Start by marking “Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)” as Want to Read:
Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)

Stillhouse Lake

(Stillhouse Lake #1)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  132,148 ratings  ·  9,934 reviews
Gina Royal is the definition of average—a shy Midwestern housewife with a happy marriage and two adorable children. But when a car accident reveals her husband’s secret life as a serial killer, she must remake herself as Gwen Proctor—the ultimate warrior mom.

With her ex now in prison, Gwen has finally found refuge in a new home on remote Stillhouse Lake. Though still the t
Published July 1st 2017 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Stillhouse Lake, please sign up.
Tori The cliffhanger was pretty ambiguous to me. The main conflict is resolved so I think the book did what it was supposed to. I was excited to see the po…moreThe cliffhanger was pretty ambiguous to me. The main conflict is resolved so I think the book did what it was supposed to. I was excited to see the possiblity there may be more to this story. (less)

·  132,148 ratings  ·  9,934 reviews

Start your review of Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
Emily May
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
In the morning, there's another girl floating dead in the lake.

Easily one of the better mystery/thrillers I've read this year. After disappointments from old favourites with Since We Fell and newly-hyped thrillers like Final Girls, I managed to find a really creepy, suspenseful story from an author who has always been a bit hit and miss for me.

The book starts with a very dramatic and gruesomely exciting opening chapter. I've grown to appreciate slow build novels, but thrillers that pull out
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Reread with For Love Of A Book

Gina never asked about the garage.

That thought would keep her awake every night for years after, pulsing hot against her eyelids. I should have asked. Should have known. But she'd never asked, she didn't know, and in the end, that was what destroyed her.

There were some things that I didn't totally like in the book, but for the most part it was really good!

**Mild Spoilers**

It's been a few years now and Gina is now Gwen and she is living in Stillhouse Lake, TN
Deanna
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
My reviews can also be found at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

I’ve been trying to stay away from reading any new series until I finish the ones I’ve already started. However, I’ve been seeing “Stillhouse Lake” pop up everywhere lately, and after reading the description and a few reviews, I had to admit, I was intrigued. I decided I had to read it... and I’m really glad I did.

Normally, Gina Royal is home at three in the afternoon, but her husband, Mel, has called and asked her to pick
Chelsea Humphrey
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was exciting from beginning to end! I love this spin on the typical serial killer thriller; here, we see the focus on the family the monster left behind. My nerves constantly ramped up as the tension grew; this was compulsive reading at its finest and I'm so glad I was able to snag this with my Kindle Unlimited membership. I was a bit surprised to see so many typos and formatting issues though; I don't read enough finished ebook copies to know if maybe this is normal? Anyway, it wasn't enou ...more
Meredith (Slowly Catching Up)
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Creepy and chock full of tension!

Stillhouse Lake is a riveting psychological thriller about a woman on the run from her past who must confront her worst nightmare when she is targeted in a murder scheme.

Let’s just say that Gina Royal is not the best at choosing men. After discovering what her husband was doing behind closed doors, she moves with her children to rural Stillhouse Lake, Tennessee and adopts a new identity. But her past soon begins to catch up with her and she must fight the da
Carol
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
This is probably one of the best psychological thrillers I have read in a while. It had me questioning myself at every twist and turn. I was literally on the edge of my seat during the last three-quarters of the book. I could even feel the paranoia of the main character. Totally messed with my mind!!
Julie
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, 2019, thrillers
Stillhouse Lake by Rachel Caine is a 2017 Thomas & Mercer publication.

Super intense thrill ride!

Gina Proctor is a nice, quiet person, married with two kids, living a perfectly normal, perfectly mundane life- until a fluke car accident outs her husband as a serial killing monster. Now Gina has transformed herself into Gwen Proctor- a confident single mother who hangs out at the shooting range in her free time.

Gwen relocates her family to Stillhouse Lake, where she finally allows herself, and h
Larry H
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Stillhouse Lake is a great book. I mean, stay-up-until-2:00-a.m.-to-finish-it great. I read the whole thing in just a few hours, and my heart was pounding pretty fast for a while afterward!

"I'm glad I've escaped a hell I had hardly even recognized when I was burning in it. Glad that I've pulled the kids out, too."

Gina Royal had your typical, everyday life. Her marriage to her husband Mel had its ups and downs, but for the most part, they were happy, and she felt comfortable raising their two ch
Christina - Recipe & a Read
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5, PSA: if your partner has a “secret room” burn it TO THE GROUND stars!!!

Full review featured on my blog Recipe and a Read!!!

Gina Royal is a good wife. She is an exceptional mother. She takes care of house and home like a juggernaut – doing what society, and her husband has told her is her most important job, to the detriment of her own well-being. She loves her children with everything she has, and while her marriage has its hiccups and that proverbial “spark” may be gone, Mel is a good fat
RedemptionDenied
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Update: 13/3/18. This is currently on offer: 0.99p in the UK, $0.99 in the US (I think) - and $2.99 in Canada. It's the same price for Killman Creek, too!

