Start by marking “The Barefoot Investor: The Only Money Guide You'll Ever Need” as Want to Read:
The Barefoot Investor: The Only Money Guide You'll Ever Need

The Barefoot Investor: The Only Money Guide You'll Ever Need

This is the only money guide you'll ever need

That's a bold claim, given there are already thousands of finance books on the shelves.

So what makes this one different?

Well, you won't be overwhelmed with a bunch of 'tips' … or a strict budget (that you won't follow).

You'll get a step-by-step formula: open this account, then do this; call this person, and say this; invest

Published November 22nd 2016 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about The Barefoot Investor, please sign up.
Tony Cook I'm only about a quarter of the way through, but can say that Scott uses plenty of Aussie slang and refers to things that are specifically Australian.…moreI'm only about a quarter of the way through, but can say that Scott uses plenty of Aussie slang and refers to things that are specifically Australian.
For example, you may not be familiar with the Australian finance terms:
"Two parts of bugger-all" or
"a bees dick"
He talks about superannuation funds (comparable to 401(k)??)
Health insurance is very different between AU & USA
It feels like it will be a quick read and I am sure that the general concepts would probably translate.(less)

T-bone
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've recently decided to become a millionaire. I figured reading a money guide was an essential first step. Scott outlines 9 other steps I will need to follow if I am to realise my goal. I feel like I can call the author Scott, because his personality, and indeed life details are included in every page. Did you know Scott lost his home in a bushfire? You will know it if you read this book because Scotty mentions it on every second page. Despite my snide remarks I enjoyed this book. I admire peop ...more
Laura Cordero
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Some good, straightforward advice - easy to understand, but presented as sexist and heteronormative and classist AF. But looking past this - the financial foundations are helpful and great.

Not sure about the advice on relying partially on the pension (will we even still have this government mandated by the time I retire? I'm 30 for reference. Our rapidly ageing population seems to be pointing towards an unsustainable future for the pension), and investing in superannuation (the government alrea
Nicole
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was the easiest and quickest non fiction read I've ever had. Scott knows how to turn something as dry as finance into something engaging to read. Not only that, but he gives you concrete steps to improve your finance and tips about what to look for with no bullshit.

Honestly something I wish I had read straight out of high school and will recommend to everyone I know.
Amy Norris
Ok, for the average person, a lot of what is said in this book is probably good advice. I guess I underestimated myself with how financially savvy I am because I was already either doing most of what is suggested or it didn’t apply to me. Like all self help books I’ve read I didn’t agree with everything and I don’t believe that one financial plan can fit every persons situation.

Overall this book has generally good advice, and is easy to follow. It is a quick read and amusing (Scott has a fun pe
Jie
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you only ever read one personal finance book, make sure it is this one. Scott Pape once again blows every expectation out of the water with his latest book, a definitive introduction to personal finance.

As someone who considers himself well versed in the intricacies of money management I was again struck with awe at how readable the book was for anyone at any stage of their financial learning journey, from the complete beginner for whom this book is eye opening, to a personal finance veteran
Michael Vennard
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Good financial advice wrapped up in repetitive, cringe-inducing dad jokes. I'd recommend this as both a guide for managing your money and a shining example of why comedy is hard.
Bronwyn
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
3 stars for the financial advice, 1 star for tone, which is probably best described as 'patronising Aussie bloke'. God knows there are enough of those around already.

I also couldn't stand all his hypothetical 'this is me, this is you' dialogue throughout, and I'm unconvinced about using Tinder as a metaphor for the best approach for finding a financial advisor. And Barefoot 'date night' as a single person? Taking yourself out for dinner to look at your own bank accounts and superannuation and ca
Mehdi Hassan
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
An Australian's version of "I will teach you to be rich".

Excellent Book. Practical, Actionable advice. Plenty of directions to financial institutions and personnel for each category of wealth. Definitely one for the shelf in a physical copy.

