Start by marking “Bud by the Grace of God (The Grace Lord Series, #2)” as Want to Read:
Bud by the Grace of God (The Grace Lord Series, #2)

Bud by the Grace of God

(The Grace Lord Series #2)

"Both a paean to the sci-fi genre and a captivating return to a space station in a complex universe." — Kirkus Reviews.

Murder. Mystery. Mayhem. Not what one would expect to find on the Conglomerate's Premier Medical Space Station, the Nelson Mandela. A homicidal ghost, a genocidal general, and an unexpected alien prowl the corridors. Bodies are piling up. The Chief Inspe
Published October 1st 2016 by ODDOC BOOKS

Marti
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The excitement never stops! Someone is ghosting around the space station—someone smart enough to hide from the station AI. Grace, Dr. Hiro and Bud are in serious danger with no leads to follow and things are going from bad to worse! Wonderful characters; great story!
Ed Morawski
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well this one is certainly different! Human / animal hybrid ‘Adaptations’ like panthers, monkeys, polar bears, and seals, giving birth to offspring on a medical space station run by an overbearing surgeon and his erstwhile assistant an android who’s in love with the other assistant Grace Lord.

The surgeon has recently resurrected himself into a new body to top it off and then there is the master criminal roaming around seeking revenge. This all seems to be played for laughs but I did feel I came
S.A. Gibson
A very different space adventure. The action takes place on a medical space station. The doctors treat human-animal hybrids that were created for war and exploration. These patients include those that are part of panthers, monkeys, polar bears, or seals. The station is run by an obnoxious surgeon director with a god complex with assistants including an almost human android and the heroine of the previous book, Grace Lord.

A fly in the already complex ointment is an evil criminal doctor who seeks
S. Thomas
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had a bit of 60s Batman TV show nostalgia with wordplay like “punishing punch” and “battering blow”! As a matter of fact, anyone who enjoys the old Burt Ward, Adam West, and Caesar Romero super hero show would get a kick out of this book. It’s Doctor House treating Doctor Moreau’s creations on Doctor Bashir’s space station. If you got all of that reference, skip the rest of this or any other review. These books are for you!

The sequel to Welcome to the Madhouse does not disappoint. We get more
Kelley Midgett
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very funny/serious science fiction book that oddly kind of delves into the depth of whether AI or androids have feelings/can love and whether or not they can be loved in return.
Dr. Al-Fadi is a great comedic character that literally made me laugh out loud during the first and second book.
Bibliophile Johnson
Bud by the Grace of God is a well-written science fiction novel that is both unique and exciting. Sasaki adds a welcome dose of humor to the characters that kept me chuckling as I swept through the pages. Her background in medicine allows her to fill in details that makes the fiction realistic in a fun way. I found myself actually rooting for an android, and hoping it would find love and a warm relationship, which makes me think deeper into the world of artificial intelligence that we are just s ...more
Jo Auburne
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know now that I have a new favorite author. I love this series, plus I've developed a serious crush on an Android. This is a great read, and in true S.E.Sasaki style, it's a little different than most books. So many valued and original characters too. Very happy with the read.
Matt Cowper
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
The whimsical title of this novel had me anxious. What would I find within? Would religion play a large role? What about the humanoid on the cover? And this is the sequel to “Welcome to the Madhouse”? Sounds...maddening?

No, the titles of Sasaki's novels don't trigger my “must read now” mechanism, but the story inside does. Let me state up front that this is a lightning-quick sci-fi buffet of sleek coolness. Supposedly this novel is 355 pages, but it damn sure doesn't feel like it; I zipped throu
Bhakta Jim
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given the novel Bud, By The Grace Of God for free in exchange for an honest review. I had not met the author prior to this. She approached me because I had reviewed many other Science Fiction novels on Amazon.

Before committing to review the novel, I checked out the free Kindle preview on Amazon for S.E. Sasaki's first novel, Welcome to the Madhouse, and found it well enough written that I thought it would be worth my time to read its sequel.

I had planned to start reading Bud as soon as I h
Laura Ruetz
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I grew up reading science fiction and it remains one of my favorite genres to read. This book takes me back to the golden age of science fiction and the stories and books I grew up in. The Nelson Mandela, a ship and an AI, are the setting for the story. I have not read the first book, so came into this series with the second book but did not feel lost. Enough of the back story was given to me that I never felt a disconnect to the story nor did I feel like vital information was missing.

The stand
Brhi Stokes
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I rather enjoyed the world-building Sasaki incorporates into the series. For a book that takes place entirely on a medical space station, the world still feels large and full. The animal adaptations, for one, I found to be an interesting concept and the descriptions were vague enough that I was able to let my imagination fill in the gaps.

The characters are well thought out and likeable, each with their own sparks of personality. I was very fond of Dr. Al-Fadi, myself, and his dark sarcasm. In or
Mark Ogilvie
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightfully light-hearted and humorous but at the same time thought provoking.
Against a backdrop of intergalactic warfare, the action takes place on a gigantic hospital space station where hybrid animal/human warriors are brought to receive surgery. The very human 'bot named Bud plays a central role as he applies his own intelligence to himself in order to experience human emotions. Reciprocally, the kind and beautiful Dr Grace Lord becomes very attached to the robot. By contrast, a human psyc
Christian Nadeau
Where to start?

If you liked Ed Greenwood’s work, if you loved the tales of Elminster, Manshoon, the magefire and all that, stop reading this review now, and ignore my rating. We do not like the same things, and it’s all right. You will likely love Bud, by the Grace of God for its pace, omnipresent humor, ever coming back villain and convenient plot twists.

Now, if, like me you groan when you read about things mentioned above, then perhaps you should read that review.

What is there to like about Bu
Maureen Pennington
I loved this second book in the Grace Lord series. (Who doesn't have a crush on Bud?- but how is that even possible?) S.E. Sasaki has hit another one out of the park with this compelling medical/sci-fi lightning bolt. Hooray!
Claire
May 12, 2017
Rodney Watson
May 24, 2018
S.E. Sasaki
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Ramona Revis
John Bowen
Feb 20, 2018
J F Williams
Jul 16, 2018
I am a physician surgical assistant by day, evening, weekend, and holiday - which means I help the surgeons with their operations around the clock, whenever they need me - and a writer the rest of the time I am awake. I am cameraman, retractor holder, second pair of hands, and Girl Friday in the OR (another nice euphemism for slave ;D). I practised as a GP for over twenty years in a small rural to ...more

The Grace Lord Series (2 books)
  • Welcome To The Madhouse (The Grade Lord Series, #1)