Start by marking “Doorbells, Danger, and Dead Batteries: User Research War Stories” as Want to Read:
Doorbells, Danger, and Dead Batteries: User Research War Stories

Doorbells, Danger, and Dead Batteries: User Research War Stories

Published December 2016 by Rosenfeld Media

To ask other readers questions about Doorbells, Danger, and Dead Batteries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doorbells, Danger, and Dead Batteries

Start your review of Doorbells, Danger, and Dead Batteries: User Research War Stories
carla
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really wish this book had existed when I first started doing user research. The stories are super insightful and present the real range of things you will encounter in the field. They range from the obvious (let's make some checklists) to the not-so-obvious ethnical dilemmas that may arise when someone tries to convert you to their religion or asking you to help them clean something up in the house.

Many times you get a work-related book like this, read it, and think "that was great" and never
Michael
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Many of us involved in User Experience Research are control freaks.We try and keep our studies scientifically rigorous to obtain unbiased, measurable and comparable data. We rely on scripts, checklists and controlled schedules to achieve these goals.

All that goes out the window when you step into the field. You learn to expect the unexpected.

This book is a collection of tales from many of the top UX field researchers on the planet. It’s a lovely mix of interesting anecdotes and practical insight
Jess
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was really enlightening for me. It helped me realize there are many opportunities for things to go awry in field research.

Most of my UX research experience is with remote sessions or in-person sessions. I haven't experienced many of the situations in this book because I haven't done much work in the field.

I look forward to applying what I've learned from this book to the field research I do in the future!
Vicky
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work
Compilations of stories often run the risk of being nothing more than just talking heads. However this book gets around this by carefully theming the sections, and digging into very real problematic situations - the stories that are worn likes badges of honor. It's a must read for user researchers if only to hopefully help them head off their own stories by learning from others.
Lisa
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Insightful, Fun, and Extremely Important for Product Development!

DoorBells, Danger and Dead Batteries: User Research War Stories was an absolute delight to read. The book starts a new type of conversation beyond typical readings related to this industry (e.g. the “hero story” of providing insights that inspired a successful product or design; and “tips and tricks” for researchers). Doctors, lawyers, accountants, electricians -- some professions you grow up being told about over and over. They pe
Corina
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Firsthand stories from intrepid user researchers about the wide range of challenges and unexpected situations they find themselves in. An "on-the-ground" look that people usually aren't exposed to, and a good reminder of what real, quality user research entails--the skills, courage, and enormous empathy required. It's a nice companion book to Steve Portigal's Interviewing Users: How to Uncover Compelling Insights, which is a must-read for anyone building, designing, or thinking about products. ...more
Marvin Vista
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you want to learn how real-life user research is done, the highs and the lows, the successes and failures, go get this book.
protpaw
Aug 05, 2019
Marissa van Vliet
Feb 10, 2020
Steve Portigal
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Amy
Sebastian Dziallas
rated it it was ok
Aug 25, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Think Like a UX Researcher: How to Observe Users, Influence Design, and Shape Business Strategy
  • Obviously Awesome: How to Nail Product Positioning so Customers Get It, Buy It, Love It
  • Articulating Design Decisions: Communicate with Stakeholders, Keep Your Sanity, and Deliver the Best User Experience
  • The Names of the Dead
  • Just Enough Research
  • Diamantine (Weapons and Wielders, #2)
  • A Drink Before We Die: A Low Town Short
  • Universal Methods of Design: 100 Ways to Research Complex Problems, Develop Innovative Ideas, and Design Effective Solutions
  • Uncanny Valley: A Memoir
  • Tomorrow, the Killing (Low Town, #2)
  • She Who Waits (Low Town, #3)
  • In a Field of Blue
  • Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men
  • Blood Tally (Valkyrie Collections, #2)
  • The Crown: The Official Companion, Volume 2: Political Scandal, Personal Struggle, and the Years That Defined Elizabeth II (1956-1977)
  • Bloodchild
  • The Crown: The Official Companion, Volume 1: Elizabeth II, Winston Churchill, and the Making of a Young Queen (1947-1955)
  • Those Below (The Empty Throne #2)
Steve Portigal is an experienced user researcher who helps companies to think and act strategically when innovating with user insights. Based outside of San Francisco, he is principal of Portigal Consulting, and the author of two books: The classic Interviewing Users: How To Uncover Compelling Insights and new, Doorbells, Danger, and Dead Batteries: User Research War Stories.

He’s also the host of