Start by marking “Need You Dead (Roy Grace, #13)” as Want to Read:
Need You Dead (Roy Grace, #13)

Need You Dead (Roy Grace #13)

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  1,257 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
Roy Grace, creation of the CWA Diamond Dagger award winning author Peter James, faces his most mysterious case yet in Need You Dead.

Lorna Belling, desperate to escape the marriage from hell, falls for the charms of another man who promises her the earth. But, as Lorna finds, life seldom follows the plans you’ve made. A chance photograph on a client’s mobile phone changes e
Published May 18th 2017 by Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about Need You Dead, please sign up.

Lesley Mumbray They do stand alone but I always think it's more satisfying to read them in order and as Roy Grace has a complicated back story it is worth doing so.

Bibi
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review to come.
Christine
As a long term totally addicted huge fan of the Roy Grace series, let me scream loudly with excitement! Need You Dead is here. This is the thirteenth book in the Brighton based crime series, by the much loved Peter James. We are back in the lives of our most favourite policeman in the whole world! Life couldn’t get any better.

As with any series that has evolved beautifully, we know the main characters; Roy and his wife Cleo, Roy’s sidekick Glenn Branson and his dreadful boss, Cassian Pewe. We ha
Bettie☯
May 07, 2017 marked it as wish-list

Description: Lorna Belling, desperate to escape the marriage from hell, falls for the charms of another man who promises her the earth. But, as Lorna finds, life seldom follows the plans you've made. A chance photograph on a client's mobile phone changes everything for her.

When the body of a woman is found in a bath in Brighton, Detective Superintendent Roy Grace is called to the scene. At first it looks an open and shut case with a clear prime suspect. Then other scenarios begin to present them
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
‘WHAT MAKES A KILLER?’

Need You Dead is the latest release from International bestselling author Peter James. Published on 18th May by MacMillan, this is the landmark 13th novel in the Detective Superintendent Roy Grace series. Dedicated to authenticity, Peter James bases his books upon real life experiences he has witnessed through shadowing the Sussex Police.

I’m almost ashamed to admit this, but it’s my first time reading a book from Peter James.

Please do read on for my thoughts...

‘Sometimes
Gloria Feit
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Roy Grace, Detective Superintendent and head of the high crime unit, faces a dilemma in the latest in this wonderful police procedural series, now numbering thirteen: evidence that one of his own squad may be a murderer. Such a possibility goes against everything Grace believes in. Such a possibility betrays the trust implicit in the job in which each policeman relies on all the others to watch his back.

The possible culprit is faced with an overwhelming accumulation of evidence in a murder case,
Lisa
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another brilliant installment in the detective series featuring Detective Superintendent Roy Grace.

I can't reveal any of the story as it would spoil previous books but just know that it is excellent as always and if this a genre you enjoy please read from the beginning!

These books just get better and better!!!

I'm a huge fan of Peter James and have also read a few of his 'non-Roy Grace' books (he has written horror/thrillers as stand-alone) and they are also brilliant so keep your eyes peeled for
Roy
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great quick fun crime. Roy Grace seems like a likeable character but doesnt seem to ever have flaws. Some technical police procedural terms and plotting was pretty good. A little predictable with the ending. Some parts plodded along, especially the scenes where the police just discussed 5he case. Ive always enjoyed crime novels set overseas and this is was very very enjoyable.
Tracey Walsh
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The 13th in the Roy Grace series. Peter James never disappoints and this book is one of his best.

"When the body of a woman is found in a bath in Brighton, Detective Superintendent Roy Grace is called to the scene. At first it looks an open-and-shut case with a clear prime suspect. Then other scenarios begin to present themselves...and to his utter disbelief, the case turns more sinister than Grace could ever have imagined."

