Start by marking “A Week in Winter” as Want to Read:
A Week in Winter

A Week in Winter

Every once in a while a very special story comes along that deserves an enormous cozy chair with a view of rolling hills, a fire snapping quietly in the hearth, a cup of real cocoa in a favorite mug, and a plate of homemade cookies. A Week in Winter is such a tale.

Moorgate is an enchanting old country house that belongs to Maudie Todhunter, a spirited widow who has been
Published February 17th 2003 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Week in Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Week in Winter

Start your review of A Week in Winter
Margitte
The blurb says it is a book for a cozy long weekend in front of a warm fire, or something like that. That it is.

Somewhere in England, nestled in the Cornwall area, an enchanting old farmhouse, called, Moorgate, stood dilapidated in disgraceful despair. Abandoned and sad, it was just a matter of time before the gracious old house gave up pretense and succumb to her destiny.

The Todhunters were the owners and for many years Moorgate was a place where the family spend happy summer holidays
MomToKippy
An unenthusiastic 3 stars. This is a Rosamunde Pilcher wannabe book. Same setting, lots of descriptive imagery of the Cornwall countryside, relationships spanning generations etc. But it is somehwat flat in my opinion. Just does not give me that same cozy feel. I don't feel I come to know the characters in the same way as Pilcher's or Binchy's. The second half of the book is more interesting than the first. I enjoyed the story between Melissa and Rob however and Patrick's emancipation. meh
Elinor
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Being a nut for old houses, I couldn't resist this book, set partly in an old farmhouse called Moorgate at the edge of the Cornish moors. The house, and the descriptions of nature, were the highlights of this novel. Otherwise it was a little bland -- other reviewers have compared Marcia Willett to Rosamund Pilcher but I liked Pilcher's books far better. And although I always enjoy a good, long read, this book just seemed way too wordy. The big bonus was a happy ending.
Cathy Ryan
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Maudie Todhunter, Hector’s second wife, is recently widowed and has decided to sell Moorgate, the family’s holiday home, for much-needed funds. Her step daughter, Selina, has always hated Maudie through jealousy and her need to always come first. She has never forgiven Maudie for ‘taking her mother’s place’ and is obsessed with the need to possess, whether it’s people or things. Her continued hostility and bitterness eventually takes its toll on her long-suffering family. Selina’s daughter, ...more
Trisha
Mar 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
If you are a fan of Maeve Binchy and Rosamunde Pilcher, you will enjoy this story.
This author has a down to earth style, which engages you through the entire book.
Relationships are opened up in a family - Maude decides to sell Moorgate after being widowed for a year. Hector, her husband, had children from his first marriage and one of the girls, Selina, wants to buy Moorgate (which is situated on the edge of the moor in Cornwall).
But Rob, the contractor who has been renovating the property, has
Adrienne
I'd never heard of this book or its author, but I found it on clearance at B&N and was intrigued enough to pick it up. All in all, it was okay. I'm not sure whether I'll read it again.

PROS: The imagery (the novel is set in the English countryside) was GORGEOUS. The author really makes you feel as if you were there. The characters were relatable and likable, and the conclusion was tidy and generally happy. The story is told from several perspectives, which I enjoyed.

CONS: Adultery plays a
Hannah
Apr 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Hannah by: Susan
Reminded me alot of the books by Alexandra Raife, in both the descriptive setting each author uses as well as the relationship struggles between the characters.

Where Willet didn't fully satisfy me was in writing too much "filler". It prevented the story from being as tight as I would have preferred. Cutting out an unnecessary storyline (view spoiler) and taking out 50-75 pages would have, IMO, allowed the central story to sing.

I did enjoy
Tkjtwmr
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-recommended
I put in a request at the library for A week in Winter--by Maeve Binchy. This is what I ended up with--Willett is not as good a writer as Binchy by a long shot although I think her last few book are not as good as those she wrote earlier. A rather large cast of characters, all interconnected the meetings of which tell the story. Dressed up Harlequin!!
Lauren
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh God I am the biggest sucker ever for a cozy book set in a big home in Cornwall! I just adore them all and this one certainly didn't disappoint. Perfect for curling up with a hot cup of tea.
Bonny
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, audio
Sometimes you really need a book to take you away from reality and your present situation. Thank you, Marcia Willett, for doing that, even if it was only temporary.
Roberta
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Despite what some reviewers said, I found absolutely no comparison between Marcia Willett and either Rosamunde Pilcher or Maeve Binchey stylistically. Nor did I find the story to be "cozy". Part One, all 115 pages of it, could have been reduced by half and nothing would've been lost. It was so repetitive, in fact, that there were actually times when I thought, "Didn't I just read this, word for word, like 20 pages ago? Did I lose my place?" Part Two was a little better and Part Three was better ...more
Sma
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I know, I know the cover makes you want to puke. But it was an unexpectedly good read. Cozy is the right word. As the name hints, it's the perfect book to read deep in winter wrapped in a warm quilt against the fireplace as snow falls outside. The characters are not lacking, the scenery lovely and Maudie is the comforting soul you can talk to languidly in these moments. And she wears tartan skirts. What more could one want?

