Start by marking “Geek Girl: Šprtka” as Want to Read:
Geek Girl: Šprtka

Geek Girl: Šprtka

(Geek Girl #1)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  16,881 ratings  ·  2,216 reviews
"Volám sa Harriet Mannersová a som šprtka," hovorí o sebe hlavná hrdinka tejto knihy. Vie, že mačka má tridsaťdva svalov v každom uchu, že "okamih" trvá stotinu sekundy a že priemerný človek sa smeje pätnásť ráz za deň. Vie, že netopiere sa vždy vydajú doľava, keď vyletia z jaskyne, a že arašidy sú jednou zo zložiek dynamitu. No nevie, prečo sa jej v škole nikto nepáči. Pr ...more
Published November 2016 by Ikar (first published February 28th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Geek Girl, please sign up.
Lobstergirl No. If it is good, that is independent of the fact that your sisters got it.
Jessica The font is perfectly fine, they are not small at all. And yes, I personally had a good laugh :)

·  16,881 ratings  ·  2,216 reviews

Aj the Ravenous Reader
This is exactly what I needed after reading Second Chance Summer and Some Girls Are- a fun, hilarious coming off age story. I felt like I laughed from start to finish. Harriet’s story could be compared to the Ugly Duckling’s except when Harriet transforms, she still ends up being herself and I thought that was great. She’s a certified geek from start to end and I loved that about the story. Although Harriet transforms, it’s mostly inner transformation. In the end, she earns self-confidence and r ...more
Lola
This was juvenile and very dramatic, but also VERY entertaining. How often do you read books about geeks that become models? Or modeling, period? Over-the-top for sure, but it still makes me want more. Looking forward to more of Harriet's misadventures in the modeling and fashion world.
Pang
Love this! A nerd girl turn to be the model. Why this not happen to me? *Jeeez I'm a jealous thing* The writing style is really hilarious, it made me lol and have smile shone on my face, I love it! My new fave comedy read this year and I want more!
Laura Noakes
Ah. This book. I really had to mull over my feelings before writing a review because it wasn’t all horrible – there were some funny moments and some really heart-warming moments and I have to say that I thought it was written very well. But me and this book did not gel one iota.

First of all, Harriet. Harriet is our main character and self proclaimed ‘geek girl’. Harriet is meant to be fifteen, but she is more naïve then my thirteen year old sister. This was my first gripe. Harriet’s entire perso
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

1) Geek Girl - ★★★★

Even though I kept hearing great things about Geek Girl, I never really happened to read it. A month ago, my teen sister borrowed the whole Geek Girl series and told me this is something I must check off my list. And here I am one month later - loving the first book!

Geek Girl tells the story of a young teen Harriet, who is a geek and gets bullied at her school. She might know all the science answers, but she has no clue why pe
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Thank you HarperCollins Australia for sending me this copy. No compensation was given or taken to alter this review.

geek
gi:k/
informal
noun
noun: geek; plural noun: geeks

1. an unfashionable or socially inept person.

Geek Girl is another one of those reads that have a bucket full of flaws, but is so entertaining and laid back that some of them just disappear. And that's totally cool every now and again. An imperfectly perfect novel.

Harriet Manners is a geek;
Galadrielė
May 08, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
☆1/5☆

DNF @ 8%

This thing is just not for me. I feel like my IQ degrades while reading this &@%#...

It's not even a guilty pleasure read..

Really.. #sorry not sorry
Chelsey Ellice
Enjoyed this book. I can't believe how mean Alexa is... such a bully, I don't like them!! I'm glad Harriet stands up for her self in the end. I can relate a little to Harriet, well when I was younger... I always wished I could be someone else and that events and decisions would help that. But it's not true, we are who we are. I loved when Harriet and Nick did the interview together and how she spoke from the heart. And I loved how it ended
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Hilarious, model, school, bullies, geeky.

I'd heard a lot about Geek Girl before I picked it up. I'd even bought it months beforehand. Even my none-bookish sister had read it and was raving about it and asking when I was getting the next book. I'd even started it, reading the first 15 chapters before my sister decided she'd like it better.

So I don't know why it took the book being picked as the Fashionista Book Club read for me to read it. Because I'd enjoyed the start, and I'd heard so
Carlie K
this review is originally posted on The Bookish Girl
----------------------------------------------
You can buy the book from Bookdepository
A geek + a super model = Harriet Manners

The above equation is basically the synopsis of this book (*wink*) but I'll give you another version of it just in case you don't like Maths.

Harriet Manners is a full-time geek, which means she's the opposite of popular.
Lisa (lifeinlit)
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Have you guys read this book yet? Oh man, it’s SO FUN! Let’s chat about it, shall we?

“You need to stop caring what people who don’t matter think of you. Be who you are and let everybody else be who they are. Differences are a good thing.”

