Start by marking “Trusting Miss Trentham (Baleful Godmother, #2)” as Want to Read:
Trusting Miss Trentham (Baleful Godmother, #2)

Trusting Miss Trentham

(Baleful Godmother #2)

She's more than just an heiress...

Letitia Trentham is noteworthy for three reasons. One, she’s extremely wealthy. Two, she can distinguish truth from lies. Three, she’s refused every man who’s ever proposed to her.

Until Letty receives a proposal she can’t turn down.

Icarus Reid barely survived the Battle of Vimeiro. He lives for one thing—to find the man who betrayed him
Published January 9th 2017 by Emily Larkin

Start your review of Trusting Miss Trentham (Baleful Godmother, #2)
Bubu
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars, read-2017
3.5 stars. Possible spoilers ahead.

Icarus Reid is on a mission: find the traitor responsible for the death of four of his fellow soldiers and his own torture and bring him to justice. Reid has a few suspects, but how to find out who is telling the truth and who is lying? He has heard of Miss Letitia ‘Letty’ Trentham’s ‘knack’ for discerning liars and approaches her to ask for her help. This ‘knack’ is a yet another gift given by the Fairy Godmother, Baletongue, to the female descendants of a
Carrie
Apr 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Letitia Trentham is a wealthy heiress that has been turning down marriage proposals for years because she is gifted an ability from a faerie to be able to tell when someone is lying. Letty knows her suitors have only been after her money so she has no plans to marry. Icarus Reid has come to seek the help of Letitia when he hears of her ability to detect a lie although he doesn't know that it comes from faerie magic.

Icarus had barely survived battle and now only lives for one thing, to find the
Caz
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've given this a B+ at AAR, so that's 4.5 stars.

Trusting Miss Trentham is the third book in Emily Larkin’s Baleful Godmother series of historical romances with a paranormal twist. Owing to the good deed done by one of their ancestresses, each of the heroines is entitled to receive a gift from their Faerie Godmother – whom they call Baletongue – on their twenty-first or twenty-fifth birthday (depending on their line of descent). These stories are primarily romances, however, so if you’re
Mimi Matthews
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Longer review to come... Meanwhile, I'll just say that this was the first Emily Larkin book I read, and it was so good, it prompted me to read every other book she's written. Her Baleful Godmother series is filled with romance, poignancy, humor, and magic. Yes, magic. I didn't know how much I needed magic in my historical romances until I read Larkin's fabulous books.
Luli
You can find this review in English below.

Esta ha sido una historia de contrastes. Por un lado tenemos unos personajes relativamente complejos, bien descritos, con mucho potencial y con buena química entre ellos. Y, desgraciadamente, por otro lado tenemos unas situaciones absurdas, tontas y triviales que le quitan realismo tanto a los personajes como a la historia en sí.

Icarus Reid es mi tipo de héroe. Es un veterano de guerra con un severo trastorno post-traumático debido a incidentes sufridos
Mei
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
I love this series and all the character here! :)

Letty is immensely rich and she already has been gifted by the Baleful Godmother with a gift of knowing when people lie. It is an extremly uselful gift for a woman in her situation where she's accosted, almost all the time, by fortune hunters.

I loved how she managed these situations! LOL

She's considered plain and cold by the Ton, but is actually a very interesting woman. She leads a proteced life and when, during a ball, a war veteran Icarus Reid
Corduroy
Your heroine, Letty, is an heiress/spinster who, in spite of being fairly plain, is besieged by dudes claiming to be desperately in love with her. The only problem is that she has the ability to hear if someone is lying (and they're all always lying).

Your hero, Icarus, is a military veteran who seeks her aid as a human lie detector in finding the man who betrayed him and his fellow soldiers into torture and death.

I think Emily Larkin is a solid and reliable writer. Her prose is very good, her
SidneyKay
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance-regency
Tina
Ok this one has the character depth that was missing in the last one.

I enjoyed Letty and Reid quite a bit. I loved the progression of their intimacy and romance. And I liked how Reid worked through his PTSD trauma in the end.

Also enjoyed the motley crew they picked up in their travels as they made a positive difference in the lives their companions along the way.

Not a hug fan of road romances, but this one is one of those exceptions that proves the rule for me.

