Start by marking “Anatomy of Fear (Nate Rodriguez, #1)” as Want to Read:
Anatomy of Fear (Nate Rodriguez, #1)

Anatomy of Fear

(Nate Rodriguez #1)

Nate Rodriguez is a police sketch artist for the NYPD, and his success rate is high, with one out of three of his drawings leading to an arrest. But when he is faced with an unusually talented killer, he realizes that he may have met his match. For this killer is a man very much like himself–a man who sees and thinks in pictures. A killer who leaves drawings at the crime s ...more
Published April 10th 2007 by William Morrow (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Anatomy of Fear, please sign up.
Arantxa Most of them are very detailed, others aren't because they're shown as part of the artist/''detective'' creative process.…moreMost of them are very detailed, others aren't because they're shown as part of the artist/''detective'' creative process.(less)

Start your review of Anatomy of Fear (Nate Rodriguez, #1)
Margie
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was going to rate this four stars but I really enjoy these books. Nate Rodriquez is a police sketch artist and his sketches are included throughout the book. These sketches seem to add so much to the story.
So far there are only two books in this series and I can't wait for a third. In the meantime, his Kate McKinnon series has three books for me to start reading.
Jessica
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this book was really good , I really got into the main character " Nate" and "Terri" . it was not a scary book ... a little suspenseful and thrilling although not a " edge of your seat " kind of book . in a few places it got my mind and heart going a bit... but this book Anatomy Of Fear is not a " nail biting , can't put it down all night , look over your shoulder kind of book not all throughout the book as my favorite authors (harlan coben ) & ( cheese Cain ) are , although these two authors ar ...more
Linda  Branham Greenwell
I really enjoyed this book by Jonathan Santlofer.
Nate Rodriguez is a Jewish - Puerto Rican criminal sketch artist for the NYPD.
He includes illustrations of the sketches that he makes in the book - I love it.
I love the feel for Puerto Rican and Jewish cultures in NYC portrayed here, especially the detail on Santeria, a religion from the Caribbean. Nate's grandmother - who practices Santeria - is very well developed and she is very interesting - I'd really like to know her :)
Plus since I teach Ps
Megan Kelly
Apr 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating concept! The mystery centers around two sketch artists--a cop and a killer. The cop is likable with layers, and I look forward to reading more books featuring him. What sets this book apart are the drawings each makes are included in the story. I will definitely read the next Nate Rodriguez story and recommend this one for any mystery fan.
Brittany
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh man. So good! I loved the forensic artistry. The drama. The twists. The realism of it all. The pace. I think I’m a little bit in love with Nate. I loved this book so much I went and bought 4 others by the author. I can’t wait to read more and I’m stoked there’s a sequel to this one!
Donna
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this down. I had to see what happened next! ...more
Shauna
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it
To be honest, 3.5 stars but not enough to push it to 4. It was weak in the beginning on structure. The story seemed to struggle with its characters and direction. The longer I read it seemed to settled into a better rhythm (either that or I got use to the author’s writing style).

As a portrait artist I loved the artistic elements that are in this book, both in the story and the visual elements. It adds a unique touch to the novel and brings the creator’s two loves together.

I am very interested
Robertus
An interesting novel with lots of great figure and face drawing. A combination of suspence, mistic, and police investigation. In many part, we can found some unexpected and surprised event or incident. For me, it's a new experience in reading a novel and a must try one. ...more
Linda
Nov 10, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked the mythical side of Nate Rodriquez NYPD sketch artist. Unfortunately reading it in paperback the sketches he drew were not always easy to see well. The story was a little slow. I see more of these were written so I might try another one in this series.
Julie
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This story has an interesting concept and I love the mystery.
Cathy Houston
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cathy by: catwoho@aol.com
a truly original character with a unique plot;
Ioanna Kel
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nice reading. I could give 5 stars if it didn't have all these spiritual details :) ...more
Lyna M. Perez
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story. Loved the sketches. The main character is a bit flat in personality but it still reads okay. I loved his grandmother. It has short chapters that made me want to keep reading.
Tomi
Jan 25, 2021 rated it it was ok
Jumped around too much - hard to keep track of who the bad guy was.
Anna Zhylenko
Apr 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It's an interesting, dynamic, easy to read book. ...more
Stacy  Alesi
This has to be one of the most exciting new books to come out in a long time. Santlofer brings considerable skills to his latest endeavor, as both an emerging talent over the past few years as a thriller writer, as well as a life long career as a significant artist, with work represented in various museums. Graphic novels have gained significant popularity in the past few years, along with a healthy new respect - these are not your childhood comic books anymore. Now that respect for the illustra ...more
J.L. Campbell
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Nate Rodriguez, a NYPD sketch artist, is drawn into an investigation where the killer draws pictures of his crime and victims before killing them. Rodiguez uses his skills to produce an image of an unidentified murderer who becomes a threat to him.

One unique aspect of Anatomy of Fear is the fact that there are pictures and sketches within its pages.