On the downside, some biased information to support his own arguments, but all done with good intention. I am looking forward to scrutinizing certain sections of this book, when my time comes.
Paul
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Look, I'm not great with money. I have managed to save some when I've needed to, but usually I'm the kind of person that wants to spend, spend spend. As I found myself unemployed, borrowing money to pay for rent and food and feeling bad about life, I also found Scott's book. This book motivated me to take control of my finances more so than I ever have before. It showed me the mistakes I've made in the past with money and how to correct them. It taught me how to structure my bank accounts and ho ...more
Zacharycbruce
May 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
I think this book was OK. If all you were going to do to try and sort out your personal finances was to read one book, you could do much worse than this.
Personally for me there was too much self-help happy motivational jargon throughout the book, and some pretty unhelpful advice. I don't have the book in front of me now but recall that he talks about just working more if you need more money. A great help to the thousands of under-employed people across the country, no doubt.
He also fails miserab
Rachael
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this just might be the best book that I have ever read.

It made me laugh and cry. I want to buy a million of these and give them to strangers.

Just go and buy it - don't borrow it, you'll need to read and re read while on your path to financial freedom.

I love that Scott has covered so many financial situations so easily and in all the same steps. This advice is suitable for those barely making ends meet (or not at all) but also for those who earn mega bucks. It's all relevant.

Just go b
Matthew
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Simple, yet enthralling read. Great strategies and a framework that will work for me. I can't wait to knuckle down now and build my financial future.
Lily Malone
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So the beginning of this was a bit 'rah rah' motivational for me... with lots about the author's personal scenarios on his farm (there was a fire) and more to do with alpacas and planting trees. Once we got past the metaphorical though, this book got extremely useful, very practical, and it got there fast.
It nails down to scripts to empower you to talk with your bank manager, super-fund manager, insurance brokers etc; and what to look out for in terms of fees and costs on everyday bank accounts/
Kerrie
Great examples and stories to explain what could be a dry subject - learnt a lot from reading what is s a text to read over again to digest bit by bit. Began this when on holiday and got to page 5 then life intervened. Once picked it up it was easy to complete in a few short sittings. Sensible points. Great recapping of action points /suggestions. Good for goal setting be it for looking at financial matters or a project or other goal. Appreciated the author's own honesty and sharing of own life ...more
Kristy Boekee
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only finance book I've ever read, and I loved it. Practical, genuine advice that is easy to understand.
Steph
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a really great read. It’s a finance book but just so... altruistic. It’s sure to make a lot of financial planners and bankers mad, with clear explanations of all the ways we’re getting ripped off. It’s also really easy to read and the author clearly has a good understanding of what average Australians are like, based on the thousands of people he’s talked to about their finances. I also like that it applies to almost anyone who has a job, from teenagers to those about to retire.

The only
Ahc
Aug 09, 2018 added it
This book is painfully white, heterosexual and blokey. The writing style was very grating.
However the advice within (financial literacy, how to pay off debts, don't ignore you're super, how to save, how to be generous with money) is rock solid. I also appreciated the case study examples, and you cant help but appreciate Scott's honesty and own personal lessons.
Recommended
Helen
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2017
This book gets 5 stars for being Australian, and for being the only finance book I've ever finished. It loses 2 stars for using lowest-common-denominator language (we're not at a BBQ now, Scott, and if we were I'd tell you to watch your language around my kids) and telling everyone to drink alcohol every 5 seconds. It just felt like the guy who's trying too hard to fit in with people he secretly believes aren't as smart as him.
Overall I like his financial approach, and I wish I'd had this book
TheMadHatter
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars.

A friend at work was raving about this book that she said has helped her save thousands this year alone. She brought her copy in for me to read, but she needed it back within a few days for the holidays. This means that I had to read this quickly and this means that Mr Pape and I were having a few teething issues, issues that we may not have had if we had a longer courtship :-P.

Don't get me wrong. I love a good Dad joke (even if I am usually the one saying the joke) and
Kellie Hallam
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a finance book this was very easy to read (although admittedly I haven't read any other finance books to compare it to). I liked the way it was written, as if you were just chatting to your mate at the pub (although on occassion it felt a little forced or over the top).

The Barefoot Steps are simply laid out and would be easy to follow but I did feel that there were a few things that were somewhat glossed over....I guess to get you to sign up for his Barefoot Blueprint 😊

I certainly learned
Corey
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Summary:
This book is amazing. It's clear, practical, effective and an easy read. After reading Unshakeable and MONEY Master the Game: 7 Simple Steps to Financial Freedom, this was a bit more easy to implement as it is specifically targeted towards Australia, where the above two books are targeted towards the American economy. Additionally, Scott provides advice that is easy to action.