Good book.
Phoenix77
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Emily Larkin is an author I’ve quickly come to admire. The men and women who populate her Baleful Godmother series are allowed to be plain in looks or sometimes broken in spirt but their stories are layered and compelling. In Trusting Miss Trentham the journey for the main characters to find love and redemption is difficult yet the payoff was considerable.

Miss Letitia Trentham knows when someone is lying. It’s an ability she chose on her twenty-first birthday from a fairy required to grant one
eyes.2c
A tormented hero!

Icarus Reid is all the tormented hero that one could want. A battle scarred, dedicated officer searching for truth and justice. If you remember Icarus flew too close to the sun, his wings melted and he fell. Icarus Reid was certainly burnt--not by the sun (although he was an important satellite of General Wellesley), but by betrayal at the Battle of Vimeiro. A betrayal that caused incredible trauma for him. All Icarus lives for is to find the traitor.
Enter Letitia Trentham, an
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
I received a free copy of Trusting Miss Trentham from the author in return for an honest review. Letitia Trentham caught and held my attention from the very first scene when she hears "Clang" for every lie being told. Letitia is very wealthy and many have wanted to marry her for her money. The ability to hear lies is why she is still single. The ability to hear lies is her gift from her Baleful Godmother. When Mr Reid approaches her for help she is intrigued. He does not want her for her money. ...more
BJ
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved-it
This one of my all time favourite books. The H has PTSD and intends to suicide once he has righted some wrongs. He is such a good person, and suffers from what he believes is his loss of integrity. The h is plain, very rich and an awkward person, and due to her innocence she takes something from the H. She hurts them both and it breaks her heart when he turns from her. What neither of them recognise that her greatest gift is her love for him.
Lucina

I liked it even more than the first book. But it IS a very unique and unusual historical and I think a lot of readers might not like it. I loved the story and Emily Larkin is a fantastic writer, she writes sensual and romantic stories with a little sexiness. And although her stories have a modern feel to them the language feels more fitting to the time period than those of more famous writers.
[̲̅ρ̲̅υ̲̅и̲̅y̲̅α̲̅]
Lori D
Compelling and powerfully emotional, I was drawn in from the first chapter of this story and could not wait to see what happened. This is my favorite trope with the damaged hero or heroine who finds redemption in the end. Letitia Trentham has been on the marriage mart and received a copious amount of proposals. She is a heiress after all, but she also has a skill which is beyond the typical person. She is able to tell if someone is telling the truth or not which has revealed to her that all of ...more
BigComfyChairBookReviews
Interesting book. Letty was a nice character to read about, strong compassionate and practical. This is the 3rd of 4 heroines of this author that is plain looking. I’m not completely shallow I think it's good to have leads be normal women, but at the same time I read to escape a plain and boring reality and think this author overuses the plain heroine in her books. Of course, all the men are ridiculously attractive. I thought Letty’s power was an interesting and sad choice. I thought the author ...more
Ashley
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I recieved an arc of this book and am voluntarily reviewing.

I really like Larkin's work. She writes very well about the past and is able to make the reader feel as if they are there experiencing it. I appreciate the details she puts into her work and the storylines she fleshes out. Another excellent read from Larkin!
Elaine
Prose: 4/5
How much I enjoyed it: 3/5
Tea
Back to "Great"

Once again, Larkin has created well defined characters who lived out a complicated story. Add in bits of history, and she's delivered a story almost as engaging as the first in the series.

Only two things stopped me giving this one five stars:

1. The progression of physical intimacies between Kerry and Icarus was formulaic; it seems that Larkin has a pattern she likes to stick to.
2. There was no good reason for them to actually have intercourse. The choice made sense in the two
Rose Blue
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As reviewed at Roses Are Blue: http://wp.me/p3QRh4-tE

Wealthy heiress Letitia (Letty) Trentham has turned down countless proposals over the last six years. It's not that she doesn't want to be married, it's just that she wants to find a man who genuinely desires her, not her fortune. Letty has a unique and magical gift, which she received on her twenty-first birthday - the ability to tell if words spoken are truth or lies. Letty's stepbrother investigates each suitor, usually finding that they
Mari
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Connie Fischer
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
London - 1808

Miss Letitia (Letty) Trentham, age 27, is England’s most wealthy heiress and yet unwed even after countless proposals.

