Start by marking “Young Avengers, Volume 1: Sidekicks” as Want to Read:
Young Avengers, Volume 1: Sidekicks

Young Avengers, Volume 1: Sidekicks

(Young Avengers (Collected Editions) #1)

In the wake of Avengers Disassembled, a mysterious new group of teen super heroes appears. But who are they? Where did they come from? And what right do they have to call themselves the Young Avengers?

Collecting: Young Avengers 1-6
Published April 19th 2006 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Young Avengers, Volume 1, please sign up.
Jesse Those words do not seem to make any sense in this particular situation...

Vitor Martins
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Eu peguei Young Avengers pra ler por vários motivos. Eu sabia que, em algum momento, eu encontraria um casal gay aqui. Eu estou todo atrasado na minha meta de leitura do Goodreads (e quadrinhos sempre ajudam haha). Eu estou OBCECADO por Infinity War e interessado demais em conhecer outros heróis da Marvel nos quadrinhos.

E essa história superou todas as minhas expectativas!

A escrita do Allan Heinberg é divertida, cheia de surpresas e muito gostosa de ler. A história é completa, bem redondinha e
Sesana
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
Well, this was actually a lot of fun. Because on the surface, this is a terrible idea. Or maybe just a painfully retro one. Teenage sidekicks have been out of vogue for decades, especially ones that closely echo the theme of the hero they sidekick for. And it might work for the Legion of Superheroes, but the idea of naming a character created in the 21st century Iron Lad is... Well, it's hardly current. And as a team name, Young Avengers is no better. I have a sneaking suspicion that some of the ...more
Paul E. Morph
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the ashes of Avengers Disassembled comes a new team of teenaged heroes and what an origin story it is! Not only do our new heroes have to facedown with the ‘old’ Avengers (three of them, anyway) but they also have to save the Earth from Kang the Conqueror!

Great stuff; I’m glad I decided to re-read it. The artwork’s really good, too.
Joseph
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm not a regular Marvel reader, at least not since the early 80s, and although I will pick up the occasional book like Hawkeye or Black Widow, I tend to stay away from the group books. I have no idea what's going on with the X-Men in the Avengers, or what version of the X-Men we have now, or why Marvel's teams are always at war with each other. I dunno, it just doesn't interest me.

The day before Thanksgiving I was at my local Books-A-Million and they had some library carts on the sidewalk fille
Roxanne
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I usually don't bother reading these group outings (i haven't even read any avengers comics) apart from the justice league and even that is a push, i just prefer to focus on one or two superheroes at a time, because usually what happens is 20 people show up and i'm like who the shittin' hell are these guys? Their costumes get gradually worse, names are like picked out of a hat.

However this is awesome, and someone really should have forced me to read this way before now, it's so good and shock h
Nikki
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This series promises to be a lot of fun. You don't need to know a lot about the main Marvel canon to understand this one: it's mostly new characters, with some cameos from classics like Tony Stark and Steve Rogers (being very much 'Superhusbands': I mean, really, they swoop in with iron Man holding Steve by the waist, it's practically Superman and Lois Lane). I liked the emotions flying around here: they're teenagers dealing with superpowers, not superheroes who happen to be teenagers. They mess ...more
Yonaily
Adoro a Kate Bishop. Comencé a leer cómics de Marvel al azar, creyendo que de algún modo lograría dar con el orden de lectura correcto (si es que hay uno). No sé si estoy leyendo los cómics que debería estar leyendo para no hacerme spoiler, pero no importa porque los que he leído hasta el momento me han gustado mucho.
Heatherblakely
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One thing you need to know about me is that my ideal type is femme girls with swords. Female warriors or knights with long hair who will destroy you without a second thought. I love them. I love strong women in general (workout classes are really fun for me), but there's just something about swords that take things to a whole new level. And let me tell you, Kate Bishop yields a sword in this and it was the best thing in the entire world.

I enjoyed this just as much as the newer Young Avengers. I
Renay
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Okay, so if people had said to me, "Renay, read this because Iron Man and Captain America do the hug and fly thing you love." I would have read it much faster.