Loved. This. Book.

Damn. This ends with cliffhanger that I didn't see coming, though I probably should have. I feel like doing a reread, already. The story is told in the first and third person perspectives - though, the third person is for the prologue, then it switches to (Gina/Gwen's) first person perspective.

Gina Royal, thinks she's got a p
Susanne
5 Stars!

Chilling, Thrilling and Wholly Satisfying.

Imagine waking up one day to find out that you don’t know the man you are married to. Worse yet, that he is a monster. And what’s even more horrifying? That you will never be safe after what he has done. This is the story of “Stillhouse Lake” - and boy is it one helluva ride.

On the day that Gina Royal comes home to find that a car has smashed into the garage, her life literally comes crashing down before her. Turns out her husband Melvin Royal,
jessica
a pretty classic case of ‘its not you, its me.’

i really wanted to enjoy this - i think exploring the trauma of the family of a serial killer is so unique - but this book just reconfirmed my preferences for quick pacing and short chapters when it comes to mystery/thrillers. the 25+ page chapters in this are just too long and made the story feel like it was dragging. i definitely need that ‘page turner’ quality when it comes to the genre, and this sadly did not have that for me personally.

things d
Liz
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing

What a fascinating premise! A story told from the perspective of a serial killer’s wife. Told after he is discovered, she and her family have had to go into hiding, changing their identities. Dealing with the trolls who want to punish them for her husband’s crimes. And she still struggles with how she never knew.

This is so well done. There’s a great level of suspense and tension throughout the book. A real creepiness factor. It’s really rare for me to read a mystery that literally gives me chil
Lisa
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I am sorry guys but this did nothing for me I DNF at 40% the premise started out fast paced easily read but for me just nothing was going on the beginning was a good start but by the time Gwen had moved to Stillwater Lake it slowed somewhat which bored me there was too much explanation & not enough movement. The characters were likeable but flawed.
It was a shame really as I had high hopes for this series again I am in the minority but so be it I always say how it is at least I am honest in my as
Holly  B

A breakneck pace and lots of serial killer chills!

I'm not a huge fan of serial killer reads, but with so many great reviews I purchased this one and read it straight through leaving all my other reads languishing until I finished!

Gina Royal is a shy housewife with two children she dotes on. She was living a normal life( so she thought) until one day she was confronted with her husbands "other" life and is forced to change her name and power up in order to protect her kids and herself!

I really l
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Imagine coming home with your kids one day and finding your garage smashed in by a drunk driver. Then even worse, finding out that your husband has been using that garage as a little chop 'em up shop.
Complete with dead body.

That's what happens to Gina Royal. The bad thing is? She lived with this dude and had two children by him and never knew that he was one of the most prolific serial killers around.

Gina is also arrested and tried as his accomplice, because just how could she
Nataliya
Mar 26, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nataliya by: Dennis
“Mel infected me like a virus, and I have an unhealthy surety deep down that I’ll never get completely well again.”
This book was unexpectedly good — gripping, tense and wonderfully suspenseful. I don’t usually read many thrillers, but books like this are enough to redeem that genre for me. The audiobook hours flew by, and I loved it.
“Gwen Proctor is the fourth identity I’ve had since leaving Wichita. Gina Royal lies dead in the past; I’m not that woman anymore. In fact, I can hardly reco
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
3.5 stars.

Chilling. Mysterious. Dark. Suspenseful. Eerie. Engrossing.

Gwen Proctor hasn’t always been Gwen Proctor. She used to be Gina Royal. Gina Royal was a quiet stay at home mother of two beautiful children who came home one day to find out her husband of nine years was a serial killer. Years later, she is living miles away in a house on the edge of Stillhouse Lake, she and her children having taken on new identities. One day, a body mirroring the victims of Gwen’s ex-husband is found float
Theresa Alan
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Two warnings before you begin this taut thriller: It ends on a cliffhanger (book two is available and there is a third book not yet out), and there is a degree of graphic detail about women who are tortured before they are killed.

Gina Royal thinks she’s living a wonderful, suburban life with a loving husband and two great kids. Then she comes home one day to a street clogged with police cars and ambulances. A car accident has revealed that her husband’s hobby in the garage—one she never inquired
BernLuvsBooks
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-reads, 2017
4 Stars for Stillhouse Lake

Gina never asked about the garage.

That thought would keep her awake every night for years after. I should have asked. Should have known. But she's never asked, she didn't know, and in the end, that was what destroyed her.

And so the story begins.....

I was in the mood for an engrossing thriller and this turned out to be exactly that, making it one of the best thrillers I've read this year!

