Start by marking “Merchants of Virtue (The Huguenot Connection trilogy Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Merchants of Virtue (The Huguenot Connection trilogy Book 1)

Merchants of Virtue

(The Huguenot Connection #1)

Would you denounce your faith to defend your home and family? France, 1685. Jeanne is the wife of a once-wealthy merchant, but now she risks losing everything. Louis XIV's soldiers will stop at nothing to forcibly convert the country's Huguenots to Catholicism. The men ransack Jeanne's belongings and threaten her children. One by one, Jeanne watches her Protestant neighbor ...more
Published November 25th 2016 by Bloomtree Press

To ask other readers questions about Merchants of Virtue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merchants of Virtue

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ
Loretta
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A compelling story about the persecution of the Huguenots. It made me wonder whether I would have shown the same courage.
Jennifer (JC-S)
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
‘The King’s intention is to eradicate all forms of religion, except Catholicism, naturally.’

The novel opens in France, on 19 August 1685, with Jeanne Delpech de Castanet enjoying a visit with her sister Suzanne. Jeanne and her family are Huguenots, her husband Jacob is a wealthy merchant. Their lives are about to change.

First, a little background. Huguenot was the name given, in the early part of the 16th century, to French Protestants who followed the teachings of John Calvin. Although the Edic
Beth Gibson
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book much more than I expected to. Often times stories set in this era are slow-paced and too much like a medieval soap opera. Set in historical context of religious persecution, I can see many parallels in modern times. It also touches on something that I personally find disagreement with -- and that is religious conversion. I don't agree with it, especially when one faction over another makes promises about how you can get to heaven when they really know no such thing. This book ...more
Brett
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a book I read which I thought would be right out of my comfort zone, but thought I would persevere and do a review to inform those who would be the same as me and might get this on a whim.
I thought it would be a hard book to read because it's not my genre and to be honest I did feel that way for the first few pages but to my great suprise I found myself transfixed even to the point of worrying about the delpech family. It's a great read with some amazing facts written into the text so
Ginger Pollard
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a good historical book about the time of King James II. The King wanted the people to all be Catholic. This made for a hard time for the Huguenots. It tells of their struggles to practice their own religious beliefs. It's a book that you have to pay close attention or you will get lost. I look forward to reading book two in the series.
Annemarie
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this read about the struggles of the Protestants in France. I often don't me the mix of languages but in this case the use of French words made perfect sense so I didn't mind. The story is super interesting and at times baffling. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
Susan
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very well written and compelling book, I truly enjoyed reading it. The depth of the characters, the loyalty to religious beliefs and love of family was inspiring. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historic fiction.
Quilting Tangent
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful! Read it! Read about what life was like for the Huguenot's (Lutherans) of France in 1685 under King Louis XIV's rule. Experience life through the Delpech family. The story is so real and touching.
Susan
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's OK, obviously leads right to the 2nd book which I just started
Will reserve review til I have "the rest of the story" to see if the ending of this one makes any sense
Jason Atkinson
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic book! I rarely read fiction, but this was a great historical story about the persecution of the Huguenots in France. I look forward to the next installation Voyage of Malice.
Belinda
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it
The author brings the period to life. He has researched well. His characters are life like and human. This is a good start to a planned trilogy.
Emmy
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I usually pick up a book to escape into a new and different world. But there was something about this book that begged to be experienced.
This historically rich encounter with the past was phenomenal. The writing was exquisite and enchantingly emotional.
Writers don't become authors. Authors are born from the heart, when their words touches another's.
Jill
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Though not usually the genre that I choose to read, I found Merchants of Virtue to be a very interesting account of one family's experience of religious persecution. I found myself admiring their steadfast faith and cheering for their resolve. Although a fictional account, this novel nonetheless does justice to a very unsettling time in Christian history. Very well-written with excellent character and plot development. I look forward to following the family's story in book 2.
Angala Fox
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book and voluntarily chose to review.
This was a great historical romance. It had interesting historical data and characters. I didn't want to put it down until the end. I can't wait to read more from this author.
Jessica Geise
Joan Murray
Nov 28, 2017
Heather
Apr 02, 2018

The Huguenot Connection (3 books)
  • Voyage of Malice (The Huguenot Connection Book 2)
  • Land of Hope: A Historical Fiction Novel (The Huguenot Chronicles Book 3)