Start by marking “A Rose Point Holiday (Her Instruments, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Rose Point Holiday (Her Instruments, #4)

A Rose Point Holiday

(Her Instruments #4)

With the Eldritch civil war over, a castle to renovate, and a wedding to prepare for, the last thing Reese is thinking about is taking a break. But the new year is coming and the Eldritch take their holidays very seriously, so Reese decides it can’t hurt to observe the local proprieties. Who knows? Maybe it’ll make good practice for what Felith is calling the wedding of th ...more
Published November 23rd 2016 by Studio MCAH

To ask other readers questions about A Rose Point Holiday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Rose Point Holiday

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
A message from Dr. Prawn, very personal shrimp shrink physician to the person formerly known as ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans).

Her Former Nefariousness (henceforth to be known as ❤❤ Sarah, Cuddly Breeder of Cute Kitties and Snuggly Bunnies ❤❤) is momentarily indisposed. She was so thoroughly ruined by the present series that her beloved murderous children and I were quite reluctantly forced to hand her over to the Deathly Rehabilitation Team (DRT™) of Vile &
Cathy (cathepsut)
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So saccharine-sweet and fluffy, it will give you cavities. Which is ok, as it was intended as holiday reading. Excellent feel-good material for Christmas/New Year or whatever holiday it is for you. It is also full of good ideas for another novel in this particular series or maybe the Pelted Universe as a whole. Should definitely be read after the Her Instruments trilogy.

Part of my Pelted reading challenge, I plan to read them all. Afterword from the author:

So I embarked on this enterprise, and i
Maria Dimitrova
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it

A sugary sweet novel set in the middle of the epilogue of Laisrathera. A "slice of life" type of book that let us see a bit more of the Eldritch traditions and spend a little more time with Reese and her family but without the pressure of saving a world from evil slavers and idiotic idealists. It's so sweet in fact that I suggest you check your blood sugar levels after reading it :D It's capable of warming even the coldest hearts (waves at Sarah!) and makes you want to curl up with a nice cup of
Choko
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
*** 4 ***

A buddy read with my friends at the MacHalos!!!! Because sometimes even we need some pelted romance:):):)

A very pleasant collection of stories following the end of the Eldritch civil war and our new settlers trying to get assimilated to the Eldritch world. The gift giving story was my favorite, since it was very well thought out and very sweet! I love the multitude of races and characters and I can't wait to read more of this Universe!!! Very easy and pleasant to read!!!

As the author s
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
That super loud "squee" you may have heard was me when I saw there was a fourth book in the insanely awesome Her Instruments series. We all have those fictional book couples whom we love so much that we hate to see their stories end, despite the HEA. Reese and Hirianthial are one of mine.

Reese + Hirianthial = so many feels.

This short, sweet and full of holiday goodness novella centers around the holiday season, before the wedding of the ages between off-worlder and non-noble Theresa (Reese) Ed
Quartzen
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fine read to end the year with. This takes place in an offscreen pocket of the epilogue to Laisrathera, from the local gift-giving winter holiday through New Year's Day, and it covers a lot of the emotional settling in and rebuilding in the wake of that story with some sweet moments between Reese and the rest of the cast too. Most of all I like how Reese has been allowed to grow and change without the person she was before, shaped by her life up until that point, being demonized the way that o ...more
Diane
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not the place to start, but warm and wonderful!

I'm so glad I decided to go ahead and get this holiday story, which takes place during the epilogue of book 3. (I debated waiting: I usually hunt or wait for sales, but for books 2 & 3, I didn't. I devoured this trilogy within days. So, couldn't the end of the crisis conditions on-world content me for a while? Answer: nope!) The author's note explains that it grew from a planned mere short story, an extra serialized on her website. Sometimes the
Cassandra Cridland
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is like "icing on the cake" for this series. I particularly liked how Reese and her crew settled in and created a home you'd love to live inside. I'd let them plan my holidays anytime.
Amy Aelleah
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is no plot to this story, no 'big bad,' no issue to solve and overcome during the course of the story. Which would often mean that I was bored. But this is Reese and her (ever expanding, now planet-side) crew! I loved getting to spend more time with them, even for as sappy as it was and it it just makes me want to hug them. (Except for, maybe, the Eldritch. Don't want to make them TOO uncomfortable.) But, anyway, this story takes place DURING the end of the third book - because, if I remem ...more
Rabbit
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Warm and delightful

This was actually the first of the pelted novels I read, and the one that got me to read the rest of Her Instruments. It is a warm and comforting study in what it means to really think about and care for others, against the lush, but still familiar backdrop of an Eldritch holiday season.