I would recommend this book to everyone. Even if you just take a few of the steps in the book (which I'll outline
Esther
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I feel like I've joined a cult - not just buying and reading this book, but also planning to implement a lot of its advice. Everywhere around me people are "Barefooters", talking about this book, and I'm even planning a few "Barefoot date nights" to get things started started my husband. And I learned way more from this book than I thought I would, given our finances are already in pretty good shape.

The writing is simple and easy to read - it's certainly written to be accessible to people who n
Ange Rogers
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you only read one book about personal finance in your life, THIS is the book to read! Scott writes about money in a way that helps you forget that your actually reading a book about managing money.........which can be boring AF. I now have the knowledge and confidence to make some small changes that will benefit my husband and I into retirement and see my children's financial futures secured. FUCK.YES.BAREFOOT! 💪
Kate Arrowsmith
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The layout feels a little homemade and some of the examples made me scrunch my nose a little (why assume everyone living at home with their parents is having their mother do their hair?!) - but I read this in one day and already applied a bunch of his ideas. It's a very easy-to-read and easy-to-understand guide to finances, aimed at an Australian market. Definitely recommended for everyone, no matter where they are on their financial path, to get their head around how everything works.
Justin Walshaw
Apparently, the 7-Eleven attendant thinks you're a wanker for using your Visa, but I like to think that he shows a general interest in MY desire to purchase a $4 bag of lollies, a pack of darts and some pain-killers on a Monday when the coffee queue is out the door ridiculous, you dick-head.
Brendan Brooks
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Very solid, practical, it is a resource and a plan rather than a "finance book". Thoroughly recommend it and look forward to seeing results from the principles it shares. It's like I have been let in on a heap of secrets! Audiobook is fantastic (Scott reads himself) as you hear the emphasis and emotion, as well as helping with the humour.
Suzy Dominey
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If only this book was about when I was young,I may have been a trillionaire by now. Written for the average person ,so unlike other financial books where you get lost in legal and financial terms.
Anna
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone needs to read this book!! It is so easy to read (how can a finance book be so uplifting and emotional?). And the best part about it is it's written for Aussies so is specific to our banks/superannuation/wills/stock market. Reading this will save most people thousands (or tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands) of dollars. The time spent reading this will beo the best payrate you'll receive.
Jo
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Never would have believed that reading a financial advice book would be entertaining !
Grace
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm pretty much one of those "New Year, New Me" people every year, but with books.
Last year it was the Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up (which I'm still trying to enact in my everyday life to varied success,) this year I went with The Barefoot Investor, as my plans this year were to just save money.
This book makes it sound very simple. No budgets, just "buckets". Specifically "Blow", "Mojo" and "Grow" buckets (or bank accounts, if you will.)
I think Scott Pape might occasionally suffer from Wh
Pip
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: money-management
First up, I'm a mortgage broker and have worked in financial planning previously so I'm never going to give this book 5 stars!

With that aside, I can appreciate the fact that this book provides everyday Australian's with a simple, easy to follow budget and financial strategy for life. It suits the Australian dream, buy a house, pay off the house, then work towards retirement.

The budgeting strategy is pure gold. Scott shares my disdain for the large retailers and their "no interest for XX months"
Jason Pettus
Like a lot of these types of financial books, there actually is a magazine article's worth of great advice here, although you unfortunately have to wade through a full-length book's worth of cartoonishly unnecessary filler to get to it; plus, by and large it's not anything you can't learn by taking ten minutes to read Harold Pollack's "9 Simple Money Rules On an Index Card" meme that you can easily find for free through a Google search on the term. If you can't follow the rules just by reading t ...more
Ita
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this book to anyone, no matter what stage of life you are in financially, it will help you get financial freedom.

I finished the copy I borrowed from the library, and even though I gave my son a copy for Christmas, I will buy another copy for myself. This way my husband can read it as well and can participate in our barefoot date nights! I'm ready to put all the steps into practice and I already feel happier knowing that "I've got this!"
Tom TG
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: finance
Scott's money guide is specific to the Australian context and provides a very simple but achievable blueprint for achieving financial independence. Useful if you're neck-high in debt and do not possess a basic level of financial literacy or a semblance of common sense. It does not, however, cater to the would-be 'investor' as the title insinuates, so if you've got the basics covered (debt is bad, compound interest is a big deal, don't buy liabilities) you'll find yourself wanting.

