Start by marking “Golem” as Want to Read:
Golem

Golem

3.32  ·  Rating details ·  345 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
Young Steno Critone doesn't want to stop dreaming. In a world where no one has the time to try something that isn't already provided by the system, Steno fears that his dreams will one day die. He has no idea that the fate of the world relies on his ability to dream.

Set in a future, post-Eurozone Italy, entrenched in a culture of hyper-capitalism, GOLEM follows young Steno
Published February 17th 2016 by Magnetic Press (first published January 9th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Golem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Golem

Vivian
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fr, ng, graphic-or-comic
Gorgeous cover, and while I didn't expect 280 pages of that quality illustration, I had hoped for more.

Opening sequence is an overview, unimpressive, but I think in the context of the story it is reflects the plastic and propaganda of the new Itally, paternalistic and fascist.

Second sequence is character introduction and elaboration of the world. There's this social commentary that not being Italian is probably lost in translation, but needless to say the Euro controversy and Italy's tenuous fi
Sarah Marie
Golem by Lorenzo Ceccotti

3 stars

I would compare this graphic novel to 1984, but it’s set in Italy and this offers a very different setting to the usual American atmosphere that most dystopian stories focus on. This is also very nature oriented and focuses on the concept that a device with the ability to recycle matter into anything. This device becomes a threat to capitalism and this in turn causes political problems within the society. I really enjoyed the symbolism Ceccotti focuses on and the

Yzabel Ginsberg
[I got a copy through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.]

Some pretty good artwork in places, although I expected something more original, especially considering the length of this volume.

The basic idea in itself is, I'd say, typical enough of dystopian stories: country (here, Italy) in the not-too-far future, dominated by an apparent benevolent ruler (president Oudeis) who's actually a tyrant, with "the masses" living day to day in blissful ignorance, smothered with all the latest tech
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I really liked the artwork. However, at times I was wondering what I was reading because there didn't seem to be much of a plot.

Set in a very Dystopian (one might say over-the-top Dystopian) future Italy it had a very strange Japanese feeling over it. Partly this might have to do with the manga-like art style, but everything else also felt more Japanese than Italian (clothes and the like). It was distracting for me as I kept wondering w
Tanabrus
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bao, graphic-novel
Disegni molto belli, idea interessante e una buona prima parte, con la società iperconsumistica del futuro e la tecnologia invasiva sviluppo dell'attuale.

Però poi la storia si fa un po' caotica e molto sbrigativa, non c'è introspezione, non si "sentono" messaggi e rivoluzione. E la conclusione è semplicistica e rapida.
Akylina
"Golem" is a graphic novel set in a dystopian version of Italy, where consummerism is more than dominant and also enforced by the government. However, when a mission led by a group of "rebels" called The Shorai doesn't exactly go as planned, things start to rapidly change.

This graphic novel contains so many spot-on social and political comments and even though they refer to this dystopian society described in the story, they can be applied to many of today's societies as well. The plot is very
Nicola
Pro: disegni validissimi, alcuni sono da incorniciare; inoltre, la visione distopica di Roma nel 2030, che comprende l'alta tecnologia, la superficialità dell'apparire che sovrasta l'essere e la totale indifferenza verso gli altri... insomma, tutti questi aspetti sono resi in un modo spaventosamente magnifico.
Contro: la seconda parte della storia, troppo sbrigativa e con una conclusione (ahimé) scontata. Mi trovo d'accordo con quelli che avrebbero preferito una maggiore caratterizzazione dei per
Benjamin
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This wasn't perfect, but I had no problems being drawn into the story, It's a setting and plot I feel I've seen before but with a new flavor. Steno Critone starts this book off with a nice youthful perspective on an otherwise eerily similar to ours, consumer enslaved world. The futurism is spot on and hits close to home with what Is in my imagination, and a few sequences warranted some very uncomfortable laughter. This book asks a question needing to be asked more often:
When what you own, owns y
Paolo Marzi
La seguente recensione l'ho trovata su aNobii e la condivido quasi in toto, diciamo un buon 95%, ecco i link della recensione, perchè mi sembra giusto rendergliene merito.

Mi sento di aggiungere però un paio di cose:

Numero 1: l'ambientazione del fumetto è semplicemente meravigliosa, e l'idea con cui è stata concepita è molto intrigante: distopismo e consumismo, libertà e schiavitù, sovratecnologizzazione e semplicità.
This is a beautifully illustrated graphic novel. The images are just to stare at and enjoy.