And if you’ll permit me a spoiler, the bit with the eldritch boy and the Hinichi Guardkin makes me tear up every. Single. Time.
Adam Windsor
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, sf-fantasy
What happens after you've defeated the bad guy, and instead of just trying to stay alive you have to actually try and build a future? Well, in the "Her Instruments" series you get this charming little gem of a coda to the main series. It's sweet and light and thoroughly 'cosy', and it totally wouldn't work if you hadn't seen the characters go through all sorts of difficult times before this. But you have, and so I read the whole thing with a smile on my face.
Alice
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Must read for Series

Always a delight to hear more about Reese and her Eldrich Prince. This is more than just a novella as it furthers the plot on the Eldrich end of the story. The author sees it as a bridge between this series and the darker Prince's Game Series. These characters are great.
Cynthia Cyan
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holiday fun, with a twist.

Five star fun. No really! It helps a lot if you've read the other books but this can stand alone.
HEA is rarely shown in most romances. This story gives you all HEA you could want. Along with all the work it takes to get there.
Settle in a comfy chair and enjoy the holidays at Rose Point.

Megan
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of the best things about self-publishing is that books like this exist. Novel length epilogues where nothing bad happens and everything is sweet and good and the characters you've followed for a trilogy have a good time. I mean obviously I wouldn't want every book I read to be void of angst, but sometimes it's exactly what you need.
Rain
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was really sweet and I enjoyed it. Not quite as much as the regular series but honestly, it was such a lovely little read. It's a nice "slice of life" between the larger series and fills in some gaps of what happens between books.
Zeta Syanthis
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I almost don't want to say "OMG Hogarth Love in book form" again, but it's too gosh-danged true! I read this, couldn't get over it, re-read my favorite parts for about a week, and then re-read it again on a plane ride to Tucson. I think I'm still stunned.
Tamara Edmond
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was so fluffy, tooth rotting fluff. Normally that would annoy me but it was real nice for our crew to be able to have a chill moment. They have suffered enough traumatic experiences; finally a moment of peace and it was sweet.
Angela Hunt
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful

I think this will be my holiday comfort read every year. I love it more with each re-reading. Love love love.
Hendrix Eva
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Top Quotes:

"If you don't know who's fighting with who and who's sleeping with who, you make your life a lot harder."

"All good things are made with effort. Families. Gardens. Worlds. Lives."
David Murray
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Kind of book #3.8 not #4, as this whole book takes place just before the end of book #3. Overall I enjoyed the series.
Heather Henkel
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book

This was another great book in this series. I really hope we get another couple books with this cast of characters.
Samantha
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
I think i loved this book the most. However, it is definitely not a stand alone. But I loved getting more insights to the Eldritch life and customs.
Janet
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A lovely way to say farewell

I've been enjoying this series for several days now since buying Earthrise, the first in the series. The characters come alive and are so much fun. Hopefully we'll see more of them in the future. Like maybe a story about Reese's daughter?
Shannon
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure that this is a book that, strictly speaking, needed to be written. But I appreciate that it was. I loved getting a chance to see all of the characters happy, exchanging presents, and dealing with nothing more complicated than a few confused villagers after the roller coaster ride that was the last book of the series. It's purely self-indulgent, but I'm glad Hogarth indulged, and I'm equally glad that I did, too.
Eric Hays-Strom
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I first read this last year as it was being released in serial form. This year I bought it so that I could read it more at my own pace.

I love it again! It is a very moving, heart-warming story of a "family of choice" sharing a winter holiday. Oh, how I want to be with that family, experiencing the love and the happiness and the memories!

"A Rose Point Holiday" will be part of my Christmas reading for years to come!
London Pink
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Great Glimpse into more Eldritch Custom

I appreciated learning more about all a Seal bearer would have to do for their people and with the holidays and a wedding to prepare for, it added a light, comedic, romantic touch to everything. What a great completion to their story, I miss them every time I stop reading. Lol.
Lucca
rated it it was ok
Dec 30, 2017
Marni
Oct 26, 2017
Kathy Lee
Jul 09, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Daughter of two Cuban political exiles, M.C.A. Hogarth was born a foreigner in the American melting pot and has had a fascination for the gaps in cultures and the bridges that span them ever since. She has been many things—-web database architect, product manager, technical writer and massage therapist—-but is currently a full-time parent, artist, writer and anthropologist to aliens, both human an ...more

Her Instruments (4 books)
  • Earthrise (Her Instruments, #1)
  • Rose Point (Her Instruments, #2)
  • Laisrathera (Her Instruments, #3)
“That’s how the universe keeps going, arii. It makes itself new in every generation that discovers it for the first time.” 0 likes