Start by marking “One Year on a Bike: From Amsterdam to Singapore” as Want to Read:
One Year on a Bike: From Amsterdam to Singapore

One Year on a Bike: From Amsterdam to Singapore

The title says it all: one man, one bike, one long ride, the adventure, the pleasure, and the pain. It is simultaneouslya travelogue and visual journey. Martijn Doolaard traded the convenience of a car and the distractions of daily life for a cross-continental cycling journey: a biped adventure that would take him from Amsterdam to Singapore. Leaving behind repetitive rout ...more
Hardcover
Published March 25th 2017 by Gestalten

To ask other readers questions about One Year on a Bike, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Year on a Bike

Start your review of One Year on a Bike: From Amsterdam to Singapore
Vera
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The coffee table book of my dreams!!! (Omg)

First off, the images were just beautifully shot, curated, edited to tell a story that made me feel like I was literally there. That itself already warrants high praise. But that’s not all. It was also such an exciting story to actually read about, not just to ooh and aah over the images, but to read about. Cycling from Amsterdam to Singapore over the course of a year? Wow. (I just wished he spent more time speaking about Singapore, though I get it, it’
Hans van der Veeke
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Being at a place at the beginning or the end of the day, in rain or sunshine, summer or winter, a good or a bad mood, influences how you perceive a place or a moment. That is why every trip is different (p. 98)

Kun je gelukkig worden van een boek? Ik weet het niet zeker, maar dit boek komt er wel heel dicht bij. Het is de €40 meer dan waard en ook in de uitvoering is het monumentaal met zijn formaat van 33 bij 25 bij 4 centimeter. Maar het is vooral monumentaal door de 370 pagina's die het boek e
Diana
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“My brain is overloaded with images that have yet to become memories.” -> martijn doolaard
Reading this mans story of his whole experience riding his bike halfway across the world. How he described it....and put the words together....I can’t describe how it impacted me...I felt like I was there, experiencing it all.....it was so beautiful.....if only I could tell him...
Daniel Montenegro
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was gifted this book and would occasionally flip through the pages, looking at the travel photos. The photos were interesting and beeutiful that I started to read the book without realizing it. The context behind each photo was enriching and gave me a new appreciation for travelers/thrill seekers/goal achievers.
Ultimately it was about a guy documenting his journey on a bike, and immediately after finishing the book I was ready to hit the road on my bike with my camera!
Oliver
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic pictures from around the World. It's less about cycling, more about the people, cultures. As a one year tour, it's not overly complicated or too dense, it's just the right length for such a book. I discovered that my little daughter also likes to open this book and look at the pictures.
Casper Aprikatis
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Itchy feet guaranteed! I planned a trip after the first day of reading. Photos are amazing, writing and editing could be better. Why are certain chapters italicizes?
Van
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book to read/skim/scan after reading "Into a Desert Place". A nice ride.
Danny Touw
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Simply excellent. Great story presented with beautiful photography, excellent storytelling, an easy to read but very interesting story each page. Beautiful format.
sandra ❁
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A really lovely quick read to guarantee wanderlust. Martijn effortlessly brings us on his trip with him through a combination of simple language and beautiful (if heavily filtered) photography. His cross-continental tour is obviously admirable. This is a person using his own body to propel himself across entire countries, often in uncomfortable and even deathly conditions—reading of the Kyrgyzstan roads freezing over was worrying (even though I know he obviously survives to publish this book), a ...more
Javier Del Álamo

• First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers
  • Weather
  • Libre !
  • Le otto montagne
  • One Year Off: Leaving It All Behind for a Round-the-World Journey with Our Children
  • Long Walk to Freedom
  • Mindfulness for Beginners
  • The Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Join the Millions Who Have Become Nonsmokers Using the Easyway Method
  • Tools of Titans: The Tactics, Routines, and Habits of Billionaires, Icons, and World-Class Performers
  • El arte de no amargarse la vida
  • Dancing Bears: True Stories of People Nostalgic for Life Under Tyranny
  • Hovory S Janem Masarykem
  • Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism, and Progress
  • Cel care mă așteaptă
  • 3 pasos contra el sedentarismo
  • Tus zonas erroneas / Your Erroneous Zones: Guia para combatir las causas de la infelicidad / Guide to Fight the Unhappiness Reasons
  • Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
  • Digital Etiquette: Everything You Wanted to Know about Modern Manners But Were Afraid to Ask