Some examples here.

photo Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 5.47.35 PM_zpsfpe7lgca.png

photo Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 5.44.51 PM_zpsqc0p97bd.png

photo Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 5.45.27 PM_zpstfjgo8iw.png

And the story is good. It is, as dystopian stories are, a story of the people trying to overcome it, usually a small group who overthrow the present government. There is a twist to how they do so, and did I mention the illustrations and layout are marvelous.

I guess, except for the twist, we have seen this story so many times, that it just isn't that fresh.

So read this to enjoy the ar
Kirsty
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free from Magnetic Press via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

This graphic novel is set in a futuristic dystopian Italy, and it is shocking how you can see some of these aspects within our society today, especially with all the political debates regarding the EU. This all made for a fascinating and gripping read, as terrorists also play a big part in this book. This could well be a lot like what the future will bring.

While I did find the plot interesting and the
Paige
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Admittedly, I flew through the first 200 pages of this in a single day and after finishing up the last 80 I sort of regretted it because it flew by almost too fast and then the ending felt so rushed. The final battle was only a couple pages and I was left wanting more explanations for what had happened and what was going to happen after the book ended.

Additionally, I don't think I fully understood everything that was happening in the world because there wasn't a ton of background given to us. I
Diana
I was really curious to see what this is about and I'm happy that I was able to read it.
The art of this comic book is amazing and at times I just stopped to enjoy it, but unfortunately I can't say the same thing about the story. I couldn't really connect with all the characters and I needed more details to understand everything. Some of the political themes were hard to get at first, since it's not my area of expertise.
Steno was interesting, but we don't get to know him too well, and the same
Donatella Principi
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recensione @ Chibiistheway
Davvero sorprendente!! Golem è una critica alle moderne democrazie ma non si ferma alla sola politica, parla anche di libertà e di sogni. Un'opera studiata nei minimi dettagli e con continui riferimenti ad altri autori occidentali e giapponesi (come Miyazaki e Urasawa). Visivamente uno spettacolo. Avrei preferito una migliore caratterizzazione dei personaggi, soprattutto del protagonista, ma a parte questo non ho nulla da rimproverare. Super consigliato, io sono rimasta
Vanessa
Apr 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, arc
For a graphic novel of 280 pages this was a beautifully illustrated book.
Set in a futuristic Italy consumed by political consumerism and freedom fighters deemed "terrorists" this novel is somewhat shallow as a story given its nature and that it can be read in less than an hour, although I did enjoy it and I'm glad to have read it.
Soobie can't sleep at night
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Soobie can't sleep at night by: Archivio Del Fumetto D'Alta Quota "Paolo Cossi"
Era partito bene... Poi si è perso.

Avevo intenzione di leggere altro oggi, ma son capitata sullo scaffale dedicato alla Bao e ho preso questo.

Siamo in una Roma del futuro, in cui quattro multinazionali hanno il controllo del paese. Persino il primo ministro è un burattino nelle loro mani. In questo mondo distopico arriva Steno, innamorato della figlia del primo ministro. Durante un trasferimento in macchina - in cui si ritrovano casualmente vicini - subiscono un attacco da un gruppo terrorista.
Ogan
May 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the art style but the political theme was not my cup of tea. I guess I have grown out of Deus Ex Machina solutions to problems either...
Lupe Dominguez
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was surprisingly good. I want sure about all the super deep philosophical stuff until I read the last pages where the author explained it all. Then the rest of the book and pieces I was missing fell into place. Such a great story of how absolute power absolutely corrupts and how capitalism can wreak havoc on a society if not kept in check. But it was also how just one idea, one singular protest, or one of anything really, could be a catalyst for change. Deep work. But fantastic.
Nek0 Neha (BiblioNyan)
Golem was an amazing graphic novel that I feel is exceptionally underrated. I believe that it’s difficult for people to get into because the story is highly intelligent and focuses on complex examinations of a fascist government that is run on highly capitalistic practices. Being a science-fiction, politically idealistic thriller, it exhibits a setting where an ostensibly perfect society has been formed, but at a very heavy price: the cost of almost all natural resources. The culture in this nov ...more
Monique
Jul 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a mess. Just...a mess. I bought it thinking it sounded interesting and I liked the look of the art and I'm always looking to read work from around the world. So going in, I really had no expectations. I was ready for LRNZ to take me anywhere he wanted.

Where to start?