Though she starts off weak Gina/Gwen quickly becomes a likable character. Sh
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chelsea by: Lianne - Literary Diversions
Review to come post Reading Rush!
R.K. Gold
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I finally finished this book. It's been on my currently reading shelf for a month, and I think I read four other books in the time it took me to read this short thriller, but it's finally done. Okay, thoughts-- if it wasn't for the final forty pages I think I would've given this book 2 stars. I can see why this book is popular, and would not sway anyone away from reading it, but there was just so many small things in this story that just kept distracting me as I read it, so many details that I f ...more
Krystin Rachel
Book Blog | Bookstagram

After reading this I am going to be on high alert-code orange, for any signs my darling husband is a deranged serial killer.

I mean, he has serious deep-rooted hate for bunnies, so that’s got to be red flag number one. All I need now is to find a locked room in our house that I’m never allowed to go in, and it’s all but basically confirmed. I’m going to have to kill him.

But we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Stillhouse Lake by Rachel Caine is a different twist on the
KAS
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it

Gwen gets through each day one minute at a time. She cannot plan for the future. She must, at all times, live by the following rules:
Never let your guard down
Trust no one
Prepare to flee with your children at any given moment

While I went into this one blind, I was somehow expecting a real thriller, which IMHO was not. But it was definitely an entertaining, suspenseful ‘listen.’

Of course I also didn’t know it would end on a slight cliffhanger. It isn’t exactly necessary to read the next in th
Phrynne
Apr 01, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 3500-2022
I find it hard to believe that I am coming to this series so late, especially considering many friends whose reviews I totally trust have been saying for ages how good it is. Anyway here I am at last and gosh was this first book good!

In Stillhouse Lake we meet Gina Royal, experience with her the disaster which ruins her life and then see her pick herself up and become a new woman, literally. She changes her name to Gwen Proctor, renames her children Atlanta and Connor and the three of them go on
Berit Talks Books
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks, 2017
Five extremely intense stars!!!

Cannot even imagine being married to a serial killer.... how could you not question your judgment from that point on? How could you ever trust anybody else again? How could you ever feel safe?

The author did an absolutely amazing job of putting you in Gina/Gwen‘s head for the duration of this book.... I felt just as paranoid and on edge as Gina/Gwen did.... this book was extremely hard to put down, I just needed to know what was going to happen to this family next..
Tulay
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Psychological thriller.

Started with accident, drunk driver destroyed the garage of serial killer Melvin Royal. Did gruesome killings there. Fooled his wife and kids for years, now they are on the run from people that didn't believe the fact they didn't know what he was doing in that garage. Changing names, schools. Wife Gina always prepared to move if they are discovered. This unstable emotional state taking a toll on all of them. Parts gets little boring, but keep reading. Has a very surprising
Sarah Joint
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick, gripping read with a premise unlike anything else I'd ever read. I grew to love the main character as the book went on, even after being initially put off by her. The younger characters were realistically flawed and likeable. While I did manage to guess a bit of what was really going on, it was a wild and enjoyable ride. I'm definitely going to be watching out for the next in the series, which is released in December.

Gwen Proctor underwent a metamorphosis. Once she was Gina Royal, loyal a
Sheri
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, thriller
A fast-paced and intense psychological thriller. Pulls you right in and doesn't let go. Who can be trusted? Is there anywhere that is safe?

I loved how strong and fierce Gwen was. She can definitely hold her own. Others are often destroyed by all that she has gone through. Had me thinking about what life is like for those left behind after a crime -- both the perpetrator's and the victim's families.

The ending sets you up perfectly for book two in the series. Can't wait to read it!
Jonetta
Imagine coming home one afternoon after a normal, typical day and having your life turned inside out, upside down in a second. Well, that’s what happened to Gwen Proctor, formerly known as Gina Royal, the identity she had to give up so she and her two children, Lanny and Connor (also new names) could survive. A freak accident exposed her now ex-husband Mel Royal as a brutal serial killer and the court of public opinion viewed Gwen as an accomplice. She was tried and acquitted in the real court o ...more

• My Sister's Grave (Tracy Crosswhite, #1)
  • Say You're Sorry (Morgan Dane, #1)
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick, #1)
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
  • The Body Reader (Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries, #1)
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
  • Jar of Hearts
  • The Good Lie
  • The 7th Canon
  • I Am Watching You
  • No Exit
See top shelves…

Stillhouse Lake (6 books)
  • Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
  • Wolfhunter River (Stillhouse Lake, #3)
  • Bitter Falls (Stillhouse Lake, #4)
  • Heartbreak Bay (Stillhouse Lake, #5)
  • Trapper Road (Stillhouse Lake, #6)

Articles featuring this book

“And that was when she had one single, awful realization. It’s not a doll. And against all her best intentions, she began to scream and couldn’t stop.” 9 likes
“Guns don’t keep anyone safe. They only equal the playing field.” 9 likes