I would absolut
Zora
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you listen to books on Audible, then you’ll be familiar with their list of Best Sellers and the weekly emails that list the “popular books that members are loving right now”. Well, this book has been included on those lists since I joined. So, about 6 months ago, after wondering what all the fuss is about with this book and why it’s so popular, I finally added it to my Wishlist.

Anyway, last weekend I was at a birthday party and was talking to someone who raved about how this book changed his
Tracey
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bloody brilliant!
I had seen this book on bookshop shelves and knew it was a bestseller, but as I had read other 'money' books in the past that hadn't made much sense to me, I didn't felt the pull to pick it up, even though the name intrigued me.
Fast forward six months, a blog I follow highly recommended it so I decided there was no harm in grabbing it from the library and having a bit of a flip through.
Well, I have read it cover to cover in two days, and will now be popping down to the shops to
Erin
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Always enjoy listening to his segments on the radio, and this book is just the same.

His laid back, 'every-man' style of speaking/writing is clear and simple enough for everyone to understand. It's definitely given me some food for thought about finances and I can see myself coming back to it again and again as I progress though the motions that is life.
Melissa Riley
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very easy read for a finance book. Pape outlines simple, understandable steps to get yourself out of a debt cycle and into the green. I read the e-book from my library but I will be buying a copy. Its something that I think I will have to come back and refer to.

Its unlike other finance self-help non-fiction, in regards to the fact that he actually names banks/institutions which he uses. Firm concrete numbers to help you on your way as well as scripts to help you speak to the people managing you
David
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Not recommended for non Australian readers, and not recommended for anyone who doesn't feel like being lectured to by an overachieving smartass nephew. Having said that, there is some useful information for financial dumbasses (like me)..if you can listen past the delivery style..
Samantha Lenkic
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've always liked Scott's writing style, he's very down to earth and explains finance very well. I was happy to find out I'd already been following a number of barefoot steps, and can use this book to refine and tweak with his plan. His plan doesn't feel overwhelming, which is the main reason I think this book has been so popular.

It's missing a star because despite all the great things about it, I still feel a lot of what he says is 'you can have financial freedom and security - as long as you
Fiona
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, self-help
This book has a very jokey-blokey-matey tone and lots of Ocker expressions like 'bee's dick' which initially made me question whether it had any good advice or was just a really dumbed-down review of personal finances for people who max-out credit cards.

Wrong! Don't be deceived by the tone, there's lots of good advice. We're pretty organised with finances and have gone as far as having a SMSF (which we might dismantle, after reading this book.) We got a lot of points out of this book. It's a sup
Simone Coote
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There’s not to much that hasn’t already been said- this is bracing, insightful, it has me excited to save money, to talk to my partner about saving money (a previously excruciating conversation).
I’ve got this.
Sophie-Leigh Thompson-Green
Was a really great read and has me realising how much control I can have now over my future than I felt like I did before. However the credit card chapter did conflict with me because as a 19 year old I'm not paying rent thus am not building credit though that so that's something I think I'm going to have to look into a bit more...some of the chauvinist comments about women and men in order to make stereotype jokes did put me off a bit and I wish he had more advice for young people who were stil ...more
Sonia
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Barefoot Investor is one of those personal finance books you wish you had in high school. Personally, I try to avoid finance/get rich books books all together as endless chapters about superannuation, interest rates, negative gearing and tax put me to sleep. But this book is DIFFERENT and provides you with ACTIONABLE STEPS to achieve your financial goals and build your portfolio. Best of all, Scott knows how to make something as boring as finance into something that is engaging and funny (he ...more
S7
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
How do you give a star rating to a financial advice book? I’ve read no others to compare it to. Look, I’m putting this review here simply because I wanted to recommend this book highly - great common-sense approach to managing your money that is applicable to anyone regardless of your income and debt levels. It’s designed to give you back control and put your plan on auto-pilot, so you don’t need to intervene so much. I was particularly impressed by how accessible this book is - great examples, ...more
“Sixty-two per cent of Australians believe they cannot afford to buy everything they really need. When we consider that Australia is one of the world's richest countries and that Australians today have incomes three times higher than in 1950, it is remarkable that so many people feel their incomes are inadequate.” 0 likes
“mortgage.” 0 likes