EVERYONE'S FIRED. This was basically about snarky kids with Steve and Tony as Team Dads suffering from PTSD and it was really great for me. Cassie and Kate! Kate is so excellent. Of course, TIME TRAVEL, which augh, time travel. But it was fun. :D More Kate and Eli plz.

More thoughts: http://ladybusiness.dreamwidth.org/20...
Sara (sarajanereads)
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics

This was so much fun! I don't know why i didn't read this before i read the other Young Avengers series as it would've made more sense if i did, but I'm so glad i finally got around to reading this.

Getting to see how the Young Avengers originated was really interesting. I'm not usually a huge fan of time travel but I didn't mind those aspects in this.

The characters were great as usual, there were only a few characters in this that I didn't know but there were introduced really well and
Therese
I have never really been into comics, but I have wanted to get into them recently, and the Young Avengers seemed to be the only relatively easy place to start.

It was worth it. I love these kids. I'm gonna read all the comics the Young Avengers have ever featured in.
Lenny
May 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A great introduction to the Young Avengers; I barely knew anything about them before picking up this book and they're now one of my favorite Marvel teams (admittedly I'm more of a DC person).

There were several similarities to Runaways as they are a teenage team, Iron Lad in particular reminded me of Victor, but Heinberg establishes and develops each character as well as the team in a unique way, and they don't come off as knockoffs of the 'adult' heroes. There is a great amount of diversity with
Kai
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
I guess I just really don't care for anything Marvel/DC related. Maybe because it's too melodramatic, too unrealistic or just too entirely American? But in the first place, I never was one of those kids who wanted to be a suerhero, who fantasized about Spiderman or read comics in the first place.
This was nice, but I don't plan to read the sequels.
Tarmia
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although the entire premise of this is quite retro or overdone in the comic book genre this actually worked exceedingly well. The art was impactful and entertainingly colourful which only added to the overall atmosphere. I had a fun time while reading this, and although there were serious aspects and times where you became emotionally involved, as a whole this was a fun read.
Vinton Bayne
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. I can't believe it took me so long to read this. I want more Young Avengers. All the Young Avengers. I'm sad that there isn't more of this title than there is.
Ariel Acupan
May 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Still awesome even if I already read it. :)
Jess Hayes
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved the new Young Avengers series, so I really wanted to go back right to the beginning of the YA story and start with the first story!

I didn't know what to expect with this but I really enjoyed it! It's a different set of Young Avengers than I'm used to - Eli Bradley, Cassie Lang, Iron Lad and Vision are there instead of America Chavez, David Allayne and Noh-Varr, so it was interesting to see a slightly different dynamic. It also made the start of YA 2014 make a lot more sense,
Ramneek
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So I read the second series of Young Avengers sometime last year and I enjoyed it but felt somewhat disconnected from the characters. However, reading this volume from the original series has given me so much more of the back story that I felt was missing from the second run. I absolutely loved the characters presented in this volume and I loved the amount of diversity. I loved the artwork and the comical and witty dialogue. The characters had this instant chemistry that I was really surprised a ...more
Bill
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun spin on the classic "next generation of heroes" story line, this time in the wake of the "Avengers Disassembled" plotline of the early 2000s. I particularly like how this new group of heroes makes some poor choices (bad codenames, questionable battle strategy), yet also display enough savvy about the logic of the Marvel universe to make some good choices as well, like not revealing the full extent nor nature of their powers.
Miguel
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marvel
YEEES!!! the characters are amazing, really! I want more!
Christine
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great beginning!
Nick
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So I’m really re-reading this, maybe for the millionth time. Meaning, my review is obviously going to be affected by the fact that I know these characters so well, and the outcome of their series.

Still, I absolutely love this series. It’s a well done series, especially for being young superheroes. For one, there’s great representation. There are bad-ass female characters, people of color, different religions, and LGBT characters. And they’re not just Token characters.

Personally, Billy (here, Asg
Kevin
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GRAPHIC NOVEL REVIEW:

ILLUSTRATION & DIALOGUE:
This graphic novel reminds me why I love Marvel so much. It gives a nostalgic feeling my childhood and it still manages to stay modern looking. The color is very lively, and I must say the way the characters look is on the thin line between realistic and fantasy. I love how the characters look.