I've come back to this book quite a few times.

And I've just realised
Kay
Oct 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Got this book totally by accident. I went to the library website to reserve the new Maeve Binchy (same title)and obviously didn't read what I clicked on too well. It turned out to be a nice accident. I enjoyed this cozy book and would have given it 4 stars if the characters had more than one dimension and the word "whilst" wasn't used on every page.
Kelly
Nov 08, 2010 rated it liked it
It wasn't a bad story, but I believe the book was way longer than it needed to be. The author dragged out the story so long that I was beginning to wonder why she titled the book as she did. It was a nice story though.
Melissa
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Fabulous story set in England, centered around a house and a family. Gorgeous descriptions.
Sue
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, england
Lady Maudie Todhunter can’t afford to keep the country house, Moorgate, any longer and puts it on the market. Several people express interest in buying the property – each for their own reason: Maudie’s step-daughter Selina (to keep it in the family), Rob Abbot (contractor who completed the repairs ahead of it being put on the market) Melissa Clayton (finds it to be exactly what she needs in the midst of her own concerns). Who will actually be the buyer?
Giving this 3 stars because of Selina,
Carolyn
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very finely woven story that was full of surprises. I'm not sure how this book came onto my radar as I'd never heard of this author before, but I'm so glad it did. Well-formed characters and vivid geographical details are the backbone of this story about love, family and all the "messy human bits" of both.
Jean St.Amand
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Every time I read this book I love it; no wonder I can't give it away. It's such a mix of happy and sad, funny and aggravating (really just one character was aggravating but she was meant to be). I love the love stories and the relationships...just love it all. Will read it again some day. It's a keeper.
Sonia Schoenfield
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comfort-reads
What a delight. This is totally my kind of book. It reminds me a lot of Winter Solstice by Rosamund Pilcher. Great characters, each with their own story but sharing connections to each other. Great setting, Cornwall, with an enchanted house called Moorgate. And by the end, each of the stories is resolved, although some more than others. I loved this book.
Gail
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A totally enjoyable slice-of-life story. The book centers around a house in Cornwall that the main character, Maude, decides to sell because she can use the money. Family relationships in present and past are woven around the story of the history of ownership of the farmhouse, Moorgate.
Angie
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For someone who has read and re-read all of Rosamunde Pilcher's books numerous times, I was excited to find another author whose style is similar to Ms. Pilcher's. If you're looking for a nice, long, rambling read for a cold winter's evening, then this is a good choice.
Trine K. Christensen
Oct 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
Why do I kleep reading her books?? They a the book version of sleeping pills.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, ever happens in her books!!! it's like trying to read "days of our lives" where it takes 10 episodes before they done with one cup of coffee.
Subhransu Panda
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
It oscillates between a bit boring and super exciting. The ending in contrast was just okay. Great characters. Almost relatable. It could have been a little smaller. There are a lot of time devoted to description and exposition in the first half that might be a bit boring. Otherwise a fine book.
Bookworman
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
Like Maeve Binchy's books, Marcia Willett's stories are similar to Rosamunde Pilcher but there's something missing. Not sure what: too dark, don't connect or like her main characters, I don't know but after trying several of both of these authors' books, they're not my cup of tea.
JA Houghton
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Easy read and lovely story
Ktnace
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It always seems that a book from a English Author takes me forever to read. This one was worth it!
Chitraj Kaur
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Good read for a long weekend. Though a typical English romance, the story is quite dramatic.
Gershi
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was my “blind date” from the library. I wasn’t so sure I was going to like it. I am so glad I decided to read this book. I loved it start to finish!
Kim
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Did not care for bitchy older woman that took up too many pages in an otherwise good book.
Diane
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
While the storyline was intriguing and I enjoyed many of the characters, the "week in winter" aspect and what followed was a bit too "romance-y" for me. I still found it a good commuter read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Love Child
  • Daughters Of The Moon
  • The Keys To The Garden
  • Winter Solstice
Marcia Willett began her career as a novelist when she was fifty years old. Since that first novel Marcia has written twenty more under her own name as well as a number of short stories. She has also written four books under the pseudonym "Willa Marsh", and is published in more than sixteen countries.

Marcia Willett's early life was devoted to the ballet, but her dreams of becoming a ballerina