Laurence Darlington is at the Hammond Ball with Letty and when he suggests they visit the conservatory, Letty knows this is a ploy for yet another proposal. Letty knows all about him and he is shocked when she tells him she knows he is nearly bankrupt. Angry when she calls him out on the truth, he stalks away. Yet Letty can’t help but feel sad because all the
Gudrun
This novel is part of the baleful godmother series and therefore has a touch of paranormal.

On her 21st birthday the heroine was visited by her fairy godmother and is granted a wish, following her mother’s example she chooses the ability to hear lies. Being a very wealthy heiress she besieged by indebted gentlemen proposing to her. Due to her ability to detect lies she turn them down. I enjoyed reading those proposels. Letitia is self-assured and asks directly whether he loves her, is in debt, is
Ipsita
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Letty Trentham, the wealthiest heiress of England in search of a traitor with a British Major. Reid aproaches her for help and she agrees after brief hesitation. That easy? Oops. But I don't mind.

The balance of suspense and romance was good.

Occasional unnatural circumstances aside, the characters were really well written. Icarus's exactly the type of hero I hanker after in books. The broken soul types.He was absolutely fantastic.

I was relieved when I discovered that he was --not-- the
Lucy
This is the next book in the Baleful Godmother series and one I couldn't resist buying when I heard this has several tropes that I like in historical romance books. This (mostly) lived up to my expectations.

Letty Trentham has a great fortune and a sharp mind, but she wasn't a great beauty, and so when she receives eighteen proposals in a year, she knows that it's not her witty charm that is drawing the men to her. The fact that she has the ability to tell truth from lies thanks to a gift from
Lindsey Gray
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it

I love a dash of something extra with my historical romance. In Trusting Miss Trentham, I was treated to a heaping dose of the paranormal. Miss Letitia “Letty” Trentham received an unusual gift on her twenty-first birthday, a choice of three wishes from her Faeire Godmother. Her choice was to be able to distinguish truth from lies. This particular gift has
Susie Eaton
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trusting Miss Trentham. FINALLY a book with sex scenes I can actually stomach. Honestly, the words ‘throbbing, moist, erect, core, manhood (as in reference to male genitalia) slanting (as a description of how lips meet)’ could be eliminated from all books and they would be the better for it.
And really, PAGES of description of every lick, nip and nibble is just boring. I skip them every time.
Tell me a story! I don’t care what you do in your sex life. And DON’T use that overdone and unbelievable
Courtney
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
DNF. What appears at first to be another intriguing book in this series quickly devolved as I got to know the ignorant heroine. The hero, Icarus', story is compelling, even if at times he feels a bit too fatalistic in terms of his decision to end his own life, due to what he has been through during the war.

But I seriously questioned Letty's intelligence at various places. She had the brains to choose a useful gift of distinguishing truth from lies, which has helped her as an heiress who is the
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 May 07, 2017 09:51AM

• My Lady Thief
  • The Earl's Dilemma
  • Love and Other Perils: A Regency Novella Duet
  • Yuletide Wishes
  • The Incurable Matchmaker
  • Forever and a Duke (Rogues to Riches, #3)
  • How to Ruin a Duke: A Regency Novella Duet
  • Winning the Earl of Winchester (Secret Wallflower Society Book 1)
  • Flaming June (Rogues & Gentlemen #10)
  • Persuading Patience (Rogues & Gentlemen #8)
  • Love by the Letters: A Regency Novella Trio
  • Dukes by the Dozen
  • A Marriage Made in Scandal (Rescued from Ruin, #8)
  • When a Duchess Says I Do (Rogues to Riches #2)
  • The Last Man in London (Rogues & Gentlemen #9)
  • An Unacceptable Offer
  • Anything but a Gentleman (Rescued from Ruin, #7)
  • To Follow Her Heart (Girls Who Dare Book 4)
Emily Larkin is the USA Today bestselling author of the Baleful Godmother historical romance series, a series that readers are calling “sexy, unusual and vastly entertaining,” and "ridiculously wonderful."

When not reading or writing, Emily can be found hiking—preferably somewhere off the beaten track. She loves to travel, and has lived in Sweden, backpacked in Europe and North America, and

Baleful Godmother (6 books)
  • Unmasking Miss Appleby (Baleful Godmother, #1)
  • Claiming Mister Kemp (Baleful Godmother, #3)
  • Ruining Miss Wrotham (Baleful Godmother, #4)
  • Discovering Miss Dalrymple (Baleful Godmother, #4.5)
  • Primrose and the Dreadful Duke (Garland Cousins, #1)