For fans of this series a treat is in store as familiar characters are in
Lela
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Desperation

This series of Roy Grace books always get me turning pages and sneaking moments to read just a little more. The characters are familiar by now and each book shows development in both work and personal relationships. The attention to police procedural detail is stellar. We can follow both the investigation and the thoughts of the unknown killer and then feel the panic when the killer's identity is discovered. An interesting twist this time is Roy's newly discovered son, Bruno, from his
Allyson Hayes
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have read all 13 of Peter James' Inspector Grace novels & unfortunately this will be my last! Although the story lines are extremely clever & imaginative they are completely overpowered by too much police procedure. They are bordering on a non fiction police information book. Mr James please concentrate on the plot & give Roy & ourselves a break!!!
Sharon
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lorna Belling is having an affair. Her lover, Greg is also married, but promises to leave his wife. Lorna believes him until she sees photographs of him on holiday, with his wife. Fed up with being with her abusive and violent husband and lied to by Greg, she decides to leave them both. She is later found dead in her bath at the flat she used to meet Greg in. Who killed her, and who is the mysterious ‘Greg’?

Roy Grace is put in charge of the case. He’s not sure if it is a case of murder or suicid
Zoe
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly clever, extremely fast-paced and wonderfully unpredictable!

This is a skillfully executed, perfectly crafted police procedural that sees Detective Superintendent Roy Grace leaving Temporary Detective Inspector Guy Batchelor in charge of the latest murder while he heads to Germany to meet the son he never knew he had, but as often is the case this investigation may not be as open-and-shut as first believed and may just get a little bit more complicated before the case is closed.

The wri
Cleo Bannister
Lorna Belling has been found dead in a bath tub in a rented flat in Brighton. Already known to the police because she’s reported her husband for domestic abuse Roy Grace sees the investigation as a good one for Guy Batchelor to be Deputy Senior Investigating Officer for a couple of reasons: one to allow him to learn the ropes and secondly because Roy has to fly to Germany to pick up his son Bruno to bring him back for the funeral of his mother.

Lorna is a hairdresser who works from home, her phon
Sandra
May 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
I am so disappointed! I have read and liked every book in the Roy Grace series but this one was just okay. It seemed to be so much more impersonal than the other books and the characters were not their usual selves. There were a lot of dry, boring police procedural passages which I usually enjoy in these books, but it didn't work this time. I confess to skimming through much of the novel and skipping to the end. I didn't have a clue who the killer was and was surprised, so that's something going ...more
Adele Mitchell
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I am currently wondering how much Peter James gets paid to product place in his books, this is littered with brand names, and is really starting to grind me. But saying that, a good story with many twists and turns, I fell for the plot twist hook line & sinker. Cleo still annoys me, but we have the mysterious son to know focus on. I had to look at my previous reviews to see if I thought that the series was starting to drop off (I thought I hadn't enjoyed the last one that much) but turns out ...more
Sharon
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Need You Dead, Roy Grace #13, Peter James. iBooks. 8/6/2017. 3/5.
Read them all and there is no doubt this writer is very good and his research and need to have procedurals and detail in every aspect of policing perfect is admirable. Even lists and descriptions at the end of the book. I like Roy and his family plights and his colleagues and this book had some very interesting twists of a murder that escalated into so many possible directions, while other cases and personal issues were being deal
Mike Sumner
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow. I am away on holiday (vacation)!

Now back from a most enjoyable break in Prague. So, what of Need You Dead? Nothing short of brilliant! Peter James's plots are so convincing, so thorough - probably the best author when it comes to police procedurals. Like so many other readers I feel like I know Roy Grace. I have followed his career through thirteen episodes, the trauma caused by the sudden disappearance of his wife Sandy some ten years ago, finally tracking her down in Germany,
Andrew
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
[Need You Dead] by Peter James
#13 in the Roy Grace Series
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐❤

This still has to be one of my favourite series. I love the way you feel part of the investigation, more so than in a lot of Detective books where things are kept back from you, and particularly enjoy the regular team meetings where we get to hear people's thoughts. It is good to hear things occasionally from the killer's or victims perspective. Peter James hasn't lost it as didn't want to put this one down.
Liane
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't know how Peter James keeps doing it, but I'm glad he does! Need You Dead is another absolute cracker of a book. Love to catch up with Roy Grace and his team, and I can't wait to see how Bruno's character develops 😀
Michelle Scott
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As always, brilliant