The book is billed as the ultimate in suspense by reviewers, however, I didn’t get into the story until I was about a hundred pages in. I may have b
Diane
Apr 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone dealing with people (ha ha), mystery lovers
A police drama, into which a intuitive police sketch artist is drawn, unfolds in burst and starts, interspersed with bits of relationships, religion, office politics, childhood memories, etc. A lot like life.

I liked this book much better than the previous Jonathon Sandtlofer book I read. The execution (sorry for the pun) of the murders were not the major focus of the plot and the author, a highly respected artist, has woven his drawing skills into the plot in a way that is refreshing and novel.
Jackie
May 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Author and artist Jonathan Santlofer has combined his two passions in Anatomy of Fear, including the drawings of police sketch artist protagonist Nate Rodriguez woven into the the text. This visual aspect is intriguing and involving and will appeal greatly to fans of televised forensics. The main story of the book is interesting enough--a serial killer has begun to leave crime scene sketches on the bodies of his disturbing variety of victims, making him a challenge to profile and anticipate. But ...more
Julie Davis
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Listening to the author read it on the podcast, Anatomy of Fear. Really wonderful. He has a few more episodes before it is done and it is addictive. A police sketch artist must help track down a serial killer who leaves drawings at the scenes of his crimes. When the killer becomes aware of the police artist, he turns the tables on him. Exciting and with a touch of voodoo provided by the artist's grandmother in a humorous but also effective manner. ...more
Rose
Jan 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
"Anatomy of Fear" is a visual novel of suspense that introduces NYPD sketch artist Nate Rodriguez. This book blew me away...great story that uses the author's artwork not just to advance the story, but to allow the reader to get into Nate's mind.

Here's hoping Jonathan Santlofer has more cases for Nate Rodriguez to investigate.
Margie Jimenez
Jul 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book because I enjoy crime stories and with its use of illustrations, it intrigued me to read it. It offered a complex but extremely interesting main character, Nate Rodriguez, (police sketch artist extraordinaire) and a somewhat familiar but compelling and well-thought out storyline. I'm now ready to read more stories about Nate. ...more
Paul
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
I was expecting a lot more from this book, but it ended up being just like every other police/crime book that's out on the market. It was heavily loaded with awkward use of police jargon that made it cumbersome and a mental ability, a psychic artist if you will, that seemed quite far-fetched at points and shottily constructed. Don't put it too high on your lists. ...more
Ed
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it
#1 in the Nate Rodriguez series.

Nate Rodriguez, a sketch artist for the NYPD, teams up with detective Terri Russo to catch a killer. The killer stalks his victims and draws sketches of them that he leaves on the body. Sub-texts include the visions his grandmother has that Nate draws. The culmination of the novel brings all the threads together - too conveniently.
Linda
Sep 04, 2008 added it
This was a fun book to read. It is a story of a New York Sketch Artist whos solves crimes through his drawings. What makes this book different is you see the sketch develop througout the story until you see the actual criminal. Sometimes it is chilling. Good read
Sfdreams
Sep 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This is one of the most unique mysteries I have read. It is the first (of two that I know of so far)revolving around police artist Nate Rodriguez. It is filled with his sketches, thus making it visually appealing as well.

Jodi
Jan 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: podcast
A really good story read by the author. I enjoyed the storyline and the characters. The sketches mentioned in the story can be found on the authors website. I liked the different dimensions of the book and the way the characters progressed. It's one that would have me picking up the sequel. ...more
Mim
Mar 07, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked this well enough but did not find it super interesting. Parts of it moved too slowly and then it concluded too quickly. I have one more of this author's books to read but will put it further down the pile of books to be read. ...more
Carrie
Sep 03, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: suspense
By pg. 50, I was tired of the F-bomb being dropped. It's a shame because it had a good plot. Jonathan needs to expand his vocab. ...more
khryseda
May 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
Started off great..then the plot took a nose dive.

• Written in Bone (David Hunter, #2)
  • Black Cross
  • The Mystery of the Yellow Room (Joseph Rouletabille #1)
  • Shut Your Eyes Tight (Dave Gurney, #2)
  • The Wrong Box
  • Pop. 1280
  • State of Mind
  • Just Cause
  • The Fire (The Eight, #2)
  • The Madman's Tale
  • The Shadow Man
  • Sans feu ni lieu (Les Evangélistes, #3)
  • The Map of Time
  • Angelology (Angelology, #1)
  • The Demonologist
  • Musashi: The Way of the Samurai
  • Frostbite (Cheyenne Clark, #1)
  • The Death and Life of Bobby Z
Jonathan Santlofer is the author of five novels and a highly respected artist whose work has been written about and reviewed in the New York Times, Art in America, Artforum, and Arts, and appears in many public, private, and corporate collections. He serves on the board of Yaddo, one of the oldest artist communities in the country. Santlofer lives and works in New York City.

Nate Rodriguez (2 books)
  • The Murder Notebook (Nate Rodriguez, #2)