Start by marking “Far Rainbow / The Second Invasion from Mars” as Want to Read:
Far Rainbow / The Second Invasion from Mars

Far Rainbow / The Second Invasion from Mars

Two Soviet science fiction novels by the Strugatsky brothers. Introduction by Theodore Sturgeon.
Published October 1980 by Collier/Macmillan Publishing Co. (first published October 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Far Rainbow / The Second Invasion from Mars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Far Rainbow / The Second Invasion from Mars

Start your review of Far Rainbow / The Second Invasion from Mars
Matus
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
5 stars for Far Rainbow; still uncertain where I'd place The Second Invasion from Mars.

Far Rainbow is my favorite kind of Strugatsky: bizarre physics, incredible characters, a rich and surprising plot, and (akin to PKD) an inability to measure or understand the powerful events sweeping the characters along.. (Personal note: my favorite character, Leonid, gave me words I will strive to live by: (paraphrased) "In over a hundred years of life, I've never met an unpleasant person".)

(PKD versus Strug
John Jr.
Sep 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Charles Dee Mitchell, J. S.
Shelves: sf
In a blurb praising another of their novels on the back cover of this book, Ursula K. Le Guin describes the Strugatsky brothers as combining Gogol and Chekhov. You can find Gogol the satirist and Chekhov the humanist in the two novelettes contained here, and pretty evenly divided too.

In Far Rainbow, a calamity is spreading across the planet Rainbow, caused by a science experiment that’s gotten out of control. The science doesn’t really matter; it's important only insofar as any disruption in hum
Apocryphal
Jan 17, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Two novellas in one book, both by the Strugatsky brothers, with an introduction by Theodore Sturgeon. Both very different! And neither quite like any of the other Strugatsky brothers books I've read to date (Hard to be a God, Roadside Picnic, Definitely Maybe, The Dead Mountaineer's Inn, Monday Begins on Saturday)

Far Rainbow is sent on a distant colony planet of the same name. It's a science colony, through there are also some tourists and children's colonies on the planet. When a deadly 'wave'
Maria Kapari
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Far Rainbow is a classic Strugatsky book, full of frightening philosophic questions, complicated physics and complex characters. Although nothing could ever outreach their masterpiece “Roadside picknick”, The Far Rainbow is another brilliant example of Strugatsky’s humanism and understanding of our world.

Daruga, a far planet in the Solar system, has been transformed to a playground of extremely unpredictable physical experiments. Science is the most honest attempt of mankind to understand t
Dixie
3-1/2. Maybe 4; this is one I'm going to have to think about for awhile. ...more
John
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Both of these short novels are delightful. The Strugatskys have a real gift for writing thought-provoking stories that are also entertaining.
Karen
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Matus was right, the first story was interesting and the second story was kind of weird. Even now, ruminating on the second story, I'm not quite sure what happened. Far Rainbow was intriguing, and I wish they had said a little more about the experiments, but enough was said that you could suspend disbelief and go with it, I think. ...more
Roman
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Rating 3/5 for "The Second Invasion from Mars" ...more
Don Gubler
Aug 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Far Rainbow is outstanding in its heartbreaking simplicity.
Mat Mecall
András Kovács
Feb 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Terrible Old Games You've Probably Never Heard Of
  • Endymion (Hyperion Cantos, #3)
  • The Rise of Endymion (Hyperion Cantos, #4)
  • The First World War: A Miscellany
  • A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World
  • The Fall of Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos #2)
  • The Evidence
  • Sleep Donation
  • Extraterrestrial: The First Sign of Intelligent Life Beyond Earth
  • Captain Blood Returns
  • Clade
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
  • Ekspedycja do piekła
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • The Birth of the Beat Generation: Visionaries, Rebels, and Hipsters, 1944-1960 (Repr of 1995 ed) (Circles of the Twentieth Century)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
The brothers Arkady Strugatsky [Russian: Аркадий Стругацкий] and Boris Strugatsky [Russian: Борис Стругацкий] were Soviet-Russian science fiction authors who collaborated through most of their careers.

Arkady Strugatsky was born 25 August 1925 in Batumi; the family later moved to Leningrad. In January 1942, Arkady and his father were evacuated from the Siege of Leningrad, but Arkady was the only s