The Roy Grace series has consistently been a fantastic read and this book is no exception. It is just story telling at its best.
Svein F Hestvaag
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
An ok plot, but what makes this series worth reading right now, is Grace’s domestic issues. Clue: Look for the spider, find it and you’ll be reading the next book no matter what.
~ Cariad ~
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holy Shit!
That was fantastic...I did not see that ending coming at all!!
God, I need the book 14 ASAP!!
Rhonda Lomazow
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another true page turner in this terrific series.Peter James is a go to author for an engrossing read already looking forward to the next in the series,
Jenny Bicket
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What another great book by Peter James. I've been a big Peter James fan for many years and his Roy Grace series has never disappointed. We follow an investigation into the murder of Lorna Belling. It seems like an open and shut case but the more the team look into the murder the more and more things just don't seem right. We also follow Roy's adjustment to his recent family troubles and see him becoming more of a father than I think he ever expected.

Peter James grips you from page 1 and I found
Tundextra
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Very much a whodunnit that leaves you guessing until towards the end of the book! Almost Agatha Christie like in its execution, with a number of red herrings and/or dead ends. Nowhere near the better books in the series but still an essential read for the series with significant steps in the Sandy storyline. Hope you enjoy :-)
John Reid
I have read every novel in this series and thoroughly enjoyed the majority of them. Sadly, "Need You Dead" was a major disappointment.

The first indication that this might not reach the heights of the other novels was the factual error in describing the paypal scam. The buyer of the car completed the ebay checkout and paid with paypal but was supposedly scammed in the process.

There are plenty of paypal scams out there but they would not happen in this way. If the buyer purchased through ebay th
Libby Andrews
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was great to get the next in the Roy Grace series. I was particularly interested in the Bruno storyline and it didn't disappoint- Brunos is definitely going to be an offender! I'm also still not sure that Sandy is dead! The main plot in this book was OK - clever the way there were 4 suspects, but implausible that the killer was a cop. Well done Peter James - keep them coming, your slow build plots are superb
Carol
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The body of a woman is found in her bathtub and D. S. Roy Grace assigns the case to Temporary D.I. Guy Batchelor. Roy Grace's personal life with his son Bruno also features in the story. I felt something was not quite right with Bruno, but it was only hinted at. I am thinking maybe a thread for the next book?
The plot moved along at a good pace with twists and turns that kept the suspense up to the end. Brilliantly written with well developed characters, I enjoyed all the books in this series an
Catrina mccafferty
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well what can I say, brilliant as usual. Roy Grace is definitely one of my favourite detectives. There are lots of twists and turns in this book which kept me guessing right till the end. I can't wait for the next instalment.
Kevin McMahon
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Decent enough plot in this one but spoiled again for me by Roy being the one in pursuit of the suspect. The side story with Cassian Pewe was a bit predictable and ditto with Bruno. Don't know how long it will be before we learn that the DNA profile obtained by taking something from Roy's old house proves not to be his profile.

Given that within a couple of weeks of the last crime this book focuses on another murder this series could go up to about 100 before supercop gets to retirement age.

I alwa
207356
Peter James is the international bestselling author of many award-winning novels. His Detective Superintendent Roy Grace series, set in Brighton, has been translated into thirty-seven languages with worldwide sales of over eighteen million copies, and has given him eleven consecutive Sunday Times number ones. In 2015 WHSmith customers publicly voted him the Greatest Crime Author of All Time and in ...more
More about Peter James...

Roy Grace (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Dead Simple (Roy Grace, #1)
  • Looking Good Dead (Roy Grace, #2)
  • Not Dead Enough (Roy Grace, #3)
  • Dead Man's Footsteps (Roy Grace, #4)
  • Dead Tomorrow (Roy Grace, #5)
  • Dead Like You (Roy Grace, #6)
  • Dead Man's Grip (Roy Grace, #7)
  • Not Dead Yet (Roy Grace, #8)
  • Dead Man's Time (Roy Grace, #9)
  • Want You Dead (Roy Grace, #10)