The story is vague and tropey. It jumps around all over, never really makes any sense, and uses every terrible Sci-fi cliche in the book. Techno-phobic in its depiction of a pseudo utopia, with a 1984, Big Brother vibe
Montzalee Wittmann
Golem by Lorenzo Ceccotti is a graphic sci-fi/ fantasy novel, more in the manga type style. It is set in the future in a Eurozone Italy during a time when capitalism is everything. No one cooks, sews, and everything is bought. Nothing is done by hand. The nano tech is there to help the public make life easier but it has been hidden so business can rule the people. A band of people are trying to change this but are labeled "terrorist". The boy of the story, Steno, is key to the change. The plot i ...more
nebula91
I disegni sono belli, i colori eccellenti, è uno stile di disegni che apprezzo molto. Lo spunto di partenza e l'ambientazione futuristica/distopica particolarmente nelle mie corde, ma la trama dov'è? Sarebbe stato un bell'inizio per una breve saga, ma così come autoconclusivo è troppo debole per i miei gusti.
Patrick
All and all a solid book. There's a lot of symbolic elements in here (which is talked about some at the back of the book). The way the artwork and story unfolded reminds me a lot of a Manga book. Not a bad thing I should add. The artwork was mostly great.

I received an advanced copy of this from NetGalley.com and the publisher.
Michael Yankovich
I'm not exactly sure what I just read. Golem is a beautiful blend of art styles with a nearly unintelligible plot. Author/artist LRNZ draws from numerous inspirations with his art, the most obvious being Japanese manga. I just couldn't follow this story at all. Two stars for the great artwork.
Autumn
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest, I was very disappointed with Golem. When I saw it at the bookstore and flipped through its pages I became enamored by the incredible artwork and seemingly interesting characters and decided to buy it. However, it was rather the disappointment and not worth the money I spent.

Golem overall feels very... disjointed and rushed. After the first bit, it really feels like there is action and intense plot going on in every panel of the story, leaving the reader feeling a bit overwhelmed. I
Crisanto J. Jorda
Much style and just a little substance, Golem is a neo-punk, sci-fi, dramatic story that tells the classic story of a battle between rag-tag rebels and an mega evil corporation. The premise is not original by any means, but LRNZ stylizes his characters and paneling in a way that is both fluid and masterful in its representation. I have not seen a graphic novel rendered more beautiful and with romantic flair than this one.

Underneath the hood are extremely glaring writing problems, however. The po
Guythebored
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ho avuto la possibilità di leggere Golem, la nuova graphic novel di LRNZ, solo un paio di mesi dopo l’uscita. Questa si è rivelata essere una fortuna, poiché la quantità di interviste ed articoli apparsi in questo lasso di tempo mi hanno permesso di capire che quello che avevo appena letto era solo lo strato superficiale di un’opera molto complessa. Strato superficiale di estremo interesse, però.

C’è stato un gran concentrarsi su due aspetti di questo fumetto: il comparto visivo, a mio avviso fav
Alisa
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At first glance this book might seem like a normal pointless comic book. But once you start reading you realize that's not true at all. First, there is plenty of text so the book will definitely take a few days to read and is probably considered a graphic novel. Second, it's certainly not pointless. There is a very thick plot. Everything, from the title to the art was chosen according to the storyline. The vibrant colours make it really seem like the future, and the title, being a very important ...more
Vittorio Rainone
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Difficile definirlo un capolavoro a tutto tondo: la storia è molto semplice e scorre con una rapidità a tratti eccessiva. Però la preparazione del contesto, con tutti i rimandi visuali che LRNZ ha inserito nelle pagine, e lo stile, che pesca moltissimo nel manga, ma al contempo sa adottare una sua caratterizzazione visiva, e gioca con la dinamica di lettura proponendo pagine che colpiscono, beh solo quello meriterebbe la lettura, anzi, l'immersione in questo futuro distopico ma vicino che Ceccot ...more
Laine
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
i liked this a lot - and though some might take issue with the varying quality of the art, i think the unevenness added to the whole. i feel like i can't speak to the politics within these pages because i know so little about the current state of affairs in italy. the central idea though - that matter repurposing technology could bring capitalism down to its knees - was quite intriguing. 3.5 stars
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • NonNonBa
  • Hinges: Book One: Clockwork City
  • A Boy and a Girl
  • Space Dumplins
Lorenzo Ceccotti (LRNZ) is an artist and designer based in Rome, Italy. Born in 1978. Founder and member of the SUPERAMICI collective. In the past he was one of the five pillars of the glorious design studio called Chimp Co., later to be known as Studio Brutus. LRNZ is definitely a weird multidisciplinary talent, loves working hard to find beauty in everything. Has a passion for videogames, graphi ...more

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)