Okay, let’s face it… most of us are geeks, right? Or at least have some geekish tendencies. I sure do. And I believe that’s why I loved this book so much. Harriet is the type of MC you can’t help but love. She’s such a stereotypical geek, but in the best possibl
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Visit Stay Bookish for more book reviews!

Fun is the one perfect word I can think of that sums up Geek Girl. I picked it up on a pretty dull day and it easily put me in a happy mood as I laughed because of the hilarious MC and the delightful events that lead to her from being unpopular geek to becoming a model for a top UK fashion powerhouse as well as the events that occur after. Seriously, it was just such a fun book! Why? Let me list the reasons.

1. True to the title, Harriet Manners is a geek.
Stacey (prettybooks)
I'm going to a Geek Girl party this weekend, in which I'll be surrounded by many of my fellow UK book blogging friends, participating in a 'geek quiz', playing ping pong, and nibbling on snacks. As I don't particularly enjoy the slightly awkward feeling of attending a book event without having read the book (it feels a bit fraudulent), I decided to pick up Geek Girl. And I'm rather glad I did.

Geek Girl is a fun, quirky roller-coaster I didn't see coming. A super quick read, it's the story of 15-
Alaina
I had no idea how to rate this or even what to talk about when I finished this book.

Geek Girl was a book that has been on my TBR for a while. Then when I saw it on my audible romance package - well, I went for it. However, I can't decide if it was the narrator, accent or just the MC that I didn't like. I mean, the story was okay and everything but other than that - I have no idea how I feel.

Harriet was cool and all but I don't see the problem with being a geek. She got bullied at school because
Rebekah
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love. So much love.

What worked: Officially one of my new favourite series. Seriously. It’s up there with Delirium, Chronicles of Narnia, Kate Daniels and Georgia Nicholson! When I first saw Geek Girl, I was expecting something fluffy and light that I could absorb into my brain. Did I get that? Yes. But what else did I get from it? I got my geek on, I learned new facts that I can throw at my friends, I found a kindred spirit. Holly Smale, can we be best friends?

I can barely write a coherent rev
Clair
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, fiction
Holly Smale's début novel is a story about a geeky girl who accidentally falls into the modelling business after being scouted at a clothes show. Normally, I'm not really a fan of the 'geek girl fixes her hair up and wears contacts and OMG she's so pretty without her glasses/geeky jumpers/bushy hair' trope, though I have enjoyed similar material in the past. Meg Cabot's The Princess Diaries are nice and fluffy, and Hermione's transformation to belle of the Yule Ball in Harry Potter and the Goble ...more
Samina ~ Escapism~
My ratings: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Before I go nose diving into my review, I have a confession to make. I’m a geek. Let’s make a big massive GEEK. In fact I’m pretty sure I’m Harriett Manners. Or perhaps Harriett is modelled after every Geek girl out there. Harriett was so real to me. It felt like story was being told. Well, I’m not exactly model material but I’d like to think I am.

Harriett is your average geek girl next door, complete with a fashion crazy best friend and a geeky stalker. She was you
BookHeroin
I don't remember laughing this hard while reading a book. That was so funny and humours. The characters are SO cute and loveable. Everything was witty and ... CUTE!

for sure recommend this to everyone who wants to have a fast, witty, and funny read. :)
Faye
Read: January 2018
Rating: 3.5/5 stars

Geek Girl was on a long list of books my teenage daughter has recommended that I read, and I can see why she likes it. Harriet is a quirky, likeable protagonist and the plot is entertaining and easy to follow. I especially like the fact that Harriet has a loving and healthy relationship with her dad and step-mother.

The only reason this was not a four star read was that the plot became more and more unrealistic towards the end of the novel; there's no way (vi
Airah ♔
Meet Harriet Manners -- our resident 15 y/o geek girl.

"I'm not a big fan of the colour red, even if it is the longest wavelength of light discernible by the human eye."

Well, my fave color is red, and I didn't know that.

Let me tell you, I feel pretty giddy whenever I start a book. I believe that no book can be so bad that it doesn't contain even a single new knowledge or information.

Fortunately, this book is full of them. I'm seriously learning lots of actual trivias while reading this YA goo
Cheryl
This was a fun, light read that was just perfect for me since I had just finished A Court of Thorns and Roses. It only took a few hours to read and was well written. The only part I didn't like was how childish Harriet's dad acts. I mean he acts like he's 13 years old on a good day. Other then that, it was good and shows the reader that what really counts Ina person is what is on the inside, not the outside.