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT:
Eli or the patriot is my favorite character so far.(view spoiler)
Stephen
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
In the aftermath of the disbanding of the original Avengers, the team has reformed - but tensions are high. Then out of nowhere appear four mysterious teenage superheroes: teenagers who bear an uncanny resemblance to Captain America, Iron Man, Thor and the Hulk. Believing them to be wannabe sidekicks, Captain America and Iron Man set out to find the Young Avengers and stop them before someone gets hurt.

This right here is how you start a series. It was funny, the story fast-paced but not overly c
Connie
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt
5/5

ASDFGHJKL

So a lot of you may not know this about me, but I am completely and utterly in love with the Young Avengers despite this being the first Young Avengers graphic novel I've read. You can bet your ass it won't be the last.

This follows a group of teenagers, christened the 'Young Avengers' by a journalist due to their uniforms which are similar to the now disbanded Avengers after a massive explosion that killed loads of them. Unfortunately, I'm unfamiliar with the events leading up to thi
Pao Jmpjyc
FLAWLESS. Oh my god, this comic made me so happy, it is so freaking perfect and it has everything I love and the world needs more of: a badass team of diverse main characters, with smart and proper representation. Beautiful, amazing young characters, gorgeous art, great and witty plot and writing, all the emotions, I am in love.

Young Avengers are without a doubt my new favorite Marvel team. Billy and Teddy are awesome, REALLY FREAKING POWERFUL and so brave and cute, they're one of the best super
Gayle Francis Moffet
May 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Oh, it was fun to read this again. I'm a big fan of Young Avengers, picked it up when it first came out and loved the hell out of it, and I'm happy to find that the re-read was almost equally enjoyable.

The "almost" isn't meant to damn with faint praise, for the record. It's a qualifier to the fact that I've read a lot more comics since the first time I read YA, and it means I have a slightly different feel for comic book storytelling. The storytelling in this book is rock solid. Everyone is intr
Andi Rahmat
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love Young Avengers :D Young Avengers terdiri dari :
1. Iron Lad : yang memakai armor Iron Man dan seseorang yang muncul dari masa depan yang ditakdirkan sebagai Kang the Conquest.
2. Patriot : kekuatan sama seperti Captain America tapi dia memakai baju seperti Bucky.
3. Asgardian : dia punya kekuatan petir dan bisa melayang serta bisa melakukan sihir.
4. Hukling : dia seperti Hulk, tapi kekuatannya tidak muncul karena marah.
5. Kate Bishop : si pemanah kaya Hawkeye, tapi dia juluki Hawkeye versi c
Jason
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Young Avengers is that diamond in the ruff that was birthed in the wake of the relaunching of the Avengers by Bendis and co. Heinberg crafted characters and story line that is top shelf all the way. These are young hero's that want very much to live up to those that came before them. Yet they don't want to be called side kicks or treated like children. They are walking that balance beam of adolescence on one side and proving to their "betters" that they have what it takes to be the next gene ...more
Riley Blue
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The point is, nobody knows who they are, where they came from, or why they’re here.

Los inicios de los jóvenes vengadores me han gustado, no se sobrepasaron con la introducción de ninguno y el villano que aparece -Kang the Conqueror- fue una gran amenaza para unos chicos que apenas están descubriendo sus poderes. Estuvo bastante bien, con la colaboración de Capitán América, Iron Man, Jessica Jones y The Vision.
  • Young Avengers Presents
  • Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways
  • Secret Invasion: Runaways/Young Avengers
  • X-Factor, Vol. 3: Many Lives of Madrox
  • The New Avengers, Volume 3: Secrets and Lies
  • Runaways, Vol. 6: Parental Guidance (Runaways, #6)
  • Young Avengers, Volume 1: Style > Substance
  • Dark Reign: Young Avengers
  • New X-Men: Academy X: Choosing Sides
  • Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids

Young Avengers (Collected Editions) (10 books)
  • Young Avengers, Volume 2: Family Matters