicts Alice as passionate, mischievous, intellectual and thoughtful. She is full of ideas and full of life. This a slowly paced novel that reveals much about the James family and their peers as well as the historical era as these were things Alice cared very much about. The dialogue is realistic and the letters included at the end of chapters provide a nice summary of the famil ...more
Diane
Jan 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read in conjuncture with The Master...interesting take on the James Family.....limited choices for women of this period...The Master was more complete and revealed a lot about the effect of the civil war on families, the double standard of an intellectual family, limited options for young woman, mental illness and repressed sexuality during the Victorian period.
I suppose that the text in italics in "Alice" were direct quotes from her diary but wondered how much here was invented....The Master fe
Susan Neuwirth
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars from me means the book is a "hit" and definitely worth reading. I went to a book talk given by the author and it was her wonderful sense of humor when describing Alice that made me want to read it. I wasn't disappointed. In fact, I loved it and recommended it to tons of my friends who also loved it. You can't beat historical fiction written by someone who has a sense of humor. Next on my list (well, eventually, is The Master, a book written by C. Toibin about Alice's brother, Henry).
Isabel
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a well written novel about diarist Alice James, sister of author Henry and philosopher William. Her eccentric Boston family of intellectuals is fodder for her memories. She sees and records the reality of life in this family in the 1800s. Alice spent the last years of her life in bed, but she wasn't boring. This is a great book for those of you who like 'biographies', eccentricity and life in the closed world of 1800 Boston intellectuals.
Barbara
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author Based this book on Alice James's diary and the letters between Alice and her brothers. I thought it was done so very well. Poor Alice was as intelligent as the rest of the family but, due to the times, was stifled and unable to do anything with her intellect outside the family. Very good book.
Peter Zingg
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alice in Bed is a fascinating portrayal of Boston in the 1800's and one of America's leading intellectual famiilies. It is also filled with wit and humor, as Alice observes the stuffy social rituals and pompous academics around her. Beautifully written, this book is one that I couldn't put down, right up to its extremely moving final chapters.
Elizabeth
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Hooper has brought to life a brilliant, complicated and modern woman trapped in the late 1800s. Somehow, the author has created such a complete portrait of Alice James it is hard to imagine it is a work of fiction rather than autobiography. The scholarship involved and the bright, fresh prose make the book a delight to read. I can't wait for Ms. Hooper's next book.
Dianne Lange
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alice may have spent most of her last years in bed, but her mind went everywhere. I loved seeing the world of Henry James from the point of view of Alice, his sister. Fascinating, too, how many of her observations and insights made it into his books. Although it's a novel, it reads like a memoir--the best of both worlds.
Amy
Apr 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting, although it did lag for me - maybe because some of the comments were over my head or maybe because Alice and the rest of the James family became overwhelming.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Green Vanilla Tea: One Family's Extraordinary Journey of Love, Hope, and Remembering
  • On Pilgrimage
  • The Peerless Four
  • Scriptorium: Poems
  • The Invisible Front: Love and Loss in an Era of Endless War
  • Strange Times, My Dear: The PEN Anthology of Contemporary Iranian Literature
  • 117 Days: An Account of Confinement and Interrogation Under the South African 90-Day Detention Law