Start by marking “If the Creek Don't Rise: Tales From the South” as Want to Read:
If the Creek Don't Rise: Tales From the South

If the Creek Don't Rise: Tales From the South

A Creole beauty. Eccentric sisters and a black rose. One granny woman and a red button. Church suppers and bingo nights. A poet out of his element. Dreams of Mexico. The shadowy world of thoroughbred horse racing. If the Creek Don't Rise is a collection of hard-used characters, tangled relationships, family angst, and fortitude. Step into the Deep South and experience the ...more
Published November 17th 2016 by Pen-L Publishing

To ask other readers questions about If the Creek Don't Rise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If the Creek Don't Rise

Start your review of If the Creek Don't Rise: Tales From the South
Bonnye Reed
I received a free electronic copy of this compilation of short southern tales on November 1, 2019, from Netgalley & BookReviewBuzz, author Nancy Hartney, and Pen-L publishing. Thank you all for sharing your hard work with me. I am pleased to recommend this work to friends and family. Every story reminded me of one or another of my Ketner family.

These shorts are an excellent window into the mid-20th century south as I knew it, and some take you all the way back to those stories told by our
M  - The long hot spell
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
'If the Creek Don’t Rise' is a compilation of short stories from the Deep South. It’s not all about grand homes and polite women. The blurb says “a collection of hard-used characters, tangled relationships, family angst, and fortitude” and I believe that’s exactly what I got.

To me, the book had a raw, rich feel. I admit that what I know about the south has come mostly from reading (aside from Texas where I’ve visited) but to me, the stories felt authentic. The variety was welcome though some
Lily MacKenzie
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a northerner who hasn’t spent any time in the southern states, I was excited to read Nancy Hartney’s wonderful collection of “Tales from the South.” For me, tales have a strong oral flavor, and that element is strong in the world Hartney creates for her reader.

And what aspect of storytelling makes it seem like someone is speaking to us? The word usage and rhythms the writer employs. Hartney has the southern vernacular down pat. From the minute I started reading, I was placed in a different
Alan Lampe
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is really a great immersion into Southern tales. From Oaklawn race track, to the Louisiana swamps, to the Florida Keys, this collection showcases the hard life of a Southern. I loved the postcards that were interspersed throughout the book. If her sister actually wrote them, then she's an absolute hoot! Nancy paints a great picture in each story. You'll love it.
Christine Hilker
Excellent read! Wonderful short stories about real people.
Mary Jo
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love Nancy's ability to tell a story . There is something familiar in many of these stories . Many end with the human Condition of hope.
J.M. Davis
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An Excellent Read

This book contains a collection of wonderful stories that are Southern based of both settings and characters. The author has deep southern roots that gave her the perfect voice to weave these interesting tales.

These stories capture the reader's imagination for a journey into a world that is sometimes raw and unfair. Those of us who grew up in the South have met or seen people like some of these characters. But one does not need to have a Southern heritage to enjoy these
Ronda Boccio
Lquarles
Jan 30, 2018
Mike
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book very much. If you like stories of the south and the human condition this is the book for you. I read the author's first book "Washed In Water" and looked forward to her next.
Excellent short stories. Mike-Darien
Marissa Smith
Nov 12, 2017
Debbie Miller
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
if the creek don’t rise: Tales from the South features stories of unvarnished folks, unapologetic about their rough edges – working-class people who speak in vernacular. The book’s slice-of-life pieces, set in the American South, take place in cafes, feed stores, and horse racing tracks and tell tales of solitude, grit, and struggle, populated by images of midnight freight trains, hay stacks, beans and cornbread, and collard greens.
This eclectic collection of sometimes dark, sometimes
Destiny Brown
Oct 17, 2019
Lily MacKenzie
May 07, 2017
RABT Book Tours and PR
Oct 23, 2019
Pat Eroh
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love these short stories of mixed genres and interests. This anthology is actually tending toward my history! I love almost every story that is absolutely fantastic, well-written and filled with fun, interesting and compelling stories.

Heather Bane
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book of short stories. Each story is well written and I love the characters. A really great book. I definitely recommend reading.

Leah
Vicky N. Castellano
Mar 02, 2017
Marie
Nov 06, 2019
RABT Book Tours: If the Creek Don't Rise by Nancy Hartney 1 1 Nov 02, 2019 12:35AM

• Every Breath
Nancy Hartney writes non-fiction and short stories. “Washed in Water: Tales from the South” is her debut collection of short stories July 2013.

Previously her short stories have appeared in Voices, a mid-west regional anthology, and Echoes of the Ozarks. Western fiction pieces appear in Cactus Country and Frontier Tales, print and e-zine editions.

Her non-fiction articles and photographs appear in