I will be reading the next few books of this series because 1) I want to see what happen
Glass Fairy
I'd recommend this book maybe for 13-15 year olds?
It's a cutesy, light, slightly annoying teenage book, I literally only paid 50p for it, but I think I'm more put out by the amount of time I spent reading it (which was only a few hours but still..)
I gave it 3 stars because it wasn't wasn't bad book, it's just not my kind of read, personally I wanted to give it 1 star, but if I was a teenager I'd have loved it, sooo...3 stars!
Yoda
Geek Girl is about a pretty normal girl, a bit quirky, that gets spotted at a school trip.
It was an okay read but mostly predictable. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I regret buying the whole series right away..
The character of Toby was annoying and not really needed for the story.
I love fun facts and that was probably the thing I liked the most about this book.
 ♥ Rebecca ♥
Dec 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tweens and fans of Stargirl and The Princess Diaries
This review can also be found on my blog: A Match Made in Heaven

This was a typical coming-of-age story. Very predictable. Harriet is picked on in school and when she is offered a modelling job, she accepts hoping it will change her life for the better. But she soon realizes that there are bullies wherever you go, and the trick is to ignore them, be yourself, and remember what is really important.

This was very brief. I read it in two sittings, and not much really happened. Her modeling career c
AH
Woo hoo! First book read in 2015!

Geek Girl was a surprisingly quick and entertaining read. Our heroine Harriet was both lovable and sweet and so geeky and adorable. Harriet has always lived in the periphery - she often feels like a "polar bear in the rain forest," which may or may not be a good thing. Harriet often finds herself in all sorts of wacky situations and her primary coping mechanism is to dive under a table and hide. While on a field trip to Birmingham, Harriet is discovered by a larg
LydiaMae
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 10+
This book, tagged Young Adult 400+ times, is MIDDLE GRADE.
I don't give books that I didn't finish more than a two star rating, hence the reason that I am rating this two stars.

The main reason I dnf-ed this book is because I went into this thinking it was YA. When I read Middle Grade or Children or Young Adult books, I have to get into the mindset of that age range, and me going into this, thinking it was YA isn't a great start.
Also, I know you shouldn't go into a book with expectations, but I di
Maddie
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading in preparations for Forever Geek! This is such a great debut to a series, I love seeing the origins of these characters. The Russian modelling adventure was one I'd forgotten about, but it's so iconic as the beginning of Harriet's modelling journey, ahh, on to Model Misfit!
Kristina
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't put it into words how much I loved this book!

It was funny, quirky, heartwarming and realistic. I laughed out loud so many times!

Thanks Holly Smale for the wonderful experience! Can't wait to continue with the series! :)
Dawnie
This was fun and easy and what i expect it to be with the amount of overdone fluff, grin worthy lines and completely overdone "joke" moments.

It clearly is a book targeted towards younger girls and i knew that going in and it was what i wanted: something silly and fun and easy to read and this book is exactly that!

I enjoyed that Harriet is actually a smart and "geeky" girl that enjoys learning and learning facts that you will never ever need in "real" life (which i could relate really well to be
TS
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poc-rep, 3-stars
it was funny and fun, and entertaining, and definitely a quick read, but I feel like I would have enjoyed this so much more if I read this at the age of 14-16 (which would have been an impossibility to begin with, since this came out in 2013, which would have made me already 18 at the time. Gd I'm old -- did this review just become another medium in which I have an existential quarter-life crisis? maybe.)

I'm still interested enough to find out what happens in the subsequent novels, and I love ch

• Infinite Sky (Infinite Sky, #1)
  • Emma Hearts LA (Hearts Series, #2)
  • The Last Dance
  • Heart-Shaped Bruise
  • Undone
  • Me and Mr J
  • A Change Is Gonna Come
  • Under My Skin
  • Dead Jealous (Poppy Sinclair, #1)
  • Blaze (or Love in the Time of Supervillains)
  • The Book (The Bell Collection)
  • Noble Conflict
  • Diary of a Mall Girl
  • Cruel Summer
  • Smuggler's Kiss
  • Life Was Cool Until You Got Popular
  • You Don't Know Me
  • Verkikkerd (Verkikkerd #1)
Holly is the Number One bestselling, multi-award winning author of the GEEK GIRL series.

She fell in love with writing at five years old, when she realised that books didn't grow on trees like apples. A passion for travel, adventure and wearing no shoes has since led her all over the world: she has visited 27 countries, spent two years working as an English teacher in Japan, volunteered in Nepal,

Geek Girl (6 books)
  • Model Misfit (Geek Girl, #2)
  • Picture Perfect (Geek Girl, #3)
  • All That Glitters (Geek Girl, #4)
  • Head Over Heels (Geek Girl, #5)
  • Forever Geek (Geek Girl, #6)
“Nobody hopped into a wardrobe to find Narnia; they hopped in, thinking it was just a wardrobe. They didn't climb up the Faraway Tree, knowing it was a Faraway Tree; they thought it was just a really big tree. Harry Potter thought he was a normal boy; Mary Poppins was supposed to be a regular nanny. It's the first and only rule. Magic comes when you're not looking for it.” 154 likes
“I didn't need to transform after all.
My name is Harriet Manners and I am a geek.
And maybe that's not so bad after all.”
75 likes